Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Just now, bt50 said:

You're assuming there was an issue in the pre-season.

If there were issues (which we know now there are) you would think they would have been obvious spending 6 months together. Plus, Montemuro was moved on quick (Still something I think we are really going to regret in the future)

11 hours ago, haz said:

What the fuck does Bouzanis have a problem with? Does he think the team needs more balls to be kicked straight out from goal kicks or something?

I can understand why he is frustrated, he was our number 1 last year and signed a 3 year deal, to continue that

You can argue who should be the keeper all day, but I don't think he wants to be a number 2 which is fair enough 

22 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If there were issues (which we know now there are) you would think they would have been obvious spending 6 months together. Plus, Montemuro was moved on quick (Still something I think we are really going to regret in the future)

Isnt that contradicting yourself straight away though? There was clearly an issue with Montemurro and his relationship with Joyce and he was subsequently demoted, then was able to get a job at Arsenal after. That automatically implies to me that Valkanis wasnt as much of a problem at that time at the least, if one at all.
Look i dont think keeping Valkanis at the end of last year was overly clever, but i also appreciate you dont want to throw someone that came in as a caretaker to the wolves because they helped out when needed. Ultimately Valkanis fell on his own sword when he started white-anting as is popular opinion.

IMO our only player issues with Joyce have stemmed around game and playing time, and imo it was obvious we were going to have those from the outset if we didnt have injuries, based purely on the depth of squad we have. No-one likes not playing and will angle to leave if they arent generally, that doesnt necessarily reflect any problems with the gaffer other than with his selection policy.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Whatever the real truth is that lies behind these reports, IMO it's all very sad that it has happened. The club has been destabilised from inside, just when we thought - or hoped - that finally we could start to build a better club culture and give a better showing in the league this season.

No-one benefits from this sort of stuff.

Change is most likely to happen when things are unstable and most resisted when things are stable. Of course, the direction of change is most important but the only truth is that nothing changes if nothing changes. This is an opportunity, I hope Wazza uses it well

56 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think you are misunderstanding the role of the CEO. It certainly appears in CFG run clubs that the CEO has little to do with the actual football department outside of budgetary constraints and ensuring resources are provided.

Regardless, I've no doubt CFG are watching Munn closely an ultimately, if they deem him the right guy for the task, then I'm happy enough with that. Likewise, if they move him on then there's no accusation of him not being given every chance.

I know exactlywhat the role of a CEO is. If the CEO of this club, or any club has 'little' to do with the football department then there is your problem right there. That is where issues will fester, and employee relationships will deteriorate. This is 100% a "CEO" issue and in many companies the most important element of the organisation. It cant be a shit show with 'staff' thinking they can do whatever they want as their 'boss' is in the UK.

Again, would Valk have been given the lemon if Marwood wasnt here? If your answer is no or probably no - there is 100% our major issue.

We have no chief and I have no doubt we have a CFG/Club structure issue. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Isnt that contradicting yourself straight away though? There was clearly an issue with Montemurro and his relationship with Joyce and he was subsequently demoted, then was able to get a job at Arsenal after. That automatically implies to me that Valkanis wasnt as much of a problem at that time at the least, if one at all.

Or, it implies 'management' got some or all of it wrong.

Perhaps football clubs are different, but I must say (and having experience inside major Australian companies, all with local and overseas operations - mining, metals and paper industries) absolutely everything ultimately went through the CEO as the conduit to the Board of Directors. No section of the operations, administration, sales, finances etc. etc. was outside the umbrella of the CEO.

If Melbourne City is operating differently, then I'd say that's the root of the problem. And that's not a reflection of Munn's abilities at all, it's a reflection of the way CFG have set us up. In other words, if there are activities for which Munn has no accountability, then he can't be held accountable for them, can he?

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Perhaps football clubs are different, but I must say (and having experience inside major Australian companies, all with local and overseas operations - mining, metals and paper industries) absolutely everything ultimately went through the CEO as the conduit to the Board of Directors. No section of the operations, administration, sales, finances etc. etc. was outside the umbrella of the CEO.

If Melbourne City is operating differently, then I'd say that's the root of the problem. And that's not a reflection of Munn's abilities at all, it's a reflection of the way CFG have set us up. In other words, if there are activities for which Munn has no accountability, then he can't be held accountable for them, can he?

Football clubs are different, but thats not to say Munn has no accountability for the football department. I'm certain he does, and that accountability would largely come from installing the correct people to make the club progress. When i say he has little to do with the football department, i mean that as in football decisions; tactics, recruitment (of players), training. A football CEO acts as a facilitator for those things, and generally shapes the direction and strategy of the club, but isnt directly responsible for the day to day running of the football team.

Financial, administration, sales etc would have a much more direct approach from the CEO than the football department would, due to the very nature (business v sport), and thus are probably things he is more harshly judged on internally. There is certainly plenty of arguments for and against how he has performed in those aspects, but as fans we generally assess the football club based on its on-field performance, or at very least allow the on-field performance to taint our view of the off-field issues.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Football clubs are different, but thats not to say Munn has no accountability for the football department. I'm certain he does, and that accountability would largely come from installing the correct people to make the club progress. When i say he has little to do with the football department, i mean that as in football decisions; tactics, recruitment (of players), training. A football CEO acts as a facilitator for those things, and generally shapes the direction and strategy of the club, but isnt directly responsible for the day to day running of the football team.

Financial, administration, sales etc would have a much more direct approach from the CEO than the football department would, due to the very nature (business v sport), and thus are probably things he is more harshly judged on internally. There is certainly plenty of arguments for and against how he has performed in those aspects, but as fans we generally assess the football club based on its on-field performance, or at very least allow the on-field performance to taint our view of the off-field issues.

So, in fact, we agree.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So, in fact, we agree.

Well yes, other than probably your sentence re root of the problem; I think a football club has to operate differently than a business by its very nature, but there are always aspects where the club should aspire to learn as much as it can from what business is doing.

Edited by bt50

This probably belongs under the CFG thread, however, this link gives an indication of where Scott Munn fits into CFG ...

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/Our-Business/Leadership-Team

It is unusual to have more than one CEO in an organisation, and I suspect that the term CEO for SM is a bit of a legacy carry over from Heart.  If SM was no longer within CFG, I doubt they would replace him with a new CEO.

New York FCs website references their highest ranking administrative officer as 'President', although on the CFG page linked above he is CEO of NYCFC

https://www.nycfc.com/team/staff

SM's role is more of a COO of MCFC (Chief Operating Officer), reporting to CFG's CEO.  It is seemingly a complex business structure, and it seems the various departments in Melbourne would report up through to the different areas of CFG, so SM's role in ensuring appropriate coordination would require a high level of sophistication.  But this structure would also potentially distance him from certain elements of club performance, i.e. Brian Marwood's recent involvement with the playing group and scaking of MV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Fitzy to join SFC in January

20 hours ago, HughJass said:

442 says Malik...

Where's the evidence these are based on?

With the ringleader gone, I'm now expecting Kilkenny to leave between now and the closure of the mid-season window. Asia is my guess.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Where's the evidence these are based on?

With the ringleader gone, I'm now expecting Kilkenny to leave between now and the closure of the mid-season window. Asia is my guess.

Would have a good laugh (and die internally) if we started the season with a packed midfield but after January its bare bones.

8 minutes ago, haz said:

Would have a good laugh (and die internally) if we started the season with a packed midfield but after January its bare bones.

Meh even if Killa goes we'll have Brattan, Mauk, Carrusca, Arzani, Najaarine, Malik, Jako and Genreau. Plus Budzinski. Not stressed at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Meh even if Killa goes we'll have Brattan, Mauk, Carrusca, Arzani, Najaarine, Malik, Jako and Genreau. Plus Budzinski. Not stressed at all.

(Agree completely)

Taking the piss though....

Killa -  gone

Carrusca - Germano (lost forever in the injury abyss)

Malik - gone

Jako - moves to defense

Budzik - shit but gone

Arzani, Najaarine, Genreu - rarely picked

So worse case its Brattan, Mauk plus a couple of youth boys. One or two injuries and its bare bones

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

(Agree completely)

Taking the piss though....

Killa -  gone

Carrusca - Germano (lost forever in the injury abyss)

Malik - gone

Jako - moves to defense

Budzik - shit but gone

Arzani, Najaarine, Genreu - rarely picked

So worse case its Brattan, Mauk plus a couple of youth boys. One or two injuries and its bare bones

If that number of "senior players" leave I'd say we'd be signing one or more replacements. ATM we have only the bare 20, with Delbridge to make 21 when he's eligible in January.

So those rumours regarding Malik and Fitzy are for pre-contracts for the start of next seaon. So if it is confirmed (I hope Fitz is not) we will have them both still to the end of the season. Would be nice to have got a transfer fee but they are out of contract anyway.

OFF-CONTRACT PLAYERS IN 2018

SYDNEY FC

Alex Brosque, Jordy Buijs, David Carney, Deyvison Rogerio Da Silva, Charles Lokolo Ngoy, Milos Ninkovic, Andrew Redmayne, Matthew Simon, Alex Wilkinson, Michael Zullo, Christopher Zuvela, Anthony Kalik (on-loan).

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS

Jonathan Aspropotamitis, Alvaro Cejudo Carmona, Jack Clisby, Robert Cornthwaite, Vedran Janjetovic, Jumpei Kusukami, Raul Llorente Raposo, Steven Lustica, Jacob Melling, Brendon Santalab, Nicholas Suman, Michael Thwaite, Jerrad Tyson.

CENTRAL COAST MARINERS

Kwabena Appiah-Kubi, Harry Ascroft, Josh Bingham, Antony Golec, Ben Kennedy, Jake McGing, Felix Asdruval Padron Hernandez, Connor Pain, Adam Pearce, Blake Powell, Joshua Rose, Liam Rose, Kye Rowles, Thomas Glover (on-loan).

NEWCASTLE JETS

Daniel Alessi, Nigel Boogaard, Antonee Burke-Gilroy, Devante Clut, Nicholas Cowburn, Jack Duncan, Jason Hoffman, Benjamin Kantarovski, Mark Moric, Glen Moss, Andrew Nabbout, Ivan Necevski, Kosta Petratos, Ronald Alejandro Vargas Aranguren.

MELBOURNE VICTORY

Leroy George, Joshua Hope, Cameron McGilp, Mark Milligan, Stefan Nigro, Matias Sanchez, Christian Theoharous, Lawrence Thomas, Carl Valeri, Pierce Waring, Kenjok Athiu (on-loan).

PERTH GLORY

Diego Castro Gimenez, Joel Chianese, Nicholas Feely, Alexander Grant, Andreu Guerao Mayoral, Chris Harold, Jacob Italiano, Joseph Knowles, Shane Lowry, Joseph Mills, Mitche Nichols, Liam Reddy, Daniel Stynes, Adam Taggart, Callum Timmins, Xavier Torres Buigues, Riley Warland, Marc Warren, Brandon Wilson.

ADELAIDE UNITED

Johan Absalonsen, Tarek Elrich, Jordan Elsey, Benjamin Garuccio, Ryan Kitto, Nathan Konstandopoulos, Vince Lia, Karim Matmour, Nikola Mileusnic, Mark Ochieng, Jordan O’Doherty, Isaac Richards, Ryan Strain, Ersan Gulum (on-loan).

BRISBANE ROAR

Fahid Ben Khalfallah, Daniel Bowles, Corey Brown, Nicholas D’Agostino, Ivan Franjic, Corey Gameiro, Jack Hingert, Brett Holman, Massimo Maccarone, Emilio Martinez, Matthew McKay, Jade North, Connor O’Toole, Mitchell Oxborrow, Jacob Pepper, Petros Skapetis, Michael Theo, Brendan White, Jamie Young

MELBOURNE CITY

Daniel Arzani, Marcelo Carrusca, Braedyn Crowley, James Delianov, Nick Fitzgerald, Michael Jakobsen, Bruce Kamau, Neil Kilkenny, Osama Malik, Emmanuel Muscat, Ruon Tongyik, Fernando Brandan (on-loan), Luke Brattan (on-loan), Stefan Mauk (on-loan), Ross McCormack (on-loan).

WELLINGTON PHOENIX

Scott Galloway, Lewis Italiano, Andrija Kaluderovic, Roy Krishna, James McGarry, Michael McGlinchey, Daniel Mullen, Goran Paracki, Matthew Ridenton, Logan Rogerson, Marco Rossi, Alex Rufer, Dario Vidosic.

Anyone there we would like?

Also I didnt know Brandan was on-loan. I guess it would make it easier for the club to realease him.

11 hours ago, haz said:

Anyone there we would like?

Also I didnt know Brandan was on-loan. I guess it would make it easier for the club to realease him.

Interesting. Transfermarkt has him as on loan to us from 25th July 2016 to 31st December 2016, and then from 1st January 2017 transferred to us.

I'd say status a little unclear at the moment.

• Like 1

So how many positions will we have to fill in January now? How many more will we have to fill by the time the clean out is complete? We've already signed Delbridge. Is McCormack's injury as bad as early reports? Even he might not play again any time soon.

It seems there's a lot of work to do this coming window. Where are we going to find all of these serviceable out-of-contract players in the middle of the season?

33 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

So how many positions will we have to fill in January now? How many more will we have to fill by the time the clean out is complete? We've already signed Delbridge. Is McCormack's injury as bad as early reports? Even he might not play again any time soon.

It seems there's a lot of work to do this coming window. Where are we going to find all of these serviceable out-of-contract players in the middle of the season?

By my count we have the bare minimum of 20 players in the senior squad as of this minute (including Delbridge, excluding McCormack). If there are no more departures, we don't have to sign anyone else.

We have six talented Scholarship Players plus other members of our youth team to call on.

15 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Maybe the clubs waiting for the loan system overhaul and we’ll see a bunch of Man City young guns in the new year 

I wouldn't hold your breath - we've been waiting for that for four seasons. We could have done it with our second marquee player instead of signing Budzinski.

A-League could introduce loan system as early as January
DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
December 11, 2017 4:58pm

A-LEAGUE chiefs will discuss the merits of a loan system this week and have not ruled out introducing it next month, a move that could trigger a January moving frenzy.

Many A-League coaches and well-credentialed soccer identities have advocated for a loan and transfer system as a solution to the limited senior exposure youngsters are getting.

A-League boss Greg O’Rourke said a loan system was inevitable, but could not yet confirm whether it would be ratified in time for the upcoming transfer window, which opens on January 3.

Loans and transfers are commonplace around the world, with a host of international stars and Socceroos set to move next month in a last-ditch bid for sufficient minutes to stake a 2018 World Cup claim.

Melbourne City (Daniel Arzani, Deni Genreau, Ruon Tongyik and Ramy Najjarine), Sydney FC (Anthony Kalik, Chris Zuvela and Charles Lokolingjoy) and Melbourne Victory (Christian Theoharous, Josh Hope, Pierce Waring) are among those with talented kids who may attract interest from other clubs.

Senior players frozen out of the first team can also benefit from loan moves.

“We are currently reviewing both (the loan and transfer system). There is a formal presentation tomorrow, more with a view to the loans,’’ O’Rourke said.

“Whether or not it’s for this window or next year will depend on the challenges that come out of this review.

“We are working through it with the PFA (players’ union) and having a good look at it.”

The Herald Sun surveyed all 10 A-League coaches at the start of the season and most felt that a loan system would be beneficial, especially for younger players.

Mariners coach Paul Okon was adamant that it would open up opportunities and could be a win-win scenario.

“I’d be a big advocate of transfers, loans. A lot of players suffer because there’s no movement between clubs on loan for a young player,’’ Okon said.

“For example, if a young player can’t get game time at Victory, maybe he can get it at the Mariners or Jets or somewhere. I think that would go a long way to equalising it and then we could consider removing the cap.”

If this comes to fruition it will be an interesting January

If Arzani, Genreau, Tongyik and Najjarine are good enough to play for another A-League club there's a sound argument that they should be playing for City. They may be fringe players at the moment, but good enough to sit on our bench and get minutes from time to time. If they go to other clubs, who do we turn to for our bench and in the case of injuries?

This proposal just does not make sense to me.

If McCormack is signed one as our 5th VISA then he better start scoring those 1 on 1s he keeps missing.

But considering the condition he was in, what will he be like after his injury??

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

If this comes to fruition it will be an interesting January

Cmon mate its the FFA, all smoke no fire.

Edited by haz

• jw1739 pinned this topic