Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The rationale behind the appointment of Warren Joyce becomes more apparent doesn't it? 

"I think right now, where we are for the next three years, is a mixture of the two," he (Marwood) continued.

"We don't want to lose sight of being successful but at the same time, we have to develop and grow the business.

"So to pay for all of the academy programs and everything else we have to do, we have to generate revenue."

I've had this really bad feeling that CFG are more like CBF when it comes to wanting to win with our club. 

I personally dont give a fuck if we have a big name "stadium filler" marquee so if the club doesn't do that, im content with what. I want to just us to win the league. 

BUT if we are honestly going to be here just to shoot out players like Arzani for a profit then whats the point for supporting it. 

Maybe thats why Victory keep winning shit and we dont. People want to win at that club from the CEO, to the cunt that cleans the toilets. 

• Like 2

Keisuke Honda on A-League marquee hit list

AAP-small-rgb-jpg_114153.jpg
Vince Rugari
Australian Associated Press11 May 2018, 4:04 pm

Japanese star Keisuke Honda is on a shortlist of six players in the sights of Football Federation Australia as it looks to inject the A-League with some marquee magic next season.

As the governing body continues its bold pursuit of Andres Iniesta, AAP understands several other big-name players from around the world have been contacted over possible moves to Australia to try to boost flagging crowds and TV ratings.

Ex-AC Milan midfielder Honda is one of them.

The 31-year-old is on the lookout for a new home after recently announcing he will leave Mexican club Pachuca at the end of the season to "try new things".

Capped 93 times for the Japanese national team, the blonde-haired Honda played at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. He was part of the team who beat the Socceroos to win the Asian Cup in 2011.

He scored 10 times in 29 appearances this term in the Mexican Liga MX.

Professional Footballers Australia is believed to have helped FFA put together a shortlist of potential marquee signings, which includes Honda, in a concerted effort to bring more-established stars to the A-League.

Several clubs have shown interest in using a $3 million fund provided by Fox Sports for marquee players, but the finer details of how it will be used are yet to be ironed out.

It's understood no call has been made yet on whether clubs will be given a third marquee slot, as had been the case two years ago with Melbourne City's signing of Tim Cahill.

Keisuke Honda

Keisuke Honda. Pic: Getty

More

Honda has a bigger profile than Shinji Ono, who had lit up the A-League in his two seasons with Western Sydney. He is viewed as a much more-realistic proposition than Iniesta, should FFA's bid for the Barcelona legend fall short as expected.

The A-League simply cannot compete with some of the offers Iniesta is likely to field worldwide.

But FFA's strategy will centre on lifestyle - much like Sydney FC's pitch to Alessandro Del Piero - as well as the Spaniard's interest in food and wine.

Iniesta is a budding winemaker and has his own label, Bodega Iniesta.

Whether the relative anonymity he could enjoy in Australia compared to China or Japan will be enough to convince him to make an enormous financial sacrifice remains to be seen.

FFA chiefs still believe they're at least in with a shot, though, and remain in dialogue with Iniesta's management through an intermediary.

Iniesta, 34, told media in Spain he would make a decision in the next week to 10 days.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/keisuke-honda-league-marquee-hit-list-060455041--spt.html

487107.jpg?b64lines=IE9oLi4uIEp1c3QgcHJvbWlzZSBtZSB5b3UKIHdvbid0IHBsYXkgYW55IG1vcmUKIHByYWN0aWNhbCBqb2tlcw==

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The rationale behind the appointment of Warren Joyce becomes more apparent doesn't it? 

"I think right now, where we are for the next three years, is a mixture of the two," he (Marwood) continued.

"We don't want to lose sight of being successful but at the same time, we have to develop and grow the business.

"So to pay for all of the academy programs and everything else we have to do, we have to generate revenue."

"We don't want to lose sight of being successful" = we need to reach the semi-finals so that success is in sight

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

One bastard that Wazza would actually like (and play) is Ki. Ticks quite a few boxes, especially with his employers almost certainly relegated.

To quote @jw1739 from a long time ago “well it’s not my money, is it”

Man would be such a good signing.

At 29 though he'd find a club easily in europe

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

One bastard that Wazza would actually like (and play) is Ki. Ticks quite a few boxes, especially with his employers almost certainly relegated.

To quote @jw1739 from a long time ago “well it’s not my money, is it”

Pretty hard to know what we're going to do in the current climate. So far none of the rumours (De Silva, Wales, Liam Rose, Gulum etc.) have been confirmed by an announcement from City, and the various statements attributed to Marwood don't suggest that we're going to splash any money around on visa players.

We're in that "wait and see" period.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty hard to know what we're going to do in the current climate. So far none of the rumours (De Silva, Wales, Liam Rose, Gulum etc.) have been confirmed by an announcement from City, and the various statements attributed to Marwood don't suggest that we're going to splash any money around on visa players.

I reackon we won't here much until after the world cup. Late July /August. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes.

”the vibe” last season suggested that we were close to the cap, despite being down on numbers. So what will happen depends on how much $ are available and the decision on Budzinski and how that relates to the A League rules.

Cant imagine much will happen quickly, but hey we have to talk about something 

7 hours ago, neio said:

I'd be staggered if Gulum doesn't join us, he wants to be in Melbourne and we have the spot for him. It fits perfectly 

Gulum is still on loan from a CSL side I think, they may want him back, they may want the loan team to pay his $4million a year salary

34 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Gulum is still on loan from a CSL side I think, they may want him back, they may want the loan team to pay his $4million a year salary

Good thing we have the perception of being able to pay lots of money (hint the Scotsman) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fiji19 said:

Does anyone actually rate Gulum though? I think he has come back to late to the league thinking it was going to be easier for him, a bit like Eddy Bosnar at the mariners

I do, I think he is roughly the same as jakobsen. And is equal with Williams as the best Australian centre back in league 

He is a bit hot headed at times, but we need someone like that. We're too nice at times 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neio said:

I do, I think he is roughly the same as jakobsen. And is equal with Williams as the best Australian centre back in league 

He is a bit hot headed at times, but we need someone like that. We're too nice at times 

Well we can't trust your judgement then if you think Williams is the best centreback in the league....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

He did say Australian CB but I'd give that to Wilkinson. 

Wilkinson for sure.

Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league. Switches off constantly (which is why he ends up having to make some of those dramatic lunge tackles the Tards froth over) and is a walking red card.

Wilkinson and Boogard had better seasons and I'd have Gulum over him every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

He did say Australian CB but I'd give that to Wilkinson. 

4 minutes ago, Embee said:

Wilkinson for sure.

Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league. Switches off constantly (which is why he ends up having to make some of those dramatic lunge tackles the Tards froth over) and is a walking red card.

Embee with the save!!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Embee said:

Wilkinson for sure.

This.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Wilkinson for sure.

I’m still filthy over his tackle on Malik. 

39 minutes ago, dconder13 said:

Someone make a montage of all the filth mistimed tackles Williams made this season that should’ve got him sent off. Very very overrated 

...which explains why he is so highly regarded at victory. Fits their manager's values perfectly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No thanks. Couldn't get game time at the Jets for whatever reason so cant see why we'd want him.

Yeah I'd love to know why he didn't get game time, because as I've said multiple times on here, I think he's a gun and would love to have him.

Only thing I could possibly think of is perhaps being injury prone or he doesn't get back and defend - something Hoffy would do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Yeah I'd love to know why he didn't get game time, because as I've said multiple times on here, I think he's a gun and would love to have him.

Only thing I could possibly think of is perhaps being injury prone or he doesn't get back and defend - something Hoffy would do.

he played really well one of the games against us this season so maybe thats why i seem to think he is a gun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Pato Rodriguez under the cap ?? 

As far as official announcements go City is only confirming departures at this stage.  Once we start announcing new signings we'll have a better feel for the sort of squad Joyce is hoping to put together. But given Marwood's comments about a focus over the next three years on return on investment as well as winning, IMO we may not be in for too many exciting signings. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic