Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

30 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

We need another good defender then Jakobsen.

Tongyik is a good youth defender and i see potential in him, but he is young and still learning and he cannot start every game and always look up to him. Yes he can start in games and be subbed on but not starting every game IMO

Unfortunately inconsistent game time doesn't equal consistent performances in most players

Tongyik would likely find better form with more game time but for me he is one that would need to play 90 in the NPL/Youth team if he's not going to play a game in the first team. 

Although I think he's capable of stepping up, we still need another experienced defender, maybe even 2 if we get rid of Malik or move him back to CDM backup

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Do you want him to start or not?

Once he is on you can't sub him on.

Without being rude that is utter nonsense. 

be rude!  tongyik is a liability in defence and can come nowhere near the starting 11.  we need to sign 1 decent defender to pair with jakobsen.  and not curtis good - the guy has more time off injured than rhys williams.  

20 minutes ago, nah brah said:

be rude!  tongyik is a liability in defence and can come nowhere near the starting 11.  we need to sign 1 decent defender to pair with jakobsen.  and not curtis good - the guy has more time off injured than rhys williams.  

More than one.

Current defenders are Franjic, Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, and Pierias. I reckon Malik is the weakest of our real senior players, and out of that lot only Franjic and Jakobsen are starters. Franjic didn't set the world on fire last season IMO, and Jakobsen appears to have issues with his calf. With Bouzanis behind them that defence has all the appearance of a colander.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Exactly, the signing of 2 experienced CBs at Jacobson's level is a must.

You do realise we have a salary cap right? I agree that'd be great, but there's no sense in having three bona fide CB's on your list in this competition.

You need two, with two-three cheap but capable fill in's, or one-two cheap but capable fill in's and a utility. Anything more than that is wasting salary cap space.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Exactly, the signing of 2 experienced CBs at Jacobson's level is a must.

Would be a bit difficult to get another two CBs at Jacobsen's level tbh. When he's not injured he's easily within the top 2-3 CBs in the league. We'd realistically be smart to get one more CB of a high quality and another at around Tongyik's level for cover.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

More than one.

Current defenders are Franjic, Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, and Pierias. I reckon Malik is the weakest of our real senior players, and out of that lot only Franjic and Jakobsen are starters. Franjic didn't set the world on fire last season IMO, and Jakobsen appears to have issues with his calf. With Bouzanis behind them that defence has all the appearance of a colander.

fair enough.  i meant central defender.  imo any more defenders will come down to the managers prefered style of play.  3 4 or 5 at the back.

So basically we have 17 contracted players. 

What is the status with Sorensen? 

But that leaves 2 visas and 1 Marquee plus potential guest marquee. Also we would most likely use an injury visa replacement for Fernando for a half the season  (most likely January ).

So that is at bare minimum 3 quality players we can bring in. 

I would us the Marquee on a #10.

Visa on a right footed CB. And the 3rd visa on an attacking wide player that could play hopefully in several positions in the front 3. 

But thats me.

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But that leaves 2 visas and 1 Marquee plus potential guest marquee. Also we would most likely use an injury visa replacement for Fernando for a half the season  (most likely January ).

Visa on a right footed CB. And the 3rd visa on an attacking wide player that could play hopefully in several positions in the front 3. 

But thats me.

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 9th April 2017

Number           Name                           Contract until
Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/20.
--                      James Delianov (Y?)   31/5/19    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017

Defenders.
5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.
6                      Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Manny Muscat             31/5/18.
21                    Ruon Tongyik               31/5/18.
22                    Michael Jakobsen (V)  31/5/18.
--                      Dylan Pieiras (Y?)        31/5/19.    News item Club web-site 30th March 2017
Midfielders.
18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.
14                    Daniel Arzani                31/5/18.
27                    Fernando Brandan (V)  31/5/18.
8                      Neil Kilkenny                 31/5/18.

--                     Denis Genreau (Y?)       31/5/20.   News item Club web-site 30th March 2017 (duration of contract ambiguous)
Forwards.
23                    Bruno Fornaroli (M,V)    31/5/19.
12                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/18.
11                    Bruce Kamau                 31/5/18.
17                    Tim Cahill                       31/5/18.

V:  Visa player.
M:  Marquee player.
Y?: Assumed to be one of the 3 youth players allowed outside the cap under the "23+3" provision.

Number of players listed above: 17.
As at 18th April 2017.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 if we include Delianov, Pierias, and Genreau. Otherwise 14.

As I understand it there is no full-season guest marquee for next season, just a 14-match guest player.

There has been no "official" announcement on Sorensen, just the statement by Valkanis.

You and I have had this debate before, but IMO there are big gaps everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But thats me.

Correct me if im wrong but since we have fernando, fornaroli & jakobsen as our visa players, wouldnt that mean we have only 2 visa spots left? And a 14 game guest player spot open too.

1 minute ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Correct me if im wrong but since we have fernando, fornaroli & jakobsen as our visa players, wouldnt that mean we have only 2 visa spots left? And a 14 game guest player spot open too.

Sorry! I thought u meant 3 visa spots open.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

You do realise we have a salary cap right? I agree that'd be great, but there's no sense in having three bona fide CB's on your list in this competition.

You need two, with two-three cheap but capable fill in's, or one-two cheap but capable fill in's and a utility. Anything more than that is wasting salary cap space.

Yeah I can see what you are saying. Not that my opinion could be relevant as the manager hasn't been selected, however Ivan and Osama I don't think are up to it and Caceres and Brattan are unknown for next season, Timmy afaik isn't on much next season and this together with some quality youth to become second tier players frees some of the cap. So we might find ourselves in a better position to get some high quality CBs that can also play defensive full back roles. Plus visa, marquee and CFG $$ we could do ok.

Who knows.

36 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah I can see what you are saying. Not that my opinion could be relevant as the manager hasn't been selected, however Ivan and Osama I don't think are up to it and Caceres and Brattan are unknown for next season, Timmy afaik isn't on much next season and this together with some quality youth to become second tier players frees some of the cap. So we might find ourselves in a better position to get some high quality CBs that can also play defensive full back roles. Plus visa, marquee and CFG $$ we could do ok.

Who knows.

Cahill from memory was reported to be on 400k for the second year. Not massive but still a big chunk. Malik and Franjic are both contracted so unless they find another club we have to pay them. The squad has been pretty much set with 3 big players potentially and 3 or 4 squaddies.

Edited by Jovan

23 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I believe somebody mentioned on here once before that he's retired but they haven't announced it as he's still on the books for visa reasons

that's how i read it.   he hasnt officially retired but he has been let go.

i wouldnt mind seeing us make a move for spiranovic.  he's likely to chase the money - but wasting away in chinese second division cant be very pleasant.

13 minutes ago, nah brah said:

that's how i read it.   he hasnt officially retired but he has been let go.

i wouldnt mind seeing us make a move for spiranovic.  he's likely to chase the money - but wasting away in chinese second division cant be very pleasant.

sitting in a chinese rehab room for 2m u.s, would be a bigger mistake than getting koren to bring him here on marquee money 

12 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

sitting in a chinese rehab room for 2m u.s, would be a bigger mistake than getting koren to bring him here on marquee money 

didnt realise he was out injured.  he used to be out quite a lot but has been pretty consistent for the last 3 or 4 years.  i agree, the last thing we need is more signings with injury clouds.  matt jurman has returned to my first choice CB signing.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4024/aussies-abroad/2017/03/08/33415552/spiranovic-to-miss-a-significant-amount-of-time-with-injury

52 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Im not doubting u man. But transfermarket hasn't been updated. I have to see it to believe it. What a signing ge would be. Him and fornaroli up front then sub off either one of them for Cahill. Thats dangerous.

One of his family members posted it on twitter so I guess Transfrmarket is a bit slow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

This whole forum is a big storm in a teacup 

The trouble is that all you guys are taking the whole City/engage with fans thing too seriously. You've got it all wrong. The really important news breaks on Scott Munn's Instagram.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The trouble is that all you guys are taking the whole City/engage with fans thing too seriously. You've got it all wrong. The really important news breaks on Scott Munn's Instagram.

At first glance I thought his username said scrotum 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Samaras in confirmed 

6 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Im not doubting u man. But transfermarket hasn't been updated. I have to see it to believe it. What a signing ge would be. Him and fornaroli up front then sub off either one of them for Cahill. Thats dangerous.

You couldn't script this shit

• Like 1

On 2017-6-10 at 11:00 AM, nah brah said:

didnt realise he was out injured.  he used to be out quite a lot but has been pretty consistent for the last 3 or 4 years.  i agree, the last thing we need is more signings with injury clouds.  matt jurman has returned to my first choice CB signing.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4024/aussies-abroad/2017/03/08/33415552/spiranovic-to-miss-a-significant-amount-of-time-with-injury

spiranovic played tonight.  in china 2.

On 2017-6-8 at 7:07 PM, playmaker said:

Who knows.

I'm pretty sure the rumour was that Brattan was staying and Caceras was going in pursuit of a move in Europe(clearly he needs psychiatric help if he think's he's good enough).

While it was Brattan himself that had hinted he was staying on but can't find specifically what he said now. 

AS for Sorensen, the club had him and Timmy doing their coaching degrees on Snapchat so I took that as a hint that he might be staying on as a coach which I think would be great...

2 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

I'm pretty sure the rumour was that Brattan was staying and Caceras was going in pursuit of a move in Europe(clearly he needs psychiatric help if he think's he's good enough).

While it was Brattan himself that had hinted he was staying on but can't find specifically what he said now. 

AS for Sorensen, the club had him and Timmy doing their coaching degrees on Snapchat so I took that as a hint that he might be staying on as a coach which I think would be great...

Caceras' Instrgram has him in France at the moment, while all other players are back now.

can't wait for the coach to finally be announced and for us to finally start picking up players. We need min 7-8 players a few of which will be starters so we need to get cracking... Other then Bonavacia(would be an expensive pickup) and Izzo, I can't say we've really missed out on anyone, but the longer we wait the harder it gets. And it would be good to have the starting team mostly sorted before pre season. 

• jw1739 pinned this topic