Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 minute ago, neio said:

I'm a little sad to see Cabrera  going, our of 5 visa players he was the one I'd keep first on what they had shown 

For hin to be going through we must have someone lined up ready to go

All signs point to Rojas tbh, but its one of those ones that given the window hasnt opened yet we'll be fine to sign another visa winger even if Rojas fell through.
Good move by the club imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

All signs point to Rojas tbh, but its one of those ones that given the window hasnt opened yet we'll be fine to sign another visa winger even if Rojas fell through.

I would be excited by a Rojas addition to our line up. I am curious though - other than the ferver on this forum thread what do you mean by " All signs point to Rojas tbh," 

I am hoping you know something more concrete than the rest of us!! :)

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I agree it looks good on paper, but Rojas is better than all our visa players 

If you gave me a choice I'd prefer to see Berenguer or Luna leaving for Rojas and keeping cabrera

Just now, citymad said:

I would be excited by a Rojas addition to our line up. I am curious though - other than the ferver on this forum thread what do you mean by " All signs point to Rojas tbh," 

I am hoping you know something more concrete than the rest of us!! :)

Well the journalist in NZ said Rojas has offers from Aleague clubs 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Don’t you think he was the best performer out of Luna and Berenguer?

Yes, but don't think you can compare Berenguer based on the fact he has been injured and hence unavailable.

I do believe given the position they play, he has been more dangerous than Luna, but i'd honestly get rid of both of them (Luna and Cabrera) and start again.

Just now, rass said:

Yes, but don't think you can compare Berenguer based on the fact he has been injured and hence unavailable.

I do believe given the position they play, he has been more dangerous than Luna, but i'd honestly get rid of both of them (Luna and Cabrera) and start again.

Luna is starting to look good. Keep persisting for at least the rest of the season because it might all come together. His numbers are 4 goals and 1 assist in 11 matches, so that’s quite good for a midfielder. Maybe Cabrera leaving unsettles Luna though, given they’re probably mates. 

8 minutes ago, neio said:

If you gave me a choice I'd prefer to see Berenguer or Luna leaving for Rojas and keeping cabrera

This.

However Rojas can play on the wing and Luna has no legs for winger position.

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I’ve seen enough of Berenguer to make my opinion up, his availability alone is an issue for the second highest paid squad player. But agree on getting rid of all of them!

Edited by Mr MO

IMO Luna is OK. As pointed out, his stats are adequate, and he hasn't had all that much game time. Berenguer has skills, but he is very pedestrian in his approach to the game, and he goes to water when in sight of goal.

I'll swim against the tide and say keep Luna.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Luna is OK. As pointed out, his stats are adequate, and he hasn't had all that much game time. Berenguer has skills, but he is very pedestrian in his approach to the game, and he goes to water when in sight of goal.

I'll swim against the tide and say keep Luna.

IF (and a massive IF) we are looking at Rogic and he's a live possibility, then given how we currently setup, i'd imagine he's a better replacement for Berenguer, given they would both line-up on the left hand side of an attacking midfield. Of course, they can get rid of Luna and switch Berenguer to the right. Either way, we will be spoilt in the midfield if he does come.

1 minute ago, rass said:

IF (and a massive IF) we are looking at Rogic and he's a live possibility, then given how we currently setup, i'd imagine he's a better replacement for Berenguer, given they would both line-up on the left hand side of an attacking midfield. Of course, they can get rid of Luna and switch Berenguer to the right. Either way, we will be spoilt in the midfield if he does come.

I like Rogic, he’s class, but I’m not sure how he’d go in our system. We don’t really play with Rogic types. They have to be able to work hard and track back. It requires a lot of running. Rogic would be very good when we go forward but I would worry about the ability of our midfield in defensive transition if it was him and Luna/Berenguer as the two CMs. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I like Rogic, he’s class, but I’m not sure how he’d go in our system. We don’t really play with Rogic types. They have to be able to work hard and track back. It requires a lot of running. Rogic would be very good when we go forward but I would worry about the ability of our midfield in defensive transition if it was him and Luna/Berenguer as the two CMs. 

Yep totally agree, hence the big IF... From a purely attacking sense though, it does sound exciting, especially given how we are always demanding of a creative midfielder/CAM on here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Where’s this rumour coming from Why would Rogic want to come back to the Aleague right now. 

Someone earlier on stated he is currently in Melbourne along with Rojas.

It's not a rumour as such, I am just speculating how exciting it could be IF he was here and did end up playing for us.

I do believe there is a bit more substance to the Rojas talk however.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

So he wasn’t injured after all, just went back for Christmas with the family and worked on the new deal. Now we let him go because he can’t settle or we’ve sold.

He was at the game last Friday night. Saw him leaving the stadium (and get in his Nissan) with his wife and little girl at half time.

Was dressed very casual, shorts & t-shirt, which made me wonder then, 1. why is he leaving at half time and 2. why is he not wearing City clothes...now we know!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

He was at the game last Friday night. Saw him leaving the stadium (and get in his Nissan) with his wife and little girl at half time.

Was dressed very casual, shorts & t-shirt, which made me wonder then, 1. why is he leaving at half time and 2. why is he not wearing City clothes...now we know!

Well it was 3-0 at half time so he thought the job was done!

17 minutes ago, rass said:

Someone earlier on stated he is currently in Melbourne along with Rojas.

It's not a rumour as such, I am just speculating how exciting it could be IF he was here and did end up playing for us.

I do believe there is a bit more substance to the Rojas talk however.

There’s more substance to the Rojas one I agree. He’s currently in Melbourne so hopefully club gets the deal done unlike the Troisi one where it fell apart at the end. 

31 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He's also very injury prone.

That's why we'll sign him

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

There’s more substance to the Rojas one I agree. He’s currently in Melbourne so hopefully club gets the deal done unlike the Troisi one where it fell apart at the end. 

There’s a rumour that Troisi has had an offer from an Asian club but also a few offers from Australian clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

How was Cabrera able to cancel his contract? That was an option? Unusual even for City and he was playing well. If it's on purpose then it should better be to sign a bigger name. It will take some time to integrate a new player. 

They either paid a fee or we mutually terminated. He probably went for a small fee. Either way, the remainder of his salary won’t go into our cap. 

Edited by Harrison

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

They either paid a fee or we mutually terminated. He probably went for a small fee. Either way, the remainder of his salary won’t go into our cap. 

I’ve heard from the sales fee we will hire a shooting coach for Wales.

Credit to the City supporter FB page.

E54EB7DE-5DB3-477C-802D-33909AF8AA2D.jpeg

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Most likely they did. IMO he wasn't that good that people should by crying over his departure. Not hard to replace him for free. CFG is a business remember.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm not upset if any of our visa players are moved on. Not one of them is irreplaceable. 

Despite my "like" I do hope that in the future we'll get our pre-season signings right  and that we won't have these mid-season reshuffles in the squad.

Whilst I agree that all out visa players are replaceable this season and if it is Rojas who comes, that he is a better player than Cabrera. I would have preferred to see Rojas working in a team/squad with Cabrera. Javi showed some good signs in last month I thought and I liked how he got the ball and majority of time went forwards to create something 

Interesting to see if we ever find out if we pushed Cabrera or if he legit wanted to go back to South America as he didn't like it here or didn't settle etc

But either way he probably holds the title of best goal by a player who only scored 1 goal in club history

Fuuuck, this is big news.

Cabrera his been more integral to us over the past month or two than people are giving credit - his crossing and link-up play in particular has been really good for this level.

Hopefully the reinforcements come but I'm equally ready to be disappointed given the spuds we've signed in the past. Rogic or Rojas would be great though but I'd be surprised.

• Like 5

And the circus continues.

How can we have a settled team and build some sort of long-term  success when we can't hold on to good players for a couple of seasons.

Season after season we just can't hold onto some decent players, visas and not, to get a successful core of players to build a team around.

This team is run by a bunch of idiots.

They better get an equal or better replacement and get a decent midfielder that can create central opportunities or we are done for the season. 

This club is a joke.

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

And the circus continues.

How can we have a settled team and build some sort of long-term  success when we can't hold on to good players for a couple of seasons.

Season after season we just can't hold onto some decent players, visas and not, to get a successful core of players to build a team around.

This team is run by a bunch of idiots.

They better get an equal or better replacement and get a decent midfielder that can create central opportunities or we are done for the season. 

This club is a joke.

Wow, surprise surprise. I wonder why players leave. Not all a bunch of idiots but only a few that weren’t part of the clean out.

• jw1739 pinned this topic