Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

17 hours ago, haz said:

Would like us to go for Ibini on loan/permanent. Would be ahead of all our wingers except Brandan

ibini isnt as good as he was with ccm.  i'd rather kamau, fitz and brandan.  ibini has loads of potential but is yet to step up and fulfil it.

6 hours ago, Tony999 said:

He also has his own football clinic on Saturday's that runs for about 2-3hrs. Quite popular and getting up to 50 kids.

i was thinking about the captain issue and i reckon franjic deserves a look in.

ex socceroo - still on the fringes and has world cup experience.

won championships with brisbane

played in europe - although screwed over by his russian club

coaches a junior team

seems pretty down to earth and like a decent guy. coaches juniors in his spare time.

works his arse of in most games and takes on any player.

he is the kind of captain that can set a new standard of behaviour and maybe step away from some of the egoic on field shit we have had to suffer this season.

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

ibini isnt as good as he was with ccm.  i'd rather kamau, fitz and brandan.  ibini has loads of potential but is yet to step up and fulfil it.

coaches a junior team

seems pretty down to earth and like a decent guy. coaches juniors in his spare time.

he is the kind of captain that can set a new standard of behaviour and maybe step away from some of the egoic on field shit we have had to suffer this season.

Have to disagree there. A captain needs to be a certain starting player, and I don't think Franjic is that any more. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nah brah said:

coaches a junior team

We should get him out of the team not put him as captain.. have a look a Grant last night did not stop running if that was franjic he will gone within 15min because he won't be able to run anymore

Melbourne City FC can confirm it has today released four players following the conclusion of the Club’s Hyundai A-League 2016/17 campaign.

Josh Rose, Steve Kuzmanovski and Corey Gameiro will not remain with Melbourne City FC for the 2017/18 A-League season, following the conclusion of their contracts.

In addition, Nicolas Colazo has completed his loan spell at Melbourne City and will return to Argentine Primera Division side Boca Juniors.

The Club would like to thank all outgoing players for their contribution during their time at Melbourne City FC and wishes them all the best for the future.

2 minutes ago, Tomi said:
Melbourne City FC can confirm it has today released four players following the conclusion of the Club’s Hyundai A-League 2016/17 campaign.

Josh Rose, Steve Kuzmanovski and Corey Gameiro will not remain with Melbourne City FC for the 2017/18 A-League season, following the conclusion of their contracts.

In addition, Nicolas Colazo has completed his loan spell at Melbourne City and will return to Argentine Primera Division side Boca Juniors.

The Club would like to thank all outgoing players for their contribution during their time at Melbourne City FC and wishes them all the best for the future.

Good call on all tbh, would have considered Rose for one more year but I reckon its curtains for his career.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Good call on all tbh, would have considered Rose for one more year but I reckon its curtains for his career.

Might have gambled with either Kuzi or Gameiro but definitely not both. Tough call but ultimately probably a wise on. Josh Rose could maybe got another season but hopefully that means we will see 2 new lbs.

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Agree. No official word on Sorensen, Brattan, Caceres yet. Interesting.

Good decisions all-around. Rose may have been a bit stiff as he finished the season well, but he's 35 years old. Can't see him running out another season in the A League. Not fussed about Colazo or Kuzmanovski, but pretty shattered for Gameiro. Poor bloke has been so unlucky. Hope he gets another chance somewhere else.

13 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Good decisions all-around. Rose may have been a bit stiff as he finished the season well, but he's 35 years old. Can't see him running out another season in the A League. Not fussed about Colazo or Kuzmanovski, but pretty shattered for Gameiro. Poor bloke has been so unlucky. Hope he gets another chance somewhere else.

Yep Gameiro just lucked out. If he does get another contract in the A League knowing our luck he will destroy it. And to he honest I really hope he does. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Yep Gameiro just lucked out. If he does get another contract in the A League knowing our luck he will destroy it. And to he honest I really hope he does. 

The way I see it, even if he is able to get himself fit and injury free, he hasn't played in the better part of two years. I think he needs to spend some time in the NPL and work his way back into the A League if I'm honest. Can't see him being up to standard after that big a break

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

The way I see it, even if he is able to get himself fit and injury free, he hasn't played in the better part of two years. I think he needs to spend some time in the NPL and work his way back into the A League if I'm honest. Can't see him being up to standard after that big a break

He's 24, and if you look at his record he's played only a few matches at senior level. Cruel for him, but I can't see him getting back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Would people want us to go after Chris Harold? Rate him really highly.

Chris Harold is finishing a law degree I think, I'm not sure he will even continue with his professional football career

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I'm not sure whether they are good or bad decisions until we know who their replacements will be, they all need to be replaced with better players in the context of an overall better balanced squad

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

Sorry- didn't know that.

What about Jamal Reiners? I saw a couple of people linking him to us on Twitter

No problem , I only discovered that watching the other night, or watching the replay of our final against Perth

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

if only we had a second division

• Like 1

Just now, Chris p said:

Sucks for Gameiro and kuzi, been fucked over by poor management

Wouldn't complain if they were to comeback and score hattrick against us one day  

I don't think you can say that at all. Completely unfair and unjustified comment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Wouldn't complain if they were to comeback and score hattrick against us one day  

Completely inaccurate. They've been injured and to have 3 players on long-term injuries including Brandan is mismanagement. 

i cant say i'm overly surprised by the four exits; one under performing marquee / inconsistent visa player, a 35 year old who showed at different times through out the season his best days are past him (which is very sad given how underrated Josh Rose was when playing at CCM - i feel the improvement he showed after a very poor start to the season highlighted that Rose had talent; he just couldnt perform week in week out), and two victims of ACL injuries who still have a long road of recovery to return (should they actually make it back to the A League).

out of curiosity, how does the maximum squad quota work with contracted players from the youth team? I know that we have to have at least three contracted players aged 20 or under, and that the contracts for the scholarship / youth contracts count towards the salary cap, but it all seems murky since IIRC a number of the youth players can be excluded from the squad number cap of 23

ages to go before the start of next season ... by God this feels like its gonna be a long off season -_-

Edited by mattyh001

6 hours ago, Chris p said:

C'mon Kuzi received his injury playing for the Young Socceroos, it ha nothing to do with us. Lucky for the 3 of them they have access to the Germano Treatment Centre, the most experienced facility of it's kind in the Milky Way

35 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

C'mon Kuzi received his injury playing for the Young Socceroos, it ha nothing to do with us. Lucky for the 3 of them they have access to the Germano Treatment Centre, the most experienced facility of it's kind in the Milky Way

please stop spreading round earth propaganda 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

i cant say i'm overly surprised by the four exits; one under performing marquee / inconsistent visa player, a 35 year old who showed at different times through out the season his best days are past him (which is very sad given how underrated Josh Rose was when playing at CCM - i feel the improvement he showed after a very poor start to the season highlighted that Rose had talent; he just couldnt perform week in week out), and two victims of ACL injuries who still have a long road of recovery to return (should they actually make it back to the A League).

Rose improved when we stopped playing him in a back 3 and started playing him in a back 4

Just now, strider said:

please stop spreading round earth propaganda 

The turtle holding the elephant holding the flat earth has never held a finer medical rehab institute

• Like 4

People have to remember as well that the salary cap rules are due to change next season. At the least, it will increase to $2.9m+ and at the most (unlikely) all visa spots could be exempt. So an extra $300k-$400k is pretty much a decent Australian or Visa Player which would be an obvious upgrade to a minimum wage squaddie. Furthermore I hope the club actually know the possible exemptions from the cap. More precisely the loyalty players and mature age rookie, if we keep turning over players we will never have anyone eligible for $200k outside of the game as a loyalty player. With the mature age rookie, surely there would be someone killing it in the NPL which could be persuaded by a move to club with the facilities and connections blah blah blah (I understand that the best NPL players make a good living from their football wage combined with their regular job). 

Here is the link to salary cap rules: http://www.a-league.com.au/about

Edited by haz

6 hours ago, haz said:

People have to remember as well that the salary cap rules are due to change next season. At the least, it will increase to $2.9m+ and at the most (unlikely) all visa spots could be exempt. So an extra $300k-$400k is pretty much a decent Australian or Visa Player which would be an obvious upgrade to a minimum wage squaddie. Furthermore I hope the club actually know the possible exemptions from the cap. More precisely the loyalty players and mature age rookie, if we keep turning over players we will never have anyone eligible for $200k outside of the game as a loyalty player. With the mature age rookie, surely there would be someone killing it in the NPL which could be persuaded by a move to club with the facilities and connections blah blah blah (I understand that the best NPL players make a good living from their football wage combined with their regular job). 

Here is the link to salary cap rules: http://www.a-league.com.au/about

If one thing is quite clear since CFG took over they are pretty much all over all the rules and exemptions regarding the cap. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

out of curiosity, how does the maximum squad quota work with contracted players from the youth team? I know that we have to have at least three contracted players aged 20 or under, and that the contracts for the scholarship / youth contracts count towards the salary cap, but it all seems murky since IIRC a number of the youth players can be excluded from the squad number cap of 23

ages to go before the start of next season ... by God this feels like its gonna be a long off season -_-

Haz has posted the link to the Salary Cap Rules above. These rules apply to the senior squad. The youth squad is a different beast. The club signs around 15 players to youth contracts, and these sit outside the senior squad and therefore outside the salary cap. These youth players are eligible to play in the A-League, and indeed FFA encourages the use of these players as injury replacements instead of bringing in additional players to fill that role. So really the squad available for A-League matches is around 40 players - it's just that some must be youth players as defined.

Overall the rules are complex but, as Jovan says, CFG will be right on top of them.

• jw1739 pinned this topic