Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

8 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Defender looks solid enough big shame about Bart to be honest love that big bastard ! 

Hopefully Richard is half as good as him and we're all good

100% agree. Bart deserves to be playing at a higher level but he will be missed!

Birra

Galloway Windbichler Delbo Jamo

Griffiths Genreau

Luna

Cabrera Jmac Noone

Bouza Wales Berenguer Najjar Najaarine Baccus Metcalfe Good Atkinson Iannuci

Pretty good imo. I reckon Good will resign with us, Bratts unlikely. Another 8 would be the only gap to plug imo, although between Griff, Genreau, Baccus and Metcalfe we have some decent 6/8 options. Will need to be an Aussie.

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Birra

Galloway Windbichler Delbo Jamo

Griffiths Genreau

Luna

Cabrera Jmac Noone

Bouza Wales Berenguer Najjar Najaarine Baccus Metcalfe Good Atkinson Iannuci

Pretty good imo. I reckon Good will resign with us, Bratts unlikely. Another 8 would be the only gap to plug imo, although between Griff, Genreau, Baccus and Metcalfe we have some decent 6/8 options. Will need to be an Aussie.

Good team.  Suspect we should not forget Idris on the list of potential subs.  I think and hope we'll see something of him this season.

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Assuming Luna and Cabrera are signings, yes, seems like it. And if one is a marquee, then that's both of those spots too.

What do we know about these guys? Are they marquee worthy, perhaps a little underwhelming for a marquee? Still not the big name we might to bring this club back on track and get the excitement back. Unless we explore the guest player rule. 

Just now, Mr MO said:

What do we know about these guys? Are they marquee worthy, perhaps a little underwhelming for a marquee? Still not the big name we might to bring this club back on track and get the excitement back. Unless we explore the guest player rule. 

To answer your question, I guess I'm like most on here, I know very little, other than the speculation that one of these in good enough to be marquee-worthy. As for big names, I'm cautious, as big names haven't always performed on the pitch, or added long term numbers to our crowd. I'd rather players who were good, if unknown, who create an exciting and entertaining blend on the pitch. I suspect it will be good performances week in, week out, that will get seats filled.

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

To answer your question, I guess I'm like most on here, I know very little, other than the speculation that one of these in good enough to be marquee-worthy. As for big names, I'm cautious, as big names haven't always performed on the pitch, or added long term numbers to our crowd. I'd rather players who were good, if unknown, who create an exciting and entertaining blend on the pitch. I suspect it will be good performances week in, week out, that will get seats filled.

We have never really exploided the big name route have we? I don't recall any big name under 30 thirty, who can play week in and week out, carry the team etc - we just didn't spend the money on it.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We have never really exploided the big name route have we? I don't recall any big name under 30 thirty, who can play week in and week out, carry the team etc - we just didn't spend the money on it.

No A League club ever has had a big name under 30. Its financially impossible for most clubs, and for us to spend that sort of money on a player. it'd be worth more than our whole club! 

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No A League club ever has had a big name under 30. Its financially impossible for most clubs, and for us to spend that sort of money on a player. it'd be worth more than our whole club! 

True, how about a big name player over 30 who can play week in and week out, carry the team etc.... have we ever had that? I still think we are maintaining the CFG business model, meaning that all these transfer free overseas players, are possibly brought in to onsell in some seasons - the hidden gem type or become a bargain and bring the team forward.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

True, how about a big name player over 30 who can play week in and week out, carry the team etc.... have we ever had that? I still think we are maintaining the CFG business model, meaning that all these transfer free overseas players, are possibly brought in to onsell in some seasons - the hidden gem type or become a bargain and bring the team forward.

Cahill is the only real candidate i think.

I think the commercial reality is that we have to pay overs for those sort of players because we are competing with ridiculous money from China and the MLS and their vastly better marketing budgets. The reason we get players on free's is because to 'buy' a player it costs you at least half a mil before you even think about wages, which to convince a player to come here thats good enough to be marquee has to be on decent coin anyway. 
City was one of three A League clubs to utilise both marquee slots last season. Given that all clubs bar MV generally run at a loss each year, that to me says the clubs can't afford it generally and that we are one of the luckier ones that we are getting some investment at all. Can we afford more when you look at our owners? Yeh sure, but we're also an operating black hole financially atm, in spite of the odd on-sells we have got on a couple of occasions. We're effectively relying on capital gains to turn a profit at the moment, the actual business is making a loss like all the other clubs.
CFG believe Melbourne has to be a viable business in its own right, i think that's quite clear. Where they help out is they can facilitate us for investment to grow the club. The other clubs aren't so lucky.

• Like 3

Metcalfe to establish himself in the XI this year. Put it on Bullshit Watch

58 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Cahill is the only real candidate i think.

I think the commercial reality is that we have to pay overs for those sort of players because we are competing with ridiculous money from China and the MLS and their vastly better marketing budgets. The reason we get players on free's is because to 'buy' a player it costs you at least half a mil before you even think about wages, which to convince a player to come here thats good enough to be marquee has to be on decent coin anyway. 
City was one of three A League clubs to utilise both marquee slots last season. Given that all clubs bar MV generally run at a loss each year, that to me says the clubs can't afford it generally and that we are one of the luckier ones that we are getting some investment at all. Can we afford more when you look at our owners? Yeh sure, but we're also an operating black hole financially atm, in spite of the odd on-sells we have got on a couple of occasions. We're effectively relying on capital gains to turn a profit at the moment, the actual business is making a loss like all the other clubs.
CFG believe Melbourne has to be a viable business in its own right, i think that's quite clear. Where they help out is they can facilitate us for investment to grow the club. The other clubs aren't so lucky.

This. No way this league can compete with the likes of China, MLS and even Japan now. Only way it could happen is if an Aleague club gets lucky and they find a player that wants to play in Aus rather than taking the biggest pay check.  Selling the lifestyle can only take you so far.

TBH if CFG were to pump more money in, id rather it be spent on facilities. Players come and go but the infrastructure stays. Makes us look and feel like a proper club too rather than what Victory do and ship all there teams around Melbourne and hire facilities for the mens team.

Edited by Dylan

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

This. No way this league can compete with the likes of China, MLS and even Japan now. Only way it could happen is if an Aleague club gets lucky and they find a player that wants to play in Aus rather than taking the biggest pay check.  Selling the lifestyle can only take you so far.

All true!

But of course we shouldn’t act like the club couldn’t have done better with the marquee placements. If other clubs like Victory or Sydney can do it. 

I’m excited about Metcalf and Genrau this year.

Edited by Mr MO

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I would have bought the lifestyle factor a few years ago, but not now. China I'd be wary of, but the U.S. and Japan offer lifestyles at least equal to our own. Melbourne is not as "marvellous" as it used to be IMO. Too big and too many people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

What's your point? 

I knew you were going to jump onto this haha!

The club just replaces Bart with another visa CB. Many on here have the opinion that we have enough quality in Australia for defenders (Bart discussion remember) and believe that the visa/marquee spots should all go to the forward line. 

A visa player in every line is my preference!

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The club just replaces Bart with another visa CB. Many on here have the opinion that we have enough quality in Australia for defenders (Bart discussion) and that the visa/marquee spots should all go to the forward line. 

A visa player in every line is my preference!

Visa and Marquee Visa is different and that is what the debate was about.

Bart as a Marquee Visa was going to be a waste.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic