Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Annoying part is If he stayed his salary would be outside the cap as he’s a homegrown player. 

Imagine how much more money we could give to Berenguer like players if the club was actually aware of the below ruling and was smarter about the squad management. 4 seasons isn’t that long either.

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club's youth system; Loyalty Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount across any number of Players that have given 4 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club.

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Imagine how much more money we could give to Berenguer like players if the club was actually aware of the below ruling and was smarter about the squad management. 4 seasons isn’t that long either.

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club's youth system; Loyalty Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount across any number of Players that have given 4 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club.

You honestly think the club is unaware of this?

They are allover all the rules especially these "soft cap" allowances. 

It's very simplistic to look at 1 rumour and then make a statement like the above. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If this comes to fruition I shall be pretty pissed off with the club. 

maybe Genreau wants to leave?. I reckon the club would be doing everything thing they can to re sign him given his ability and the potential homegrown player cap savings. maybe he wants a new club in a new city, simple as that? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, citymad said:

maybe Genreau wants to leave?. I reckon the club would be doing everything thing they can to re sign him given his ability and the potential homegrown player cap savings. maybe he wants a new club in a new city, simple as that? 

This is the problem with the salary cap. You just can't retain all the players you want. And IMO this club desperately needs some player stability for it to be successful.

We don't know the details - and never will because City keep an impenetrable lid on internal club affairs.

But annoys me to think that a classy player like Denis could be lured away from the club when we've put up with Berenguer for two seasons and the latter has contributed fuck all.

Incidentally it's Petrillo who is responsible for "talent management." If Denis goes we'll probably sign some Adelaide youth player who'll be a flop. 

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, citymad said:

He hasn't played since he returned from Olyroos duty, perhaps he wants to play?

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is the problem with the salary cap. You just can't retain all the players you want. And IMO this club desperately needs some player stability for it to be successful.

We don't know the details - and never will because City keep an impenetrable lid on internal club affairs.

But annoys me to think that a classy player like Denis could be lured away from the club when we've put up with Berenguer for two seasons and the latter has contributed fuck all.

Incidentally it's Petrillo who is responsible for "talent management." If Denis goes we'll probably sign some Adelaide youth player who'll be a flop. 

Lachie Brook will be the next player to come to city

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

It's very simplistic to look at 1 rumour and then make a statement like the above. 

Geez Lol, how's your Sunday going? This was a sarcastic comment.

But you are correct our squad management has been spot on the last couple years.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

He hasn't played since he returned from Olyroos duty, perhaps he wants to play?

If the rumours are true, Mombaerts and Paddy don't like him. I remember a Talking City interview with him, he didn't give himself a big chance of playing at the start of the seasion either but then Berenguer fell injured.

Edited by Mr MO

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Cough another Lachie Wales will be signed 

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

They should be so why do we have so much turnover. Why can Sydney do it and not us. They have about 500k extra because of loyalty players and homegrown. Yet we let our homegrown players walk out the door because of a lack of game time cause we give players like Wales, Berenguer game time and not Genreau. How he Wasn’t even subbed on vs nix is mind boggling. 

Edited by CityBoyz

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Well let’s see if Atkinson is re-signed another homegrown player who was rumoured a couple of months back to MacArthur. 

I heard ages ago when Mombaerts first came in, he told players that didn’t want to play for the club to leave, and Genreau wanted out. Erick wanted to build a squad that played for the club.

Mustve been a bit of a kick in the gut to the club who have given Genreau every opportunity since he was a teen. If Denis doesn’t want to play for this club, let him go I say. 

Out of all the youth, I’d be more devo at losing Atkinson and Metcalfe.

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

I heard ages ago when Mombaerts first came in, he told players that didn’t want to play for the club to leave, and Genreau wanted out. Erick wanted to build a squad that played for the club.

Mustve been a bit of a kick in the gut to the club who have given Genreau every opportunity since he was a teen. If Denis doesn’t want to play for this club, let him go I say. 

Out of all the youth, I’d be more devo at losing Atkinson and Metcalfe.

This is of course the alternative explanation. Denis has indicated that he wants to leave, and therefore Mombaerts has decided not to play him.

Edited by jw1739

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

They should be so why do we have so much turnover. Why can Sydney do it and not us. They have about 500k extra because of loyalty players and homegrown. Yet we let our homegrown players walk out the door 

My point exactly, but we have it all under control I hear!

To be honest does it really matter, judging by our marquee standards, I doubt that we are we willing to spend much extra anyway. 

Is it 500k only, the way I read it - it’s unlimited spending on homegrown and loyal players.

42 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

My point exactly, but we have it all under control I hear!

To be honest does it really matter, judging by our marquee standards, I doubt that we are we willing to spend much extra anyway. 

Is it 500k only, the way I read it - it’s unlimited spending on homegrown and loyal players.

Nah it’s unlimited on homegrown but because of the soft cap exemptions ie loyalty and homegrown Sydney had an extra 500-700k to spend in the cap because a lot of their players sat outside it 

What are your thoughts on the rumoured cap exemption of all visa players? Will we spend more on foreigners?

I’m hesitant as we have an internal cap on our marquees already so are we going all out suddenly on them for those 5 spots?

Edited by Mr MO

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What are your thoughts on the rumoured cap exemption of all visa players? Will we spend more on foreigners?

I’m a hesitant as we have an internal cap our marquees already so are we going all out suddenly on them for those 5 spots?

I think it will mean we will get loaned players which are already in the CFG system. The salary cap is the whole reason they can’t loan us players from the other clubs 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I’m hesitant as we have an internal cap on our marquees already so are we going all out suddenly on them for those 5 spots?

I think we would. It’s the simplest way to become more competitive and I’m sure our Club spends more on foreign players than most of the other clubs. They may not always be the right players, but that’s a separate argument. 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think it's more important to have inter-club transfer fees that way investments are rewarded.

• Like 1

There's no magic bullet for the A-League. IMO professional football in Australia needs a complete re-structure. It must be hellishly frustrating for a player like Genreau to train every day, be at the peak of physical condition, know that he's a good footballer but be lucky to get a few minutes per season in the first team. I can't blame him for going to a club where he has a better chance of doing what he's good at. There's little point in being good at something if you can't demonstrate it to others.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that we need both, but Transfer fees won't prevent someone like Genreau changing clubs at the end of a contract.

Then the teams need to be smarter with the way they manage their players.

Or maybe have a compensation system for clubs who develop youth.

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO professional football in Australia needs a complete re-structure.

Couldn't agree more.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I don't think that it'll make any difference to us unless we can get loan players from within the CFG group for minimal cost. We've been told that we need to be profitable so there won't be huge largesse from CFG to spend on good players

I'm all for any kind of revamp at this point, and all the better if it brings us closer to abolishing the salary cap for good.

THEN we can finally fully embrace our 'cashed up' tag and pump half of the starting team full of unmotivated, holiday-seeking ex-superstars and become the Guangzhou Evergrande of the A-League and build a dynasty where we blitz the league every season and our crowds will inevitably soar up to a 9.5k per game average

Bada-bing, bada-boom make it happen CFG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's no magic bullet for the A-League. IMO professional football in Australia needs a complete re-structure. It must be hellishly frustrating for a player like Genreau to train every day, be at the peak of physical condition, know that he's a good footballer but be lucky to get a few minutes per season in the first team. I can't blame him for going to a club where he has a better chance of doing what he's good at. There's little point in being good at something if you can't demonstrate it to others.

This is true of any team sport anywhere in the world. If for some reason the coach/manager does not believe in the player then the player moves on unless of course the manager is moved on first. And let's face it, Fornarolli moved on because Joyce did not believe in him and Bruno was a proven talented player for this league (as well as Kilkenny, etc and Montemurro).

TBH I don't think that much will come out of leaving the visa players outside the cap. "The Age" has been reporting that the combined losses for the clubs since the inception of the A-League has been around $350M. So why spend more when all that will do is increase your losses? And not all expensive players have proven to be successful.

Oh, and there is the Asian Confederation that at least one visa player must be part of the AC. This really means 4+1 if they stick to five visa players.

Actually the current situation is worse.

Fitting 3 visas in the cap inevitably result in visa player 4 or 5 being bang average.

Having 4 or 5 players of higher quality will reduce the journeyman, add younger youth players also exempt from the cap will leave more cash in the cap for quality Socceroo types. 

The salary cap was designed to keep the league equal and give everyone an equal chance, but in reality it has created an environment were mediocre players are protected youth players have limited opportunities and foreign players are basically no improvement on whats available locally. 

There will always be stronger richer clubs regardless of the system. The time has come to remove some of the restrictions and give the league a chance to develop. 

Having a team 5 or so wins ahead after 20 games is not really even, and credit to them they deserve where they are.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Actually the current situation is worse.

Fitting 3 visas in the cap inevitably result in visa player 4 or 5 being bang average.

Having 4 or 5 players of higher quality will reduce the journeyman, add younger youth players also exempt from the cap will leave more cash in the cap for quality Socceroo types. 

The salary cap was designed to keep the league equal and give everyone an equal chance, but in reality it has created an environment were mediocre players are protected youth players have limited opportunities and foreign players are basically no improvement on whats available locally. 

There will always be stronger richer clubs regardless of the system. The time has come to remove some of the restrictions and give the league a chance to develop. 

Having a team 5 or so wins ahead after 20 games is not really even, and credit to them they deserve where they are.

I don't think the salary cap is the cause of the journey men. I think that is due to the salary floor and minimum salary. 

With all the talk of adding even more various exemptions it raises the question of why evrn bother with a cap. Imo just phase it out over a couple of seasons.

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic