Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Brillante only has scored 3 goals in 70+ HAL appearances. Brattan has a slightly better ratio, so I'm hoping either Brillante can step up or another midfielder can add those extra goals we desperately need.

6 minutes ago, haz said:

Brillante only has scored 3 goals in 70+ HAL appearances. Brattan has a slightly better ratio, so I'm hoping either Brillante can step up or another midfielder can add those extra goals we desperately need.

Brillante is a genuine 6 that can maybe play a little bit of 8. Brattan was more of a mish mash of 6 and 10; can play both but not really consistently dominant in either role.
I'd hope that Luna ends up being that out and out creative 10, with Brillante partnering Griffiths, unless of course Brattan resigns and we give him first crack. Metcalfe and Genreau also good options to partner Brillante. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Brillante is a genuine 6 that can maybe play a little bit of 8. Brattan was more of a mish mash of 6 and 10; can play both but not really consistently dominant in either role.
I'd hope that Luna ends up being that out and out creative 10, with Brillante partnering Griffiths, unless of course Brattan resigns and we give him first crack. Metcalfe and Genreau also good options to partner Brillante. 

Think so. Seems like Metcalfe played as a 10 on the weekend, but I think he can develop as a 6 or 8. Genreau the same.

Regardless, if he goes with a 4-2-3-1, which I think is likely, then the two 6s don't need to worry about scoring goals...they just break up attacks and are the link between the defenders and attacking midfielders.

If they can score a few then that's just a bonus. Brattan was handy in that department and we might miss that but really, the attacking midfielders should be shouldering that load.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Think so. Seems like Metcalfe played as a 10 on the weekend, but I think he can develop as a 6 or 8. Genreau the same.

Regardless, if he goes with a 4-2-3-1, which I think is likely, then the two 6s don't need to worry about scoring goals...they just break up attacks and are the link between the defenders and attacking midfielders.

If they can score a few then that's just a bonus. Brattan was handy in that department and we might miss that but really, the attacking midfielders should be shouldering that load.

What i love about both Metcalfe and Genreau is imo theyre quite versatile from what ive seen. Think Metcalfe can play 6,8 or 10, and Genreau 6,8,10 or wing. That bodes well for their selection imo, because they can come on and do a job no matter what.

Anyway, most balanced squad we've had?

Birra

Galloway Windy Delbo Jamo

Brillante Griffiths

Luna*

Noone Jmac Cabrera*

SUBS : Bouza Good Berenguer Atkinson Wales

Najjarine Iannuci Genreau Metcalfe Wales Najjar

Edited by bt50

16 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Lack of action on the South American front makes me think this could have been just agent talk and wishful thinking. 

I tend to think its more visa issues tbh, but yes the longer the trail goes cold the more we might be concerned.

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Not if we want to win something.

Back up strikers are a waste of cap space in the A League. Money better spent elsewhere.
Najjar is a good backup option there, and presumably our other forwards could fill in for a game or two if required. If JMac was to go down longer term, then you use the injury replacement rules if need be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Back up strikers are a waste of cap space in the A League. Money better spent elsewhere.
Najjar is a good backup option there, and presumably our other forwards could fill in for a game or two if required. If JMac was to go down longer term, then you use the injury replacement rules if need be.

The reason why I said it is because I can't recall that that working for a successful team in the A-league.

We need an experienced backup in our squad that can play that position.

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The reason why I said it is because I can't recall that that working for a successful team in the A-league.

We need an experienced backup in our squad that can play that position.

Go the other way, which A League team's have had good back up strikers that have won it?

Most have had other players change positions to accommodate any injuries ie Brosque from wide into striker, Castro from 10 or wide to striker.

Very few sides have had quality genuine strikers sitting on the bench.

Edited by bt50

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I tend to think its more visa issues tbh, but yes the longer the trail goes cold the more we might be concerned.

IIRC Budzinski ran foul of visa/work permit issues and his arrival was similarly delayed.

Although it seems longer, it's only a couple of weeks since the Adrian Luna move was mentioned. The other one was a few days earlier.

But in any case, CFG will have a back-up plan.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Go the other way, which A League team's have had good back up strikers that have won it?

Most have had other players change positions to accommodate any injuries ie Brosque from wide into striker, Castro from 10 or wide to striker.

Very few sides have had quality genuine strikers sitting on the bench.

Bobo and Simon

Dominated the league.

And you are right. Much rather see Noone as a makeshift striker if needed.

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

D93EEA55-D96B-43D1-B875-C13FD99FCE29.gif.f43614361152f2cee873c1f9fc79ca84.gif

Bobo dominated the league, not sure Simon did much. And tbf i did say good backup strikers haha.

Anyway we're in agreeance; backup strikers are a waste of cap space; better to recruit a winger that can cover if necessary, or use a kid as a backup option.

Edited by bt50

5 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

This will be the first time that we have all visa players available for the complete preseason. No more funny excuses that we are still weeks away from the first derby. 

That's an overly optimistic and premature call.

We have 3 months of pre season and injury is a real concern especially soft tissue for those new to the country, South Americans seem more resilient but any from Europe especially UK are high risks.

Edited by Heartman

32 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Assuming that Adrian Luna signs i still think we need one more midfielder. Especially someone that can partner Brillante. Im not sold on Griffiths and i know Metcalfe & Genreau will get minutes but a gun to partner Brillante and our squad will be complete.

I have a lot of faith in those youngster, rather see that last spot go to all in attacking player.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I have a lot of faith in those youngster, rather see that last spot go to all in attacking player.

Agreed. And these guys are not "youngsters" on today's football standards - Genreau has turned 20 and Metcalfe will do so in November. They can hold their own in the A-League.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. And these guys are not "youngsters" on today's football standards - Genreau has turned 20 and Metcalfe will do so in November. They can hold their own in the A-League.

And if the club has any ambitions of developing younger players these two should get a minimum of 10-15 games each this season. If not they will both leave at the end of the year. 

• Like 2

i would be starting genreau alongside brillante as our 8. he can battle it out with metcalfe.  florin or cabrera can play 10.  dont need griffiths when we have brillante and the kids will work their asses off to be the best.  metcalfe was great last year and by all knowledge, genreau is even better

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

Not sure if i want him to come anyway.. Luna was the name of a cat of a chick i was seeing.. hated the cat and hate her

Alright CFG call it off.

Suppose your current GF's cat (that you love) is called Messi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic