Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Where do you get this "scored regularly in the SPL" from?

From what I can see he's scored one goal in the SPL this season, and that was back in August. And played 90 minutes just once.

Not a worthy marquee IMO. Our club needs to show some ambition.

We're so desperate for a striker we're going to pay way overs than what we should.

But he has a good record in the a league and we're in desperate need of a striker. I think it'll work out for us.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, jw1739 said:

Marquees have to be approved by FFA. The meaning of a marquee may have been devalued in recent seasons, but I don't think that we should assume that we can just move players inside and outside the cap as we see fit.

Marquees dont have to be approved by the FFA. The FFA has a marquee fund which clubs can use to help fund players who may fit the FFA's criteria ala Tim Cahill, Honda, Sam Kerr

We can have any player we want as a marquee assuming we are paying his whole salary and not asking for the FFA's help

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Marquees dont have to be approved by the FFA. The FFA has a marquee fund which clubs can use to help fund players who may fit the FFA's criteria ala Tim Cahill, Honda, Sam Kerr

We can have any player we want as a marquee assuming we are paying his whole salary and not asking for the FFA's help

That’s how I understand it to work. 

Guest Players have to satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria as approved by the FFA but Designated Players (marquees) are nominated by the club and always accepted by the FFA.

Access to the Marquee Fund clearly requires FFA approval because they are giving quite a bit of money to a club to help pay the player’s salary. 

11 hours ago, Harrison said:

That’s how I understand it to work. 

Guest Players have to satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria as approved by the FFA but Designated Players (marquees) are nominated by the club and always accepted by the FFA.

Access to the Marquee Fund clearly requires FFA approval because they are giving quite a bit of money to a club to help pay the player’s salary. 

One difficulty in following just what rules apply at any particular time is that the rules change. For example, back in 2010 it is quite clear that FFA intended to approve or not approve Australian marquee players. See https://www.a-league.com.au/news/a-league-announces-marquee-player-changes

"FFA will arbitrate transfers based on a Marquee Standard that assesses criteria including a player-s number of national team appearances, international/national profile, and other factors considered by FFA to be relevant including individual club-s financial circumstances."

With the passage of time perhaps that "rule" has changed, or been deleted.

47 minutes ago, Silverback said:

Assuming JMac signs with us; how does he compare v Bruno? Ignoring the current problems, how does JMac fit in with our current structure / play? I don’t think he’ll bring the magic that Bruno does, but will JMac bring goals with our current team?

Considering we have created chance after chance without converting greatly, I would hope JMac can raise this percentage. Depending on his form. Fornaroli was something else, he was special and made things happen. JMac will be more tidy waiting for people to set him up so he can finish.

3 hours ago, Silverback said:

Assuming JMac signs with us; how does he compare v Bruno? Ignoring the current problems, how does JMac fit in with our current structure / play? I don’t think he’ll bring the magic that Bruno does, but will JMac bring goals with our current team?

Jamie isn’t a impact player or player who makes others play better. He’s a tap-in king, player border offside eyeing the one on ones with the keeper. Fox in the fox. He will be invisible if the rest of the team doesn’t create enough chances.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Jamie isn’t a impact player or player who makes others play better. He’s a tap-in king, player border offside eyeing the one on ones with the keeper. Fox in the fox. He will be invisible if the rest of the team doesn’t create enough chances.

And he runs like a MF. Suit our system perfectly. 

5 hours ago, Silverback said:

He will fit in with our structure if he can play out of position. DeLaet striker and Maclaren winger :D

5 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Arnie is rumoured to take the job at Hibs, surely he’d wanna keep JMac and not release him to us

In most of the Scottish news papers. I would assume the Maclaren deal will be well on its way to completion by now if it is going to happen with Scottish and German clerence required 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Really? He scored some crackers in Brisbane in addition to tapping them in (something we could have sorely used over the weekend). 

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Really? He scored some crackers in Brisbane in addition to tapping them in (something we could have sorely used over the weekend). 

Yep really, plus lots of penalties and tap ins. Following Brisbane closely I got frustrated with the amount of times the bloke would run offside too. He would be coming back after second tier Europe couldn’t see potential. Decent A league player, can be a topscorer and top earner but not Marquee material in my opinion. 

But Welcome Jamie and proof me wrong!!!

Edited by Mr MO

AFELLAY CONTRACT TERMINATED 

Ibrahim Afellay's contract with Stoke City has been terminated by mutual consent.

The 32-year-old had six months left on his deal at the bet365 Stadium but is now free to join another club after parting ways with the Potters.

Afellay initially joined Stoke on a two-year deal in 2015 after being released by Barcelona.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CFG!!

2 hours ago, AntiScum said:

AFELLAY CONTRACT TERMINATED 

Ibrahim Afellay's contract with Stoke City has been terminated by mutual consent.

The 32-year-old had six months left on his deal at the bet365 Stadium but is now free to join another club after parting ways with the Potters.

Afellay initially joined Stoke on a two-year deal in 2015 after being released by Barcelona.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CFG!!

Do we really need a permanent resident of the Germano Treatment Centre?

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Nope, but @AntiScum's post above may not be that far away from the truth tbh..... that's in addition to Maclaren.

Do you know something we don’t?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Do we really need a permanent resident of the Germano Treatment Centre?

Bart was also always injured in Holland, so it can be okay. Saying that Affelay always stroke me as a soft player with lots of little injuries.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Do you know something we don’t?

I just know we are getting two players - i think that has been obvious from the start of this transfer period.

One will be Maclaren and the other, thinking about how WJ goes about his work, would most likely be a player from that part of the world or who has played there (UK).

Just using common logic tbf.

1 minute ago, rass said:

I just know we are getting two players - i think that has been obvious from the start of this transfer period.

One will be Maclaren and the other, thinking about how WJ goes about his work, would most likely be a player from that part of the world or who has played there (UK).

Just using common logic tbf.

Yeah. Someone he knew playing for the Accrington Stanley U-11s about 20 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was talking to a Perth supporting workmate today, and we ended up trying to find out the number of visa and marquee players each club actually has.  It's slightly out of date but this site https://www.goal.com/en-au/lists/a-league-2018-19-marquees-foreign-and-visa-player-list/1xblk54wj63i01dixgy2pw1owj seems to be pretty accurate.  What is striking is that apart from ourselves (not so now, as MOH has departed), only Victory have their full complement, and of the others, only Sydney have two marquees. Perth are presently top of the league with only one marquee and two other visa players.

I guess we can see this in a number of ways. Firstly, there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on here about us not having, or failing to use, our full quota. But we are nominally better off than most clubs. I suppose second, it's concerning that despite using most or all of our quota, we're still only fourth, and could easily finish lower. And the number of marquees and visas does not appear to correlate strongly with success.

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I was talking to a Perth supporting workmate today, and we ended up trying to find out the number of visa and marquee players each club actually has.  It's slightly out of date but this site https://www.goal.com/en-au/lists/a-league-2018-19-marquees-foreign-and-visa-player-list/1xblk54wj63i01dixgy2pw1owj seems to be pretty accurate.  What is striking is that apart from ourselves (not so now, as MOH has departed), only Victory have their full complement, and of the others, only Sydney have two marquees. Perth are presently top of the league with only one marquee and two other visa players.

I guess we can see this in a number of ways. Firstly, there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on here about us not having, or failing to use, our full quota. But we are nominally better off than most clubs. I suppose second, it's concerning that despite using most or all of our quota, we're still only fourth, and could easily finish lower. And the number of marquees and visas does not appear to correlate strongly with success.

This is probably more up-to-date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_A-League

It's not just the number of marquee and visa players that counts. It's also their quality and position in the team. And of course, no-one but City would shoot themselves in the foot as we have done with Bruno.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Others have dropped his name, what's Agbonlahor doing these days?

Free agent isn't he? Ex-Aston Villa so could well follow McCormack and De Laet. I would have thought that he could be signed outside the transfer window, because he's been a free agent since the end of the English 2017/18 season.

But would we want him? https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/the-highs-and-lows-of-gabriel-agbonlahor-goals-one-direction-dubai/

• jw1739 pinned this topic