Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Good signing by Adelaide, Aussie too so doesnt count as a Visa. I wonder if we looked at this guy?

Ersan Gülüm joins Reds for 2017/18

Australian born former Turkish international Ersan Gülüm has signed with the Reds for the 2017/18 season.

Monday, 17 July 2017 -

Adelaide United is delighted to officially announce the signing of experienced Australian-born, Turkish defender Ersan Gülüm on a season-long loan from Chinese side Hebei China Fortune.

Gülüm will join the Reds for the 2017/18 Hyundai A-League season and boasts an impressive pedigree after spending the majority of his career with Turkish Süper Lig giants Beşiktaş.

The 30-year-old accumulated 126 appearances with the Black Eagles in all competitions from 2010 to 2016, scoring three goals in the process.

Born in Melbourne to Turkish parents, Gülüm elected to represent Turkey on the international stage and has received seven caps since making his debut in 2013. However, as a result of his duel citizenship, Gülüm is considered an Australian and will not count as a foreign player.  

Gülüm transferred to Turkish outfit Manisaspor from Hume City in 2005, before plying his trade in the second division briefly with Elazığspor and then Adanaspor for two seasons.

After signing for the Club, Gülüm spoke of his elation in coming back to Australia to play his football, whilst also mentioning his excitement in playing under Head Coach, Marco

"I am very happy to have signed for Adelaide United and cannot wait to get started," Gülüm said. 

"I've heard great things about the city and I'm really looking forward to working in a professional environment under a strong, European manager, like Marco. 

"I'm joining Adelaide with the ambition of being successful and I have every intention of making sure that happens. 

"Australian football has given me so much and I'm here to give back to it by working very hard every day in training." 

Kurz praised the signing of Gülüm, citing the leadership qualities he will bring to the team.

“Gülüm is an experienced player who’s established himself in Turkey, where he’s captained the club and is clearly a leader,” Kurz said.

“I knew of him from his time in Europe with Beşiktaş, and I have no doubt he will be an excellent signing for the Club. 

“I spoke with a teammate of Ersan’s during his time at Besiktas, a German player, who praised him highly.

"This is the first signing we have completed and is just the beginning of what we are aiming to do. 

"I am sure we will have more good news in the coming days." 

United General Manager of Football, Ante Kovacevic, said Gülüm will provide experience to the Reds in the heart of the defence.

“Enticing a player of this calibre back to the A-League is not a simple process. There are plenty of hurdles to get over, but thankfully we have finalised the deal," he said.

“He’s going to bring a lot of experience from his time in a top European league, that will benefit any A-League team.”

“He’s played international football with Turkey and he’s played at one of their biggest clubs in the league in Beşiktaş.

“It takes a special character to carve a professional career as Ersan did, heading overseas direct from state league football and making it.

“We are lucky to have him at Adelaide United and, considering he was born in Australia, it is a great to have the opportunity to add further overseas experience to our squad.”

Kovacevic further added his presence and knowledge of the game will give the youngsters in the squad the opportunity to learn and improve.

“Obviously we’ve got a core group of experienced players and Ersan will complement that leadership group.”

“Our young boys can look up to, can work with, and learn from these type of players.

"Before Ersan can join our boys, he will head back to Turkey and begin training under Marco next week." 

Read more at http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/article/ersan-gueluem-joins-reds-for-201718/v613nv699ypo1ebg1ztq1buyl#puo0xetWAIRhqYzF.99

15 minutes ago, haz said:

Good signing by Adelaide, Aussie too so doesnt count as a Visa. I wonder if we looked at this guy?

Wonder How much hes getting paid, would assume hes on a decent wage in China and doesn't 100% of the wage have to be in the cap even if its a loan after we tried to sign Lampard.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Not possible. 😀

No question - not possible.

54 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Wonder How much hes getting paid, would assume hes on a decent wage in China and doesn't 100% of the wage have to be in the cap even if its a loan after we tried to sign Lampard.

Yes, the "Lampard rule" means that all wages paid to him during the loan period must count as inside the cap unless he's approved as a marquee by FFA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

Can confirm no melbourne teams offered him anything. Sad to see him away from home but so happy he's returned, will be getting dressing room access for sure

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Adelaide get Gulum we get la Butcher. Brilliant business 

I seriously doubt their salaries are even close to comparable... Gülüm would have eaten a very large portion of our remaining cap; assuming there would have been enough room in the first place.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If everyone did that* the forum would be blank.

* deleted their post because it was, on reflection, crap.

Speak for yourself. Some of us here are *quality posters*...

Edited by bt50
Typo. Fuck.
  • Like 3

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-adds-scholarship-players-roberts-metcalfe-and-najjarine-to-a-league-squad/t5l5exj0b6gu1p6i61epbbxsw

Connor Metcalfe, John Roberts and Ramy Najjarine have been signed to scholarship contracts and join Denis Genreau, Dylan Pierias and James Delianov in the program.

As a card carrying member of the 'yoof' brigade, I'm pretty excited about this current crop, John Roberts and Ramy Najjarine have both had fairly distinguished youth careers, might see a few of them playing tonight in Oakleigh I imagine.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've seen the hype over young players before. I might be grouchy, but I'll get excited when I see something more than three scholarship players.

Have used all 6 spots in the past? I don't really know much about these spots, are they out of the cap?

Just now, Mr MO said:

Have used all 6 spots in the past? I don't really know much about these spots, are they out of the cap?

AFAIK there was only ever three spots, so im guessing that the FFA have changed the rules again and not told the public...

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

AFAIK there was only ever three spots, so im guessing that the FFA have changed the rules again and not told the public...

The change was part of the overall Salary Cap changes about one year ago.

Contracted NYL Players/ Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20 Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players). Any payments above the minimum youth salary or national minimum wage (whichever is applicable) to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;

http://www.a-league.com.au/about - Salary Cap System

There's no date on that page, but the changes were announced before the 2016/17 season - the "Cahill Rule" was part of those changes.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

The signings only mean something with they can push for a first team spot in the next 3 years. Currently though with the structure of the Aleague this won't happen as clubs will continue to sign 30+ year old journeyman squadies.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, haz said:

The signings only mean something with they can push for a first team spot in the next 3 years. Currently though with the structure of the Aleague this won't happen as clubs will continue to sign 30+ year old journeyman squadies.

Basically this. 

None of these lads will get a sniff unless we have some horrendous injury/suspension like last season for that 1 game which was very very rare.

The problem though is when they reach 19/20. 

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Basically this. 

None of these lads will get a sniff unless we have some horrendous injury/suspension like last season for that 1 game which was very very rare.

They are really just bonus signings - supernumeraries in terms of both number of players and the salary cap. And they can't be signed by anyone else. So if just one of them makes good then it's worth it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Basically this. 

I would normally agree with you, however if they show they are good enough in training, I believe Joyce will not hesitate to put them in.

6 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I would normally agree with you, however if they show they are good enough in training, I believe Joyce will not hesitate to put them in.

Possibly, but as  people have already mentioned, there is no incentive to develop youth, so for the purpose of percentages, a more seasoned and reliable player would get the nod before a youth player.

The FFA really needs to give incentives for teams to promote youth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Possibly, but as  people have already mentioned, there is no incentive to develop youth, so for the purpose of percentages, a more seasoned and reliable player would get the nod before a youth player.

The FFA really needs to give incentives for teams to promote youth.

The reason I say this is that Joyce needs to succeed for the sake of his own career. Of course people will say the best way to do that is play experienced players. However, if there are younger players who are showing more ability, I believe with his background in youth management, he will be prepared to give the younger players a chance.

What I am sure off, is that if players like Brattan don't step up to the mark, they won't be playing unlike last season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. 

We never saw the best of him. I thought he still had plenty to offer, but hey.

Same. 

I thought this season he would find form get back in the Socceroos. 

But hey all that cap discussion just got a bit more intriguing. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic