Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Just now, Dylan said:

Obviously the diagnosis wasn't at bad as first thought. Still funny to have a few on here seemingly question that the photos of him running arnt real because they were told by the club it was an ACL and that meant 12 months on the side line

What kind of running? Straight Line running doesn't put much pressure on the ACL. 

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Obviously the diagnosis wasn't at bad as first thought. Still funny to have a few on here seemingly question that the photos of him running arnt real because they were told by the club it was an ACL and that meant 12 months on the side line

I don't recall reading the "12 months on the sidelines" (or words to that effect) from a statement by the club at all. It has been bandied around in the media, but I don't recall any definitive statement from the club.

4 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

What kind of running? Straight Line running doesn't put much pressure on the ACL. 

and there are 4.5 months of pre season left

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't recall reading the "12 months on the sidelines" (or words to that effect) from a statement by the club at all. It has been bandied around in the media, but I don't recall any definitive statement from the club.

No the club didnt, I was saying that the assumption was made by the media, supporters et al.Was it @GreenSeater (due to personal experience) who was on here saying that it looked like he didnt need a total ACL procedure because he was off crutches so early?

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

and there are 4.5 months of pre season left

No the club didnt, I was saying that the assumption was made by the media, supporters et al.Was it @GreenSeater (due to personal experience) who was on here saying that it looked like he didnt need a total ACL procedure because he was off crutches so early?

Not me man

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Think that was me.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:23 AM, haz said:

I've had many knee injuries in my short life. I believe he probably has only got a slight tear, the type of ACL injury where a player doesn't require an operation and rest is the best rehab. The same type of injury happened to myself (stepped in a sprinkler hole) during training, I was able to run-it-off although in pain and it wasn't until it swelled up that I went to get scans and it was only a slight tear. It kept me out of sport for about 6 months, I was in a brace for about 3-weeks but once it was off I could still run, but it's not worth the high risk of returning back so soon which is understandable.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:05 AM, haz said:

As I said in another thread it's most likely a small tear or strain. Since he didn't have a full brace on I'd say he'll be good for pre season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nate said:

I'd take Burns over Kamau any day, he's no world beater but he's about as good as wingers get in the A-League without paying marquee wages.

considering we already have brandan, kamau and fitz + any other youth i think we would need to let someone go to fit burns into the squad

5 minutes ago, nah brah said:

considering we already have brandan, kamau and fitz + any other youth i think we would need to let someone go to fit burns into the squad

We let Gameiro go so there is room for another winger, as a balanced squad will have always have 2 players for every spot. Unless we put Arzani in the senior mix.

Kamau surely had a couple of assists but was also leading the charts in crossing the ball behind the goal and missing sitters or forgetting to pull the trigger.

• Like 3

Re Brandon's ACL recovery...

Im actually recovering from an ACL as we speak so can give a bit of insight into it, the actual time on crutches is very minimal. I was off crutches after a week, my splint/moon boot was off after 2 weeks, and it was about a month until I lost my limp during walking. I'm at the 2 month mark as we speak and have been told I can start jogging/running after the 3 month mark. Basically been on the bike since the 2-3 week mark and have gradually upped my leg weights as I've gone along. 

Basically the first 3-5 months is waiting for the ligament to grow into your new ACL, then it's a matter of building your lateral movement from then on, according to my surgeon, generally the 9th month mark is when you're good to go, the rest is just confidence and match fitness.

Off memory Brandon did it in February? So November/December would be a realistic return for him. Some people do have complications after surgery but that depends on the state of your knee/quad prior to the procedure. 

• Like 4

Most knee stability is provided by muscles rather than ligaments. Ligaments themselves are slow to heal because they have a poor blood supply but by that time athletes have lost considerable muscle mass and it takes time to rebuild it before you can put significant stress on it. ACL injuries generally occur from stopping suddenly and overloading the tendon, almost the highest number of ACL injuries in athletes are netballers for this reason. Brandan may be running but you'll only see him running straight lines at the moment

Nathan Burns is an intriguing option since can play on either wing or lead the line (useful if Fornaroli spends a week out injured / suspended), and has proven pedigree in the league.

With Cahill likely to be an impact player this season, Brandan coming back from injury (meaning he probably won't hit full form until mid season), and both Kamau & Fitzgerald being predominantly right sided players, Burns would provide so much flexibility he's certainly worth signing. 

That said it does depends on price. I can't see Burns coming cheap, so it would come down how Burns' wage impacts the remaining space in the cap - can see Burns not being viable if he's wage takes up too much of the cap.

Edited by mattyh001

4 hours ago, Nate said:

I'd take Burns over Kamau any day, he's no world beater but he's about as good as wingers get in the A-League without paying marquee wages.

Honestly. 

Nate, burns would want at least 5 times the amount of Kamau.

It's like saying you'd prefer Wilkinson over Tongyik. No shit, but we need to cheap players to get under the cap.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly. 

It's like saying you'd prefer Wilkinson over Tongyik. No shit, but we need to cheap players to get under the cap.

We should just get Sterling imo

• Like 5

There should be a differnce between Melbourne City A-league fan forum and MC fantasy league forum. 

We really, really need to beef up if we want to matchup cross city rival. We can continue dreaming about Kamau, Fitzy and Caceras bringing a title. Burns is good but instead of forward flare but should strengthen the core of the team first.  If we can fit him after that then okay.

Please Wazza we believe

MelbourneCity2017Wish.JPG.d6be73c12c189ff2073935227b150d16.JPG

BENCH: Bouzanis, Cahill, Kamau, Fitzy, Tongyik    RES: Muscat, Malik, Arzani, Grenau

-Troisi as our first choice RW (similar to Broich's role at roar)

-Marquee Visa CM

-Visa CB

-Jamieson LB

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly. 

Burns has never been on marquee wages and certainly wouldn't demand them now so if we can fit him under the cap, I'm just saying we should go for him as he is an improvement over Kamau. 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Burns has never been on marquee wages and certainly wouldn't demand them now so if we can fit him under the cap, I'm just saying we should go for him as he is an improvement over Kamau. 

The problem then is what happens to Kamau? Since there is a salary cap we can't stop playing someone because we found someone better.

Edited by haz

5 hours ago, haz said:

The problem then is what happens to Kamau? Since there is a salary cap we can't stop playing someone because we found someone better.

Can't Petrillo manage to send him back to Adelaide?

But, seriously, you're right. We can't keep dumping players anyway, whether we think we've found some one better or whether we think the player isn't performing to the level we want. Especially Australian players, because we're running out of players that we can sign unless if we want to go into the season with a youth squad augmented with a handful of senior players.

At the moment our midfield/forward stocks are Arzani, Kilkenny, Genreau, Brandan, Fornaroli, Kamau, Fizgerald, Cahill and Caceres.

We can't dump Kamau. The task is to get him performing to expectation.

7 hours ago, Nate said:

Ar ok see where you are coming from.

We do need a 4th winger but I'm not sure what's left in the cap. I assume there will be some "Sorensen money" to spend, either for the wing or defence, plus the marquee might still go to the wing (or #10).

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Ar ok see where you are coming from.

We do need a 4th winger but I'm not sure what's left in the cap. I assume there will be some "Sorensen money" to spend, either for the wing or defence, plus the marquee might still go to the wing (or #10).

Inside-the-cap "spending money."

Confirmed gone from inside the cap so far: Sorensen, Rose, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro and Retre.

Coming inside the cap so far: Cahill (rumoured $400,000) and Galekovic.

There can't be much space left under the cap. Buggered if I can see how we are going to be able to fit players in.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Inside-the-cap "spending money."

Confirmed gone from inside the cap so far: Sorensen, Rose, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro and Retre.

Coming inside the cap so far: Cahill (rumoured $400,000) and Galekovic.

There can't be much space left under the cap. Buggered if I can see how we are going to be able to fit players in.

Yeah i can see Cahill being an issue and taking up a fair bit of the cap.

Last year he was outside the cap which nobody minded and this year in the cap, taking up valuable space. Is one player alone worth 10 to 15% of the cap? Have we ever had one single player taking up this much?

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah i can see Cahill being an issue and taking up a fair bit of the cap.

Last year he was outside the cap which nobody minded and this year in the cap, taking up valuable space. Is one player alone worth 10 to 15% of the cap? Have we ever had one single player taking up this much?

AFAIK the proposed cap for 2017/18 is $2.92m. http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/furious-aleague-club-slam-ffa-distribution-offer-for-201718/news-story/9304cea2448d6094f03e756c17be3e72 Cahill therefore around 13.7%.

Too much. If we make him our second marquee, then we'll have a bit-player as a marquee.

The situation has the potential to be a stuff-up....

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

AFAIK the proposed cap for 2017/18 is $2.92m. http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/furious-aleague-club-slam-ffa-distribution-offer-for-201718/news-story/9304cea2448d6094f03e756c17be3e72 Cahill therefore around 13.7%.

Too much. If we make him our second marquee, then we'll have a bit-player as a marquee.

If Australia don't qualify for the World Cup Timmy ( for ever the team player, not looking after himself) will retire

no more problem of having to adjust our system to fit him in

He is here for one reason alone, to be in Ange's radar to select him for Russia, so Timmy can be amongst the Greats " I played at 4 World Cups" , " but it's not about me, it's about the team"

• Like 1

FWIW i trust CFG and the club to get it right when it comes to the balance and salary cap etc. I agree on face value that Timmy's portion under the cap seems excessive, but we dont know what else is at play :etc front loading contracts last year etc. Its even harder when you consider players like Brattan and Caceres, who i can only imagine are manipulating the cap in some way or another. Nothing stopping the other clubs doing it either, we are just better at in my still relatively uninformed opinion.

Even Timmy's 400k is an arbitrary figure offered up by one of the journos; we have no way of knowing how accurate that is.

Tbh if we wanted to we could pay him whatever we wanted as the 14 game guest stint player and then only his games after the 14th count to the cap. Plenty of ways of manipulating the numbers, and imo CFG are the best in the business at getting around the rules.

Cahill on last season's performance is worth 400k. If he can reproduce that standard then to me no issue. 

Part of Wazzas brief would be working out a system for Cahill and Fornaroli so I think Cahill and Fornaroli will have a better season than last.

I'm not a massive Cahill fan but still think he is a valuable part of the squad. I just don't get the angst. He is with us as a player for this season and that's that. Enjoy his last season as a pro.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Exactly, we've hired a sucessful 'yoof coach', even if he can do nothing else he should improve the skills and decision making of our younger players

I am quietly excited about both Kamau and Caceres under Wazza.

Kamau, under the right guidance, might actually develop into a very good player and if Wazza can't get him to improve his vision and delivery, then I think he will be a liability and needs to be traded in January .

As for Caceres, I think he is not far off being a premium A-league player as his touch and vision creates many high quality attacking opportunities but he just needs to be more consistent.

But in saying that I think many of the players were not confident with the tactics or strategies last season which may have lead to their under performance. Time will tell I suppose.

• Like 1

Dunno when Caceres became everyone's favourite player, but for me he still hasn't displayed enough to get too excited about. Of course, I hope he has a cracking season and thrives with a bit more regular play time, but I won't be surprised if he keeps putting in quiet performances. Can someone link me to some of his good points of last season? I went to nearly every home game and can't think of too much he did.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The more I think of it, I'm getting genuinely concerned. One overage player taking up 14% of the cap. 

People say, ah Retre gone, perfect more room in the cap. But really what has happened is that we have moved Gameiro, Rose and the others on to free up 300-400k. Also maybe another reason why Brattan hasn't been announced? 

I won't be surprised if we won't fill squad because there is isn't anything left and just back fill with youth. Maybe one or two squadies and marquee.

Edited by Mr MO

• jw1739 pinned this topic