Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

As @bt50 has already pointed out it will be the highest-paid player who becomes the second marquee. We were clearly prepared to pay Troisi $600,000 outside the cap. If we end up with all three of Cahill, Budzinski and Carrusca, then it would be the highest-paid of those who becomes the second marquee, but I'd be rather surprised if we could accommodate two of those three inside the cap at this stage of our recruiting. I would therefore be surprised if we are courting Carrusca now.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As @bt50 has already pointed out it will be the highest-paid player who becomes the second marquee. We were clearly prepared to pay Troisi $600,000 outside the cap. If we end up with all three of Cahill, Budzinski and Carrusca, then it would be the highest-paid of those who becomes the second marquee, but I'd be rather surprised if we could accommodate two of those three inside the cap at this stage of our recruiting. I would therefore be surprised if we are courting Carrusca now.

Carrusca might be willing to play for a lot less money. He is older now and no serious other offers have been tabled. Considering he is an Australian citizen now indicates he wants to settle here and not go on a football journey again.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Heard that Pierias was on 15k as a youth this season, increasing to 50k next season then to 150k the season after that if he performs. Insane numbers for a fucking 16 year old

It does also show that if he does perform then the franchise is serious about keeping him laying with us for longer by offering him a good salary,  otherwise he'll get poached or chase some stupid benh warming offer overseas.

I had heard we were just about there with Carrusca 12-18 months back.

This would be a great signing IMHO - with a marque AM imminent, Marcelo can be load-managed to get a great season out of one of the great a-league imports. Fresh off the pine he should be able to run amok!

Surely at his age this should be an easy agreement - pay him what we can under the cap then agree to employ him in CFG melbourne academy the year after etc. He would be a good get for the club on and off the pitch.

11 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

I had heard we were just about there with Carrusca 12-18 months back.

This would be a great signing IMHO - with a marque AM imminent, Marcelo can be load-managed to get a great season out of one of the great a-league imports. Fresh off the pine he should be able to run amok!

Surely at his age this should be an easy agreement - pay him what we can under the cap then agree to employ him in CFG melbourne academy the year after etc. He would be a good get for the club on and off the pitch.

Is he now an Australian citizen?

If not, it cant happen if we sign a new international Marquee. Plus i wouldn't want to waste an international spot on a player coming off the bench.

Just now, [LIBBA] said:

Is he now an Australian citizen?

If not, it cant happen if we sign a new international Marquee. Plus i wouldn't want to waste an international spot on a player coming off the bench.

Yeh he's an Aus citizen now. You prob wouldnt want to spend any more than 150k on him, but under that he's a steal.

17 hours ago, nah brah said:

good squad.  im a little disappointed that we havent focused more on bringing in australian players.

Looks like we have decent depth with the exception in the middle. What is going to happen if either Brattan or Kilkenny go down injured? We should be relying on a part time midfielder (Malik) as a back-up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, millm103 said:

Looks like we have decent depth with the exception in the middle. What is going to happen if either Brattan or Kilkenny go down injured? We should be relying on a part time midfielder (Malik) as a back-up. 

We could very well end up with Budzinski, Kilkenny, Brattan, Mauk, Malik, Genreau, Cahill, all capable of playing in the middle, that's PLENTY of depth. Malik's a better CM than he is a centre-half too, if anything he's a part-time CB.

Not to mention we've also been linked with Carrusca, although if he comes in I'd think Malik goes out. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Embee said:

We could very well end up with Budzinski, Kilkenny, Brattan, Mauk, Malik, Genreau, Cahill, all capable of playing in the middle, that's PLENTY of depth. Malik's a better CM than he is a centre-half too, if anything he's a part-time CB.

Not to mention we've also been linked with Carrusca, although if he comes in I'd think Malik goes out. 

Maliks hopeless. Bench at best and no where near starting eleven. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd have everyone bar Genreau and possibly Cahill on that list play CM before I would put Malik there, my point's simply that he offers depth at the CM position.

Edited by Embee

44 minutes ago, Embee said:

I'd have everyone bar Genreau and possibly Cahill on that list play CM before I would put Malik there, my point's simply that he offers depth at the CM position.

Yep agree. Were saying the same thing except your response is a bit more diplomatic. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

What are you dissappointed about though?? IMO i think we have the best aussies we are able to get that are available, how many aussies are there out there that honestly are either good enough or want too come back to aleague, that are not recycled players from the aleauge. If we can sign this Polish bloke, im expecting big things

kilkenny, brattan, fitzgerald, galecovik and la rocca are the best available?  no.  

we should be more ambitious and support the australian game.  every import takes away one of only 99 potential starting spots for an australian and stifles the growth of the game in australia.  i would rather we fielded more youth players than bring in imports. the quality of the game in australia does not exceed that capable by 17 - 20 year olds.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

still 10x the player of muscat.  how the fuck does he still have a contract?

2 minutes ago, City Of Salem said:

looks like a really good squad at this stage. i wonder if maybe kamau or fitzy might start on the right wing until brandan is fit?? so front line would look like:

Kamau          Bruno          Fitzy

Then Arzani on at 70mins for either Fitz or Kamau

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

we should be more ambitious and support the australian game.  every import takes away one of only 99 potential starting spots for an australian and stifles the growth of the game in australia.  i would rather we fielded more youth players than bring in imports. the quality of the game in australia does not exceed that capable by 17 - 20 year olds.

What is your opinion on walls?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, haz said:

Then Arzani on at 70mins for either Fitz or Kamau

I wouldnt be surprised if Wazza will fall back on a solid 442 very often, starting with Fitz and Bruno up front. Especially if we keep leaking goals due to the front wingers not being capable in tracking back or struggling to beat hold their man, like Kamau.

Edited by Mr MO

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Wazza will fall back on a solid 442 very often, starting with Fitz and Bruno up front. Especially if we keep leaking goals due to the front wingers not being capable in tracking back or struggling to beat hold their man, like Kamau.

Who knows, but I think our next FFA Cup game will be a sign of things to come..... Even better Wazza might even change formation depending on the team we play, something we have not seen before at this club.

42 minutes ago, City Of Salem said:

looks like a really good squad at this stage. i wonder if maybe kamau or fitzy might start on the right wing until brandan is fit?? so front line would look like:

Kamau          Bruno          Fitzy

I'm not so confident at this stage but time will tell. Schenkeveld is a good addition, and Budzinski looks as though he will be if he comes. We seem to be relying fairly heavily on a core bunch of senior players supplemented by some largely untried U-23s and then scholarship players. I have my doubts about Bouzanis, Muscat, Malik and Kamau. I'd like to know just where Galekovic and Mauk are. 

The FFA Cup match on 29th will be a good indicator, because we can't afford to experiment in that sort of match or ship goals and have to play catch-up.

18 minutes ago, seamolyons said:

What are our membership numbers? ;)

I've just put up my latest calculated reserved seat memberships in the Memberships thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not so confident at this stage but time will tell. Schenkeveld is a good addition, and Budzinski looks as though he will be if he comes. We seem to be relying fairly heavily on a core bunch of senior players supplemented by some largely untried U-23s and then scholarship players. I have my doubts about Bouzanis, Muscat, Malik and Kamau. I'd like to know just where Galekovic and Mauk are. 

The FFA Cup match on 29th will be a good indicator, because we can't afford to experiment in that sort of match or ship goals and have to play catch-up.

I've just put up my latest calculated reserved seat memberships in the Memberships thread.

To me the season swings on the back four. We play like the City of old then we are cooked before we've even started, but if Jammo, MJ, La Rocca & Dutchy are fit and well organised, then who knows as we have plenty of strike power up front.

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

To me the season swings on the back four. We play like the City of old then we are cooked before we've even started, but if Jammo, MJ, La Rocca & Dutchy are fit and well organised, then who knows as we have plenty of strike power up front.

Who's the striking power upfront in your opinion, I'm curious?

Do we seem to forget that at times it was a struggle last season to even cross a ball in the box and finish. We haven't recruited in that area yet so need to improve somehow. It doesn't help our biggest names can't play together. Don't want to rely on a freak TC header all the time.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic