Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

7 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Not worth 2 bucks. Will only take a youth players spot, you know the ones that we can't keep. 

Yep thats obviously the dilemma. Tbf there's no rule that says he has to be played over the kids, that just seems to be a default mentality many seem to have.
If you could get him around minimum wage, maybe he's a good squaddie to have as he can play anywhere across that front three if someone gets injured. Couldn't have both Burns and Dario in the squad though imo, so i suspect the answer is we keep Dario and pass on Burns.

8 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Nathan Burns gone at Wellington. 

Any good for us? 

If we can Quantum Leap back to 2015 when he understood that the aluminium thing with the net was where the ball is meant to go. Most rapid decline of any player I can remember, can see his options being the Mariners or NPL, not many clubs would take a risk on a 31y.o winger who's scored 3 goals in the last 4 seasons.

6 minutes ago, citypool said:

I’m not being funny but is there anyone within the club we as fans could talk to about players to sign? We’re a small club in a small league surely it wouldn’t be the worst thing to do to help the club 

Tbf i reckon the last time the club did that we ended up with Michael Mifsud :tooth:

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yep thats obviously the dilemma. Tbf there's no rule that says he has to be played over the kids, that just seems to be a default mentality many seem to have.
If you could get him around minimum wage, maybe he's a good squaddie to have as he can play anywhere across that front three if someone gets injured. Couldn't have both Burns and Dario in the squad though imo, so i suspect the answer is we keep Dario and pass on Burns.

My point being old squadies was our problem this year. They take up a spot regardless wither they play or not. At one stage our bench was full of squadies. Metcalfe Najjarime Pierias najjar etc all sitting in the stands. Even at one stage Atkinson Mcgree and Wales either out or on the bench. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

My point being old squadies was our problem this year. They take up a spot regardless wither they play or not. At one stage our bench was full of squadies. Metcalfe Najjarime Pierias najjar etc all sitting in the stands. Even at one stage Atkinson Mcgree and Wales either out or on the bench. 

Disagree tbh. Our problem was either picking squaddies when we shouldnt have, or the kids not being good enough to push them out. Having a fall back option doesnt mean you have to play them.
Dario and La Rocca were really the only squad players we carried this year imo, and in La Rocca's case i though he was a good one to have. Dario injured and struggled to fire.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Disagree tbh. Our problem was either picking squaddies when we shouldnt have, or the kids not being good enough to push them out. Having a fall back option doesnt mean you have to play them.
Dario and La Rocca were really the only squad players we carried this year imo, and in La Rocca's case i though he was a good one to have. Dario injured and struggled to fire.

The problem with mature-aged squaddies such as La Rocca, Vidosic and Griffiths is that they take too much of the salary cap for very little return to the club. Even if the youth players are not quite at the squaddie level IMO they are a better investment because they come at a lower cost - in some cases much lower  - and they still have potential to develop.

• Like 1

There is nothing Dario did this season that Najjarine or Najjar couldn't provide for a fraction of the cost. LaRocca wasn't needed once Good signed and proved his fitness. Griffiths was hot and cold, much like all our midfield, but think he's a far far better player than Baccus.

FWIW i dont think Griffiths was signed as a squaddie in the normal sense, and Dario was really a carryover from the year before so prob wasnt either

A squaddie imo is a cheapish, usually older player that can fill a role, but isnt a kid. Look at Rose, Muscat, La Rocca, Velaphi, Trefiro for example. The whole point that differentiates a squaddie from a signing is the money and role you expect them to play.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

FWIW i dont think Griffiths was signed as a squaddie in the normal sense, and Dario was really a carryover from the year before so prob wasnt either

A squaddie imo is a cheapish, usually older player that can fill a role, but isnt a kid. Look at Rose, Muscat, La Rocca, Velaphi, Trefiro for example. The whole point that differentiates a squaddie from a signing is the money and role you expect them to play.

The whole Griffiths idea fell apart when Wazza fell in love with the strange signing of Baccus. 

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Tbf Baccus was reasonable early on. When he secured a permanent contract he dropped.

To be fair? Griffiths got hired in the offseason byJoyce and Baccus just before round 1 I believe.

I'm not talking about the drop in form here, contracting Baccus stuffed up our salary cap and recruitment for a balanced team. We were stuck with 2 adult players on decent wages for the same position. One biggest reason the season failed.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

To be fair? Griffiths got hired in the offseason byJoyce and Baccus just before round 1 I believe.

I'm not talking about the drop in form here, contracting Baccus stuffed up our salary cap and recruitment for a balanced team. We were stuck with adult players on decent wages for the same position. One biggest reasons the season failed.

Griffiths was announced on 19th July 2018. Baccus was announced as an injury replacement on 12th October 2018, and on a permanent contract on 8th January 2019. Baccus' form dropped immediately he went on to a permanent contract.

Griffiths barely featured in the team until the Christmas Derby. Before that he'd featured in 7 of the 8 matches but maximum time on the field 22 minutes.

We unloaded Caceres 2nd January, O'Halloran 8th January, Malik 24th January.

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Since it's been radio silence about City since Joyce got sacked, it has been a good reminder of what the offseason is really like: sitting around, waiting for a sniff of a transfer rumour.

What's also going to be strange is that the bulk of the squad is already locked in. 

For me my main interest will be on firstly the new coach. Then what happens with Brattan and Bart, and depending on them what new visa/marquee will come in. 

So instead of 10 to 15 big announcements as usually maybe only 5 or so. 

Ultimately the off-season and my interest will depend on the Coach.

Just putting it out there, do we have any chance of getting in Arteta. From what I've read recently he is highly regarded and tipped to be a future replacement to Pep, do we have any chance of getting him for a few seasons and if so would he be still too raw. 

I really hope we start to sort our shit together and it all starts with the Coach.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What's also going to be strange is that the bulk of the squad is already locked in. 

For me my main interest will be on firstly the new coach. Then what happens with Brattan and Bart, and depending on them what new visa/marquee will come in. 

So instead of 10 to 15 big announcements as usually maybe only 5 or so. 

Ultimately the off-season and my interest will depend on the Coach.

Just putting it out there, do we have any chance of getting in Arteta. From what I've read recently he is highly regarded and tipped to be a future replacement to Pep, do we have any chance of getting him for a few seasons and if so would he be still too raw. 

I really hope we start to sort our shit together and it all starts with the Coach.

I was thinking about Arteta the other day. It’s very unlikely though. He has to have a crack somewhere but I think this would be too great a step down. He’s highly regarded so he’d be able to get a proper job at a good level.

Also, at a guess we’ve got at least three foreigners to come in and whoever we retain out of Bart, Good, Brattan and Vidosic. 

So we really won’t see that much activity as you said, except for those three or potentially four foreign signings.

Arteta as player-coach... load his wages so he's under the cap...

Seriously, who is there in the coaching ranks at Manchester City who could be given a start here in Melbourne? Brian Kidd is too senior really. But there must be someone in the youth set-up.

“There’s been a good reason for every signing. We’ve looked at hundreds of players and we’ve picked the ones we’ve thought would buy into the philosophy, culture and style of the club.

But any visa players we bring in will need to be better than what we’ve got and will need to bring something different."

Western United's assistant manager John Anastasiadis' recent comments on visa signings.
This is where we've fallen over since signing Fornaroli and Novillo really, not overwhelmingly better than our Australian contingent and definitely not offering enough of a point of difference (not including Schenkeveld obviously who is a talisman).

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

“There’s been a good reason for every signing. We’ve looked at hundreds of players and we’ve picked the ones we’ve thought would buy into the philosophy, culture and style of the club.

But any visa players we bring in will need to be better than what we’ve got and will need to bring something different."

Western United's assistant manager John Anastasiadis' recent comments on visa signings.
This is where we've fallen over since signing Fornaroli and Novillo really, not overwhelmingly better than our Australian contingent and definitely not offering enough of a point of difference (not including Schenkeveld obviously who is a talisman).

It's clear he reads this Forum closely.

12 minutes ago, Nate said:

I think you’re being harsh on Petrillo.

Berenguer fits our philosophy, culture and style of underperformance, mediocrity and laziness perfectly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Arteta as player-coach... load his wages so he's under the cap...

Seriously, who is there in the coaching ranks at Manchester City who could be given a start here in Melbourne? Brian Kidd is too senior really. But there must be someone in the youth set-up.

No more youth coaches please.

1 hour ago, Nate said:

So a bloke who hasn't played football in a year fits this how? Every club parrots this exact line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

What is this article? A Western United coach making comments on City visa signings?

Edited by Mr MO

32 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Baumjohann is in talks with some clubs. 

I’d take him for a season depending on salary.

I reckon he would be very hard to stop with better players around him. He is a seriously good passer and could work well with Maclaren. 

Agree, I thought he was good.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I reckon he would be very hard to stop with better players around him. He is a seriously good passer and could work well with Maclaren. 

From what I saw of him he doesn't work hard the other way. 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Nothing against him, but I'd rather see us use our overseas scouting network to find an uncut diamond whom we can call our own.

27 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

quality player, can play the killer pass all day, id take him any day. worth giving him a chance, the wanderers really inhibited his ability i think

Well he passed it Kamau, set him in front of goals several times - obviously no goals were scored. Jamie will kill those balls, I’m just worried about Baumjohan passing it to Floperin.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

From what I saw of him he doesn't work hard the other way. 

That doesn’t matter we’ve got plenty of DM’s, you need to give a skilled player like him the freedom to roam forward.

Edited by Mr MO

Baumjohann would be lethal threading balls to Maclaren, similar to Mooy opening up defences for Bruno's runs. Poor bloke was opening up defences for fun, but WSW attackers had no idea when or where to make their runs, but he definitely needs 2 hard working central midfielders behind him. If we could piss Frenchy off, pick up 2 foreign wingers and keep Bort I'd be stoked.

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic