Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's been so long that I had to look up who those initials referred to!

While Genreau might be behind Luna and Berenguer at the moment, both of those are visa players and 28 and 31 respectively. If he was offered a deal to continue at City then I reckon it's a bold move to go (especially) to Macarthur, particularly in these uncertain times, when perhaps one more season of hard work could have seen him establish himself as a City regular.

LOL, I use initials because I don't know how to spell any of the players names..

I agree re the age difference but DG may see the lack of time next season as too much of a hindrance to his development.

On 07/07/2020 at 6:57 PM, CityBoyz said:

could just be till end of the season as his contract is up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

https://futaa.com/za/article/210084/burnley-miss-out-on-signing-dutch-international-bryan-linssen-while-aiden-o-neill-is-faced-with-an-exit

According to reports, Burnley may see another player leaving Turf Moor, one who has struggled to make the cut in Dyche's first team.

The Clarets had offered the Australian player Aiden O'Neill a new contract, but that may not happen following his three Premier League appearances for the team.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theaustralian.com.au/breaking-news/soccer-former-roar-coach-robbie-fowler-interested-in-birmingham-job/news-story/ade41ae813436c639f23167674b018d5

Compounding Fowler’s departure, the Roar have also lost the services of midfielder Aiden O’Neill, the Brisbane-born Olyroo who had been on loan the club from English Premier League club Burnley.

O’Neill has been offered a new deal by Burnley but is also reportedly being pursued by Melbourne City.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2020 at 12:41 PM, bellydrum said:

A few clubs have picked up some NPL players for the rest of the season.

With some cap space and a spare visa spot, I wonder if we'll do the same.

I don't think we've really raided the State leagues since our first season have we? In any case, with the current virus situation I'd say the club will stick with the current players, who they know to be virus-free, rather than introduce someone into the group and risk infections.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moops said:

Jackson Irvine is a fee, it would be a really good pick up, I reckon he would be expensive and probably wants to stay in Europe, but one can dream.

Jacko is a Melbourne lad, believe he played Juniors at same club as Curtis Good and good mates with Jamie Maclaren, both mums are Maltese and Dad's are Scottish I understand. So very likely he would come to us. As a Hull City supporter was disappointed that he didn't resignbut since we've been relegated to League One I can understand. Think he'll be picked up by a Championship side though so might have to wait a couple more years for him to be back here

On 29/07/2020 at 1:24 PM, Le Hack said:

Jacko is a Melbourne lad, believe he played Juniors at same club as Curtis Good and good mates with Jamie Maclaren, both mums are Maltese and Dad's are Scottish I understand. So very likely he would come to us. As a Hull City supporter was disappointed that he didn't resignbut since we've been relegated to League One I can understand. Think he'll be picked up by a Championship side though so might have to wait a couple more years for him to be back here

Cranbourne I think I heard, he got involved with the team 11 bid.

He would be awesome, but I think you're right that it's a bit soon for him to come home.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Castro and Perth has turned very ugly very quickly. 

Although I would be against taking a 36 year old usually, I think it's going to be hard to get visa players next season of quality with the way things are in the world. 

Should we possibly ask the question of a bloke who is already here, knows the league and takes the piss 90% of the time with his skills? 

19 minutes ago, neio said:

Looks like Castro and Perth has turned very ugly very quickly. 

Although I would be against taking a 36 year old usually, I think it's going to be hard to get visa players next season of quality with the way things are in the world. 

Should we possibly ask the question of a bloke who is already here, knows the league and takes the piss 90% of the time with his skills? 

Why go after Castro when we will get Messi one year younger in two years 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, neio said:

I will be absolutely livid if we are letting Atkinson go

Also because his wage is outside the cap as he’s a homegrown player so these concessions are vital in a smaller cap. Sydney do them well we need to start to use these concessions. Connor is also another one outside the cap. 

Edited by CityBoyz

Not just for us as a club, but it would make no sense for Atkinson to leave us. I think most people would agree he will eventually head overseas, why wouldnt he give himself more options by staying with CFG, and he also gets to play ACL next season. 

It's not like he doesn't play games for us, if I was advising him. City is the best place for him at the moment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neio said:

Not just for us as a club, but it would make no sense for Atkinson to leave us. I think most people would agree he will eventually head overseas, why wouldnt he give himself more options by staying with CFG, and he also gets to play ACL next season. 

It's not like he doesn't play games for us, if I was advising him. City is the best place for him at the moment 

The rumours might just be smoke to get City to make a better offer. I don't know what Atkinson would be on, but if I had to guess it would be an amount less than what he is worth based on his significant development this season.

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Atkinson should stay. However, he was mostly used as a bench player. His best bet is that there will not be many visa players due to salary cup changes. City is just horrible with keeping and managing young promising players.  

He wasn't used as bench player much. He played 23 games, started 15, the games he was a sub was early in season when he had the olyroos issue. In our last 14 matches, he started 13 the only one he didn't start was the first game back after Covid break. 

I would imagine he would be close to pencilled in to start every game he is fit for next season. He has to stay

Edited by neio

6 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

FB_IMG_1598947335133.thumb.jpg.15e1d19108c9b1c6a57d403f65140fd2.jpg

Confirmed via the Glorys twitter, Atkinson is gone - off to Perth. 

Fuck that's shit 

This makes me sick actually, without knowing the ins and outs - we really don’t seem to care about home grown bonuses and the advantages it brings. No transfer fee either. Shambles.

• Like 2

Just now, Mr MO said:

This makes me sick actually, without knowing the ins and outs - we really don’t seem to care about home grown bonuses and the advantages it brings. No transfer fee either. Shambles.

This is shit without even considering salary caps.

FFS. 

We should have just fucked Jamo off n given his salary to Atkinson to keep him...

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic