Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

What about signing a tall centre forward, say Anchebe, and running two forwards up front. It would mean a change in formation, say to a 4 1 3 2 but would help out JMac when he's crowded by the CBs, and I could see Cabrera and Noone finding it easier to find his head with a cross.

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Berenguer isn’t getting any minutes. Something has clearly changed since pre-season so the rumour might be true. We’ve gone big in January in the past so maybe they will pull the trigger. 

Which big player did we attract in January? Novillo and Harrison were relatively unknown but turned out alright.

22 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Just because I like looking at this stuff.... does anyone know anything about those two French players underneath Ben Arfa at the top of the list? The older one has good pedigree having played at Milan...

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Just because I like looking at this stuff.... does anyone know anything about those two French players underneath Ben Arfa at the top of the list? The older one has good pedigree having played at Milan...

Gourcuff is quality but never realised his potential. He was regarded as a freak when he was younger, people thought he could be the best in the world. I think he’s playing tennis now, doesn’t want to play football anymore I don’t think.

Croizet I’ve never heard of but his numbers indicate a decent player, particularly at this level. Could be a handy signing if he wanted to come down here. 

• Like 2

Our league is dead end for player's career path. It can be only offset by money which A-league doesn't have.  CFG won't even match top spenders. 

It's not about individuals as many former players became champions with other clubs.  City problem is professional organisation. Forget about La Trobe state of the art facilities. 

This won't be changed in January transfer window. Move JMac, Noone and Berenguer to other club and they would be formidable goal scoring trio.

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Which big player did we attract in January? Novillo and Harrison were relatively unknown but turned out alright.

11 hours ago, Harrison said:

I was thinking Maclaren. 

IIRC Koren was dropped mid season and was never replaced (even though he was marquee and thereby no "salary restrictions"). 

Fingers crossed the club does replace him with someone (should of course the rumours be true) and the fact Novillo and Harrison have shown some sort of form gives hope. 

Just don't hold your breath 

Edited by mattyh001

4 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Righto, so the only decent visa signing this season has fucked off in Jan. This club is shambolic.

We have Berenguer! In all seriousness, surely we aren’t letting players go without adequate replacements 

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I must’ve missed this whole thing. Had no idea he was considering leaving. 

Apparently Rogic is in Melbourne too. Maybe we’re after Rogic or Rojas. 

I would find Rogic truly marquee worthy.

https://m.unosantafe.com.ar/union/javier-cabrera-es-el-primer-refuerzo-union-n2554990.html

Edited by Mr MO

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I agree 100% on Rogic. Whilst I believe he tries too much at international level and can be predictable, I also believe he would absolutely tear the HAL a new one.

If it were true, I'd hope that Luna could go as well... Therefore a double signing of Rogic and Rojas would be a significant improvement - especially in the attacking sense.

Only speculation so far, but would be very nice...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Cabrera has apparently signed for Union de Santa Fe in Argentina. 

Looks like it! English translation from:

https://www.unosantafe.com.ar/union/javier-cabrera-es-el-primer-refuerzo-union-n2554990.html

Javier Cabrera is the first Union reinforcement

Leonardo Madelón confirmed the arrival of the Uruguayan striker who comes from playing at Melbourne City in Australia

Javier Cabrera is the first Union reinforcement

09:43 AM - Monday, January 6, 2020

Maximiliano Cuadra's departure forced Leonardo Madelón to find him a replacement outside. A tip that plays for Lucas Gamba-style bands and for that reason the DT noted the name of the 27-year-old Uruguayan Javier Cabrera who is currently in Melbourne City in Australia.

The rojiblanca leadership began to initiate steps for the charrúa point and in the last hours the operation was completed. This was confirmed by Madelón on Monday when he spoke with the press.

Cabrera had continuity in Argentine soccer with the Argentinos Juniors jersey in the 2017/2018 season. There he played 26 games and scored a goal. After passing through the Bug, he was in Toluca and Montevideo Wanders. And finally he joined the Australian cast where he played nine games and converted somewhat.

So, the coach will now have an alternative on the outside. The team has three points that are more to play in the center as Troyansky, Mazzola and Bou, and for that reason the coach wanted a fast player outside and Cabrera was chosen.

15 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Righto, so the only decent visa signing this season has fucked off in Jan. This club is shambolic.

The fact we're 2nd makes you wonder how much closer to first we'd be if all 5 visas had been fit and playing to form

The only cavert I have with Rojas is that a mindset change is needed as our current wingers have tended (at times) to drop way too deep, isolating Maclaren when we launch a quick counter. As such we need more than just different wingers, we need them to stay further forward / not drop so deep. 

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So we find out from the Forum and the Argentine media before the club tells us? FMD.

I honestly don't think that is something to get upset about JW. Looks like that report only came out last night/this morning our time and from what i recall in the past, info gets leaked out/reported on pretty early in South America.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, citymad said:

I am more interested, if it's confirmed by the club, as to who and how soon he will be replaced. TBH IMO Cabrera took way too long to settle in and also can't speak english very well at all and this has hampered his on pitch performance. 

Don’t you think he was the best performer out of Luna and Berenguer?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rass said:

I honestly don't think that is something to get upset about JW. Looks like that report only came out last night/this morning our time and from what i recall in the past, info gets leaked out/reported on pretty early in South America.

You're right. And to an extent it's a reverse vindication of our much-maligned scouting network - that he's valued by another club.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic