Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

ATM the squad is down to 18 players, assuming Mooy, Fornaroli, Brattan and Caceres are in. With Mooy highly likely to go, that will leave us 17. We have room for three visa players, and the way I read the list so far we need quality reinforcements everywhere except GK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

ATM the squad is down to 18 players, assuming Mooy, Fornaroli, Brattan and Caceres are in. With Mooy highly likely to go, that will leave us 17. We have room for three visa players, and the way I read the list so far we need quality reinforcements everywhere except GK.

Mooy definitely gone.

90% of our chances this season will depend on our signings between now and round 1.

Need to nail EVERY visa spot. No Aaron Hughes' this year.

48 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Mooy definitely gone.

90% of our chances this season will depend on our signings between now and round 1.

Need to nail EVERY visa spot. No Aaron Hughes' this year.

might go in with 2 visa spots to save some coin for an aussie international if they can get who they want.

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

might go in with 2 visa spots to save some coin for an aussie international if they can get who they want.

No, I disagree with that. You go into the season with five good visa players. Only 27 matches - no use waiting around for what might happen later.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No, I disagree with that. You go into the season with five good visa players. Only 27 matches - no use waiting around for what might happen later.

Well I wouldn't worry, given AntiScum suggested it it's definitely not going to happen

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

No doubt they have there targets settled on and if they can land them all great, if not i dont have a problem in going into the season one visa player short and an aussie international who takes the coin of a Visa player (just remember relocation fees, accomodation, transport etc etc all count under the cap).

Ie: IF for example a Holman is available who takes the extra coin so be it, it`s a win win really (its not really a hit and hope to see if they will adapt or settle for that matter).

You can always sign a visa player come January or  if injuries dont go our way or even a guest stint for that matter.

Edited by AntiScum

27 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

No doubt they have there targets settled on and if they can land them all great, if not i dont have a problem in going into the season one visa player short and an aussie international who takes the coin of a Visa player (just remember relocation fees, accomodation, transport etc etc all count under the cap).

Ie: IF for example a Holman is available who takes the extra coin so be it, it`s a win win really (its not really a hit and hope to see if they will adapt or settle for that matter).

You can always sign a visa player come January or  if injuries dont go our way or even a guest stint for that matter.

Seriously. 

The last 2 seasons we have started them without a full squad and we have lost points in the early rounds. Last year we salvaged our season on an amazing January transfer window. That was very fortunate. 

If we don't have close to a full list most importantly visa spots by round 1 we can just kiss another season goodbye.

But round 1 is a good 12 weeks away so no need to freak. 

Just yet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

Holman is rubbish I hope you're not suggesting we're going after him

Not suggesting Holman one bit it was just an example.

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Seriously. 

The last 2 seasons we have started them without a full squad and we have lost points in the early rounds. Last year we salvaged our season on an amazing January transfer window. That was very fortunate. 

If we don't have close to a full list most importantly visa spots by round 1 we can just kiss another season goodbye.

But round 1 is a good 12 weeks away so no need to freak. 

Just yet.

I could be wrong but most clubs go into the season with one spot available for what ever reasons. If for what ever reason you cant land your targets id rather go one visa player short and wait till someone you want becomes available. Gives you a chance to have some cap money available come Jan

Fourfourtwo linking Alan Baro with victory. http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/victory-linked-spanish-defensive-midfielder

Also recent Spanish articles are linking him to victory and not us.

http://www.emporda.info/esports/2016/06/22/alan-baro-marxa-australia/319032.html

http://www.lesportiudecatalunya.cat/nel9/article/8-esports/52-futbol-catala/978981-alan-baro-cap-a-australia.html

Maybe in those initial articles, they just meant "the city of melbourne" rather than "melbourne city" and google translate messed it up.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2016 at 5:49 PM, heart_fan10 said:

Holman is rubbish I hope you're not suggesting we're going after him

I disagree.
Sure, he's not the most skillful player but he's the kind of guy who gives 100% effort and work rate, and is capable of x-factor moments.

I doubt we'd want him as a marquee though, so I could see a club like Newcastle or Sydney going for him and offering him more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rasputin said:

Boy we're a long way back with all the players we've lost.  We got some serious recruiting to do.

,,,and the rumour mill has stopped turning.

I'm waiting with great interest to see who turns up for pre-season training next week.

So far the positions we need covered are centre back, left back, winger, marquee midfielder. Following that the next important part is betting the best quality back up players in key positions. Ive only added the quality backups we would have  

So far I've got the following positions and their back ups:

Centre backs: Once we get a top centre back we'll have Malik, Muscat and Chapman to decide those two positions.

Left back: Need a starting left back. We have Clisby as back up (not ideal but proven to be solid)  

Right back: we can have Muscat or Retre to replace Franjic

Midfield: If Brattan doesn't play we have Malik and Melling

Attacking Mid: Caceras or Melling can slot into this position.

Wingers: Really need to bring in a quality winger as first choice here as we've lost Novillo. Choice out of Gamiero(should be starter though), Fitzy, Kamau

Striker: If something happens to Bruno who will replace him? Seriously lacking here. 

So assuming we get the following starting players: centre back, left back, marquee mid, winger....I feel the positions we need to look at getting strong back up players is definitely the striker position, and potentially the left back position. 

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, haz said:

Will be interesting to see if they are planning on making Gameiro and Kamau our two starting wingers.  Would be at bad moove imo

I would say Gameiro's career is on a knife edge. It's tough to come back after one ACL let alone two. Training is a lot different from the physicality of a competitive match, and if he's going to come back it's going to have to be gradually. IMO it would be madness to make him a starting player.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would say Gameiro's career is on a knife edge. It's tough to come back after one ACL let alone two. Training is a lot different from the physicality of a competitive match, and if he's going to come back it's going to have to be gradually. IMO it would be madness to make him a starting player.

Remember JW this wouldn't be the first strange decision the club has made. But then again when he plays left back it won't be as demanding as being a winger :ph34r:

• Like 1

I can't fathom the club at all at the moment. It seems to have gone into one of its periodic "snooze" modes. Crappy PR when I thought - despite our various individual opinions - both John Didulica and Harry N. deserved much more recognition for their positive contributions to the club than they received. Especially JD - you don't have a bloke in a senior position for six years and then say goodbye in a couple of sentences.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I can't fathom the club at all at the moment. It seems to have gone into one of its periodic "snooze" modes. Crappy PR when I thought - despite our various individual opinions - both John Didulica and Harry N. deserved much more recognition for their positive contributions to the club than they received. Especially JD - you don't have a bloke in a senior position for six years and then say goodbye in a couple of sentences.

Theres abit more to him leaving than meets the eye .....

Why would someone whore himsefl around for other positions? I know for a fact he approached other clubs before applying for the PFA job

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

Theres abit more to him leaving than meets the eye .....

Why would someone whore himsefl around for other positions? I know for a fact he approached other clubs before applying for the PFA job

Your inside information holds about as much credibility as Christian7s

• Like 1

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 4:47 PM, AntiScum said:

27 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Can't be accurate. 

He will be named just after the Grand Final. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic