Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Not sure if i want him to come anyway.. Luna was the name of a cat of a chick i was seeing.. hated the cat and hate her

That sort of logic is exactly what the club needs to adopt, foolproof. 

Definitely need more pussy talk on here.

Griffiths is no big loss, I'm looking forward to seeing what the likes of Metcalfe and Genreau can do instead of old and overrated A-League journeymen.

I don't know heaps about Luna, but I wish we'd go for someone with a greater pedigree of the ilk of Diego Castro, Ninkovic or Toivonen who all had either profound top flight European league or international experience. Obviously Fornaroli was a big unknown before coming to us and proved to be a huge success, but with our supposedly rich owners backing us I'd love to see us land a big fish just once.

Luna really just doesn't strike me as being marquee quality without first proving himself in the A-League, he played for Veracruz which was by far the absolute shittest team in the Mexican league last season (they won 2 games and were 22 points off the pace of second-last) and hasn't played for any reputable clubs before that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Maybe we could keep Brattan after all? 

That might be the play, reading between the lines.

It would seem to me that Bratts would rather stay here than go to another A League club if he could.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Quite predictable really. 

The bloke has played for a different club every season. Seems to get bored pretty quickly and is a mercenary.

If we lose him we’re definitely light on for midfielders. Maybe we could keep Brattan after all? 

I don’t blame him for chasing the money while he can, plus he can always come back and join CCM or the Nix once he’s cooked

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

I don’t blame him for chasing the money while he can, plus he can always come back and join CCM or the Nix once he’s cooked

Yeah I think those fringe players just have to bank as much as they can while they can. 

Someone like Bruno or Brattan can afford to stay loyal when they are earning $350k plus anyway but Griffiths would be on $200kish so even a $50k pay rise means a lot more to him than others.

27 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Yeah I think those fringe players just have to bank as much as they can while they can. 

Someone like Bruno or Brattan can afford to stay loyal when they are earning $350k plus anyway but Griffiths would be on $200kish so even a $50k pay rise means a lot more to him than others.

Griffiths would have got pretty good coin when he was in Uzbekistan imo. IIRC he was the record transfer fee for the A League for a period.

Edited by bt50

With Baccus gone and Griffiths wanting to leave, perhaps even Schenkeveld comes back into the picture, except that we already have 4 visa players so it can't be Schenkeveld and Luna. Windbichler has experience as DM doesn't he?

These departures must be giving Petrillo and Mombaerts a bit of a headache.

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

With Baccus gone and Griffiths wanting to leave, perhaps even Schenkeveld comes back into the picture, except that we already have 4 visa players so it can't be Schenkeveld and Luna. Windbichler has experience as DM doesn't he?

These departures must be giving Petrillo and Mombaerts a bit of a headache.

It will be a change to have a season where our worry is a shortage of defensive midfielders, rather than a surplus... In truth we're probably one player light in the 6/8 positions, and there are plenty of possibilities, including retaining Bratts. I'd still worry more about having enough talent to play at 10. Perhaps Osama might like a return as a 6? He's getting no game time in Saudi. 

Edited by fensaddler

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

He surely wouldn't play for the filth. 

It's quite difficult for players and coaches at this time. Players are still joining and leaving squads, because the contracts in different countries don't all end on the same date, players quite naturally want to better themselves, and with the salary cap it's quite difficult for A-League clubs. We wanted to keep Bratts, he wanted somewhere else, that's fallen through, and we perhaps can't take him back even if he wanted it because of commitments we've made in the meantime. E.g. Brillante. Now apparently Griffiths wants out so the situation changes again. Not easy for Petrillo at this time.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Stay woke people. Brattan was the main issue for us last season, not Joyce

Whilst I absolutely disagree with this statement -

Future headlines: Brattan finds career best form at Victory; Brattan puts 3 past City in Demolition Derby; Brattan is a Victory Man and reveals what life was like under the tyranny of Warren Joyce at City.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Stay woke people. Brattan was the main issue for us last season, not Joyce

Well, no he wasn't (and yes, I'm reading the implicit irony) he actually improved under Joyce. He went from underwhelming to merely good sometimes. He wasn't good with JVS. And under both, I'd maintain that his biggest problem was dwelling on the ball when we needed to move forward. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Well, no he wasn't (and yes, I'm reading the implicit irony) he actually improved under Joyce. He went from underwhelming to merely good sometimes. He wasn't good with JVS. And under both, I'd maintain that his biggest problem was dwelling on the ball when we needed to move forward. 

His first 6 or so games under JVS was his best period for us. He then dropped off dramatically until Joyce came, which then seemed to be a couple games on, couple games non existent kind of form line.

Id be disappointed to see him at another a league club tbh, and would have liked to have kept him on if possible, but in the balancing game that is the a league salary cap hes not the sort of lynchpin you build a team around imo.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic