Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

44 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well if next season is going to end up being some kind of glorified youth league, looks like we might be alright 

I seem to recall a body of opinion on here that favoured just that? Push the bulk of the cap at a handlful of senior players and fill up the squad with youngsters? Rather than have 7-8 recycled journeymen in the team? IMO we gain plenty by using more young players and the league will be far more entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I seem to recall a body of opinion on here that favoured just that? Push the bulk of the cap at a handlful of senior players and fill up the squad with youngsters? Rather than have 7-8 recycled journeymen in the team? IMO we gain plenty by using more young players and the league will be far more entertaining.

Sort of, but yes. I wouldnt say so much of a glorified youth league as a league more in line with the rest of the world; big guns at the top and a focus on youth in the lower clubs to generate profits.

Imo thats a better product to sell, and maybe to watch too.

In the end, watching the next prospective socceroo get a crack is far better than filling gaps with a Jason Trefiro etc

Edited by bt50

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Sort of, but yes. I wouldnt say so much of a glorified youth league as a league more in line with the rest of the world; big guns at the top and a focus on youth in the lower clubs to generate profits.

Imo thats a better product to sell, and maybe to watch too.

In the end, watching the next prospective socceroo get a crack is far better than filling gaps with a Jason Trefiro etc

Indeed. We're always going to be a lesser, feeder league for bigger, wealthier leagues around the world. So just like the lower leagues in places like the UK, we're most likely to be a mix of talented, up and coming youngsters, journeymen who have found their level (often because they are inconsistent rather than necessarily untalented), a few imports of similar quality, and end of career players who've dropped down from higher levels (in our case often Aussies who have played abroad and are coming home to finish their career). There's a lot of satisfaction in watching those talented youngsters, spotting the real talent, and then watching them head off to build their careers in Europe and the national side. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I can’t find it anymore but somebody posted a picture of Martyn Waghorn from Derby County on a City related Social Media page.

30 year old left footed right winger, a regular in the Championship last year. Fotmob reckons he's worth the best part of $6m. He'd be a big fish in the A-League. 

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

30 year old left footed right winger, a regular in the Championship last year. Fotmob reckons he's worth the best part of $6m. He'd be a big fish in the A-League. 

Another Craig No one.

We did say we need to up our game going into the ACL.

Edited by Mr MO

No surprises when there is a minuscule cap.. Noone was serviceable but could do better but in this climate don’t think we will be able to. For Brilliante big big whole in the middle have Metcalfe, O’Neill, Gromulka to fill that whole. 

so we have 2 visa spots plus florin but would we be able to get visas who knows 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

No surprises when there is a minuscule cap.. Noone was serviceable but could do better but in this climate don’t think we will be able to. For Brilliante big big whole in the middle have Metcalfe, O’Neill, Gromulka to fill that whole. 

Well said, I think we'll be alright with who we have brought in. Metcalfe will fill Brillante's spot well.

11 minutes ago, haz said:

Well said, I think we'll be alright with who we have brought in. Metcalfe will fill Brillante's spot well.

Do you see Metcalf as defensive midfielder?

17 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

No shock at all, Brillante was on his out regardless of the Covid Cuts. He’s had the desire to play overseas for several years now. Noone is no loss.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Do you see Metcalf as defensive midfielder?

No shock at all, Brillante was on his out regardless of the Covid Cut. He’s had the desire to play overseas for several years now. Noone is no loss.

Rumor is Maclaren, Luna, Florin, Windbichler and Delbridge might be heading off too... 

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Rumor is Maclaren, Luna, Florin, Windbichler and Delbridge might be heading off too... 

Maclaren would be really strange, he’s marquee and out of the cap. With our resources the least we can expect is some decent money towards marquee players. The again this club....... 

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I thought both seasons at Perth he barely played, came back from injury and was injured again with 3 games.

No in 18/19 he was a star 20 games 9 goals and 5 assists 

1 minute ago, moops said:

I reckon the same will happen as with Pierias, will hardly play until the end of the season until they understand what they have. He was there and abouts here, I don't understand it.

Pierias at Western ??

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

No in 18/19 he was a star 20 games 9 goals and 5 assists 

Pierias at Western ??

Yeah, they played him as a striker for a few games and then he had no games, the final few games they actually played him as a right back and he shone. 

Other than Italiano, Max Burgess and Durante they didn't have much, He made a difference in the finals.

Edited by moops
expounded
  • Like 1

Put all

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes I was apart of that body.

12 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

The current state of uncertainty surrounding the A-League is going to lead to more rumours than we've ever seen before. IMO most players who are offered something somewhere are going to look at the offer very seriously. Staying in Australia might be fine for now, but if the league collapses, the club has no fixtures, and players aren't playing, even Melbourne City is not going to keep paying wages for ever - players, coaches, staff.

• jw1739 pinned this topic