Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

@Harrison Article 19 of FIFA's "Regulations on the Status and Transfers of Players" refers to "Protection of Minors."

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-on-the-status-and-transfer-of-players-2018-2925437.pdf?cloudid=c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g

International transfers are not permitted until a player attains the age of 18, with three exceptions, the only one of which applies to Australia is that the player's parents also move to Australia but for reasons other than football.

Worth downloading the whole document for reference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Tbh I actually think the cap will be dramatically relaxed over the off season, even if that means simply increasing the cap by a mil or two. Not based on anything except quotes and bits and pieces here and there.

In which case I think we might be able to offer both a wage that’s enticing enough to stay. RDL I think would stay, but obviously better offers might come up too.

I think the first change will be removing Visa's from the cap. Or at least having 5 players outside cap etc etc.

28 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Why do we think that with removing the cap or making changes to the salary cap, CFG will suddenly have a different approach? I mean we don't want spend the money now in building a trophy winning squad (Return of investment story) so what would change in the future? 

I believe this will happen if there is a break away league. I believe some sort of cap will apply but it'll be a lot more attractive to sign better younger international players to raise the standards of the game. 

Right now there is no insensitive to spend money as prize pools/TV rights/player image rights are in the back pockets of FFA official's!! 

To have the FFA purely hand out a new licence to someone who bowed to their demands financially is an absolute disgrace. The Canberra bid was backed by billionaires from UAE who are ready to walk any in an sort of investment in the future. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Why do we think that with removing the cap or making changes to the salary cap, CFG will suddenly have a different approach? I mean we don't want spend the money now in building a trophy winning squad (Return of investment story) so what would change in the future? 

This.

27 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I believe this will happen if there is a break away league. I believe some sort of cap will apply but it'll be a lot more attractive to sign better younger international players to raise the standards of the game. 

Right now there is no insensitive to spend money as prize pools/TV rights/player image rights are in the back pockets of FFA official's!! 

To have the FFA purely hand out a new licence to someone who bowed to their demands financially is an absolute disgrace. The Canberra bid was backed by billionaires from UAE who are ready to walk any in an sort of investment in the future. 

China and Arab countries  (up until recently) were spending a hell of a lot more on players and yet I don't think that their progress has been as huge as the amount of money spent. Additionally why would CFG or any other billionaire spend so much more as to be disproportionate with the money through merchandise or gate ticket sales? All teh clubs have to do is spend a bit more than say Sydney or Victory. However, when you look at Victory they have a relatively stable club compared to City. Although I loath Muscat credit has to be given to him and teh club for actually winning and being consistently near the top. And Muscat is a better man manager and tactician than Wazza. Arnold is far superior to Wazza and if I look at PG Popovic has effectively the same squad as last season and they are on top. Victory's turnover of players is miniscule compared to City.

So although CFG have built amazing facilities their ability to contract a decent coach is what is letting the Club sink into mediocrity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SF33 said:

But still, if Schenkeveld and De Laet wanted to stay on next season with the proviso that they both wanted marquee contracts (thoroughly deserved, most would agree), wouldn't Maclaren's deal throw a huge spanner in the works there?

(oh and I understand it's a gigantic 'if')

As good as De leat has been we now have Maclaren a proper 9 in our team, I wouldnt want a right back as a marquee. 

Give Bart a marquee contract, and find another gem like him and give him what BS was on.

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

This.

China and Arab countries  (up until recently) were spending a hell of a lot more on players and yet I don't think that their progress has been as huge as the amount of money spent. Additionally why would CFG or any other billionaire spend so much more as to be disproportionate with the money through merchandise or gate ticket sales? All teh clubs have to do is spend a bit more than say Sydney or Victory. However, when you look at Victory they have a relatively stable club compared to City. Although I loath Muscat credit has to be given to him and teh club for actually winning and being consistently near the top. And Muscat is a better man manager and tactician than Wazza. Arnold is far superior to Wazza and if I look at PG Popovic has effectively the same squad as last season and they are on top. Victory's turnover of players is miniscule compared to City.

So although CFG have built amazing facilities their ability to contract a decent coach is what is letting the Club sink into mediocrity.

It's not about spending millions upon millions. It's about raising the Cap to a decent level which A: helps keep the younger generation around longer and B: bringing out players worthy of visa spots rather than washed up 30yo+ players. 

They'll spend the money for a better brand, better football standards, more prize money on offer, better TV rights deals. Raise the standards and people will come. All this equates to more profile over time. 

• Like 1

Spot on. At a stretch, the only risk is he's not up to it and we keep playing him, but you'd have to think that's unlikely.

The probable outcome is that he provides a spark in an area of the field that we desperately need, albeit perhaps he'll have a few endurance issues and the odd brainfart. And there's even a chance that he will tear the league apart. I'd say it's far more likely that when he leaves, we'll be very sorry to see him go than otherwise. Even if he gets injured, we're no worse off than we were. Basically O'Halloran minus the cost of a visa (because presumably it was this or nothing, in terms of a visa signing).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AntiScum said:

It's not about spending millions upon millions. It's about raising the Cap to a decent level which A: helps keep the younger generation around longer and B: bringing out players worthy of visa spots rather than washed up 30yo+ players. 

They'll spend the money for a better brand, better football standards, more prize money on offer, better TV rights deals. Raise the standards and people will come. All this equates to more profile over time. 

But there is no limit to the money spent on a marquee - that figure depends on what the club wants to spend. So in theory you could have Mbappe and Pogba at any A League club if they had the money to buy them. As far as 30yo+ players Keisuke Honda is proving to be an asset even if he is not playing. Bart is a cut above the rest. However, all A-League clubs have had dud overseas players.

The dollar cap affects local players more than anything else. Because lets assume that the cap is increased to $5M, why wouldn't the local players have a pay rise?

As far as keeping the younger generation that is a lesson that would need to be learnt (and I believe that it is). First up is that many believe that by playing in Europe it will be a step up and a career boost but players like Yeboah and many others show otherwise. What is worse is that we keep players too long. That is clubs take the safe way out by having players like Vidosic in their books rather than bring in younger talent (I will admit that Eugene blows that argument).

As for building better brands? That is a marketing function not subject to the cap. Let's face it, when CFG bought Heart most people on this forum thought that this was going to be a boon for the brand/marketing side (play attractive attacking football anyone?) but you only need to look at some of the other pages on this forum to understand that this has not happened.

1 hour ago, neio said:

Absolutely perfect signing I think

What's the worst that can happen? He sucks and we're in the exact same spot we are now

The best? He stars and loves it here, and although he will go back to spurs. Who knows about the future if things don't work out for him in UK

I can't see any downsides to this, its almost a no risk throw at the stumps 

There's a risk with any signing that it doesn't work out - and we've had a few of them already. A couple of loan EDS players from somewhere every season/half a season is fine by me.

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

But there is no limit to the money spent on a marquee - that figure depends on what the club wants to spend. So in theory you could have Mbappe and Pogba at any A League club if they had the money to buy them. As far as 30yo+ players Keisuke Honda is proving to be an asset even if he is not playing. Bart is a cut above the rest. However, all A-League clubs have had dud overseas players.

The dollar cap affects local players more than anything else. Because lets assume that the cap is increased to $5M, why wouldn't the local players have a pay rise?

As far as keeping the younger generation that is a lesson that would need to be learnt (and I believe that it is). First up is that many believe that by playing in Europe it will be a step up and a career boost but players like Yeboah and many others show otherwise. What is worse is that we keep players too long. That is clubs take the safe way out by having players like Vidosic in their books rather than bring in younger talent (I will admit that Eugene blows that argument).

As for building better brands? That is a marketing function not subject to the cap. Let's face it, when CFG bought Heart most people on this forum thought that this was going to be a boon for the brand/marketing side (play attractive attacking football anyone?) but you only need to look at some of the other pages on this forum to understand that this has not happened.

One serious problem I have with the cap is that the total payments to non-marquee players have to be a minimum of 90% of the cap. Together with the limit on visa players and the minimum number of players you must have in the squad this means an automatic pay rise for a number of very ordinary Australian players per club every time the cap is raised.

There's a lot more to it than just raising the salary cap. IMO you either have a free market or you don't.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Gotta increase the minimum wage to 80-90k and increase and then leave Visas out of the Cap IMO

Half the players in the league would be stealing a living.

Min wage, should be the industry standard.

This is ridiculous.

We actually have a great attack and can score goals more freely, and fast capable players who are naturally attacking.

Add this to our solid defence and decent midfield we will be well balanced and a real contender to silverware.

What is wrong with this club? We can't have this.

What will I complain about?

This is bullshit.

Stuff this club I am over it

:(

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, playmaker said:

This is ridiculous.

We actually have a great attack and can score goals more freely, and fast capable players who are naturally attacking.

Add this to our solid defence and decent midfield we will be well balanced and a real contender to silverware.

Given that Dario is now sitting in the naughty corner, we have essentially swapped Fornaroli, Vidosic and O'Halloran for Maclaren and Harrison. I see that as a decrease in quality and not anything to get particularly excited about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Given that Dario is now sitting in the naughty corner, we have essentially swapped Fornaroli, Vidosic and O'Halloran for Maclaren and Harrison. I see that as a decrease in quality and not anything to get particularly excited about.

Dario has been injured with a back issue for the past three weeks. 

He played 64 minutes in last week’s Y-League match and is included in the squad for Sydney. 

Not really in the naughty corner. 

58 minutes ago, playmaker said:

This is ridiculous.

What is wrong with this club? We can't have this.

What will I complain about?

This is bullshit.

Stuff this club I am over it

:(

Nah, I give it a few weeks and there'll be plenty to complain about :tooth:

48 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

That trio didn't play together in any meaningful way and Bruno probably had the biggest impact for us out of the three this season. I think it's safe to say that if we'd had Bruno and O'halloran firing for us and Vidosic providing a spark off the bench, we would be right in contention. I think it's a fair bet that we'll get more from Maclaren, Vidosic and Harrison in the back half of this season than we did from Fornaroli, Vidosic and O'Halloran in the front half.

• jw1739 pinned this topic