Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

IMO it's fair enough to deny a transfer to another A-League club at this stage of the pre-season. We've lost players already. Griffiths is under contract, and I'd say we'll let him go if we can get a fee from Asia for him but not otherwise.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I agree, that would stop youth development in it's tracks

Who love to read the article and thoughts behind it? I guess it wouldn’t hurt so much if it’s introduced with the second division. We can’t even get the current visa system right so doubt we are behind the push.

12 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Clubs are pushing for a 6th visa spot could come in this season 

Retrograde step IMO. Aren't we already out of step with the AFC by having five?

IMO reducing the number to four and allowing all four outside the cap would be a better move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I agree, that would stop youth development in it's tracks

Disagree. The blokes preventing youth development are the 25+ Australian journeyman type players. 

Because clubs must play local players, and most teams are geared to 1 season cycles and results are fundamental a coach 9 times out of 10 is going to play a senior player over a youth. 

I believe if the quota changed the situation with youth players would be exactly tge same.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heartman said:

Disagree. The blokes preventing youth development are the 25+ Australian journeyman type players. 

Because clubs must play local players, and most teams are geared to 1 season cycles and results are fundamental a coach 9 times out of 10 is going to play a senior player over a youth. 

I believe if the quota changed the situation with youth players would be exactly tge same.

No, the problem is not the players. The problem is the clubs and coaches. If they really put their faith in younger players then you wouldn't see the journeymen season after season. I've rarely seen a young Heart or City player let us down. Especially since our Academy came along. Warren Joyce almost had to have his arm twisted off before he would play Arzani - just as an example. In our current squad I would be playing a young player such as Najjarine every time over, say, Berenguer.

56 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Who love to read the article and thoughts behind it? I guess it wouldn’t hurt so much if it’s introduced with the second division. We can’t even get the current visa system right so doubt we are behind the push.

We'd also need to impose a limit on the number of teams that a player could play for, stop the endless recycling. That would potentially create space for youth players

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No, the problem is not the players. The problem is the clubs and coaches. If they really put their faith in younger players then you wouldn't see the journeymen season after season. I've rarely seen a young Heart or City player let us down. Especially since our Academy came along. Warren Joyce almost had to have his arm twisted off before he would play Arzani - just as an example. In our current squad I would be playing a young player such as Najjarine every time over, say, Berenguer.

Take Berenguer out of your thinking he is an outlier. Generally speaking Visa players are genuine starting players and the other 7 positions MUST be filled by local players. 

And my point is that these positions are mostly filled by senior journey men before youth players. 

If the visa player quota was changed IMO the situation with youth players would remain. 

The problem though of competing in ASIA would now be also affected, but in all honesty A League clubs have very little chance of competing anyway.

Interestingly, the Chinese Super League despite all of their wealth and dealings with visa players has rules in place ensuring that a Chinese U23 player must be on the pitch at all times. 

I think the A-League is actually a pretty good league with regards to youth development as a lot of young players do get a look in even amidst all of the failed visa signings and Australian journeymen, but perhaps there's room for such rules to ensure we have a better talent pool for the Socceroos in the years to come.

16 minutes ago, Heartman said:

IMO our biggest issues re youth are centered around three main factors ; the salary cap and the transfer fee ban between A League clubs, and the young players ambitions to head overseas.

The cap makes it difficult for clubs to sign youth to any sort of substantial contract, especially as they are a risk of sorts at that age. Many don't go on to make it, and all are totally unproven so it doesnt make sense to hand out big contracts. Clubs would be foolish to hand out three year deals to a kid only to work out after one season he's never going to make it when they can get a 31 yo proven squaddie to warm the bench who is desperate to keep is pro career going for min wage on a one year deal. The flipside is the kid is highly unlikely to sign a three year deal on minimum wage either, because if they do prove themselves theyve then done themselves out $$$ in seasons two and three of that deal. 

Likewise, there's not a whole stack of incentive for say a CCM or Wellington to pour games into a player only for the player to publically declare they want to move to City after a season. CCM then get caught between a rock and a hard place; keeping a player that doesnt want to be there is often toxic, and they cant even demand the transfer fee from City to make the investment worthwhile. Putting transfer fees in place at least allows CCM to recoup some of that effort and they can then reinvest in better senior players/bank the profit and in turn the youth get more of a crack across the league, particularly in the lower clubs, because theres a business case for it.

The young player ambitions to go overseas is the other factor at play; if they are signed to a long term deal and the buying club needs to pay a transfer fee it often rules the buying club out, hence limiting the chances for the player to go. Obv if the player is good enough that will be overcome, but often the player doesnt get the chance to prove it as the league is currently structured.

I think getting rid of the transfer fee ban is clearly the most important thing to do to promote youth here. Even if its just a fee of 50k-150k that a City or Sydney pay to a CCM or WU for a talented youngster, it gives the struggling teams more incentive to play the kids and tbf perhaps the City's and Sudneys more incentive to play them as theyve actually invested in the player. Increased cap or total abolishing of it will also help too, but less important imo.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Tonight should tell us whether we've got enough fire-power up front. So far I'm not convinced that we have.

I am still not convinced. Are we creating enough chances? I think we're one player short of a potent team.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I am still not convinced. Are we creating enough chances? I think we're one player short of a potent team.

I think our starting 4 is fine. Maclaren is proven, Noone looks good and the 2 Uruguayans don't look bad

It's of any of them get injured I think we are in trouble. I don't particularly trust Wales, Berenguer to get job done 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

At the risk of sounding like i'm being a bit forgiving, i do think its difficult in games like that where teams sit back on you a bit to show what youd be like in an A League context. In saying that, it definitely seemed to be a game where the ball was in midfield for the majority of the game and we failed to penetrate the final third regularly.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IMO our biggest issues re youth are centered around three main factors ; the salary cap and the transfer fee ban between A League clubs, and the young players ambitions to head overseas.

The cap makes it difficult for clubs to sign youth to any sort of substantial contract, especially as they are a risk of sorts at that age. Many don't go on to make it, and all are totally unproven so it doesnt make sense to hand out big contracts. Clubs would be foolish to hand out three year deals to a kid only to work out after one season he's never going to make it when they can get a 31 yo proven squaddie to warm the bench who is desperate to keep is pro career going for min wage on a one year deal. The flipside is the kid is highly unlikely to sign a three year deal on minimum wage either, because if they do prove themselves theyve then done themselves out $$$ in seasons two and three of that deal. 

Likewise, there's not a whole stack of incentive for say a CCM or Wellington to pour games into a player only for the player to publically declare they want to move to City after a season. CCM then get caught between a rock and a hard place; keeping a player that doesnt want to be there is often toxic, and they cant even demand the transfer fee from City to make the investment worthwhile. Putting transfer fees in place at least allows CCM to recoup some of that effort and they can then reinvest in better senior players/bank the profit and in turn the youth get more of a crack across the league, particularly in the lower clubs, because theres a business case for it.

The young player ambitions to go overseas is the other factor at play; if they are signed to a long term deal and the buying club needs to pay a transfer fee it often rules the buying club out, hence limiting the chances for the player to go. Obv if the player is good enough that will be overcome, but often the player doesnt get the chance to prove it as the league is currently structured.

I think getting rid of the transfer fee ban is clearly the most important thing to do to promote youth here. Even if its just a fee of 50k-150k that a City or Sydney pay to a CCM or WU for a talented youngster, it gives the struggling teams more incentive to play the kids and tbf perhaps the City's and Sudneys more incentive to play them as theyve actually invested in the player. Increased cap or total abolishing of it will also help too, but less important imo.

Agreed. There's one more issue, and that's the inability to loan out young players for development, both because intra A League loans are banned, and because there isn't a second tier to loan to. Get a second tier in place and allow loans, at least from T1 to T2, and this will also help significantly. 

18 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Agreed. There's one more issue, and that's the inability to loan out young players for development, both because intra A League loans are banned, and because there isn't a second tier to loan to. Get a second tier in place and allow loans, at least from T1 to T2, and this will also help significantly. 

Inter A League loans are now in place. De Silva was loaned from CCM to Sydney last season.

But yes agree, all parts of the puzzle.

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I thought that we could now have inter-club loans, limit two each way isn't it?

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

At the moment, I believe that there are no on-selling fees. If a young player is developed in the NPL, or at a weaker HAL team, there's on benefit to the development club when that player is sold by a City or the surfs to an overseas league and does well

On 20/08/2019 at 12:58 PM, Mr MO said:

What are our options Bob, could you shed some light on the salary cap situation and wether there is another surprise in the works?

Personally I would be looking for a replacement/stand in for Jamieson. Let the kids play freely in midfield and attack but setup our backline even stronger.

No surprises. All visa spots are filled, and both marquee spots have been locked in for months. The squad is final unless a big bid from overseas comes in and there's a scramble to replace. Players like Metcalfe, Najjarine and Najjar stepping up will be great for squad depth this year so out of form players can be given a break. 

Galloway can play both sides of defence to cover should Jamieson go down injured, as well as Karlic at LB in the NPL squad who is very highly rated. 

Expecting to leak a few more goals but something has to give if you're going to play on the front foot. Overall the squad looks a lot more solid and balanced this season compared to last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

No surprises. All visa spots are filled, and both marquee spots have been locked in for months. The squad is final unless a big bid from overseas comes in and there's a scramble to replace. Players like Metcalfe, Najjarine and Najjar stepping up will be great for squad depth this year so out of form players can be given a break. 

Galloway can play both sides of defence to cover should Jamieson go down injured, as well as Karlic at LB in the NPL squad who is very highly rated. 

Expecting to leak a few more goals but something has to give if you're going to play on the front foot. Overall the squad looks a lot more solid and balanced this season compared to last.

Any news on Rostyn Griffiths? Likely to stay or leave? 

Edited by Heart of oakleigh

3 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Thank you Bob - Maclaren and Berenguer marquee correct? To remove the last doubters here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Any chance of a big bid conning in for Berenguer? That kid will be a top player in a big league given an opportunity. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

It looks as if the club are getting around him at the moment and showing him a bit of love online which might mean something. Doubt he's happy not playing but it just shows how competitive it is for spots in the squad now. 

I’m not sure what it means? Is he being bullied? They like him a lot but don’t mind him being out of the squad?

Surely he earns more than most of the players keeping him out of the squad. Just let him go on free bee, he clearly wants out.

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m not sure what it means? Is he being bullied? They like him a lot but don’t mind him being out of the squad?

Surely he earns more than most of the players keeping him out of the squad. Just let him go on free bee, he clearly wants out.

Theres no point in letting him go unless you can sign a replacement of equal or better value. There's not a lot of good Aussies around and available atm...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Theres no point in letting him go unless you can sign a replacement of equal or better value. There's not a lot of good Aussies around and available atm...

Have been told that he is happy just cruising and collecting his pay check. Not trying to leave nor trying to break into team.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, malloy said:

Have been told that he is happy just cruising and collecting his pay check. Not trying to leave nor trying to break into team.

Not ideal if thats the case. I spose you try your best to get him back on deck and if theres no interest you look to move him on where possible. In saying that, not sure i see the point of paying him out either. You'd need to negotiate some sort of release where there's some financial benefit to us.

23 hours ago, malloy said:

That's an attitude that could bring other players down, everyone has worked with a lazy bastard.

• jw1739 pinned this topic