Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Cabrera is a big loss if he does go imo. Unless we have a genuinely good replacement lined up it would be a pretty terrible move. He’s started to look good the last few weeks, and frankly if he isn’t replaced with some genuine quality our wings look very weak all of a sudden. Wouldn’t be unhappy with Rojas as he’s clearly very good at this level. Would be a lot more hesitant on Rogic. Most overrated Socceroo there is imo. Plays in a farm league where his club takes the piss and has always looked awful for Australia and was nothing special when he was here with Victory a few years back.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

"He would, of course, complement Victory, but Marco Kurz has already signed five foreigners to his squad so he would need to release one of them before he could contemplate a move for Rojas." <-- I thought Kiwis don't count as Visa players and same goes for Aussie players at Wellington...will Rojas take up a Visa spot?

1 minute ago, Red or Dead said:

"He would, of course, complement Victory, but Marco Kurz has already signed five foreigners to his squad so he would need to release one of them before he could contemplate a move for Rojas." <-- I thought Kiwis don't count as Visa players and same goes for Aussie players at Wellington...will Rojas take up a Visa spot?

Kiwis are visas to aust clubs, but the reverse isnt true for wellington

• Like 2

C'mon JW!

Speculation, misinformation, innuendo, chinese whispers, outright lies, sweeping generalisations, espoused wise opinions and an occasional big news break are at the heart of this of this Fan Forum. 

Dont let the truth get in the way of a Hot Thread. 

Edited by citymad
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

So here's a theory. Rojas idea has been about for weeks, but club needed to clear a visa slot. Initially, they looked at Florin, but then Javier put his hand up and said he'd like to go, and Florin gets a game whilst Javier has a convenient hammy. 

Florian on a marquee deal is still madness.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If western United are in I’m afraid they might win out. They have extra visa spot and extra cap space being a new club and all

Counterpoint, players and assitant coaches are leaving because they don't want to work under Rudan - doesn't inspire confidence for a potential signing 

“Socceroos winger Daniel Arzani has rejected the chance to return to Melbourne City, as he focuses on reclaiming his spot in Celtic’s first-team squad.

Former Melbourne Victory star Marco Rojas looms as a more realistic replacement for Cabrera, with the Kiwi open to an A-League return after a stint in Denmark.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/socceroo-daniel-arzani-faces-tough-battle-to-regain-celtic-spot/news-story/cfdc277c6b3c7c0cc8add6fa866da5d0

11 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

For all our scouting abilities, we really have very few ideas. 

I don't mind asking the question, obviously doesn't take up a visa spot and I doubt there would be a city supporter who wouldn't take him back in a heartbeat 

For his career though he shouldn't come back

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's beginning to annoy me once again that after 12-13 matches we are even thinking about changing the squad. We should be getting this right at the beginning of the season.

I have mixed feelings. 

On one hand 100% agree about building a squad and making it work.

But also if its clear (to the coach) that a change needs to be made and can be made then we should. 

My concern and this is based purely on previous CFG moves, they move players out but don't replace. 

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I have mixed feelings. 

On one hand 100% agree about building a squad and making it work.

But also if its clear (to the coach) that a change needs to be made and can be made then we should. 

My concern and this is based purely on previous CFG moves, they move players out but don't replace. 

If they get Rojas I would applaud the club being proactive as Rojas is a clear upgrade on Cabrera 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's beginning to annoy me once again that after 12-13 matches we are even thinking about changing the squad. We should be getting this right at the beginning of the season.

I know its easy to get down on us, for good reason, but pivoting quickly and adjusting the squad to pick up a clearly superior player when he becomes available is a positive move IMO.

Cabrera has been acceptable enough, but Rojas is a much better player who's a proven star in this league...if that's the signing we make.

Mind you, this also could've been initiated by Cabrera if he's failing to settle in Aus.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Embee said:

I know its easy to get down on us, for good reason, but pivoting quickly and adjusting the squad to pick up a clearly superior player when he becomes available is a positive move IMO.

Cabrera has been acceptable enough, but Rojas is a much better player who's a proven star in this league...if that's the signing we make.

Mind you, this also could've been initiated by Cabrera if he's failing to settle in Aus.

Rojas signing would be a statement from intent from the club showing ambition. Complete upgrade on Cabrera. 

Berenguer, Luna, Noone, JMAC, Rojas 😍.
What a formidable front line that would be. 

9 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

I'm not sure that Arzani had a spot in the first team , which he can reclaim. A short confidence buster with us would be great. 

He didn't and is unlikely to figure much if at all for the first team this season. Even though Sinclair is leaving he has Forrest, Johnston, Elyounoussi ahead of him. Also Marian Shved the young Ukranian winger who we bought for £1.3m may also be ahead of him. Also, add to this the fact we are in a proper title challenge this year means there will be little room for taking a gamble on a young unproven winger.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Yeah, another ex-Victory player, real ambitious there! All players lose their shine after becoming Victards. Lucky for Marco, he hasn't gone full retard.

Why wouldn't you go for someone who has already proven themselves twice in this league and is still only in his 20s?

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic