Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Was at the WU friendly in Ballarat on Saturday, and the CEO said they still had a couple of signings imminent. Maybe Duzel was one of them, and Berisha is the other. 

I imagine there was noone else there given the BFL Grand Final and the shocking weather??

6 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I hope so.

honestly sometimes I think our club has lost the plot.

ive got 2 issues with Old Mate Besart.

1. Totally hated

2. Two years ago he was a shadow of his old self. How good would he be now?

• Like 4

My whisper from the inside is that we enquired about his asking price and immediately baulked at what he wanted and thats as far as it got. Might well have been just an exercise in knowing what your opposition is forking out tbh.

Big offers have come from Welly and WU and he's tossing up between those two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

My whisper from the inside is that we enquired about his asking price and immediately baulked at what he wanted and thats as far as it got. Might well have been just an exercise in knowing what your opposition is forking out tbh.

If it wasn't that, surely it must mean that we have space inside the cap?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Big offers have come from Welly and WU and he's tossing up between those two.

I’m surprised he’s asking for something that we immediately said no to. A 34 year old and coming off an ordinary season. He’s got the runs on the board but he’s not the player he was.

Maybe we have $150k left and he asked for $300k? What do you reckon?

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’m surprised he’s asking for something that we immediately said no to. A 34 year old and coming off an ordinary season. He’s got the runs on the board but he’s not the player he was.

Maybe we have $150k left and he asked for $300k? What do you reckon?

My gut feel is we were never really interested and were just reading the room, but thats speculation on my behalf.
Perhaps a sub 80k contract you'd have a look but i dont think we'd allocate much more of our cap to a position we've already got filled than that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

My gut feel is we were never really interested and were just reading the room, but thats speculation on my behalf.
Perhaps a sub 80k contract you'd have a look but i dont think we'd allocate much more of our cap to a position we've already got filled than that.

Agreed. IMO Najjar is a very good player, and all he needs is a couple of A-League goals to kick-start him.

On 08/05/2018 at 9:05 AM, bt50 said:

On 08/05/2018 at 10:04 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

When this happens, do we have to make @jeffplz and @haz some kind of diety?

I for one welcome our new turkish/nth qld via Germany overlords. I'd like to remind them as a trusted podcast personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their aami park sausage stand caves. 

1058790.jpg.506c22f6ef7c62052718ed551a690fe7.jpg

Ah man we really need to start a new rumor  in January.  Hatem Ben Arfa when??

3 hours ago, haz said:

Ah man we really need to start a new rumor  in January.  Hatem Ben Arfa when??

Funnily enough I just walked past a construction site and I’m pretty confident I overheard a bloke with a strong Greek accent say “Hatem is done mate, I’m telling ya”.

next Thursday I reckon 

32 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Funnily enough I just walked past a construction site and I’m pretty confident I overheard a bloke with a strong Greek accent say “Hatem is done mate, I’m telling ya”.

next Thursday I reckon 

90% confirmed, just need the Serb hairdresser to agree. Might as well start the new thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we have to replace 2 in January. Berenguer and one of the Uruguayans 

Windbichler can stay, he has just been injured unfortunately 

I don't think we can replace all 5, we still are 2nd on the table. While last night wasnt great. It's not complete doom and gloom yet

23 minutes ago, neio said:

I think we have to replace 2 in January. Berenguer and one of the Uruguayans 

Windbichler can stay, he has just been injured unfortunately 

I don't think we can replace all 5, we still are 2nd on the table. While last night wasnt great. It's not complete doom and gloom yet

I don't think it's that simple. Any payment to Berenguer as a marquee would sit outside the cap, but any termination payment to any of the other visa players would have to be counted in the cap.

And who would you replace them by anyway?

• Like 1

I know it’s highly unlikely but I think we really do need a high profile marquee. Our attendances are terrible and we need a sugar hit. Even if we get back on track and finish the season off strong we will still struggle to get over 9k fans to games.

i know that over a few years with some winning entertaining football and the fans will come.... but they’ve had their chance,  CFG need to throw some money at this now. 

Cabrera and Noone can stay, they both started well last night until everything capitulated. 

But yes. I've been saying all along we need a quality marquee, for both the on-field injection of creativity when nothing else is working and obviously off-field since our attendances suck.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think it's that simple. Any payment to Berenguer as a marquee would sit outside the cap, but any termination payment to any of the other visa players would have to be counted in the cap.

And who would you replace them by anyway?

I'm sure there can be some creative accounting to make it all work, teams do it all the time

As to who, I don't have names. But players like Novillo and Harrison for city were bought in mid season and had an impact, and there are other examples from other clubs. I'm sure there are players out there, who are better than what we have at the moment 

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

If Mombaets is going to play the hoofball game then we need a tall strong target CF with passing skills to feed Jamie.

Yep - we’ve being saying this all along if you don’t feed the Mac properly we will struggle.

Another centre forward won’t fit in this system so you either upgrade your wingers or your two attacking midfielders (Silva and KdB roles). Brillante isnt suited for this and needs to play DM.

We’ve been playing long balls all season and gotten away with it until it really mattered against top 3 teams and in finals.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I happens in real life. Go and watch Italy at the Euros a couple of years ago when Pelle was feeding Eder, Insigne and Florenzi as just one example of 100s more.

Different system.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yep - we’ve being saying this all along if you don’t feed the Mac properly we will struggle.

Another centre forward won’t fit in this system so you either upgrade your wingers or your two attacking midfielders (Silva and KdB roles). Brillante isnt suited for this.

We’ve been playing long balls all season and gotten away with it until it really matters against top 3 teams and in finals.

Different system.

It fits JMac. He is fast and if he plays a bit deeper he can run onto the ball which suits him to a tee.

The tactic will work in the system we play atm.

• jw1739 pinned this topic