Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

48 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

We are set for an international winger according to SST

SST is never reliable, but there is always somesort of basis to a rumour.

(Iniesta is still held at Manus Island, should be out by Janaury)

• Like 1

Looking at the books, it was just so sad that we couldn't get Ross, Bruno, Carrusca, Brandan and Cahill all on the park at the same time. Somehow we're sitting third though. 

Forever the optimist, I'm actually very excited about what January will bring us. As harsh as the decisions sound letting players go, i believe it's for the best. 

Can we actually sign anyone new? do we have room inside the cap?

Is Brandan's wages still included even though he was on loan? What about Cahill's? 

Is it possible to loan in someone like a Jamie Maclaren? Hardly getting any game time in germany, melbourne boy as well

Other aussies are Ibini, Burns, or even Kwame Yeboah

32 minutes ago, rass said:

Forever the optimist, I'm actually very excited about what January will bring us. As harsh as the decisions sound letting players go, i believe it's for the best. 

This. Exciting times ahead. The players Waz has bought in have been very solid (minus a few typical A-League brain farts). So another 2-3 players of the same calibre should harden the team more. Although I am unsure where the goals will come from

1 minute ago, fiji19 said:

Can we actually sign anyone new? do we have room inside the cap?

Is Brandan's wages still included even though he was on loan? What about Cahill's? 

Is it possible to loan in someone like a Jamie Maclaren? Hardly getting any game time in germany, melbourne boy as well

Other aussies are Ibini, Burns, or even Kwame Yeboah

Id say we have a fair chunk left from Cahill, and if Brandan was by Mutual agreement then we should have room for two players with staring XI wages.

Everything happening now is all part of rebuilding. Wazza was obviously given the freedom to build a culture and team to win titles. Tbh if he wasn't doing this, I would be disappointed due to an opportunity being lost.

It's all up to Wazza, no excuses, no scapegoats, no hiding, which is just the way a leader should be. 

Let him do what he needs to do and I am looking forward to see what he will do in the transfer window.

BTW, Kaka has just retired, 2nd half cameo would be awesome. :)

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

why would we get another winger? waste of a visa. We need creativity in the mid so use it there. 

I think we need a winger to be honest, preferably a wide forward who can draw some attention.

If we hold onto Ross I'd probably play him and Bruno together, with Bruno dropping deeper into the midfield and Ross pushing beyond him, in that case you've got a pretty decent creative outlet in Bruno. 

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

I think we need a winger to be honest, preferably a wide forward who can draw some attention.

If we hold onto Ross I'd probably play him and Bruno together, with Bruno dropping deeper into the midfield and Ross pushing beyond him, in that case you've got a pretty decent creative outlet in Bruno. 

Yeh i tend to agree. I dont think that Wazza's style is particularly conducive to a classic attacking mid, its require more of a workhorse a la the Mauk role and the six's to be capable at putting through good balls to the wingers. IMO our biggest issue right now is our wingers lack of end product. Fitzy and Bruce seem to be able to create somewhat, but are offering very little in terms of goal threat atm. A winger that opposition teams are actually scared of would go a long way imo, esp as it takes the pressure off the striker and nullifies the oppo defence's ability to double team. A Novillo type would be unbelievably useful right now imo. 

Nicolai Brock-Madsen is out of favour at Birmingham City, but he plays as a CF rather than winger.

Patrick McEleney is the Irish player I was thinking of. Plays for Dundalk. Was rumoured to be a City target about 4 months ago.

Daryl Horgan is another Irish player reportedly linked to us at one stage. Barely getting any minutes at Preston North End.

Edited by jw1739

Just now, neio said:

I would be seriously looking at Nathan burns if he was available, proven at the level, quick, Australian and I'm assuming would want game time to try go to Russia 

My choice too. Really competent as a scorer but more of a natural winger so i think he would fit our need perfectly.

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I don't think it IS clear, that's my point. Not until he is given a chance to start and run out 3 or 4 games.

You cant preach creating a performance culture and the reward a bloke that's showing nothing though. Bud has had quite a few chances now, certainly more than a few of the others and has shown nothing more than a few flicks and tricks.
A player worth a visa or marquee spot should have well and truly shown enough to be knocking down the door by now and its pretty darn clear that Bud hasn't achieved that so far in 370 min of football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You cant preach creating a performance culture and the reward a bloke that's showing nothing though. Bud has had quite a few chances now, certainly more than a few of the others and has shown nothing more than a few flicks and tricks.
A player worth a visa or marquee spot should have well and truly shown enough to be knocking down the door by now and its pretty darn clear that Bud hasn't achieved that so far in 370 min of football.

Totally agree he has had enough time to show if he is at the level. And I don't buy the argument that he was playing out of position. At this level he should be able to play multiple roles, obviously not as good as his preferred role but still servicable. FFS Malik played RB and was decent. Jakobsen has been playing central midfield. Lets not mention Fitzy at fullback but you get my drift.

What is frustrating for me is seeing a player like Kilkenny not given a sniff yet Budzinski being played. 

Really excited time for the club.

It seems a line was drawn in the sand recently, and Wazza is the CFG 'in' and they are going to fix this joint once and for all.

Been sold a pup, listening to the incompetent crew here for too long. Time for CFG to step in and get this club to where they want it to be.

Edited by CityHeart

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Disagree.

Anyway, Jakob Jantscher is available, free agent since Dec 4, LW, LM, CAM.

I would be happy to see the back of Bud for this guy.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Totally agree he has had enough time to show if he is at the level. And I don't buy the argument that he was playing out of position. At this level he should be able to play multiple roles, obviously not as good as his preferred role but still servicable. FFS Malik played RB and was decent. Jakobsen has been playing central midfield. Lets not mention Fitzy at fullback but you get my drift.

What is frustrating for me is seeing a player like Kilkenny not given a sniff yet Budzinski being played. 

I think even if he was being played out of position and not going overly well, we'd still have seen enough quality from him to be optimistic. Aside from playmaker, i think just about everyone else doesnt even think theyve seen that.

Look Killa on face value i think most people would agree with, there has to be something going on behind the scenes there.

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Disagree.

Anyway, Jakob Jantscher is available, free agent since Dec 4, LW, LM, CAM.

I would be happy to see the back of Bud for this guy.

Disagree that you cant make exceptions for him or disagree that he hasnt shown enough to deserve a spot in the team?

42 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Disagree that you cant make exceptions for him or disagree that he hasnt shown enough to deserve a spot in the team?

I just don't think he has been given a real chance that's all.

Early in the season he wasn't fit and the club knew there was work to be done. Then he gets his opportunity in an unnatural position which was never going to work for his playing style.

He needs to be central and forward and he needs to play a string of games to develop chemistry with the others in the team. I am not disagreeing that he has been underwhelming, but he needs to play so his flicks and tricks and ability to hold possession and offload passes leads to something through on-field understanding which would have improved over time on the training pitch at least.

Ultimately he was brought in as a marquee, which means that he has the quality to win games, but he is not going to do this on the bench. I would like to see him on the pitch instead of Mauk tbh, even though as much as Mauk has been solid and had good performances he has been weak in attack and really hasn't set up plays as he should in his role, and we really need that x factor in the CM/CAM position to link our attacks.

You see how Ross has progressed in his link ups, well that's why we need Bud on field time as quality players will always play themselves into form, and Bud's shots from anywhere around the 12 yard box are match winning on their own.

I understand what you are saying and I am as frustrated as you believe me, but there is no point ditching him if he hasn't had a similar opportunity to Ross to prove himself.

I hope that sooner rather than later this club will learn that signing an unfit marquee is not a sound strategy for this league. Generally speaking there are not enough matches to play catch-up.

@playmaker I take your points, and I was pretty enthusiastic about Budski when he was announced, but he should be match fit by now and able to command a starting berth. That he is not is very disappointing to say the least.

We know from what Joyce has said that McCormack has been doing extra sessions plus swimming twice a day. What I'd like to know is whether Budski is putting in enough effort.

McCormack last played for Aston Villa in March 2017, and since then just 66 minutes in two EFL Cup matches in August/September 2017 just before he came to us. Budzinski was playing regularly for Cracovia in the Polish League right up to 6th June 2017. If the latter is not fit by now he never will be. Something does not add up.

26 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I just don't think he has been given a real chance that's all.

Early in the season he wasn't fit and the club knew there was work to be done. Then he gets his opportunity in an unnatural position which was never going to work for his playing style.

He needs to be central and forward and he needs to play a string of games to develop chemistry with the others in the team. I am not disagreeing that he has been underwhelming, but he needs to play so his flicks and tricks and ability to hold possession and offload passes leads to something through on-field understanding which would have improved over time on the training pitch at least.

Ultimately he was brought in as a marquee, which means that he has the quality to win games, but he is not going to do this on the bench. I would like to see him on the pitch instead of Mauk tbh, even though as much as Mauk has been solid and had good performances he has been weak in attack and really hasn't set up plays as he should in his role, and we really need that x factor in the CM/CAM position to link our attacks.

You see how Ross has progressed in his link ups, well that's why we need Bud on field time as quality players will always play themselves into form, and Bud's shots from anywhere around the 12 yard box are match winning on their own.

I understand what you are saying and I am as frustrated as you believe me, but there is no point ditching him if he hasn't had a similar opportunity to Ross to prove himself.

Fair enough, i can appreciate where you're coming from, even if i dont agree.
In the end i think the premise you have is fine re playing as a 10, but imo that kind of luxury player wont work in this system. IMO Mauk has been perfect in the role as it stands created by Wazza other than his finishing, which if he'd been a lot better at it we probably would have had and extra 4 or 5 points this season. Now if we change our setup to a more traditional 10, as seemed to be the 'backup' plan with Chelo on the bench, then you might be right, but that will more than likely undermine the defensive set-up at the back in my opinion.

Tbh in comparison to Ross, who hasnt set the world on fire in open play, he's at least been able to significantly impact games on the scoresheet. Likewise, in a meritocracy you cant just keep giving games to people hoping theyll play themselves into form when you have people performing and knocking down the door around them.

I've been following the team from my place overseas. Good two wins recently (and that Sydney game had too messy circumstances to bearing commenting).

January is going to be a huge month for Warren. According the Davutovic and Windley, Melbourne City have some good space inside the cap "with Ivan Franjic, Cahill and Brandan’s exits opening significant space" (source).

I'm not sure this has been picked up yet either, but "City will lose Stefan Mauk and Bruce Kamau, as well as frozen-out defender Ruon Tongyik" for pretty much the whole month of January, for the Under 23 Asian Cup in China (source).

So, Warren will be able to remake the team a lot with his influence. It'll be very interesting to see what the team is like at the end of January. But in my opinion, Warren won't have any excuses like he hasn't had chances to remake the team the way he wants it come the end of January, so we'll see how successful Warren's coaching influence is next month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I've been following the team from my place overseas. Good two wins recently (and that Sydney game had too messy circumstances to bearing commenting).

January is going to be a huge month for Warren. According the Davutovic and Windley, Melbourne City have some good space inside the cap "with Ivan Franjic, Cahill and Brandan’s exits opening significant space" (source).

I'm not sure this has been picked up yet either, but "City will lose Stefan Mauk and Bruce Kamau, as well as frozen-out defender Ruon Tongyik" for pretty much the whole month of January, for the Under 23 Asian Cup in China (source).

So, Warren will be able to remake the team a lot with his influence. It'll be very interesting to see what the team is like at the end of January. But in my opinion, Warren won't have any excuses like he hasn't had chances to remake the team the way he wants it come the end of January, so we'll see how successful Warren's coaching influence is next month.

@Murfy1 you need to post more often. You are the cure to the current forum cancer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

Very nice.

Some serious consequences losing those players for Jan. But also some opportunities. I wonder if this is where Kilkenny will find a spot again? If he is not on his way out that is.

With Brandans departure, our new defender and Cahill gone, I daresay the City group already have their eye on some players. Maybe even better, some provisional agreements? As always though, bringing in new players will inevitably defer consistency on the pitch and a barrel of excuses about teams bonding and chemistry. I just hope, at the end of the day, that we are competitive and the players we bring in are being bought in with an eye for the future. If not, the above is just an endless cycle of underachievement.

Cheers for the insights!

4 hours ago, haz said:

@Murfy1 you need to post more often. You are the cure to the current forum cancer.

I'll do what I can haha. Been a bit busy lately settling in, but that's just about done. Anyway here's the latest:

Melbourne City pair Bruce Kamau and Nick Fitzgerald to weigh up their futures

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

December 19, 2017

THE futures of Bruce Kamau and Nick Fitzgerald remain in limbo, with the wingers headlining the Melbourne City stars coming out of contract at the end of this season.

Fitzgerald is understood to have attracted interest from rival A-League clubs and abroad after a breakout season where he has established himself as a bona fide member of a City side that is pushing for an Asian Champions League berth.

Kamau, 22, is also weighing up his future and harbours ambitions of playing abroad.

City is keen to stitch up youngsters Ruon Tongyik and Daniel Arzani.

The futures of experienced trio Michael Jakobsen, Marcelo Carrusca and Manny Muscat are uncertain, while a January exit looms for out-of-favour midfielder Neil Kilkenny.

City’s extraordinary player turnover continued during the week when Argentine Fernando Brandan departed, returning to his parent club after a loan deal.

But his and Tim Cahill’s exits could pave the way for on-loan Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack to stay until the end of the season.

City coach Warren Joyce has said that Kamau and Osama Malik, who is also out of contract at the end of the season, are capable of playing in the English Championship.

Joyce was effusive in his praise of Kamau, who is likely to return for Saturday night’s AAMI Park derby, after he scored the Round 2 derby winner.

“I think he’s a good player. I thought that even before I came to the country, watching him play for Adelaide — I thought he was an outstanding player, to be fair,’’ Joyce said.

“Certainly, if you’re watching Aaron Mooy ... and looking at players who you think could play in English football, he’s certainly one that could play in the English championship, easily.

“The demands on him are to improve certain things about his game and goalscoring is one of the aspects.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-pair-bruce-kamau-and-nick-fitzgerald-to-weigh-up-their-futures/news-story/0c1e9d1c89b5bbd462040bc3fde1e0ef

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

We have the money but we need the good fortune of having just the right players available

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We have the money but we need the good fortune of having just the right players available

According to my calculations we have the bare minimum 20 players in the senior squad. We can't let anyone else go during the current season unless we have a guaranteed replacement.

39 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Dario Vidosic has left the nix, he would fit in nicely for us

Injured his knee in his last match.

26 minutes ago, moops said:

Because his dad Rado got the sack, I wouldn't mind Rado involved in the backroom either, his best attribute is squad building.

His coaching record doesn't indicate a great deal of stability. Our turnover of assistants is already bad enough - no thanks.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic