Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

28 minutes ago, haz said:

http://www.espnfc.com.au/story/2907396/oleksandr-zinchenko-joins-manchester-city-from-fc-ufa

What do the A League rules allow now? Could Manchester City buy a player then loan him to us for the season (or has that loophole been shut?) to keep him in the CFG network?   I don't believe this lad will ever come near our club, but just the thought.

IIRC the new rules (aka 'Caceres' rule) only applies to Man City transfers regarding other A League clubs so the CFG group were stopped from poaching the best local talent so to fill our books.

That said any such player that gets loaned in must fit under the salary cap (aka 'Lampard' rule).

Given this second was brought in after we signed Villa, I doubt the FFA has a problem with us getting players on loan from overseas as long as the 'paperwork' doesn't look like the player is earning a bullshit low wage to easily fit under the salary cap

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, haz said:

http://www.espnfc.com.au/story/2907396/oleksandr-zinchenko-joins-manchester-city-from-fc-ufa

What do the A League rules allow now? Could Manchester City buy a player then loan him to us for the season (or has that loophole been shut?) to keep him in the CFG network?   I don't believe this lad will ever come near our club, but just the thought.

AFAIK the A-League rule "Caceres" applies only the loan-back of a player signed by Manchester City (or any other future similar owner) from another A-League club.
Also, AFAIK, Caceres-type transfers can still occur, but the player has to wait for two transfer windows to pass before he can play for his new club.
But, in summary, if Zinchenko were loaned to us that could happen immediately. The only thing is that the wages of loaned players have to fit inside the cap, unless they are a marquee of course.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rass said:

Reckon will hear something from the club today re signings. Just a feeling. 

Maybe not today, but I would have thought we ought to be hearing something about our remaining signings - especially visa players - by the end of next week. Other A-League clubs are beginning to make announcements.

• Like 1

Hull City have released Sonny Bradley, Lewis Clarkson, Mark Cullen, Andy Dawson, Jamie Devitt, Kealan Dillon, Daniel East, Daniel Emerton, Francis McCaffrey, Paul McKenna, Seyi Olofinjana and Jay Simpson. Surely we can see our way clear to make whoever is the oldest our marquee.

10 hours ago, Baka1 said:

We should try get Jack Harrison from NYC. If we want an attack minded, fearless right winger, hes our man. Watch the recent derby for highlights. Scored 1 and put the 2nd on a platter for Villa

I think the NYCFC fans would have something to say about that...

• Like 1

Kilkenny played in the Championship last season, for Preston North End, so I guess he's as good as Aaron Mooy:P

On a more serious note, Kilkenny's done a top job in England over the past 15 or so years, first as an Arsenal youth for 3 years, then as a starter at Leeds for 3 seasons, then a regular starter for Bristol in the Championship for 2 years, and lately as a regular for Preston North End in League One for 2 years, and last season featuring in 13 games for PNE in the Championship. Also, Kilkenny has 15 Socceroos caps, most under Oseick for 2014 WC qualifiers, playing 13 times over 2011 and 2012 (and being a Socceroos squaddie making the bench up until June 2012).

A top CV for a player who's just 30. And according to the PNE coach he's still a handy player, who was rather unlucky with PNE:

PNE boss says pair will get fixed up

By Craig Salmon

09 June 2016

Preston North End boss Simon Grayson expects Neil Kilkenny and Chris Kirkland to be snapped up quickly.

The pair were released by North End at the end of the season – the manager deeming them both to be surplus to requirements.

Kirkland arrived at Deepdale last summer – primarily to act as an experienced understudy to Jordan Pickford, who had arrived at the club on loan from Sunderland.

The former Liverpool and Sheffield Wednesday keeper turned out to be the only stable member of the goalkeeping department throughout the season.

After Pickford was recalled by the Black Cats in January following a number of impressive displays, Grayson borrowed Sam Johnstone from Manchester United.

His second loan spell at the club did not last long as United summoned him back to Old Trafford at the start of February.

That was cue for the arrival of former Red Devil Anders Lindegaard, who joined on loan from West Bromwich Albion.

Kirkland was restricted to just six first-team appearances over the season, although he did end the campaign as first choice after Lindegaard suffered a shoulder injury away to Birmingham City.

Kilkenny spent nearly three years at Deepdale after signing – initially on loan – from Bristol City.

In total he made 95 appearances for the club and played a starring role in last season’s glorious play-off final victory over Swindon Town at Wembley.

The Australian – who has not ruled out returning Down Under to continue his career – found himself on the periphery this season, especially over the second half of the campaign.

The pair were the highest-profile names on the released list, which also included Kyel Reid and Andy Little, as well as young professionals Josh Heaton, Jack Ryan and Nick Anderton.

“Kila and Chris were great players around the dressing room and never let us down,” Grayson said.

“Sometimes you have to make these decisions to free up positions in the squad and free up a little bit of money in the budget.

“These are the hard decisions you take as a manager. Last year was even harder when I was releasing players just a few days after we won at Wembley.

“I wish all the lads who have been released the very best in the future.

“I would expect them all to get fixed up quite easily – I see Nick Anderton has got himself a two-year contract at Barrow, which is great for him.

“Chris Kirkland will get plenty of offers, so too Neil Kilkenny.

“Kila was unfortunate not to have played as much as he would have liked last season.

“We were strong in midfield, well off for numbers.

“Sometimes you have to let players go to benefit their career.”

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-boss-says-pair-will-get-fixed-up-1-7953673

If true, would give us a glut of central mids who can a holding / somewhat defensive position; Killkenny, Bratton, Melling, Malik (and Caceres if desperate). Talk about depth!!!

Makes me wonder if Malik is going to be exclusively at the back this season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

If true, would give us a glut of central mids who can a holding / somewhat defensive position; Killkenny, Bratton, Melling, Malik (and Caceres if desperate). Talk about depth!!!

Makes me wonder if Malik is going to be exclusively at the back this season

Yeah left back probably 

• Like 3

Is Melbourne City a graveyard for high-profile Socceroos?

Matt Windley

July 9, 2016

IF Tim Cahill does come to Melbourne City, and he scores goals, then it’s a match made in heaven.

But former City and Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy says the potential recruitment of Australia’s all-time leading goalscorer wouldn’t be entirely without risk.

“I don’t think City need another Socceroo to come and retire on their books,” Kennedy said.

“They’ve gone through (Josip) Skoko, (Vince) Grella, (John) Aloisi, Harry (Kewell), myself, it’s a long list of old Socceroos going there and maybe not panning out how they would have hoped.

“If Tim can come and be fit and healthy, and he can come and score goals as he does, then it will be great.

“He’ll get bums on seats, he’ll attract big interest for City in the A-League and that’s what I really hope happens.

“But if he comes and he’s physically not up to it then those bums on seats in the early days might not last.

“And I don’t think that’s what City wants or what the A-League wants.”

Kennedy, 33, scored two goals in 12 games for City in 2014-15, but remained plagued by a troublesome back that forced him in to retirement.

Grella played just one game off the bench in an injury-marred 2012-13 season with the then-known Melbourne Heart, Kewell scored two goals in 16 games in 2013-14, while Skoko played 22 games and Aloisi scored eight goals in 20 in the club’s debut 2010-11 campaign.

Cahill, although 36, has maintained high standards both for club and country.

Of his 47 international goals, 21 have come since March 2014.

He scored 11 goals in 28 games for Shanghai Shenhua last year and has so far netted four times in 16 games for Hangzhou Greentown.

With his contract for Hangzhou about to expire, an announcement on whether Cahill extends his time in China or comes home to the A-League — almost certainly with City as a 12-month guest player — is expected soon.

Kennedy said the decision on whether to recruit Cahill — considering in Bruno Fornaroli City already boasts last season’s most lethal striker — is an interesting balance between sporting and commercial considerations given the off-field boost the former Everton star could provide.

“You need a balance of success on the pitch combined with success off it,” Kennedy said.

But Kennedy’s not discounting the possibility of Cahill and Fornaroli forming a destructive partnership either.

“Timmy being there opens up another door completely with how he can get up in the air and attract defenders,” Kenendy said of his long-time Socceroos teammate.

“If he plays I’m sure he’s going to have two defenders on him and that would potentially open more space for Bruno — he could score 30 goals next season, who knows?

“If Timmy does come I’m sure they’ll find a combination to suit.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/is-melbourne-city-a-graveyard-for-highprofile-socceroos/news-story/f44cbe5d7e79979263e39e01fd9f78ad

Trashy, click-bait headline from the herald sun (surprise surprise).

Good to hear that an announcement is "expected soon" with Cahill. Don't want a "will he or won't he" saga to drag on.

There's risk with every signing, and if anything Melbourne City has been too careless with old (30-something) players in general. But with the case of Tim Cahill, given that Cahill has scored 21 goals over his last 28 Socceroos games (from 2014 to now), I'd say there's next to no doubt that Cahill would star in the A-League next season if signed.

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic