Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The A-League's Salary Cap for 2019/20 was $3.2m, except for Western United who were allowed $3.6m. The Salary Floor was $2.88m (90% of the cap). It is the latter when combined with the minimum number of senior players that each club must have (20) that produces the problem.

Part of the discussion is lowering the minimum squad to 18 I read somewhere 

3 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

we need substantial expansion and promotion / relegation first IMO

for any market to work you need both supply and demand.

i just don't see how there are enough teams currently in the A League to create the required demand for significant transfer fees.

outside of the big two teams in Melbourne and the big two in Sydney, i just dont see how the other clubs are going to spend much (particularly on a regular basis).

plus there's no real reserve comp for clubs (largely due to cost), so i think clubs are in a pickle - I cant see clubs wanting 30+ players on their books if only 12-15 get regular game time (or for that fact I cant see players wanting to stay at a club long term if they are not playing).

once we get to a two tiered comp with 24 + teams, you will have the demand since teams will be pushing for success (even if that means not getting relegated) while there will be enough teams for a reserves comp where you could still keep costs down through making it regionally based / use hubs / etc.

Forget promotion/relegation. Relegation would simply mean the end of that A-League club. One division is barely sustainable, let alone two. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Forget promotion/relegation. Relegation would simply mean the end of that A-League club. One division is barely sustainable, let alone two. 

one of the major issues facing our game in the saturated Aussie market, and a big part of the reason our game needs to have restrictions on spending

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

one of the major issues facing our game in the saturated Aussie market, and a big part of the reason our game needs to have restrictions on spending

The A-League is in such a mess that it's not going to be fixed by tinkering with one particular rule. FFA needs to take a step back and take an overall approach. And it doesn't need a team of consultants and glossy publications to do it either.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The A-League is in such a mess that it's not going to be fixed by tinkering with one particular rule. FFA needs to take a step back and take an overall approach. And it doesn't need a team of consultants and glossy publications to do it either.

Geez @jw1739 I was going to cut you in on the action. You’ve just ruined my plan to fund my new Byron Bay lifestyle.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I see what you’re saying @NewConvert but the clubs would have to be in a financial crisis. Given football is a world game you have a liquid market for services, so if you want a player of a certain quality you’ll have to pay or they will pursue other options. 

The PFA might argue a salary floor guarantees quality. Hardly. The best guarantee of quality is the need for Ws.

I don’t know what the minimum wage is and whether it’s sensible, worth noting though that youth contract players can play in the A League.

I do know the league is in a pickle. To navigate it they’ll need to be innovative and flexible and are better guided by concepts and principles rather than hard and fast rules.

Ideas like structuring training to fit work better and having “near to retire” players on low football salaries but also with career bridging jobs organised by the club. Salary floor wouldn’t allow that, but at the moment probably be best for everyone.

I still stand by the fact that at some stage young players will need to make a call in terms of financial planning (at least the well balanced ones). The A-League was in a pickle before the virus now it is well and truly in a pickle.

Yes, creativity is required but the information trickling out indicates that the A-League are not actually trying to be creative.

7 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

i just don't see how there are enough teams currently in the A League to create the required demand for significant transfer fees.

outside of the big two teams in Melbourne and the big two in Sydney, i just dont see how the other clubs are going to spend much (particularly on a regular basis).

plus there's no real reserve comp for clubs (largely due to cost), so i think clubs are in a pickle - I cant see clubs wanting 30+ players on their books if only 12-15 get regular game time (or for that fact I cant see players wanting to stay at a club long term if they are not playing).

once we get to a two tiered comp with 24 + teams, you will have the demand since teams will be pushing for success (even if that means not getting relegated) while there will be enough teams for a reserves comp where you could still keep costs down through making it regionally based / use hubs / etc.

Your assumption and it is a big assumption is that the more clubs (1st & 2nd tier) the public and the sponsors will follow. Me thinks not. I stand by what I wrote a long time ago. What is the difference between the old NSL and the new model that people keep on dreaming about?

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

When I’m massively wealthy I can- it seems if you have enough money or status you are Covid immune (Byron is apparently full of these people; welcome to the new Australia)

It says in the Bible somewhere "Unto him that hath shall even more be given."

It's always been the same [hence the (initial) appeal of communism] - wealthy and privileged people telling poorer and less-privileged people what's good for them and what they have to do.

(While you're under house arrest give "Animal Farm " a re-read.)

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 10:09 AM, mattyh001 said:

21 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I still stand by the fact that at some stage young players will need to make a call in terms of financial planning (at least the well balanced ones). The A-League was in a pickle before the virus now it is well and truly in a pickle.

Yes, creativity is required but the information trickling out indicates that the A-League are not actually trying to be creative.

Your assumption and it is a big assumption is that the more clubs (1st & 2nd tier) the public and the sponsors will follow. Me thinks not. I stand by what I wrote a long time ago. What is the difference between the old NSL and the new model that people keep on dreaming about?

one of the problems with the current setup is that we only have 5 games a week.  Expand the league and you have more content from a broadcast perspective.  That enables more sponsors to be seen (and more often where they sponsor the league), which in itself puts more money into the game (on top of a bigger broadcast deal).

in terms of the fans, you are right in that it is a challenge to turn the public into supporters.  I see it like "field of dreams" tho - build it and (then) they will come.  you need teams there first before fans bases will grow.

23 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I'm afraid that I agree with this. I think that with the right people at the helm we might be able to drag things out to a 16-team competition, but the creativity and energy levels demonstrated so far by FFA - even the "new FFA" - don't inspire me to have much confidence that we can do even that. And the clubs themselves also need the right people running them - City being a perfect example of how a couple of decisions pissed off a substantial number of its supporters to the extent that much of the growth in attendances has been lost - 2019-20 home derbies (both effectively pre-virus) only half-filling AAMI Park.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My disappointment remains - that we didn't value him sufficiently to keep him in the first place.

True, but in a salary cap league we never know what the club would need to do to meet a player’s demands and thus whether the deal made sense or not.

I imagine the deal stopped looking so great to Atko when he saw the clip of the (then) new owner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

True, but in a salary cap league we never know what the club would need to do to meet a player’s demands and thus whether the deal made sense or not.

I imagine the deal stopped looking so great to Atko when he saw the clip of the (then) new owner.

Totally agree. I also think our 'valuation' of Natty pre COVID and post season are probably light years apart. He really kicked on in the back end of the season and even taking salary cap out of the equation, id suggest most clubs worldwide dont like paying more than they think a player is actually worth.

Money is one aspect obviously, but i'm sure the fact that his destination club has gone from being that to a total joke in the space of a few months doesnt warm his cockles either.

Edited by bt50

I doubt that anything can be considered to be "finalised" until the League decides what it wants to happen next season - whenever that is. And that itself is dependent on many factors. I can't see how we can have a national league whilst there are still border restrictions.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic