Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Would anyone take Robert Snodgrass?? Not saying he is rumoured to come just a player who I reckon could do the job outwide

NVM he is still only 30, thought he was a lot older, he'll make an EPL or championship side quite easily

Also the other player I was thinking was Jedinak, if we got rid of Budz, would anyone be happy with Jedinak as a marquee???

I wouldnt want him, but would like to know other people's thoughts

9 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Would anyone take Robert Snodgrass?? Not saying he is rumoured to come just a player who I reckon could do the job outwide

NVM he is still only 30, thought he was a lot older, he'll make an EPL or championship side quite easily

Also the other player I was thinking was Jedinak, if we got rid of Budz, would anyone be happy with Jedinak as a marquee???

I wouldnt want him, but would like to know other people's thoughts

Two blokes from Villa. Two blokes who almost made it to the Prem. Far too high a pedigree for us.

Of course I would take either of them in a heartbeat....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

Was at the youth game on Sat night, heard Caceres is in Melbourne.....hmmmmm Interesting

Not really, we only loaned him out. He's still a contracted City player for now and as a result he would likely still live in Melbourne 

EDIT: got that wrong, forgot he was loaned to us

Edited by Embee

3 hours ago, Embee said:

Not really, we only loaned him out. He's still a contracted City player for now and as a result he would likely still live in Melbourne 

EDIT: got that wrong, forgot he was loaned to us

He's contracted to Manchester City until 30th June 2020. The UAE League is in its off-season now, so effectively his season loan to them is over and he's back with Manchester.

I'd like to see him back with us next season.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

1 month later...have we announced anything other then players leaving and esports shit? No ? Okay 

Based on last off-season I don't think you'll see much on Australian players until mid-June at the earliest, or visa/loan players (if any) until July/August.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

OFF SEASON SO FAR

Out - Tongyik, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Jakobsen, Muscat, Mauk

IN - 

Have we seen this much players being shown the door in the history of City/Heart in the off season ? it's only the beginning

Yes, unfortunately, it's more the rule than the exception. It's one of the reasons why we struggle with success as we can never build on our previous achievements

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, unfortunately, it's more the rule than the exception. It's one of the reasons why we struggle with success as we can never build on our previous achievements

But of those above mentioned departures only Jakobsen was a 1st team starter. 

I get that we are probably the highest turnover club in the League but when you look at each individual scenario most make sense. 

• Like 3

1 ) Nearly every team makes 4-7 cuts at the conclusion of each season. Usually these are kids that didnt make it, squaddies, or fringe best XI players going to another club for better opportunity. You then get the couple players that leave of their own accord follow. Pretty standard.

2) Once everyone has been released, clubs usually announce the new signings. As JW shows on his contract thread, they end at 31 May. Hence why Mauk was only announced at Brisbane yesterday despite it being common knowledge for a week. Any announcements prior to that depend on releases being granted by clubs etc.

3) Mariners have gutted their (almost) entire squad. They've cut far more players than us, and far more best XI players. We may well stand to have retained the most starting XI players of any club by the time next season starts.

4)I can't think of too many 'releases' Heart/City have made over the last 4 seasons (when we've pretty much 'achieved' nothing) that weren't valid or people were genuinely upset about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bt50 said:

1 ) Nearly every team makes 4-7 cuts at the conclusion of each season. Usually these are kids that didnt make it, squaddies, or fringe best XI players going to another club for better opportunity. You then get the couple players that leave of their own accord follow. Pretty standard.

2) Once everyone has been released, clubs usually announce the new signings. As JW shows on his contract thread, they end at 31 May. Hence why Mauk was only announced at Brisbane yesterday despite it being common knowledge for a week. Any announcements prior to that depend on releases being granted by clubs etc.

3) Mariners have gutted their (almost) entire squad. They've cut far more players than us, and far more best XI players. We may well stand to have retained the most starting XI players of any club by the time next season starts.

4)I can't think of too many 'releases' Heart/City have made over the last 4 seasons (when we've pretty much 'achieved' nothing) that weren't valid or people were genuinely upset about.

Exactly. Plus you could add to that we don’t really need to add much more to the IX imo. So naturally the signings will take longer as more caution can be taken. 

Probably first time in a long time our starting IX won’t change that much from the previous season.

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Exactly. Plus you could add to that we don’t really need to add much more to the IX imo. So naturally the signings will take longer as more caution can be taken. 

Probably first time in a long time our starting IX won’t change that much from the previous season.

Realistically i think we need to sign a left winger, a 10, a CB and perhaps another mid, particularly if Malik leaves. All other positions are pretty much settled (GK, LB, RB, 1 x CB, DM RW, ST) Given we have 2, maybe 3 visa spots open, and potentially a marquee slot, logic dictates that we probably aren't going to see any foreign signings until post WC when the dust settles on European movement. IMO we'll see De Silva announced shortly and with any luck that will hopefully see a front 4 made up of Bruno, Vidosic, Arzani, Da Silva and Visa (marquee?) winger with one of those as a sub/backup. Very strong.

There'd be very few times in our history where we'd carry 7 or more of our best XI from the previous year forward where we've released the others, so things are looking good imo.

Edited by bt50

29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

There'd be very few times in our history where we'd carry 7 or more of our best XI from the previous year forward where we've released the others, so things are looking good imo.

Well actually last season off the top of my head we retained alot of 1st team players from the previous season. 

Mind you what was regarded a 1st teamer the season before didn't pan out last season. And ultimately they walked in January. 

But I'm in agreement with the sentiments posted earlier that generally speaking we have a very decent core 8 or 9 and we only need 3 or 4 genuine starting players to put together a very decent side.

But we won't know much until August early September. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2018 at 11:11 AM, Jovan said:

Well actually last season off the top of my head we retained alot of 1st team players from the previous season. 

Mind you what was regarded a 1st teamer the season before didn't pan out last season. And ultimately they walked in January. 

But I'm in agreement with the sentiments posted earlier that generally speaking we have a very decent core 8 or 9 and we only need 3 or 4 genuine starting players to put together a very decent side.

But we won't know much until August early September. 

This is how the squad stands at the moment:

Image deleted.

Edited by jw1739

Core players: Fornaroli, Schenkeveld, Malik, Bouzanis, Vidosic, Brattan, Arzani, Jamieson, Atkinson and Bozanic - Great group of players to build upon. 

Hope Brattan stays on at Melbourne City FC.

Has Luke Brattan moved on?

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

4) I can't think of too many 'releases' Heart/City have made over the last 4 seasons (when we've pretty much 'achieved' nothing) that weren't valid or people were genuinely upset about.

I disagree. Christian Cavallo is a big loss. I'm not sure how we will be able to find a replacement for him. His solitary minute on an A-league pitch was immense. He didn't actually touch the ball but he was massive that game, allowing us to hold a 2-1 lead against Adelaide back in 2016. 

Big mistake by the club. Heads need to roll. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

I disagree. Christian Cavallo is a big loss. I'm not sure how we will be able to find a replacement for him. His solitary minute on an A-league pitch was immense. He didn't actually touch the ball but he was massive that game, allowing us to hold a 2-1 lead against Adelaide back in 2016. 

Big mistake by the club. Heads need to roll. 

Forgot about that, my bad. Oh and Robbie Koren too.

• Like 1

It's not a question of individual players, it's easy to justify each decision, but there needs to be some substantial continuity from season to season in order to change the culture in the men's team, otherwise we keep doing the same things every season and finishing the season in much the same place with regard to the cultural change. 

things have changed over previous seasons, however, the pace of change is slower then it is able to be and this is one of the major influences on this. It's the same effect as working in a business that is trying to bring about cultural change through constant restructuring, it sure brings about a cultural change but never the desired one

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Core players: Fornaroli, Schenkeveld, Malik, Bouzanis, Vidosic, Brattan, Arzani, Jamieson, Atkinson and Bozanic - Great group of players to build upon. 

Hope Brattan stays on at Melbourne City FC.

Has Luke Brattan moved on?

None of Brattan, Malik and Bozanic is currently a City player. We can anticipate that they will eventually stay, but that's an assumption and not a given. Likewise I would say at least one of the rumoured interests in De Silva, Wales and Rose from CCM will result in a signature, but again that's not a given. It's early days.

However, and conservatively, I would say there are 7 starters in my list above - Bouzanis, Jamieson, Atkinson, Shenkeveld, Arzani, Fornaroli and Vidosic.

Usually in offseasons and transfer periods, there are a lot of rumours thrown about in which we are linked to player x,y,z. 

Seems that perhaps Warran is keeping his cards close to his chest to avoid any leaks??? Or perhaps avoid another Troisi like situation

Only problem I have is that we see a new MCY every season it’s ridiculous, only positive side is that it should happen when we haven’t won shit , which is pretty much every season we had besides the FFA CUP lol

Edited by Afif Adam
Hm typo

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

That great group of core players and coaches achieved nothing to be remembered last season. 

It takes time to build a solid resilient winning culture. Our list was good enough last season and we collapsed in the finals again. Every year we start again trying to create a 'perfect list' when the list is good enough. This constant reinvention has a detrimental impact on culture development. I'm not suggesting that there be no player turnover, only that the balance is in the wrong place

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic