Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Nabbout and Leckie could easily play #9 in the A-League.

There's also every chance Rojas fucks off to sit on a bench in Europe again.

Good point.. but in terms of us would take Leckie over Berenguer in marquee. Would be instrumental at this level. Haven’t had a creative winger since Novillo

Edited by CityBoyz

15 hours ago, Nate said:

Even if he signs for Victory, I could never hate Leckie.

One of my favourite Socceroos

Remember seeing him run around for Bulleen and thinking - this bloke should probably be in the A-League and this is the only time I have successfully judge a player as being potentially 'good' 

23 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Good point.. but in terms of us would take Leckie over Berenguer in marquee. Would be instrumental at this level. Haven’t had a creative winger since Novillo

I'd love Leckie, but we'd need to make room for him if we were to bring him in, more so than the Tards.

Noone and Jamie are still on the books and as such will likely start in their current positions next season, I would also like to keep Susaeta (under the cap). If those moves eventuate our biggest need is a #10, and Leckie isn't one of those.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Embee said:

I'd love Leckie, but we'd need to make room for him if we were to bring him in, more so than the Tards.

Noone and Jamie are still on the books and as such will likely start in their current positions next season, I would also like to keep Susaeta (under the cap). If those moves eventuate our biggest need is a #10, and Leckie isn't one of those.

Agree, imo he's a pretty good player but he's not marquee worthy and i think he'd cost too much for what his worth.

Would love to get him, but don't think the benefit would outweigh the cost.

• Like 2

According to transfermarkt Leckie's contract with Hertha goes to 30th June 2021. He's played bugger all football for Hertha since last August. Can't see why we would bother with him considering the current uncertainties swirling around the game.

Edited by jw1739

the guy is 38 ...yea... Nah, too old. TBH even WU were implying one year then some sort of other role at the club. leave him for WU to manage through his last calf strain of his career. 

Milligans Southend United are relegated to League Two... maybe him?. Great replacement for Brilliante IMO. Offer him on Marquee wages and he might bite. At 34 he is not quite over the hill yet, nearly, but maybe he might want 1 + 1 with the CFG coaching combination idea.

CFG should keep marquees in the league because we can afford it and the bonus is he is Australian so no visa spot taken. 

anyway just an idea. 

22 minutes ago, citymad said:

from FTBL:

Kone and diamanté have gone back to Italy and are unlikely to return. 

Fox told the a -league we can only play on Tuesday’s Wednesday’s and Thursday nights because of the other footy codes 

So if true Diamante gonski........

Do you have the full article 

3 hours ago, citymad said:

from FTBL:

Kone and diamanté have gone back to Italy and are unlikely to return.

From the Age article above:

But Diamanti has stayed at his Melbourne base with his wife and three children and is keen to remain in Australia rather than head back to his homeland, which has been ravaged by coronavirus.

The vast majority of posters on FTBL have no idea.

Edited by bellydrum

27 minutes ago, haz said:

Just want to put this here for more visibility.

Ellie Carpenter has signed for Lyon. That is a HUGE move in women's football!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-18/ellie-carpenter-joins-french-club-olympique-lyonnais/12370384?sf235183004=1

She is obviously an outstanding sportswoman, the first time I saw her running down the wing I knew she had something special.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, citymad said:

With a change away from the summer months imminent for the A League does this expand the potential /type of player and age that will come to city? thoughts?

Injuries will be determining factor. In theory softer grounds should mean less injuries in which case the age bracket could creep up, players that may be deemed borderline would be more in contention. Also guest players may become available for 4 or 10 games.

Adam Le Fondre, Joel Chianese, Brad Inman, Nikolai Topor, Besart Berisha and Rostyn Griffiths have all been linked with Indian Super League moves recently. At least three of them are expected to make the move to India. [

Possibly some truth to this as Gruffiths has always chased the $. hard to replace his defensive 6/CB versatility. IMO he was one of our only hard players who can put a hit on the opposition. i know he gave away a few cards but at least the opposition felt it. 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

I think we'll regret letting Genreau walk

what has he actually done for the club? - he has had opportunity a plenty and no goals and one assist. He clearly wanted out so IMO he could not have been enticed to stay anyway.  Genreau should leave IMO because his heart is not in it. I am sure they offered genreau the loan scenario similar to Najjar, and if he was a true club man he would have taken it. IMO he has for too long been touted as the next big thing and never really delivered - he is 21? ATM he is a good player in theory. 

On 04/07/2020 at 7:13 AM, haz said:

I think we'll regret letting Genreau walk

On 04/07/2020 at 8:37 AM, citymad said:

what has he actually done for the club? - he has had opportunity a plenty and no goals and one assist. He clearly wanted out so IMO he could not have been enticed to stay anyway.  Genreau should leave IMO because his heart is not in it. I am sure they offered genreau the loan scenario similar to Najjar, and if he was a true club man he would have taken it. IMO he has for too long been touted as the next big thing and never really delivered - he is 21? ATM he is a good player in theory. 

19 hours ago, Dylan said:

Sad to see him go. But sometimes a kid needs a fresh start in a different environment.

Very hard to know what really goes on at the club. Genreau joins the list of young players who seem to have found favour in the stands but ultimately not with the club itself. (The attrition rate in Heart/City players is exceeded only by that of the members of this Forum). We can only hope that Mombaerts is making the right assessment in letting Genreau go - although in saying that perhaps he wanted him to stay but our offer was refused - we just don't know the details.

So far the club has had at its helm the nice man (Van 't Schip), the new man (Aloisi), the hard man (Joyce) and now the old experienced man (Mombaerts), and it has been the nice man (Van 't Schip) who has brought us our only trophy - in this strangest of seasons IMO the jury is still out on Momby.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So far the club has had at its helm the nice man (Van 't Schip), the new man (Aloisi), the hard man (Joyce) and now the old experienced man (Mombaerts), and it has been the nice man (Van 't Schip) who has brought us our only trophy - in this strangest of seasons IMO the jury is still out on Momby.

I get what you’re saying but I think it’s pretty clear that Mombaerts is our best coach yet. He’s taken over a team that had no discernible style or structure for two years and has implemented an exciting, attacking style of football that has us second on the ladder. All in pretty quick time. Season’s still going too...

He was unlucky to lose Berenguer for the first few months and Windbichler for most of the season. If those two play most games we’d be much closer to Sydney IMO. We lacked consistency in team selection and it definitely affected our results because our best XI took a while to materialise and really understand the system.

These sorts of fundamental changes (philosophy, style, culture) take time but it’s clear that we’re improving in all these areas. I think it’ll show next season, provided we keep the core group together and get our best players on the park. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Genreau showed much more for the first team than Metcalfe. He also had a good episode overseas. He doesn't have that much support on this forum.

Tbh i dont think either of those statements are even remotely true. 

Especially the first.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i dont think either of those statements are even remotely true. 

Especially the first.

Tbh, it is somewhat subjective. During the first half of the season the team was lacking creativtiy, which DG provided so whilst CM "showed more" for the first team DG provided more of what we were lacking especially considering the players that play in a somewhat simikar spot as CM (JB, RG) were performing quite well.

It just so happened that AL and FB really picked up in the latter part of the season that DG's creativity wasn't needed as much.

I think letting DG go is a mistake, but I guess it makes it hard to convince him to stay when he is behind AL and presumably FB for the creative/attacking mid role and game time will be limited.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, malloy said:

Tbh, it is somewhat subjective. During the first half of the season the team was lacking creativtiy, which DG provided so whilst CM "showed more" for the first team DG provided more of what we were lacking especially considering the players that play in a somewhat simikar spot as CM (JB, RG) were performing quite well.

It just so happened that AL and FB really picked up in the latter part of the season that DG's creativity wasn't needed as much.

I think letting DG go is a mistake, but I guess it makes it hard to convince him to stay when he is behind AL and presumably FB for the creative/attacking mid role and game time will be limited.

I personally don't think the club is letting him go so much as he is moving for more opportunity which is fair enough. I think we can all see something in him, but i dont think he has any runs on the board either per se so its not worth allocating too much of the cap towards him in this league to convince him to stay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malloy said:

It's been so long that I had to look up who those initials referred to!

While Genreau might be behind Luna and Berenguer at the moment, both of those are visa players and 28 and 31 respectively. If he was offered a deal to continue at City then I reckon it's a bold move to go (especially) to Macarthur, particularly in these uncertain times, when perhaps one more season of hard work could have seen him establish himself as a City regular.

• jw1739 pinned this topic