Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I'm feeling confident CFG will unearth some other Bruno-esque quality foreign players for our list this season ... lessor or no-names, that will be considered stars by seasons end.  

I hope so, although less confident.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If CFG needs Cahill to market Melbourne City IMO it would be an admission by CFG that their strategy of "brand" has failed. I don't think they will sign anyone except for football reasons. I hope not anyway. I also hope that CFG stick to their guns on what they think an individual player is worth.

I think it would be quite refreshing to see them put their hand up and say they have failed in that aspect of their strategy. 

In the end though it doesn't affect me because I'm not the person they're targeting. 

14 minutes ago, rass said:

I think it would be quite refreshing to see them put their hand up and say they have failed in that aspect of their strategy. 

In the end though it doesn't affect me because I'm not the person they're targeting. 

How the hell could they have 'failed in that aspect of their strategy' after 2 seasons of ownership?

Jesus. Don't sign big name players and people whinge, sign big name players and people whinge. Can't win.

That being said, don't see the point in signing Cahill, so hope it's all bs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Embee said:

How the hell could they have 'failed in that aspect of their strategy' after 2 seasons of ownership?

Jesus. Don't sign big name players and people whinge, sign big name players and people whinge. Can't win.

That being said, don't see the point in signing Cahill, so hope it's all bs.

Sorry, probably a little misleading on my part. Not necessarily agreeing with what JW said, more a general comment about taking ownership if things go wrong. I guess that applies to everyone in life.

Anyway as said before, the marketing doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about the game itself and I'm not sure how that would go if we did sign him.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Sorry, probably a little misleading on my part. Not necessarily agreeing with what JW said, more a general comment about taking ownership if things go wrong. I guess that applies to everyone in life.

Anyway as said before, the marketing doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about the game itself and I'm not sure how that would go if we did sign him.

Fair enough, I just find it mind-boggling that it's even being suggested so early. Building a brand takes years and won't happen overnight, especially when you're dealing with a brand/product which has been woefully disappointing for years.

Agree entirely. I've always maintained that in most sports the greatest form of marketing is winning and being succesfull, bring in good players and staff, win trophies and watch the people jump on board. Big names don't hurt, but not at the expense of the team being appropriately built.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JC22 said:

'How would Bruno and Tim function in the same team?'

One scores 20 with his feet, the other scores 20 with his head.

Sign him, get around him and enjoy the ride for mine.

That's not the problem, having 2 avenues of attack makes us much harder to defend against. The problem is that both are wasted without quality service and using both marquee spots for Timmy and Bruno really means that we have to spend a huge part of the cap on a quality number 10 or compromise the effectiveness of both marquees with inferior service or inferior players elsewhere. The real reason we would sign Timmy as well as Bruno as marquee is an off field quid pro quo with FFA over concessions elsewhere

Signing Cahill wouldnt be that bad football wise IMO.

One of the issues I have had with the season just gone is that Bruno was isolated a few too many times up front with little players transitioning forward to support Bruno whenever he received possession.  

Mooy remember was largely effective due to his freedom to collect possession from very deep positions while Novillo always drifted wide. So Bruno sometimes became victim to our other top performers having to find space well and truly away from where Bruno was leading the line.

Losing Mooy will always hurt, but sometimes the best way to replace a player is to rejig the squad so the load is spread around, not squarely put on the shoulders of a replacement who obviously will never be as good directly.

Subsequently, signing Cahill would allow JVS (as hopeless as he might be) to play with a deep lying second striker.

That way the club can look for a midfielder with a similar passing range to Mooy without losing the goal threat.

I don't know why there is all this hype (hope) about Tim Cahill being a drawcard. I think he is a name only to people who already follow football but particularly to those who follow the Soccerroos, and these people would probably already be following a local team. I just can't see people coming to watch MCFC because Timmy is on the ground.

If you want a big name to attract crowds go and get a real big name.

Everyone in the media seems to want City to take on the burden of bringing Cahill to the a-league...how many of the media are City fans? 

Fact is that I can only see this being detrimental to the performance of the team. Knowing our luck, could be Josh Kennedy 2.0. The media know this!

If City are sensible they'll prioritise building a winning team, trying to find the next Bruno, over bringing in an over-aged player who certain won't be worth his wages in footballing terms. 

You build crowds by winning...have we not learnt our lesson from the Villa debacle??

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

I don't know why there is all this hype (hope) about Tim Cahill being a drawcard. I think he is a name only to people who already follow football but particularly to those who follow the Soccerroos, and these people would probably already be following a local team. I just can't see people coming to watch MCFC because Timmy is on the ground.

If you want a big name to attract crowds go and get a real big name.

Agreed. Nobody "outside" football has heard of Cahill. IMO most of the so-called "names" in sport are virtually unknown outside that particular sport. Not only sport - I'd say the same about any field of human endeavour.

"Who's that guy that plays sokkah... he plays for the sokkah-roooos. Always scores with his head?"

Do you mean Tim Cahill?

"Yeah that's him"

Oh yeah, he plays for Melbourne City now. Been doing well so far here

"hahaha so he's on his on his last legs is he? coming here to retrire. I bet he's on big bucks..."

so many of these people. 

• Like 1

We should be marketing our club, not relying on a player with past reputation. Last season we should have marketed City using Fornaroli and Mooy so that the talk now would not be about who we might sign but the impact the potential loss of Bruno and Aaron on City and the whole league. We had the two hottest properties in the league playing in City shirts and we did fuck-all with the opportunities that created.

• Like 4

Past, present or future reputation. The common denominator is reputation.

Marketing the club is what they're doing already with seemingly 'unknown' players kicking a ball in Melbourne's iconic lane-ways and landmarks all over the TV.

I'd welcome, arguably, the biggest household name in Australian football to be signed by our club

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Nobody outside of soccer fans have heard of Tim Cahill? Surely this is a pisstake? Aside from Ronaldo and Messi there is no bigger name in world football for the average Aussie. You mention the name Tim Cahill and everyone knows exactly who you're talking about. Tim Cahill is an Australian icon and everyone I know who knows nothing about soccer knows Tim Cahill! Will he improve our team? Probably not. Would he be a massive name and draw in fans like crazy? Yes. No question.

So whats more important for say 3mil per year?

4 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Never said I wanted us to sign him. Was merely pointing out that people saying he's not a big name is just ridiculous.

I'm not saying you did. Just a question weather increased exposure and bigger numbers warrants an unbalanced squad and little long term on field gain.

51 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So whats more important for say 3mil per year?

There is no question if you had 3m in the kick, the first thing is to pay out the current coach. You'd still have 2.25M left for marquees.

Regardless of players that is the only sensible move if you have the cash & anything else is just the club etc having a bit of pointless fun.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We should be marketing our club, not relying on a player with past reputation. Last season we should have marketed City using Fornaroli and Mooy so that the talk now would not be about who we might sign but the impact the potential loss of Bruno and Aaron on City and the whole league. We had the two hottest properties in the league playing in City shirts and we did fuck-all with the opportunities that created.

As much as I'd love to agree we cannot purely rely on current stars of the league like Mooy & Fornarolli to purely grow the clubs reputation, get bums on seats and bring in new fans. We seen what an impact the signing of Villa initially made on our memberships and attendances.

The marquee spots give the City the opportunity to fled a bit of their finical powers and bring in a big name player. I really want to see us bring in a big named reputable player but I also want them to be able to significantly improve our team. Tim no doubt ticks off the reputation box, I just don't know if Tim will be able to compliment Bruno.

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would like to agree but I can't. When Fornaroli was announced this forum asked who was he because it seems that no one had heard of him. It wasn't until half way through the season we had a confirmed bona fide star in our midst. And then there was that first presser with Fox where he answered in Spanish... I have no doubt that he has the personality for it and his later pressers were in Spanglish. This season however I expect the club to do more with him marketing wise.

Aaron Mooy is a different kettle of fish - he just doesn't feel comfortable in front of the cameras. A bit like Jedinak - just too wooden. But I do agree that the club should have done more with him marketing wise.

Wednesday, 8 June 2016 -

David Gallop

Tim and I had a chance to catch up last week in Sydney. Firstly, it was a chance for me to reiterate that it would be fantastic to have Tim playing in the Hyundai A-League. Of course, that would require a club to take the lead in signing Tim, a process that FFA would support in any way we can.

Whatever decision he next takes he told me the door is not closed to the Hyundai A-League and won't be while ever he is still playing football. He did not intend to so strongly criticise the competition, but rather demonstrate his passion and ambition for Australian football. We see that every time he pulls on the Socceroos shirt.

I'd love to see him playing every week here. We are ready to explore the opportunity of him playing in the A-League, including looking at the off the field activities that Tim is so passionate about including his academy program and other grassroots initiatives.

I obviously regret that my comments in February were taken as a criticism of him and the whole thing became the subject of so much commentary.

The relevant issues around his decision to stay in China could have been more clearly explained by me. With his kids only just starting new schools in Shanghai, the option of playing at Hangzhou Greentown was the best next move for him. Tim indicated this to senior FFA people and me personally in the hours after he parted company with Shanghai Shenhua. Our communication on that particular day was via text messaging.

Bottom line is Tim would be a massive addition to the A-League. I would love to see him playing here every week.

PR restoration work setting the ground work.

Prediction:
Cahill come to the A-League

FFA promote his academy

FFA use their new marque funds pool for him 

Why signing Tim Cahill would be great for the A-League... but not necessarily for Melbourne City

• 16 hours ago
  • by TOM SMITHIES
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph

GOODNESS only knows what Bruno Fornaroli thought when he saw the headlines about Melbourne City allegedly chasing Tim Cahill, but it’s doubtful the theme was unalloyed joy.

Not for financial reasons, even if Fornaroli is in the midst of a little bit of a stand-off with City over how much exactly he is worth on an ungraded deal.

But what makes it counter-intuitive that City would be set on a strategy of bringing Cahill to the A-League is the obvious footballing question of how a coach could put Fornaroli and Cahill into the same team, and not find them cancelling each other out.

Melbourne City already have a top goalscorer in the shape of Bruno Fornaroli.Melbourne City already have a top goalscorer in the shape of Bruno Fornaroli.Source: News Corp Australia

The Uruguayan is going nowhere – as a proven class act in the A-League, with a year to go on his contract, Fornaroli will sooner or later sign an improved contract to become one of City’s marquees.

The club do have gaps to fill, ideally with exciting, crowd-drawing players – Harry Novillo’s future is in doubt, and Aaron Mooy is certain to move on in the next few weeks – but City don’t need a marquee striker, no matter how unique a drawcard Cahill undoubtedly would be.

It could be argued – and Football Federation Australia is no doubt hoping – that commercial considerations could override this. Last season City’s crowd was an average of 11,000, despite scoring goals for fun, and this is the one club with the financial muscle to fund an offer almost any player would consider.

Yet everything about Melbourne City is in building for the future, not a short-term dash for popularity. The City Group as a whole are convinced that a vibrant, attacking style is the key at all of their clubs.

To say that the marquee investment at New York City hasn’t gone well would be an understatement, and that has ramifications for how the Melbourne arm of the family goes about its business.

Informed sources suggest the club will shortly appoint a young, progressive English assistant coach, with a view to his succeeding John van’t Schip, and helping to instill precisely that kind of football.

Whether this is the correct approach, only time will tell, and there will be howls of disappointment from those who believe City should be spending money to promote the league and themselves in tandem.

But City are already scouring the globe looking for players to have the same impact as Fornaroli, concerned more with filling their visa spots wisely than their Visa card.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/why-signing-tim-cahill-would-be-great-for-the-aleague-but-not-necessarily-for-melbourne-city/news-story/a490342c6f91a65f25c1c5be167911d4

• Like 1

With a rebuild of more than half the team and JvS coaching we're not going to win the league next season. If we couldn't win after smashing goal scoring records and Mooy and Bruno and Harry we won't win after losing Mooy and Harry.
So even if Cahill and Bruno cancel each other out - no big deal. It would be a boost to the club's profile and attendance.

• Like 1

Just now, Tesla said:

David Gallop firmly on Cahill's dick all of a sudden. 

Because he's finally back in the country, desperate to keep him here. If Timmy leaves the country unsigned with a club Gallop for sure will throw himself in front of the plane.  

• jw1739 pinned this topic