Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

51 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

So if you had 22 senior contracted players 8 of which were so called youth then having 14 senior players is not enough??

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Plus they all play on different positions pretty much - why couldn't these youth players be on a senior contract in the 22 squad and act as back up.

Numerically yes of course it is. But IMO it's far too early to be settling the whole squad - 5 months before the season starts. Do that, and the next minute people will be whinging that so-and-so has just become available and we should have waited before filling the squad.

2 hours ago, citypool said:

If Bart leaves we should go for Luke devere who is available. Then we’d have devere, good and delbridge as centre backs 

No thanks, is always injured. If it was me and we wanted to a aussie CB I'd try and poach one of Perths. Spiranovic, Lowry, Mrcela or Grant 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

As in Jamie M?

I think that's who he means. Can't see it happening myself. Possibly if he receives an offer from overseas? Interesting, though, that the club has said that it is targeting attacking players in its recruitment.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that's who he means. Can't see it happening myself. Possibly if he receives an offer from overseas? Interesting, though, that the club has said that it is targeting attacking players in its recruitment.

Why do you find that interesting JW? We are so impotent, we only have Berenguer and some youth players to feed balls. Jamie is a tap in king and good finisher but doesn’t create his own chances - we need quality around him and we lack that at the moment. FEED the MAC!!!

• Like 1

I have heard a rumour that our new coach will be John Van 't Schip (the second coming).

Of course John still has unfinished business with the club in terms of winning a premiership under his stewardship and he has coached at a high level in the Netherlands with Pec Zwolle. He also has family links with Australia.

Getting John back would/will be a positive in the coaching ranks compared to the last few years.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/exclusive-vant-schips-plans-for-2019-517607

TheStig

ps I'm the one starting the rumour :) Get the rauw haring ready.

I expect to see this totally unsubstantiated rumour in the HS tomorrow.

Edited by TheStig
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheStig said:

I have heard a rumour that our new coach will be John Van 't Schip (the second coming).

Of course John still has unfinished business with the club in terms of winning a premiership under his stewardship and he has coached at a high level in the Netherlands with Pec Zwolle. He also has family links with Australia.

Getting John back would/will be a positive in the coaching ranks compared to the last few years.

TheStig

Welcome back Johnny!

That article was dated January 2019. It would not surprise me at all to find that JvS has enquired about returning. He would know what is happening in the club directly via DvS.

Maybe he should replace Petrillo rather than Joyce? After all, he recommended Schenkeveld to us, our best player over the past two seasons.

5 hours ago, TheStig said:

TheStig

I think you mean the third coming..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And, assuming Maclaren is on marquee wages, how then could we accommodate Schenkeveld?

I think we try to bend over backwards to fit him in the cap. Even if thats a 3 year 6-700k Troisi/Miersijewski deal and at the sacrifice of a little bit of depth. He's a gun and the best CB in the league.

I dont however think we should use the other marquee slot on him. Even if that means letting him go. Happy to be shown otherwise, but i dont reckon there's been an A League premier or champion with a marquee CB to date, and he's a player we've had under the cap for two years with other marquees and still not made a GF with. He's bloody good, but he's already an ingredient we've got, not the magic one we dont.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Schenkeveld is gone and frenchy will take bruno's marquee spot. Please dont ask me to repeat myself lol.

Assuming your information is correct, that would purely be an exercise in salary cap management.

If we moved him out of the cap, we'd just be bringing in another foreigner under the cap who's presumably on a similar wage to Florin. 

It does rule out a big, big marquee though. 

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

He's bloody good, but he's already an ingredient we've got, not the magic one we don't.

As much as I love Bart and rate him as the best defender in the league, we don't need him to win the title. 

Galloway/Good/Delbridge/Jamieson in front of Bouzanis/Birighitti wins us a title IMO.

But we'd need to find a pretty good midfielder to compensate. Someone who can basically control the tempo of the game and create plenty of chances. 

A quick, goalscoring winger would complete our team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

As much as I love Bart and rate him as the best defender in the league, we don't need him to win the title. 

Galloway/Good/Delbridge/Jamieson in front of Bouzanis/Birighitti wins us a title IMO.

But we'd need to find a pretty good midfielder to compensate. Someone who can basically control the tempo of the game and create plenty of chances. 

A quick, goalscoring winger would complete our team.

It's a juggling match. We still have to confirm Galloway, and retain Good before the above applies.

22 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Assuming your information is correct, that would purely be an exercise in salary cap management.

If we moved him out of the cap, we'd just be bringing in another foreigner under the cap who's presumably on a similar wage to Florin. 

It does rule out a big, big marquee though. 

Pls don't take him or anyone that utters that stupid rumor seriously.

• Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic