Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Very eloquently put. But I do think that people - and I am one of them - are finding that bossing matches and losing only because of one or more brain fades is getting just a little too familiar as an excuse. If you want to win silverware then brain fades are just not good enough.

If we only score 1 goal (or 0 goals) then 1 mistake is very likely to cost us the game, at very least cost us a win

18 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Looks like we missed out on Terry Antonis.

FB_IMG_1514866642447.jpg

That probably would've only served to annoy me further atm to be honest, we don't need another central midfielder, we already have a good one sitting in the reserves

Melbourne City set for a transfer window facelift after mid-season struggles

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun

MELBOURNE City looms as one of the busiest players in the January transfer window, as they struggle to satisfy their star-studded squad.

Polish marquee player Marcin Budzinski, barely sighted on the pitch in the last month, and last season’s best-and-fairest Neil Kilkenny headline the disgruntled players looking for a move when the transfer window opens on Wednesday.

In-form goal poacher Ross McCormack’s City future could be decided this week.

McCormack, who is on loan from Aston Villa, has been City’s chief avenue to goal, with his opener in Monday’s 2-1 loss at Western Sydney his eighth of the season.

City’s fast start to the season is now a distant memory, having lost six of their last nine games and three on the trot after giving up the lead to lose to the Wanderers, with McCormack having a penalty saved by keeper Vedran Janjetovic.

Coach Warren Joyce benched Stefan Mauk for the first time this season, presumably with an eye on his imminent departure for Olyroos duty along with fellow unused sub Ruon Tongyik and Bruce Kamau, who played 90 minutes.

City’s new signing Dario Vidosic is available to take on his old side Wellington on Saturday at AAMI Park, while more signings could follow.

Joyce hosed down such talk, but was left to lament costs errors in the loss to struggling Wanderers in front of 11,628 at ANZ Stadium.

“Just like any other team in the league you’ve got restrictions on what you do and what you can’t do,” Joyce said.

“If you keep giving two goals away in three minutes in good situations when you are in the lead in games, you are going to give yourself problems.

“Just the final pass or the final finish hasn’t been there. It’s harder to turn around if your playing badly. It’s individual mistakes really.”

Last season’s star performers Tim Cahill and Fernando Brandan have left in the last month, following Ivan Franjic’s pre-season exit.

Attacker Budzinski, who was signed as Nicolas Colazo’s marquee replacement, has played just 371 minutes this season and was an unused substitute for the second straight game when City were chasing a goal.

Budzinski has made just three starts, the last of which was on December 2 when he was taken off at half-time.

Kilkenny has played just 70 minutes in three substitute appearances, and has not featured on the teamsheet since the November 24 home loss to Perth Glory.

Edited by playmaker

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

According to the same guy who said Cahill was gone. Burns trialed with us and Joyce turned him down after it

Oh and now says McCormack is gone

Really Wazza, what’s wrong with Burns? Of course he has no man bun and can keep the ball up more than five times.

I'm starting to wonder if Joyce has a complex about players' performances at training being as important (or more important) than their match day performances.

While in an ideal world, the best performers on match day would also "train the house down" in training session after training session. But in reality, I doubt that's the case. I don't know, maybe South Americans sometimes take it a little easier at training (and save their full flare and passion for match day), which would perhaps explain why Cacceras took a handful of bench appearances before he could even get a single minute under Joyce, and why Brandan never seemed to come into Joyce's calculations (even after his fitness improved). Also, I'm sure the more experienced star players (such as a mr Tim Cahill) aren't always sprinting like crazy at training (perhaps due to ego, or managing their aging bodies, or both). And sure enough Joyce had a falling out with Cahill as well.

Could it be that skills suited for a youth team manager (of which demanding disciplined and strong training performances is probably one) don't translate into the job of being a senior team manager? Are some of Joyce's ingrained habits as a youth team coach holding him back with our senior team?

And just on the Nathan Burns speculation. It seems doubtful to me that a recent Johnny Warren winner like him wouldn't improve our team overall (at very least he would certainly improve our attack). I don't know about the ins and outs of this speculated situation. But I am increasingly wondering if Joyce is measuring the value of his senior footballers in the most accurate way, and if he's treating the MCFC senior team all like youth team players, and then sure enough he isn't getting the most out of the MCFC senior team.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just with the popovic replacing Joyce rumour I have it on extremely good authority that some players up north beyond the border have heard similar whispers. That's all I'm saying so don't bother asking who etc. 

Who Etc doesn't sound like the name of a Greek construction worker to me. Is it a nickname?

8 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I'm starting to wonder if Joyce has a complex about players' performances at training being as important (or more important) than their match day performances.

While in an ideal world, the best performers on match day would also "train the house down" in training session after training session. But in reality, I doubt that's the case. I don't know, maybe South Americans sometimes take it a little easier at training (and save their full flare and passion for match day), which would perhaps explain why Cacceras took a handful of bench appearances before he could even get a single minute under Joyce, and why Brandan never seemed to come into Joyce's calculations (even after his fitness improved). Also, I'm sure the more experienced star players (such as a mr Tim Cahill) aren't always sprinting like crazy at training (perhaps due to ego, or managing their aging bodies, or both). And sure enough Joyce had a falling out with Cahill as well.

Could it be that skills suited for a youth team manager (of which demanding disciplined and strong training performances is probably one) don't translate into the job of being a senior team manager? Are some of Joyce's ingrained habits as a youth team coach holding him back with our senior team?

And just on the Nathan Burns speculation. It seems doubtful to me that a recent Johnny Warren winner like him wouldn't improve our team overall (at very least he would certainly improve our attack). I don't know about the ins and outs of this speculated situation. But I am increasingly wondering if Joyce is measuring the value of his senior footballers in the most accurate way, and if he's treating the MCFC senior team all like youth team players, and then sure enough he isn't getting the most out of the MCFC senior team.

For those who follow AFL some people on this forum may remember Dermott Brereton saying that a certain coach name Joyce also trained the crap out of them during the week with the end result being that the team suffered more injuries and probably shorter careers. Of course the AFL Joyce went onto win premierships and then returned to being an assistant coach.

I also think that he is not judging things correctly.

8 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Just to add to that burns part. That same guy on twitter said the reason Burns was turned down is that he was made to do line runs and Joyce didn’t like his times. If this is true how the hell did Fat Forward get in...

18 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Just to add to that burns part. That same guy on twitter said the reason Burns was turned down is that he was made to do line runs and Joyce didn’t like his times. If this is true how the hell did Fat Forward get in...

I thought Burns was rapid.

Fat forward is there because Waz and him are both British fellas (even though Scotland don't like the term)

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well, that makes sense. if we are going to play with 8CBs and 1 forward then acceleration in the first 5m is very important

4 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Visitors just announced two signings. They're getting stronger and stronger at the right time. 

And we are a basket case . FFS

Where were you when we announced Vidosic a couple of days ago?

Djulbic is a shit cunt and a panic signing by the way, Antonis is decent enough but I wouldn't have him given our midfield depth at the moment. Nothing wrong with our squad bar the coach.

Regardless, couldn't care less about the Tards and what business they do or don't do tbh

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4

Burns would have been massive for us, but I don't think we could sign him under the cap without offloading Budzinksi. He would have been getting paid good coin in Japan and the Nix would be throwing everything at him to sign him, I think he would ask for more than Brandan was getting.

IIRC Burns mostly plays as a RW or Striker. So while he can do a job for us on the left, we'd need to at least move on Kamau or Fitzgerald plus free some cap space to get Burns (particularly if / should the club want other signings).

As much as some people here love ragging on Kamau, I doubt the club is wanting to move him on cheaply, which would mean signing Burns would overkill squad numbers in a few positions 

13 minutes ago, moops said:

Burns would have been massive for us, but I don't think we could sign him under the cap without offloading Budzinksi. He would have been getting paid good coin in Japan and the Nix would be throwing everything at him to sign him, I think he would ask for more than Brandan was getting.

Budzinski is a marque therefore exempt from the salary cap and having no impact on us signing Burns unless we wanted to offer him the marquee spot. 

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Budzinski is a marque therefore exempt from the salary cap and having no impact on us signing Burns unless we wanted to offer him the marquee spot. 

My point, I'm not sure if we would have the cap space otherwise. The nix would be paying him a fair amount and he chose to go there when he had other offers in Asia as well as here, he wanted to go back there, we would have had to pay above and beyond to sign him imho.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

IIRC Burns mostly plays as a RW or Striker. So while he can do a job for us on the left, we'd need to at least move on Kamau or Fitzgerald plus free some cap space to get Burns (particularly if / should the club want other signings).

As much as some people here love ragging on Kamau, I doubt the club is wanting to move him on cheaply, which would mean signing Burns would overkill squad numbers in a few positions 

He has played every position in the front 3rd and one of Australia's best dribblers ATM, in the top 4 I reckon.

On 22/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, jw1739 said:

Thought this would be interesting to many. From http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-city-jesus-medina-transfer-loaning-starlet-out-city-football-group-a8120126.html

"Joan Patsy is in charge of CFG’s South American recruitment, having been recruited from Barcelona by technical director Txiki Begiristain. Patsy played a large role in the signing of Gabriel Jesus, who has been a knockout success since signing from Palmeiras and will shortly sign a new, long-term contract with the Manchester club.

German Brunati and Pablo Forte also cover Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay for Manchester City, while they also have scouts in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico that report to Patsy, a former journalist who worked alongside Johan Cruyff during his time at Barca."

Jesus Medina signed by NYCFC.

• jw1739 pinned this topic