Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Bart is easily marquee worthy anybody who thinks otherwise clearly undervalues the importance of having a top defender in your team. With Bart we know what we have and given our history of finding attacking marquee players (all flops) I rather stick to Bart - I'm sorry.

seconded

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

So what he's a defender? Positions irrelevant when you have one of the best players in the league.

Clearly the best CB in the league and more than worthy of a marquee contract.

Change my mind

Grand final winners in the past with marquee defenders? 0 as far as I could see. 

Coaches that have won titles in the aleague (your Anges, Arnies etc.)... number of marquee defenders?? 0 as far as I know

Goals conceded last season? No real difference or improvement compared to the team's above us. Compared to what an attacker of equal standing in the league as Bart as a defender?? I choose the striker of equal standing every day. 

Australia's stock in defenders compared to strikers or top quality number 10? No comparison. Well documented even at NT level that we can't produce top strikers. Point here is we have many strong defenders to choose from. 

Last season? Proved no matter how well you defend scoring goals is key for entertainment, winning, basically everything. This teams priority needs to be attack. 

This forum? The whinging about how defensive we have been over 2 seasons. Granted Joyce the main issue. But now we want a marquee defender after all that? Pot. Kettle. Black. 

I've got more if you want it... 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Grand final winners in the past with marquee defenders? 0 as far as I could see. 

Coaches that have won titles in the aleague (your Anges, Arnies etc.)... number of marquee defenders?? 0 as far as I know

Goals conceded last season? No real difference or improvement compared to the team's above us. Compared to what an attacker of equal standing in the league as Bart as a defender?? I choose the striker of equal standing every day. 

Australia's stock in defenders compared to strikers or top quality number 10? No comparison. Well documented even at NT level that we can't produce top strikers. Point here is we have many strong defenders to choose from. 

Last season? Proved no matter how well you defend scoring goals is key for entertainment, winning, basically everything. This teams priority needs to be attack. 

This forum? The whinging about how defensive we have been over 2 seasons. Granted Joyce the main issue. But now we want a marquee defender after all that? Pot. Kettle. Black. 

As far as defenders and quality goes he is marquee standard. Youd have to be daft not to agree with that. Understand this is different to wanting him to take up a marquee spot though. For the above mentioned reasons. 

Sense is rare in these parts

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, n i k o said:

No, want Bart as marquee plus a quality attacking marquee. Nothing wrong with that.

We have made mistake by making Mclaren marquee.

It would be nice to have a marquee in every line. Marquee CB won't fit  into salary cap driven by wining silverware ambitions. Besides, leave the coach aside, what defensive league records did we achieve last season. Four other clubs did better overall without having Bart and RDL calibre of defenders. Next topic please. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

No, want Bart as marquee plus a quality attacking marquee. Nothing wrong with that.

We have made mistake by making Mclaren marquee.

I've given adequate reasons I feel as to why not. Show me some sort of proof in the league as to why this is a winning formula...

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I've given adequate reasons I feel as to why not. Show me some sort of proof in the league as to why this is a winning formula...

Bart himself over the last 2 years is enough proof for me. You are missing the point a little. Your points are valid but don’t really counter what I’m trying to say. All I want is that we build the best possible squad and I would like Bart to be part of that.

You even mention that we can’t produce top Australian strikers but you seem to accept that an average striker like mclaren is marquee (wasted spot in my opinion) With Jamie being marquee we have only one spot left and we are almost forced to use it on another forward player to feed to JM. As a result we are unable to keep the best defender in the league on our books - do you see where we have it wrong? 

Last year we had it wrong as Bart is marquee level we wasted that spot on another defender.

Anyhow, just a different opinion on how to build the best possible squad.

Edited by Mr MO

Bruno was a marquee striker and golden boot winner, Maclaren is also a golden boot winner, let's see if he is good enough for his marquee status with a good manager. Time will tell.

Niko brought up valid impartial FACTS against Bart being a marquee which really does illustrate a marquee defender is not part of the season winning formula, where a marquee at the other end of the pitch is.

Hard to argue against tbh and so far the club seems to be investing wisely at the right end of the pitch where even the rumours make sense.

If Bart leaves then I think Good and RoboCop are more than capable to hold the defence.

21 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Bruno was a marquee striker and golden boot winner, Maclaren is also a golden boot winner, let's see if he is good enough for his marquee status with a good manager. Time will tell.

Niko brought up valid impartial FACTS against Bart being a marquee which really does illustrate a marquee defender is not part of the season winning formula, where a marquee at the other end of the pitch is.

Hard to argue against tbh and so far the club seems to be investing wisely at the right end of the pitch where even the rumours make sense.

If Bart leaves then I think Good and RoboCop are more than capable to hold the defence.

Good is off contract as well, Bart and Good will be free agents by 1st of July 

Adrian Luna has apparently signed with the club. Waiting to travel to Australia now. Tansfermarkt lists him as a right sided winger, but I've also read that he is an attacking midfielder. Tansfermarkt's value of him is also more than double that of Cabrera, so I'd assume he is a marquee.

Edited by Andrew Edmonds
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Adrian Luna has apparently signed with the club. Waiting to travel to Australia now. Tansfermrket lists him as a right sided winger, but I've also read that he is an attacking midfielder. Tansfermrket's value of him is also more than double that of Cabrera, so I'd assume he is a marquee.

Wikipedia describes him as an attacking midfielder, although anyone can edit that, but I would guess that may be accurate in this case.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Adrian Luna has apparently signed with the club. Waiting to travel to Australia now. Tansfermarkt lists him as a right sided winger, but I've also read that he is an attacking midfielder. Tansfermarkt's value of him is also more than double that of Cabrera, so I'd assume he is a marquee.

Sauce?

26 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

After Waz spending a whole season getting rid of South Americans

• Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic