Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's beginning to annoy me once again that after 12-13 matches we are even thinking about changing the squad. We should be getting this right at the beginning of the season.

Bloody oath.

Cabrera was starting to find his feet after what just 9 games and he leaves and we start again?

i wouldn’t mind so much except it’s the 74th time we’ve done this and results have typically been poor.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The only issue I see with this potential player movement is that we aren’t replacing the weakest players.

...but you can only replace like for like yeah. Our weakest player might be Jamo at LB - so you can't use that logic if we're getting in a RW/CAM. i.e. Rojas won't be taking Jamo's spot in the team will he...

You can only compare against what you're replacing and if Rojas is better than Cabrera at the same position, then it's an upgrade.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rass said:

...but you can only replace like for like yeah. Our weakest player might be Jamo at LB - so you can't use that logic if we're getting in a RW/CAM. i.e. Rojas won't be taking Jamo's spot in the team will he...

You can only compare against what you're replacing and if Rojas is better than Cabrera at the same position, then it's an upgrade.

Of course it’s an upgrade.

My point is we aren’t addressing the weakest points in the squad.

Nobody forcing a like for like replacement. We don’t know if we forced Cabrera out to make way.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Of course it’s an upgrade.

My point is we aren’t addressing the weakest points in the squad.

Nobody forcing a like for like replacement. We don’t know if we forced Cabrera out to make way.

...but, how do you know we aren't addressing the weakest point separately?

I see this as us taking advantage of an opportunity that arose - whether that came from Cabrera wanting to go or Rojas wanting to play HAL - who cares, at least we're acting on an opportunity to improve the squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rass said:

...but, how do you know we aren't addressing the weakest point separately?

I see this as us taking advantage of an opportunity that arose - whether that came from Cabrera wanting to go or Rojas wanting to play HAL - who cares, at least we're acting on an opportunity to improve the squad.

Let’s see!

Agree on the second paragraph.

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Does anybody know if this is correct?

I assume they can be changed during the season but it might only be allowed during the transfer windows for example. And it probably wouldn’t be automatically the highest paid, the clubs would just need to specify who the Designated Players (marquees) are and then those two salaries would be excluded from the Cap.

But if Florin’s deal is back ended, there’s probably no way to fit him under the Cap this season, so he remains a DP. Also, we will probably fit Rojas into the space Cabrera leaves (assuming we are at the maximum) and then next season we pay him what he demands/what we can afford. 

https://footballnationradio.com/2020/01/10/melbourne-city-travel-to-brisbane-without-key-defenders/

While Mombaerts was tight lipped about the Rojas link, he says replacing Cabrera with another international in the January window could be an option.

“I can’t answer too much about this, this kind of question you can ask to [CEO] Michael Petrillo, it is one option to substitute Javier because we want to find a similar player, but it is one option…we also have other options,” he said.

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

https://footballnationradio.com/2020/01/10/melbourne-city-travel-to-brisbane-without-key-defenders/

While Mombaerts was tight lipped about the Rojas link, he says replacing Cabrera with another international in the January window could be an option.

“I can’t answer too much about this, this kind of question you can ask to [CEO] Michael Petrillo, it is one option to substitute Javier because we want to find a similar player, but it is one option…we also have other options,” he said.

I guess congratulations are in order for Michael Petrillo on his promotion to CEO :hoff:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

When are we going to finally admit that Windbelcher has been a bad signing? The blokes just taken over the germano treatment centre since he's been here. How many games injured has he missed now?

But he played in Japan and scored against Victory I keep hearing.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

* Korea and he was in KLeague team of the season but is very injury prone it seems here 

2.5 years ago. Couldn’t get a contract last year in the lower tier Scandinavian league (questionable already) and played only 7 games over 2 years, was never going to be a walk in the park.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nate said:

omfg, would take Novillo back in a heartbeat

we do, I’m cancelling my membership the next day.

Sky blue, Aloisi, Koren, Joyce, making Burenguer the marquee, all this I’ll put up with, but not saying that a bloke beating up his missus is an irrelevant hobby he has. 
let him get his shit together and play elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Nate said:
Edited by Shahanga

If Galloway is out for a period of time, we may need to look into bringing a replacement defender in. As with Windbichler always being injured we only have 4 senior ones available

If we can, it would be good to find someone who can play across a couple of positions in back 4 and is comfortable doing so. Sort of like what Manny Muscat used to do

• jw1739 pinned this topic