Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

What does everyone think of the squad so far?

Are there positions that need a higher quality player or more depth?

Or should we give the current squad a chance under Erick, and leave some space for reinforcing in Jan?

Backup striker in case Maclaren gets injured or is out of form or we need a tactical switch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

Or should we give the current squad a chance under Erick, and leave some space for reinforcing in Jan?

Either sign someone to partner Brillante or use Metcalf/Genreau.  Not sold on Griffiths and not sure if he is even staying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

According to the club today this is the list as it stands:
Dean Bouzanis (GK), Tom Glover (GK), Scott Jamieson, Scott Galloway, Harrison Delbridge, Curtis Good, Richard Windbichler, Nathaniel Atkinson, Rostyn Griffiths, Joshua Brillante, Denis Genreau, Connor Metcalfe, Lachlan Wales, Florin Berenguer, Craig Noone, Javier Cabrera, Adrian Luna, Jamie Maclaren, Ramy Najjarine, Moudi Najjar, Gianluca Iannucci.

That's 21 players. So numerically we have room for two more, plus Scholarship players. And we may still see some player movement.

IMO at this stage it's a decent squad without being outstanding. I'm also not sold on Griffiths, especially considering it's been reported that he's a want-away. IMO the biggest weaknesses are Berenguer occupying a Visa place and, reportedly, also being a Marquee - he's just not of the quality of players being signed by other clubs. Also although there's nothing wrong with Maclaren as a striker, but as a Marquee - question mark. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Either sign someone to partner Brillante or use Metcalf/Genreau.  Not sold on Griffiths and not sure if he is even staying.

Nobody partners Brillante. 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Backup striker in case Maclaren gets injured or is out of form or we need a tactical switch.

Club are going with Najjar, who I like. Alternatively, use Wales or Noone as the backup striker. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO at this stage it's a decent squad without being outstanding. I'm also not sold on Griffiths, especially considering it's been reported that he's a want-away. IMO the biggest weaknesses are Berenguer occupying a Visa place and, reportedly, also being a Marquee - he's just not of the quality of players being signed by other clubs. Also although there's nothing wrong with Maclaren as a striker, but as a Marquee - question mark. 

Better to have a Champion team than a team of champions. Over to you Entraîneur

10 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Since Victory have ended negotiations with troisi should we try and get him, think he would be player we are missing, florin isn’t the guy to do it and luna looks more of a wide player, thats where Erick was playing him nevertheless.

No no no no no no no no.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Since Victory have ended negotiations with troisi should we try and get him, think he would be player we are missing, florin isn’t the guy to do it and luna looks more of a wide player, thats where Erick was playing him nevertheless.

Yeh a 1 year deal on half the wage he wants Id take that. 

Him and his agent have priced him out from a number of clubs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Nope. He's a dickhead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What position would you want to reinforce the squad if we had the funds?

Wily aging forward happy to warm the pine and come on in the 82nd minute to provide another attacking option. Don't think we have ever had one

1 minute ago, Cloughie said:

Wily aging forward happy to warm the pine and come on in the 82nd minute to provide another attacking option. Don't think we have ever had one

And don’t need one. Why block the path of Najjar, Wales, Najjarine and Iannucci? They’ve all got talent, they just need opportunities.

The Jedinak signing is also unnecessary. Brillante is a very good player and we signed him specifically for that role. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

And don’t need one. Why block the path of Najjar, Wales, Najjarine and Iannucci? They’ve all got talent, they just need opportunities.

The Jedinak signing is also unnecessary. Brillante is a very good player and we signed him specifically for that role. 

Agree on both fronts. IMO the only signing worth making atm, given it would have to be an Aussie, is someone in that Jesse Curran type mould that is youngish but semi-established, but affordable.
I'm reasonably content with the make up of our squad as it stands tbh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Jedinak is not and never has been an option...

What are our options Bob, could you shed some light on the salary cap situation and wether there is another surprise in the works?

Personally I would be looking for a replacement/stand in for Jamieson. Let the kids play freely in midfield and attack but setup our backline even stronger.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What are our options Bob, could you shed some light on the salary cap situation and wether there is another surprise in the works?

Personally I would be looking for a replacement/stand in for Jamieson. Let the kids play freely in midfield and attack but setup our backline even stronger.

Galloway could play on the left and Atkinson on the right. Atkinson looked very good against Bentleigh and Galloway can play both sides.

But I think Jamieson has the spot at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Agree on both fronts. IMO the only signing worth making atm, given it would have to be an Aussie, is someone in that Jesse Curran type mould that is youngish but semi-established, but affordable.
I'm reasonably content with the make up of our squad as it stands tbh.

I agree that Curran would be a good addition. He's still without a club - maybe it's still possible but if it were going to happen IMO it would have happened by now. We need to remember Jamieson is out of contract at the end of the season.

I agree that the squad is OK as it stands. Not sure if it's going to be good enough to go into Asia next year, but let's wait and see.

IMO in the future getting in a real star marquee forward will be necessary if we want to get growth in our support. I know it doesn't fit the marquee strategy set out by CFG, but I think we've muddled along in the "also-ran" category for a little too long. We need someone who is going to really excite fans in Melbourne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

Don't get me wrong, first priority is young guys running at tired defenders.

But there are always those games where it is windy or wet, or the big centrebacks are carving chunks out of calves while the ref left his cards in the changeroom and you're chasing a goal.

That's when I want to turn to the bench to the tough old forward with less pace left in him but a tonne of guile.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

Don't get me wrong, first priority is young guys running at tired defenders.

But there are always those games where it is windy or wet, or the big centrebacks are carving chunks out of calves while the ref left his cards in the changeroom and you're chasing a goal.

That's when I want to turn to the bench to the tough old forward with less pace left in him but a tonne of guile.

True - but making that person an international signing is probably overkill. 

On a similar topic, this is what Najjar does a lot of in the NPL, has the ball lumped to him out of defence and deals with two defenders hanging off him quite a bit.

9 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

I have heard he is going to the scum and to be announced friday. Source - Greek oil magnate. Dont shoot me im just the messenger. 

That wouldn’t surprise me, Victory aren’t looking for youngish marquee players with potential onsell values. 

I still wouldn’t take Jedinak as I think he is way past his expiry date and I think he will struggle coming back here with hard pitches, injuries etc.... many players of his age are only good for a handfull of games. Besides we are good in his position.

Edited by Mr MO

19 hours ago, Harrison said:

Galloway could play on the left and Atkinson on the right. Atkinson looked very good against Bentleigh and Galloway can play both sides.

But I think Jamieson has the spot at the moment. 

You are correct but we were talking about which position to add if we had funds! Would love to hear your theory.

I suppose the concern with the CF position is that Maclaren will be called up for National teams and Najjar whose been given some chances albeit off the bench mainly hasn't yet scored. Could Nathan Burns do a job? Very similar player to Maclaren do wouldn't have to change the way the team plays

9 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

I suppose the concern with the CF position is that Maclaren will be called up for National teams and Najjar whose been given some chances albeit off the bench mainly hasn't yet scored. Could Nathan Burns do a job? Very similar player to Maclaren do wouldn't have to change the way the team plays

Burns was horrible for the nix last season. Might be time to look past him now TBH

• jw1739 pinned this topic