Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

A very sensible article from SmithiesĀ IMO. Too many people assume that we have unlimited financial resources at our disposal, and this is just not the case. CFG is a business, and its component parts run as businesses, and we are no exception.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The real conflict for CFG is that they won't want to sign a player who wishes to promote his own academy when they have their own ideas around early footballer development and academies

This is a very good point, unless they enter in some sort of partnership, ie. Man City/Melbourne City might get first interest in anyone decent unearthed at Cahill's academy.

David Gallopā€™s olive branch to Tim Cahill

Ā 

June 9, 2016

Ray Gatt

Ā 

Has David Gallop paved the way for Tim Cahillā€™s move to the A-League?

The Football Federation Australia chief executive went a long way to smoothing discontent between the two after confirming he had met with theĀ Socceroos star in Sydney last week.

Gallop released a statement yesterday admitting he regretted comments he made about Cahill earlier this year. Gallop had claimed Ā­Cahill knocked back A-League clubs because they could not meet his needs.

Cahill lashed out in response, saying the A-League had failed to attract big-name footballers and lacked the vision to capitalise on world class players such as Alessandro Del Piero, who had a stint with Sydney FC.

Cahill was also adamant heā€™d had no telephone contact with Gallop, as had been intimated by the FFA boss. Gallop conceded in his statement that his communication with Cahill at the time of his departure from Shanghai Shenhua was ā€œvia text messagesā€.

Gallopā€™s move is seen as pivotal in the restoration of the relationship between Cahill and FFA, and opening the door if he is to play in the A-League after his contract with Hangzhou Greentown in China expires next month.

As revealed exclusively inĀ The AustralianĀ on Tuesday, cashed-up Melbourne City are making a play to sign Cahill for next season and are prepared to offer between $2 million and $3m. It is understood the two parties have been in discussions for three months.

Cahill was due to speak about his future after the Socceroosā€™ 2-1 loss to Greece in Melbourne on Tuesday night, but flew back to China yesterday morning after again meeting with Gallop.

While he has said he would never close the door on playing in the national compĀ­etition, the Ā­issues regarding the 36-year-oldā€™s strained relationship with FFA were seen as a stumbling block.

That was at least removed on the weekend with Gallop extending the olive branch and declaring he would like nothing better than to see Cahill playing his club football in Australia.

ā€œTim and I had a chance to catch up last week in Sydney. Firstly, it was a chance for me to reiterate that it would be fantastic to have Tim playing in the A-League,ā€ Gallop said in the statement. ā€œOf course, that would require a club to take the lead in signing Tim, a process that FFA would support in any way we can.

ā€œWhatever decision he next takes, he told me the door is not closed to the A-League and wonā€™t be while ever he is still playing football. He did not intend to so strongly criticise the competition, but rather demonstrate his passion and ambition for Australian football. We see that every time he pulls on the Socceroos shirt.

ā€œIā€™d love to see him playing every week here. We are ready to explore the opportunity of him playing here, including looking at the off-the-field activities that Tim is so passionate about, including his academy program and other grassroots initiatives.

ā€œI obviously regret that my comments in February were taken as a criticism of him and the whole thing became the subject of so much commentary.

ā€œThe relevant issues around his decision to stay in China could have been more clearly explained by me. With his kids only just starting new schools in Shanghai, the option of playing at Hangzhou Greentown was the best next move for him.ā€

Ā 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/david-gallops-olive-branch-to-tim-cahill/news-story/eb38dc4e2522aa9e2bbf3d252d41e999

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

So new marquee rules might enable FFA to gift Sydney FC Tim Cahill..............Ā <_<Ā they should just call it Sydney Football Association

I'm not holding my breathe but we could potentially also benefit from having an extra big player. Obviously that would be secondary to whatever happens in Sydney.Ā 

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm not holding my breathe but we could potentially also benefit from having an extra big player. Obviously that would be secondary to whatever happens in Sydney.Ā 

Absolutely but am more pointing out that FFA will pay some money towards Sydney having a marquee and everyone else can fend for themselves. I kind of think it should go towards one of the clubs the FFA has taken over so they can sell it and bring more money back into the game.

Just now, hakz7 said:

No it isn't. Apparently weĀ wanted the 3rd spot for Cahill but since it wasn't granted, the only way we can get him is through a guest stint.

Phew:)

I really don't know how the team would work with Cahill and Bruno and still play the way that we want to play. No player is bigger than the team

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Also this...

"They wanted clubs to let them play with 3 marquees but clubs said "no" after "very robust" debate"

-Ray Gatt

This league progresses at an incredibly slow pace. Infuriating, regardless of whether you're a "big club" or not.

"It can be revealed that a meeting of club chairmen on Wednesday gave a resounding ā€œnoā€ after they were asked to allow City to go outside of the rules and field three marquees instead of two for next season so they could accommodate Cahill."

Ā 

Apparently we have had a big marquee in the pipe works for months, which is the reason there's this talk of accomodating a third marquee spot for Cahill.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Full article:

Ā 

Tim Cahill unlikely to be in A-League next season after bid fails

Ā 

Ray Gatt

June 10, 2016

Ā 

The likelihood of Tim Cahill playing in the A-League next season has nosedived.

Football Federation Australia appears to have failed in an audacious bid to convince the other clubs to allow Melbourne City to sign the Socceroos legend as a third marquee player.

It can be revealed that a meeting of club chairmen on Wednesday gave a resounding ā€œnoā€ after they were asked to allow City to go outside of the rules and field three marquees instead of two for next season so they could accommodate Cahill.

The AustralianĀ broke the story earlier this week that the cashed-up Victorian club had been in talks for the past three months with the man regarded as the greatest Socceroo of all time with a view to signing him in a bid to lift their profile.

There has also been interest for Cahill from other clubs, including Sydney FC, but it is understood the clubs are unwilling to meet the financial demands, reportedly around the $3 million-plus a season mark, even allowing for the fact FFA has a fighting fund to help assist.

City, owned by the City Football Group, owners of the Manchester City and New York City clubs, can easily accommodate Cahillā€™s wages but they are hamstrung in signing him because they already have two marquees on their books.

With Socceroo Aaron Mooy expected to move to Europe, thus freeing a marquee spot, they recently upgraded the contract of Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli after his sensational A-League debut season when he broke all scoring records for the national competition.

In terms of a second marquee,Ā The AustralianĀ understands City will unveil a big-name signing they have had under wraps for several months and one that came before Cahill was an Ā­option.

With Cityā€™s quota filled, FFA, desperate to have Cahillā€™s star value in the A-League, suggested to the clubs at Wednesdayā€™s meeting that they allow the Victorians to have an extra marquee for 12 months.

According to one source, ā€œthere was plenty of robust debateā€ before they all turned down the idea.

ā€œThere was certainly a lot of toing and froing but, in the end, everyone was in agreement that it would be a grossly unfair Ā­advantage for City,ā€ the source said.

The move to have Cahill Ā­finally play in the A-League comes after chief executive David Gallop resolved a number of issues with the Socceroo while he was in Australia for the two-game series against Greece.

The pair met in Sydney last week and again after the second match in Melbourne on Tuesday and it resulted in Gallop issuing a statement, with Cahillā€™s knowledge, on Wednesday in which he apologised for some comments he made about the player in February.

It is clear that FFA is now making a concerted effort to have the 36-year-old in the Ā­national competition.

Cahillā€™s presence would be a massive boost not just in terms of bringing more people through the gate, but marketing and Ā­promotion-wise.

More importantly, he is seen as a massive factor for FFA as they attempt to strike a new broadcast deal.

The current four-year $160m deal expires at the end of next season (2016-17) and they are hoping to double it to $80m a season.

Of course, much of this depends on Cahill and what he has planned.

His contract with Hangzhou Greentown expires at the end of next month.

It has been reported there are several clubs in China keen to sign him, including Shanghai SIPG.

There is also the option of returning to the MLS, where he had a highly successful stint with the New York Red Bulls.

Ā 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-unlikely-to-be-in-aleague-next-season-after-bid-fails/news-story/e50dcf17c6e179557ea853082285db39

Ā 

Ā 

Also:

Ā 

Austin set to leave Mariners

Ā 

John Davidson

10 June, 2016

Ā 

Forward Mitch Austin has asked for a release from the Central Coast Mariners and is set to depart the A-League club.

FourFourTwo understands that there are up to five A-League clubs interested in signing the young attacker, who is still under contract to the Mariners next season.Ā 

They include Melbourne City, Adelaide United, Newcastle Jets, Western Sydney and Melbourne Victory.

A player swap has been mooted with another A-League club to allow Austin to leave Central Coast Stadium.

The 25-year old, who joined the Mariners in 2015, scored five goals in 23 appearances last season.

The forward and his management were unavailable for comment when contacted by FourFourTwo.

Central Coast coach Tony Walmsley did not return calls.

It is understood Austin, who was a junior with Rotherham United in the UK, believes he has a better chance to develop as a player away from the Mariners.

Ā 

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/austin-set-leave-mariners#:cIhikmlkGvA9EA

4 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

In terms of a second marquee,Ā The AustralianĀ understands City will unveil a big-name signing they have had under wraps for several months and one that came before Cahill was an Ā­option.

This excites me so fucking much

If love to see Cahill play here but under JVS it was probably going to be a disaster.

1. Injury risk (hard grounds, old legs)

2. Inverted wingers- the guy needs crosses

3. Too old to press consistently

4. How does he fit in with bruno

5. We need a #10 to replace Ā Mooy

Thatll do for starters.

13 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If love to see Cahill play here but under JVS it was probably going to be a disaster.

1. Injury risk (hard grounds, old legs)

2. Inverted wingers- the guy needs crosses

3. Too old to press consistently

4. How does he fit in with bruno

5. We need a #10 to replace Ā Mooy

Thatll do for starters.

Only one of these points refers to JVS and that's it will probably be a disaster.

1. Environmental factor

2. Overlapping players can cross the ball plus corners

3. Many distance athletes are early to mid 30's. Cahill is a much better athlete than Koren ever was

4. Fitting and gelling is bullshit the guy is good enough to play in behind Bruno. Bruno has needed the support all year tbh. Watch Bruno get mobbed and assaulted next season when isolated

5. No one can replace Mooy

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 0:33 AM, Murfy1 said:

David Gallopā€™s olive branch to Tim Cahill

Ā 

June 9, 2016

Ray Gatt

Ā 

Has David Gallop paved the way for Tim Cahillā€™s move to the A-League?

The Football Federation Australia chief executive went a long way to smoothing discontent between the two after confirming he had met with theĀ Socceroos star in Sydney last week.

Gallop released a statement yesterday admitting he regretted comments he made about Cahill earlier this year. Gallop had claimed Ā­Cahill knocked back A-League clubs because they could not meet his needs.

Cahill lashed out in response, saying the A-League had failed to attract big-name footballers and lacked the vision to capitalise on world class players such as Alessandro Del Piero, who had a stint with Sydney FC.

Cahill was also adamant heā€™d had no telephone contact with Gallop, as had been intimated by the FFA boss. Gallop conceded in his statement that his communication with Cahill at the time of his departure from Shanghai Shenhua was ā€œvia text messagesā€.

Gallopā€™s move is seen as pivotal in the restoration of the relationship between Cahill and FFA, and opening the door if he is to play in the A-League after his contract with Hangzhou Greentown in China expires next month.

As revealed exclusively inĀ The AustralianĀ on Tuesday, cashed-up Melbourne City are making a play to sign Cahill for next season and are prepared to offer between $2 million and $3m. It is understood the two parties have been in discussions for three months.

Cahill was due to speak about his future after the Socceroosā€™ 2-1 loss to Greece in Melbourne on Tuesday night, but flew back to China yesterday morning after again meeting with Gallop.

While he has said he would never close the door on playing in the national compĀ­etition, the Ā­issues regarding the 36-year-oldā€™s strained relationship with FFA were seen as a stumbling block.

That was at least removed on the weekend with Gallop extending the olive branch and declaring he would like nothing better than to see Cahill playing his club football in Australia.

ā€œTim and I had a chance to catch up last week in Sydney. Firstly, it was a chance for me to reiterate that it would be fantastic to have Tim playing in the A-League,ā€ Gallop said in the statement. ā€œOf course, that would require a club to take the lead in signing Tim, a process that FFA would support in any way we can.

ā€œWhatever decision he next takes, he told me the door is not closed to the A-League and wonā€™t be while ever he is still playing football. He did not intend to so strongly criticise the competition, but rather demonstrate his passion and ambition for Australian football. We see that every time he pulls on the Socceroos shirt.

ā€œIā€™d love to see him playing every week here. We are ready to explore the opportunity of him playing here, including looking at the off-the-field activities that Tim is so passionate about, including his academy program and other grassroots initiatives.

ā€œI obviously regret that my comments in February were taken as a criticism of him and the whole thing became the subject of so much commentary.

ā€œThe relevant issues around his decision to stay in China could have been more clearly explained by me. With his kids only just starting new schools in Shanghai, the option of playing at Hangzhou Greentown was the best next move for him.ā€

Ā 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/david-gallops-olive-branch-to-tim-cahill/news-story/eb38dc4e2522aa9e2bbf3d252d41e999

ONE: Not the way I'd like to start the day but, taking it upon myself to say my story today re clubs not agreeing to FFA request re Tim

0 retweets0 likes
Ā 
Retweet
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
More

TWO: Cahill is wrong. I have now been told they AGREED to the idea of extending the guest player rule to 12 months to accommodate

THREE: Signing Cahill as a guest player for 12 months. While I can honestly say no pressure has been put on me, I want to be man enough to

FOUR: story is incorrect. I am more than happy for these four tweets to be retweeted.

0 retweets0 likes
Ā 
Retweet
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
More
Love off season rumours go back and forth
0 retweets0 likes
Ā 
Retweet
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
More

Ā 

0 retweets0 likes
Ā 
Retweet
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
Ā 
More

Ā 

Its a pretty big retraction and one that certainly suggests Cahill is City bound.

Conceivable that something like this could be our line up.

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Sorensen

Franjic Ā  Ā  Malik Ā  Ā  Ā Chapman Ā  Ā  VISA LB

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Brattan

Ā  Ā  Ā Caceras Ā  VISA AM (Marquee)Ā  VISA Mid

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā CahillĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Fornaroli

Subs : Bouzanis Kamau Gameiro Clisby Fitzgerald Garrucio Melling Retre Kuzi

Ā 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Its a pretty big retraction and one that certainly suggests Cahill is City bound.

Conceivable that something like this could be our line up.

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Sorensen

Franjic Ā  Ā  Malik Ā  Ā  Ā Chapman Ā  Ā  VISA LB

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Brattan

Ā  Ā  Ā Caceras Ā  VISA AM (Marquee)Ā  VISA Mid

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā CahillĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Fornaroli

Subs : Bouzanis Kamau Gameiro Clisby Fitzgerald Garrucio Melling Retre Kuzi

Ā 

Tbh reading that back I think we're more likely to get a VISA CB than a LB and gamble on Clisby or Garrucio to do the job. I suspect thats probably the reason we went after Elrich fairly hard.

• jw1739 pinned this topic