Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

CFG believe Melbourne has to be a viable business in its own right, i think that's quite clear.

I think building the membership base would be a good start and it doesn't take a person with a high business acumen to realise that they have got it all wrong in every department for way too long..

Message to MCFC...... 'Keep It Simple Stupid' as this has been a successful formula for many many successful businesses.

Edited by playmaker

18 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think building the membership base would be a good start and it doesn't take a person with a high business acumen to realise that they have got it all wrong in every department for way too long..

Message to MCFC...... 'Keep It Simple Stupid' as this has been a successful formula for many many successful businesses.

Agree. Start by discounting season ticket fees for existing or previous season ticket holders. Reduce entry prices for non-season ticket holders. Bums on seats + entertaining football

Please give us a break from the moaning about ticket prices. The club has made significant changes to the seating arrangements for certain categories, and has introduced discounts for Foundations Members and Seniors. There were already discounts for other categories, such as Juniors and Pension Card Holders. I believe there are others, but I don't know what they are.

This will be my first season with a discounted membership. If I attend all 13 home matches next season it will cost me less than $13 per match, great seat high up at the Southern End, completely under cover. I can't ask for better than that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Please give us a break from the moaning about ticket prices. The club has made significant changes to the seating arrangements for certain categories, and has introduced discounts for Foundations Members and Seniors. There were already discounts for other categories, such as Juniors and Pension Card Holders. I believe there are others, but I don't know what they are.

This will be my first season with a discounted membership. If I attend all 13 home matches next season it will cost me less than $13 per match, great seat high up at the Southern End, completely under cover. I can't ask for better than that.

I'm not moaning. I'm suggesting that the franchise does what any other business does if it wants to sell its product after it's lost market share, it improves value for money by increasing quality and decreasing prices. Isn't that the point of market competition?

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I knew you were going to jump onto this haha!

The club just replaces Bart with another visa CB. Many on here have the opinion that we have enough quality in Australia for defenders (Bart discussion remember) and believe that the visa/marquee spots should all go to the forward line. 

A visa player in every line is my preference!

Yeh I bit on purpose. I don't remember anyone saying visa players shouldn't be defenders. I remember a marquee defender as the discussion though. Bart was clearly asking too much, probably money needed to put him at marquee. I agree with the choice not to sign him. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm not moaning. I'm suggesting that the franchise does what any other business does if it wants to sell its product after it's lost market share, it improves value for money by increasing quality and decreasing prices. Isn't that the point of market competition?

I'm suggesting that the club has made changes to its pricing. At least for certain members. City Blue and GA are now a very large part of Level 1. I can't comment about walk-ups. The matter of entertaining football is another matter. I don't think the club can guarantee that, because it's in the eye of the beholder, but Mombaerts has already commented that it is what he intends to deliver and create a new identity for the club.

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh I bit on purpose. I don't remember anyone saying visa players shouldn't be defenders. I remember a marquee defender as the discussion though. Bart was clearly asking too much, probably money needed to put him at marquee. I agree with the choice not to sign him. 

From your own post;

''Australia's stock in defenders compared to strikers or top quality number 10? No comparison. Well documented even at NT level that we can't produce top strikers. Point here is we have many strong defenders to choose from''

My apologies but I read that you don't want any foreigners as a defender in our team as we stock enough strong defenders in Australia. As we don't have any marquee worthy Australian defenders around the globe in my opinion - I thought you refered to visa/marquee players. 

If we can't have Bart, I would have rather given this visa spot to another attacking player. Unless the club already knows that Good isn't returning.

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm suggesting that the club has made changes to its pricing. At least for certain members. City Blue and GA are now a very large part of Level 1. I can't comment about walk-ups. The matter of entertaining football is another matter. I don't think the club can guarantee that, because it's in the eye of the beholder, but Mombaerts has already commented that it is what he intends to deliver and create a new identity for the club.

Sure, it needs to happen for walk-ups too. There are 3 groups to target: existing season ticket holders that need to be retained; lapsed season ticket holders that need to be enticed and convinced; finally, the one-offs or the uncommitted people that turn up for a single game. The last group has a much lower threshold for just not returning as they haven't invested financially or emotionally. They'll set the bar high with the current ticket prices

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Sure, it needs to happen for walk-ups too. There are 3 groups to target: existing season ticket holders that need to be retained; lapsed season ticket holders that need to be enticed and convinced; finally, the one-offs or the uncommitted people that turn up for a single game. The last group has a much lower threshold for just not returning as they haven't invested financially or emotionally. They'll set the bar high with the current ticket prices

Wrong topic 

Reading the report, Metcalfe, Najjar and Najjarine all did well in a 5-1 win so things are looking good from the youth perspective. Mombaerts has already talked of our "fantastic youth players" so I hope we going to see them getting more minutes than Joyce was prepared to give them. With 9 scholarship places available my view is that the likes of Delianov, Cavallo and Pierias jumped the City ship a little too early. It's going to be interesting to see who does and who does not turn up for pre-season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Reading the report, Metcalfe, Najjar and Najjarine all did well in a 5-1 win so things are looking good from the youth perspective. Mombaerts has already talked of our "fantastic youth players" so I hope we going to see them getting more minutes than Joyce was prepared to give them. With 9 scholarship places available my view is that the likes of Delianov, Cavallo and Pierias jumped the City ship a little too early. It's going to be interesting to see who does and who does not turn up for pre-season.

I think for Delianov, 2 senior keepers being contracted was clear that he had to make a move.

Same really for Pierias we contracted Galloway, the club must have showed little confidence in him.

Edited by Mr MO

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think I'm more high on Najjar than most people, but he did some really good things on Saturday night, and continues to develop a little bit of a bastard streak which probably is coming from playing against men, rather than boys. 

• Like 1

Transfermarkt has Curtis Good contracted to us for another season.

Did training start today? If so, a list of who turned up would be an indicator.

I wouldn't be sorry if Baccus departs. I doubt that he's the sort of player Mombaerts would want, especially with our young brigade knocking on the first-team door.

• Like 1

Just now, fensaddler said:

Anybody get the feeling that we have people in charge who finally understand? This season I think at very least we may enjoy ourselves. We may not win anything, but we'll have an honest crack, and we'll see the youngsters develop. 

Yes, well I do for one. And IMO the appointment of Brad Rowse as CEO could have quite a lot to do with it. Despite what @Dylan says, I have never met the bloke, so I'm not pushing his barrow for him, but it seems to me that since he became CEO we have made and are making changes that reflect at least some of what City and old Heart fans have been asking for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Anybody get the feeling that we have people in charge who finally understand? This season I think at very least we may enjoy ourselves. We may not win anything, but we'll have an honest crack, and we'll see the youngsters develop. 

Yes! Especially if smaller details as the colour red on the training and game kits are confirmed. Embrace the past and build the future.

This season feels different, with the changes to membership seating and early player signings.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

It certainly sounds that way but I have heard a lot of things over the years. I will remain dubious until I actually see it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, well I do for one. And IMO the appointment of Brad Rowse as CEO could have quite a lot to do with it. Despite what @Dylan says, I have never met the bloke, so I'm not pushing his barrow for him, but it seems to me that since he became CEO we have made and are making changes that reflect at least some of what City and old Heart fans have been asking for.

Bob Latchford = Brad Rowse

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If that's the case, why was Munn was out of it then? Was he bad at his job? Was he too soft and never stood up for his decisions?

• jw1739 pinned this topic