Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Don't see how Milligan would be a bad signing tbh - only questionable element would be if signed as a marquee. 

The guy is still probably capable of representing the Socceroos, and can play centre mid or centre back. 

Plus it's not like he's ever acted like Berisha or Muscunt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Could CFG be dumb enough?

Yes they could as this is what I would expect from Petrillo.  Can't believe he is still there with all the stuff ups season after season.

2 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Don't see how Milligan would be a bad signing tbh

Come on man, our club needs to move on from crap like this. Bart destroys this guy in every respect and plus we need a marquee central attacking playmaker and not a defender.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Don't see how Milligan would be a bad signing tbh - only questionable element would be if signed as a marquee. 

The guy is still probably capable of representing the Socceroos, and can play centre mid or centre back. 

Plus it's not like he's ever acted like Berisha or Muscunt

That would be a very poor unambitious signing, he's is over the top of his career, ex victory captain, money grabber - can't believe people even consider this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Come on man, our club needs to move on from crap like this. Bart destroys this guy in every respect and plus we need a marquee central attacking playmaker and not a defender.

Check my post again, I never said to sign him as a marquee - in fact that's the part that I said would be questionable (being blunt; that would shit me) 

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That would be a very poor unambitious signing, he's is over the top of his career, ex victory captain, money grabber - can't believe people even consider this.

Milligan was Socceroos captain at the Asian Cup (4 months ago). 

He's just played at Hibs in the SPL, where the average wage (particularly when a player is at a club other than Celtic) is on par with the a league. 

So, how is he a bad deal / not worth considering should he be signed under the cap? 

17 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Check my post again, I never said to sign him as a marquee - in fact that's the part that I said would be questionable (being blunt; that would shit me) 

He's just played at Hibs in the SPL, where the average wage (particularly when a player is at a club other than Celtic) is on par with the a league. 

So, how is he a bad deal / not worth considering should he be signed under the cap? 

Bart is six years younger, made the A-League Team of the Season, and we're saying try and hang on to him in preference to considering Milligan. The club has indicated it wants to keep Bart (and Curtis Good) and is negotiating with those two players.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Bart is six years younger, made the A-League Team of the Season, and we're saying try and hang on to him in preference to considering Milligan. The club has indicated it wants to keep Bart (and Curtis Good) and is negotiating with those two players.

Indeed. That's where we should be putting money for defenders. Known quality. Keep the best of what we gave, and put our efforts into attacking options. 

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Beause he is a Victory man and leaves every second year when he can earn $10 more. I want us to come with our own players and not this recycling shit. He won't be cheap either.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It would fair to say all forum users (myself included) want Bort to stay and should be the first priority.

I'm in full agreement there (and frankly have not posted anything to contrary). 

Given his ability and versatility (particularly where his current midfield disposition is different to what Bort and Good do), I don't think signing Milligan should be treated so out of hand as some on here are saying. A few things would need to occur (ie being inside the cap) but doesn't make a deal untenable 

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Beause he is a Victory man and leaves every second year when he can earn $10 more. I want us to come with our own players and this recycling shit. He won't be cheap either.

It would great if we played more of our youngsters and gave them a greater chance to succeed. The fact we have only player with 100 appearances (Williams) and two would be considered somewhat genuine youth team players with over 50 games (Kalmar and Retre) speaks volumes to our clubs inability to keep (and produce) first team players over the years

One of my biggest frustration with Joyce is that he never really gave our youngsters a consistent chance to shine despite Joyce having a reputation for developing them. I see this as a main cause for Cavallo, Delanov, etc., leaving. 

As for the money side, (a) the club doesn't have to sign him if he wants too much, and (b) the tards got around $1 million last time they sold IIRC. There are things that go our way too you know

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

It would fair to say all forum users (myself included) want Bort to stay and should be the first priority.

I'm in full agreement there (and frankly have not posted anything to contrary). 

Given his ability and versatility (particularly where his current midfield disposition is different to what Bort and Good do), I don't think signing Milligan should be treated so out of hand as some on here are saying. A few things would need to occur (ie being inside the cap) but doesn't make a deal untenable 

That's fine.

I'm very positive about what we appear to be doing so far. We've made it clear that we want to retain 16 players into next season, and that we're negotiating with four of them (Schenkeveld, Good, Brattan and Vidosic) and that the other 12 are under contract. We've signed Galloway, and we've stated publicly that we are focussing on signing attacking players to build the squad. All this actually before existing contracts expire (31st May).

We seem to be quite well organised so far, and I don't recall us being previously so open about what we are doing.

• Like 2

I think the squad consistency and stability message from the Club is just that - a message. 

In reality, there have been four starting XI player departures already, with the potential for seven if we can’t keep Brattan, Bart and Good. 

So this notion that we’re keeping the team together isn’t really accurate. The starting XI will change quite a bit and so it should. It wasn’t anywhere near it. Too similar, too slow, too unimaginative, too workmanlike.  

I’m happy that the club is retaining some players and filling up the senior squad with talented youth but there’s a lot of work to do.

First things first, get a proper manager who understands the game at a tactical level. 

31 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I think the squad consistency and stability message from the Club is just that - a message. 

In reality, there have been four starting XI player departures already, with the potential for seven if we can’t keep Brattan, Bart and Good. 

So this notion that we’re keeping the team together isn’t really accurate. The starting XI will change quite a bit and so it should. It wasn’t anywhere near it. Too similar, too slow, too unimaginative, too workmanlike.  

I’m happy that the club is retaining some players and filling up the senior squad with talented youth but there’s a lot of work to do.

First things first, get a proper manager who understands the game at a tactical level. 

Well yes, but three of those departed players were loans, all from overseas clubs. It probably tells us in passing that we shouldn't have so many loanees.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well yes, but three of those departed players were loans, all from overseas clubs. It probably tells us in passing that we shouldn't have so many loanees.

Yes and I think that loans will be used a bit less if we’re going to focus on squad stability longer-term. 

I think we should loan the odd good player who becomes available and can only be loaned, but the majority of our squad should be contracted to us.

33 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Hoolahan released by WBA after we were linked with him in January. Might go back in for him and don't think he'd break the bank due to his age.

The bloke is 36. 

May as well go in for his sister "hot lips".

• Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic