Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

34 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

If Craig noone & Javier Cabrera are wingers then dont tell me we are going to use Florin as the AM and not use that position for a creative marquee?

IMO Florin will be the first back up for all three of those positions, and not first choice in any. That's not a bad backup plan imo, esp if he goes on with it a bit like some of us expect after is last 4-5 weeks of the season.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IMO Florin will be the first back up for all three of those positions, and not first choice in any. That's not a bad backup plan imo, esp if he goes on with it a bit like some of us expect after is last 4-5 weeks of the season.

Having a Visa as first backup is the first step in another failed season.

I understand Florin has another year on his contract and some visa players have improved in their second seasons, but to me it's pointless having a Visa on the bench or possibly not in the matchday squad because he either isn't good enough or we already have better options that have come in since. 

So for me, we shouldn't sign this Uruguayan dude and bench Florin. Let Florin Noone and Wales battle for the 2 wide spots.

Now all this is based on us getting a Marquee #10, which on here gets mentioned almost as much as colour red.

Edited by Jovan

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I understand Florin has another year on his contract and some visa players have improved in their second seasons, but to me it's pointless having a Visa on the bench or possibly not in the matchday squad because he either isn't good enough or we already have better options that have come in since. 

So for me, we shouldn't sign this Uruguayan dude and bench Florin. Let Florin Noone and Wales battle for the 2 wide spots.

Now all this is based on us getting a Marquee #10, which on here gets mentioned almost as much as colour red.

Florin won't be playing wide this season though. He'll be the number 8 or 10.

49 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Hmm not sure i agree with that tbh. Indeed many of the better sides over the past few years havent even had 5 visas so if we have a starting XI with 4 and then one sits on the bench im not too fussed provided its not taking up an excessive chunk of the cap. Which for mine i don't think Florin is.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm not sure i agree with that tbh. Indeed many of the better sides over the past few years havent even had 5 visas so if we have a starting XI with 4 and then one sits on the bench im not too fussed provided its not taking up an excessive chunk of the cap. Which for mine i don't think Florin is.

Look if we get 4 quality visas, Bart/Bruno level then I would be over the moon. The odds are though at least 1 and more likely 2 won't suit, add Florin and we are looking a bit average. 

I'm hoping we get a couple city loanees tbh.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that Berenguer will be much improved next season.

The guy suits the 8 or 10 role and playing under a French manager who can speak his language and who actually understands the tactical side of the game will be a huge help. 

I’m pretty confident in Mombaerts getting the best out of Berenguer. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The guy suits the 8 or 10 role and playing under a French manager who can speak his language and who actually understands the tactical side of the game will be a huge help. 

That's where my thinking is. Second season, used to the pitches and conditions, playing in his preferred position, manager suits him and speaks his language, and that on top of much improved form towards the end of last season. We could see a different and much better player. And meanwhile we've got a marquee to come. 

5 hours ago, Bob Latchford said:

Florin won't be playing wide this season though. He'll be the number 8 or 10.

Come on Bob, who’s your source and club relative? 

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

If he stays on his feet, actually hits the ball instead of showing his airswing ability plus aims on target than we will see a much improved player. Let’s hope so!

Come on people, this is exactly the same discussions we had with Koren. 

For this reason or that reason he'll come good. 

You can't polish a turd, this bloke struggled with the basic fundamentals,  and hoping won't change anything. 

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You can't polish a turd, this bloke struggled with the basic fundamentals,  and hoping won't change anything. 

Thought he showed some great signs when he was played in a his favoured central position. Also with Joyce ball attacking players struggled to make an impact at all, I think Florin definitely deserved a chance under the new gaffer.

3 minutes ago, dconder13 said:

Thought he showed some great signs when he was played in a his favoured central position. Also with Joyce ball attacking players struggled to make an impact at all, I think Florin definitely deserved a chance under the new gaffer.

True, he deserves a chance but he isn’t a local player he is a visa player and they shouldn’t have to be nurtured and protected.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

True, he deserves a chance but he isn’t a local player he is a visa player and they shouldn’t have to be nurtured and protected.

I'm sure he'll get the same chance to prove himself as all the other players, whether or not Mombaerts is the new Manager. But he won't get a greater chance just because he's a visa player. I saw all the home matches, and IMO he played quite well in a couple, but overall he really didn't deserve to be in the side. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm sure he'll get the same chance to prove himself as all the other players, whether or not Mombaerts is the new Manager. But he won't get a greater chance just because he's a visa player. I saw all the home matches, and IMO he played quite well in a couple, but overall he really didn't deserve to be in the side. 

You are right. What I really meant is that visa players shouldn’t come here to develop their game, they should lift the side from day one. He is better suited in a central position but regardless of the position his finishing and balance is a worry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr MO said:

You are right. What I really meant is that visa players shouldn’t come here to develop their game, they should lift the side from day one. He is better suited in a central position but regardless of the position his finishing and balance is a worry. 

He has never been a good finisher though. Look at his goal numbers. They have always been low. If we brought him in to score goals we were silly.  

He’s more of a playmaker.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jovan said:

I'm with you. Florin only possibility will be that he will only come good through a great coach. 

14 minutes ago, citypool said:

He was always a underwhelming signing a player from the second division in France meanwhile other clubs are getting guys from the top Dutch league 

I get the feeling that our more recent overseas signings are rather like buying shares on the stockmarket. We're going for players who we think are undervalued in their existing situation - and who we assess as capable at a higher level. Harry Novillo, who wasn't even a regular in Ligue 2 when we picked him up, is a perfect example of getting it right.

If you look at the other A-League clubs there are plenty of examples of other clubs getting it wrong. It's not just City.

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I get the feeling that our more recent overseas signings are rather like buying shares on the stockmarket. We're going for players who we think are undervalued in their existing situation - and who we assess as capable at a higher level. Harry Novillo, who wasn't even a regular in Ligue 2 when we picked him up, is a perfect example of getting it right.

If you look at the other A-League clubs there are plenty of examples of other clubs getting it wrong. It's not just City.

Our scouts must read alot of Benjamin Graham.

IMO we'll get some news and confirmations - both on players and on our next manager in the next fortnight. Training is supposed to start "early July" (Brisbane start on the 1st July, just as an example) and we also have the membership rollover on 1st July, so I think they'll want to get some announcements out soon and some feet on the Bundoora turf.

Edited by jw1739

On 6/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, jw1739 said:

yep not enough is done to sign players who have resale values, as well as signing players to contracts where we actually receive a transfer value. 

Like Id be fine with losing Bart if it meant we got a fee for him

Brattan has been fantastic for us but if we're going to bring in a genuine #10 we'll need someone more mobile and better defensively to sit behind him to allow him the freedom to find pockets of space.

O'Neill and Brillante are the perfect foil to allow Ninkovic to be the player that he is, I don't think Bratts suits that role.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Brattan has been fantastic for us but if we're going to bring in a genuine #10 we'll need someone more mobile and better defensively to sit behind him to allow him the freedom to find pockets of space.

O'Neill and Brillante are the perfect foil to allow Ninkovic to be the player that he is, I don't think Bratts suits that role.

Ninkovic actually played on the wing this season. We have Baccus and Griffiths in those holding midfielder roles. I think for the money Brattan wants we should be able to get something more creative.

If we want a clean start unfortunately players like Bratten can let go or not renewed too.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Rubbish. He's a defender. He shouldn't be marquee. 

You know what is interesting, our best players over the last 2 seasons have be defensive players which probably reflects our manager's  attacking incompetence more than anything.

I am struggling to gauge the quality of any player over the last two seasons. Not saying that Bart wasn't good, but how much of it was as a result of our mid field attacking lethargy and our manager's 'start the attack from the back' tactics that saw the defenders get a bulk of possession.

I agree though, he is good enough to be a marquee but we shouldn't give that spot to a CB.

Edited by playmaker

23 hours ago, n i k o said:

Rubbish. He's a defender. He shouldn't be marquee. 

So what he's a defender? Positions irrelevant when you have one of the best players in the league.

Clearly the best CB in the league and more than worthy of a marquee contract.

Change my mind

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

So what he's a defender? Positions irrelevant when you have one of the best players in the league.

Clearly the best CB in the league and more than worthy of a marquee contract.

Change my mind

Couldn't agree more. If we could get him on a marquee i'd take him in a heartbeat. He'll save as many goals as any attacking marquee will score. 

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bart is easily marquee worthy anybody who thinks otherwise clearly undervalues the importance of having a top defender in your team. With Bart we know what we have and given our history of finding attacking marquee players (all flops) I rather stick to Bart - I'm sorry.

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic