Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

13 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Any chance the other marquee could be Frank Lampard? Having a tough time in NYC and said he wouldn't of minded coming here 

Let's wait till he's a bit older first.

seriously if Cahill comes through we don't need 2 marketing players, rather a younger lower profile play maker recommended by the scouts who gave us Tuna. 

• Like 1

"The Secret Agent" reported today that Melbourne City has been interested in Sydney FC's Estonian target Henrik Ojamaa (who BTW is a winger, not a striker as some articles stated):

Attitude concerns over Ojamaa

By The Secret Agent

Jun. 17, 2016

Last week it was reported that Sydney FC were interested in Estonian winger Henrik Ojamaa.

I can confirm that Melbourne City as well as the Wanderers were also keen on the 25-year-old.

However, a thorough look into the player's history confirmed he has a rather large ego and attitude problem.

Ojamaa, who has been capped 23 times by Estonia, has played for 12 clubs over seven years as he has reportedly clashed with team mates and coaches alike.

His talent is unquestionable, having previously commanded a $500,000 transfer fee, but his attitude and repeated misbehaviour leave a lot to be desired.

http://www.sportingnews.com/football/list/the-secret-agent-aussie-marquee-eyes-asian-move/6vesc0cu77ya1bzlm3eck031i/slide/2

17 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

"The Secret Agent" reported today that Melbourne City has been interested in Sydney FC's Estonian target Henrik Ojamaa (who BTW is a winger, not a striker as some articles stated):

Attitude concerns over Ojamaa

By The Secret Agent

Jun. 17, 2016

Last week it was reported that Sydney FC were interested in Estonian winger Henrik Ojamaa.

I can confirm that Melbourne City as well as the Wanderers were also keen on the 25-year-old.

However, a thorough look into the player's history confirmed he has a rather large ego and attitude problem.

Ojamaa, who has been capped 23 times by Estonia, has played for 12 clubs over seven years as he has reportedly clashed with team mates and coaches alike.

His talent is unquestionable, having previously commanded a $500,000 transfer fee, but his attitude and repeated misbehaviour leave a lot to be desired.

http://www.sportingnews.com/football/list/the-secret-agent-aussie-marquee-eyes-asian-move/6vesc0cu77ya1bzlm3eck031i/slide/2

Are you happy the way the squad is shaping up Murfy?

I can see it being our strongest squad yet even accounting for the loss of Mooy and Novillo

45 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Are you happy the way the squad is shaping up Murfy?

I can see it being our strongest squad yet even accounting for the loss of Mooy and Novillo

I'm reserving my judgement at this point.

Melbourne City has been linked with a lot of exciting players for next season: Caceres (re-signing), Brattan, Tim Cahill, a "big-name" marquee.

But so far for next season we've only officially signed: Manny Muscat, Bruce Kamau, Nick Fitzgerald (re-signing)  and Daniel Arzani.

All up, I'd rate the confirmed recruitment as good, not great. But if the rumored signings all eventuate, it will be a great transfer window, and I agree the club will probably have its strongest squad yet. 

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

I'm reserving my judgement at this point.

Melbourne City has been linked with a lot of exciting players for next season: Caceres (re-signing), Brattan, Tim Cahill, a "big-name" marquee.

But so far for next season we've only officially signed: Manny Muscat, Bruce Kamau, Nick Fitzgerald (re-signing)  and Daniel Arzani.

All up, I'd rate the confirmed recruitment as good, not great. But if the rumored signings all eventuate, it will be a great transfer window, and I agree the club will probably have its strongest squad yet. 

I would say Caceres and Brattan are pretty nailed on Murfy.

I agree it will depend on who we sign to replace the likes of Mooy that will decide if we are stronger next season.

1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

His FIFA 15 stats

Screenshot_2016-06-18-23-33-35.png

I wouldn't say playing for Motherwell is good enough to give him an ego. If that is the case I would rather stick with Harry.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2016 at 1:44 PM, JC22 said:

You've gotta stop trying to understand our clubs decision making. Ie not replacing Koren last year. 

You'll be a lot better off for it.

I dont bother trying to understand it. From what ive heard things change on a weekly basis. After all it is a new market for them and with the FFA always moving the goal posts makes things alot difficult. Replacing Koren would of been nice and thinking about it now masterstroke by the club saved money on agents fees, wages & moving costs.

Wrt to Ojamaa, people were also luke-warm about Tuna until he started to hit his straps for us. I look at scouting for players as a bit like looking for good shares to buy on the stock-market - basically you're looking for something that is under-valued for whatever reason.
No club anywhere is going to get its recruiting right all the time, but if the Secret Agent is right and we are looking at players such as Ojamaa then I'm pretty happy with that because it means we're looking "outside the box."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wrt to Ojamaa, people were also luke-warm about Tuna until he started to hit his straps for us. I look at scouting for players as a bit like looking for good shares to buy on the stock-market - basically you're looking for something that is under-valued for whatever reason.
No club anywhere is going to get its recruiting right all the time, but if the Secret Agent is right and we are looking at players such as Ojamaa then I'm pretty happy with that because it means we're looking "outside the box."

I think people were lukewarm because his goal kicking record was not very good. In this instance people are sceptical because of his attitude which is a completely different issue with different dynamics for the team.

• Like 1

Thats one shithouse CV 

5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I think people were lukewarm because his goal kicking record was not very good. In this instance people are sceptical because of his attitude which is a completely different issue with different dynamics for the team.

"goal kicking" good thing he's not a goalkeeper 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

As much as i would like Birra i think Bouzanis showed a little bit in the cameo he made.

Lol, Bouzanis is horrible, but most 2nd keepers in this league are. No way will he get to be #1 when Sorenson goes.

I think it's pointless to speculate now, the market will be very different in a year, who knows who will be available and if any Aussie keeper will have a breakout season.

It does seem there is a bit of a lack of good youngish Aussie keepers as most A-League clubs have stuck to experienced keepers and the few good young keepers that have gotten a go ended up being good enough to go overseas.

FWIW, if we had to bring someone in now, and wanted to chance a young keeper (which isn't a bad idea since goalkeeper is a fairly unimportant position and we could save some salary cap $$$), I like John Hall from Adelaide. But he will probably take over as Adelaide's #1 by next season.

Edited by Tesla

@TeslaSorry mate but I think goal keepers are very important. If you want to win titles you need a good keeper and a great keeper can carry an average side a long way. I always find your logic interesting but you are way off on this one. (The least important player? Well as @belaguttmanis fond of saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link so you don't want any weak players, but perhaps the fullbacks are where you could spend the least, though this depends on your proposed style of play.)

examples. Birmingham's above mid table finish with Joe Hart. (2004?) WSW team of journeymen winning the ACL thanks to Ante Covic.

Flip side. Reddy at Roar, Redmayne at Heart. 

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

@TeslaSorry mate but I think goal keepers are very important. If you want to win titles you need a good keeper and a great keeper can carry an average side a long way. I always find your logic interesting but you are way off on this one. (The least important player? Well as @belaguttmanis fond of saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link so you don't want any weak players, but perhaps the fullbacks are where you could spend the least, though this depends on your proposed style of play.)

examples. Birmingham's above mid table finish with Joe Hart. (2004?) WSW team of journeymen winning the ACL thanks to Ante Covic.

Flip side. Reddy at Roar, Redmayne at Heart. 

What about us last season with the best keeper in the league?

The way I see it, if you need to consistently rely on your keeper to win games then you have issues in the outfield that need addressing and perhaps your resources would have better been directed there. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

What about us last season with the best keeper in the league? If you need to consistently rely on your keeper to win games then you have issues in the outfield that need addressing.

Not sure of your point?

a good keepers not a magic wand.

We had the best striker to ever play in the league and that didn't get us the title either. 

As a rule, You need a good team that knows their roles and plays for each other to win stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Sorensen is great cause he gets personally offended whenever he cops a goal. Bouzanis won us our first clean sheet, though

Even Redmayne had good games. Since Bouzanis was 16 I've heard a lot of crap about how good he is but all I've ever seen is a really below average keeper whose career has only gone backwards.

32 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure of your point?

a good keepers not a magic wand.

We had the best striker to ever play in the league and that didn't get us the title either. 

As a rule, You need a good team that knows their roles and plays for each other to win stuff.

This makes me weep: best striker, best GK and best AM and we won didly squat. Not even the respect or hate of the other teams.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

This makes me weep: best striker, best GK and best AM and we won didly squat. Not even the respect or hate of the other teams.

Not sure if you realised but this season alone gave us way more exposure and hate from other teams than all other seasons combined. Adelaide rivalry, wsw/roar rivalry, Tards are actually scared and pissed off

Edited by jeffplz

52 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Because besides mooy we had no midfield.  We need to sign at least 3 quality midfielders because once mooy leaves we have no one that can play the ball about and provide assists.  Having Bruno Tim and Harry up front will be of no use if we don't sign some quality midfielders.  Should give Castro an offer he can't refuse.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic