Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

That being so I'm slightly underwhelmed. Can't get a gig at a club just relegated to League 2 doesn't fill me with confidence. That's not someone who sounds like they are challenging for the jersey, they are just there to warm the bench. However, I'll wait and see, would be harsh to write him off, and the current competition isn't crash hot. 

Lynch uses the description "youngish." We ought to be able to make some guesses based on that. I would have said that both Glover and Holmes are "young" rather than "youngish." Who do we have , say, 24-25?

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

Did not realise he was still 28, thought he was closer to 31/32 for some reason

He'll be 29 before the season starts. He was hit-and-miss for us. If he signs for them I don't see it as a big signing, but I can't see a whole lot of love between us and Perth this coming season.

18 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

Just announce Glover already

Not quite sure what you mean there. Moving on though, reading the Twitter posts of last night's youth match (2-3 loss to Ballarat) it doesn't read too well for Taleb. Did anyone watch the match at all?

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not quite sure what you mean there. Moving on though, reading the Twitter posts of last night's youth match (2-3 loss to Ballarat) it doesn't read too well for Taleb. Did anyone watch the match at all?

Glover didn’t really leave a good impression during his last stint in Australia. Didn’t he get dropped from the Mariners team after a handful of games?

52 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Glover didn’t really leave a good impression during his last stint in Australia. Didn’t he get dropped from the Mariners team after a handful of games?

He was on loan from Spurs, played the first four League matches (don't know about pre-season) and then spent most of the season on the bench, second to Ben Kennedy.

In his defence he was only 19 when he arrived, and he could have improved since then. If we sign him, let's hope so, because I don't think too many City supporters have a lot of faith in Bouzanis.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

In the end of we save 300k on Birri leaving sign another keeper can sign another player good business as I honestly don't think Birri is miles ahead of BooooooZanis  

Some of that money will of course go to another GK. If Griffiths also departs we have some handy cash available.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, haz said:

TBH looking at the team, I would take a decent GK (is there even any decent Aussies available?) over Jedinak.

Agreed. I rate Langerak better than Glover. Tom might be very talented but failed to secure any kind of contract in the European lower leagues after multiple trials.

19 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think people are being a bit harsh on Bouzanis.

Maybe we should wait until the Euro transfers are over to see if there is a much better alternative because getting a keeper that is just a little bit better is a waste imo.

Im just hoping a year on the Edam and liquorice has done him some good. Having said that Eug looked bloody awful early pre season last year, and went on to play a storming first half of the season. 

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

I think people are being a bit harsh on Bouzanis.

Maybe we should wait until the Euro transfers are over to see if there is a much better alternative because getting a keeper that is just a little bit better is a waste imo.

I don't think we're being harsh - his track record isn't good. As far as the Euro transfers are concerned, as it stands at the moment we can only sign an Australian GK - all our visa places are taken.

Also not to be forgotten is that Bouzanis is in the final year of his contract. Whatever we do needs to look further ahead than just this season.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we're being harsh - his track record isn't good. As far as the Euro transfers are concerned, as it stands at the moment we can only sign an Australian GK - all our visa places are taken.

Also not to be forgotten is that Bouzanis is in the final year of his contract. Whatever we do needs to look further ahead than just this season.

Bouzanis had a pretty decent season with us last time around IIRC. Other than his stinker in the derby, imo his performances were pretty good. I actually disagree that his track record isnt good.
In saying that he's not brilliant, but he's serviceable. A League average at worst, just above average at best imo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah but my point is that he had a reasonable season 2 seasons back and I think it wouldn't be an advantage getting someone at a similar level just for the sake of it.

Galekovic had some great games but I wouldn't say he was head and shoulders above Dean.

As for the euro transfers, my point is that if we wanted to get a much better keeper then we would need to look at this and do some re-shuffling with our current list or get an Aussie in that market.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Bouzanis had a pretty decent season with us last time around IIRC. Other than his stinker in the derby, imo his performances were pretty good. I actually disagree that his track record isnt good.
In saying that he's not brilliant, but he's serviceable. A League average at worst, just above average at best imo.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. IMO your first-choice GK just being "serviceable" isn't enough if you intend to win the League.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. IMO your first-choice GK just being "serviceable" isn't enough if you intend to win the League.

Hmmm, well I guess you can look at Redmayne at Sydney.

IMO we just don't play enough games to justify 2 quality GKs. Look at last year, we had two starting keepers and one of them didn't even get a game.

My opinion only, but I think a decent keeper who can apply themselves and put pressure on Bouzanis for that starting spot should be enough. Plus it helps with the $$$ side too.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rass said:

Hmmm, well I guess you can look at Redmayne at Sydney.

IMO we just don't play enough games to justify 2 quality GKs. Look at last year, we had two starting keepers and one of them didn't even get a game.

My opinion only, but I think a decent keeper who can apply themselves and put pressure on Bouzanis for that starting spot should be enough. Plus it helps with the $$$ side too.

There's plenty of examples of 'average' goalkeepers winning the league. Thomas, Theo, Reddy and Redders spring to mind. In Redders case he was clearly below average and then came good.
Now i'm not saying i wouldnt prefer a next tier up keeper like Ryan or Vukovic in a perfect world, but in a capped league you need to spend your $$$ wisely and tbh i actually reckon value for money wise Bouzanis is probably up there (imo he's not on that much, hence the three year deal initially).

I know some people will argue he's below A League average, but i dont think the numbers support that, and most of it stems from the odd howler he comes up with, and the perceived lack of effort when he doesnt attempt to save one he knows has him beaten. He's certainly got our best penalty save record thats for sure.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic