Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, that "agreement" was announced as long ago as 8th January, but nothing has happened since.

Loan doesn't really make any difference. Whatever we pay O'Halloran's replacement, whether on loan or not, has to be under the cap unless Bruno actually departs, unless the replacement comes as a guest. The latter is perfectly possible, and IMO should be considered, because we have only 14 regular matches to go (and there would be fewer when Maclaren actually becomes available).

The problem is that the guest spot has to meet the FFA criteria, and imo there's no chance that Maclaren fits that bill. You need a player than even Joe Average recognises to meet that bill, so either a once prominent EPL player or a Champions League player.

I agree its def something we should be looking at, but its going to be tough to fill that position on availability alone in January, let alone $$$.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Or we can get him on cheap for the rest of the year then turn him in to marquee for 2 years after that to make up for the loses of this year.

A "deferred payment" method. Risky - relies on FFA approving Maclaren as a marquee next season.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A "deferred payment" method. Risky - relies on FFA approving Maclaren as a marquee next season.

And Maclaren accepting that offer.

A backended deal could be unattractive for both parties because it makes the contract worth more to new clubs ie say Jamie was badly out of form and both club and player thought he should go elsewhere - the new club might be priced out cos his existing wage demands are too high, and likewise its harder for City to sell him because they'd probably have to end up paying some of his wages etc. There's also the possibility that Jamie plays really well and gets a European offer again, and he'd love to go, but the European club don't want to pay the transfer fee City commands, which is naturally higher due to more wages to come.
Indeed back ended deals pretty much only make sense in a salary capped league on the world stage; the only other clubs that would do it would be cash strapped ones, which is prob a red flag anyway.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

@bt50 You're  generally a voice of reason, and across a lot of this stuff - do you think we are really trying to find a decent striker or is it a smokescreen? I must say that I'm dubious. Then again, we rarely if ever get a hint as to what City are doing, so anything is still possible.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 You're  generally a voice of reason, and across a lot of this stuff - do you think we are really trying to find a decent striker or is it a smokescreen? I must say that I'm dubious. Then again, we rarely if ever get a hint as to what City are doing, so anything is still possible.

I 100% think we are trying to chase two good players, a striker and a winger. I also think its far harder to get them (good players that is) in January than most people realise. IMO the club isnt prepared to just sign anyone to appease fans short term, they'll only sign players that they think will play first team football, and that fit to Joyce's work ethic. Whilst signing anyone might appease fans for the next month, if it gets a month down the track and theyve signed some prima donna that doesnt want to work like the rest of the team and undermines Joyce's ethic he has instilled (and lost our best ever striker over), then the PR is going to be 10x worse than not signing anyone at all. (Don't get me wrong, thats highly undesirable!!!)

I think the other factor is that there is far less players available in January then there is at the end of the season, so the club might be conscious that signing a player now, which would likely be at least an 18 month deal might hurt you in terms of a better player for next season. For that reason perhaps the club is searching for loan deals until the end of the season, and then they are probably at the mercy somewhat of the other club and the comings and goings of their transfer window.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

Western Melbourne say they are "pretty close" to signing Celtic captain Scott Brown. (Scottish Daily Record)

Id just be happy to go to a football game and not be put asleep by these tactics that joyceball is all about. How have we gone from an exciting football style (that really should be our identity especially with CFG as owners) to this rubbish that is driving supporters away. What is CFG end game, how are we a football farm if the kids are learning this rubbish. 

7 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Id just be happy to go to a football game and not be put asleep by these tactics that joyceball is all about. How have we gone from an exciting football style (that really should be our identity especially with CFG as owners) to this rubbish that is driving supporters away. What is CFG end game, how are we a football farm if the kids are learning this rubbish. 

And if they want to continue plucking our young stars, how do they expect them to  develop under a system that doesn’t let them express themselves. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

And if they want to continue plucking our young stars, how do they expect them to  develop under a system that doesn’t let them express themselves. 

They are not concerned about technical development but more about attitude and behavior. 

4 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

I dunno we could always just play Bruno until end of the season n fuck him off then if we cant find a good replacement lol? Hopefully we can fuck Joyce off then 2

Damage has probably already been done... but what are the chances Joyce gets the axe and a new manager wants to keep Bruno if he does manage to hang on til seasons end?

Its a joke. This uncompromising position on Bruno is compromising our season. I have the shake my head every time I think about it. Club legend - deserves a 2nd chance, deserves a look in and consideration. 

• Like 1

IMO no-one outside a tight circle knows the cause of the Fornaroli Standoff, but it appears to be an irretrievable situation. No-one seems prepared to compromise, and so his contract will be honoured by both parties but Bruno will not play for us again.

The club appears to be prepared to allow this to compromise our season, and quite possibly there will be spin-off effects on to other current players - for example, I can't see that the careers of Wales and McGree are being helped by the current way the team plays. I also can't see that the Fornaroli situation is helping "the brand."

It seems to me that there can be no winner out of this at all.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO no-one outside a tight circle knows the cause of the Fornaroli Standoff, but it appears to be an irretrievable situation. No-one seems prepared to compromise, and so his contract will be honoured by both parties but Bruno will not play for us again.

The club appears to be prepared to allow this to compromise our season, and quite possibly there will be spin-off effects on to other current players - for example, I can't see that the careers of Wales and McGree are being helped by the current way the team plays. I also can't see that the Fornaroli situation is helping "the brand."

Wish the club read this. Well said

On 25/04/2017 at 11:36 AM, nah brah said:

i would sell fornaroli now while he is worth something and bring in an australian striker - taggart/maclaren.  

all my dreams are coming true

On 18/01/2019 at 11:39 PM, kingofhearts said:

We're signing no one.

im ok with sticking with wales up front

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely this, said the same thing last night to anyone who’d listen.

if the aim of the club is to win it certainly won’t help with that as you can’t win if you don’t even look like scoring , if they want to sell kids it won’t help as too much is being asked if many of them (if not all) for the stages they’re at in their careers which doesn’t make them look great, and if they want to build support it certainly will have the opposite effect as we are boring to watch and many people have sided with Bruno in this given his status in the eyes of fans.

All in all a baffling state of affairs.

10 days to go.

If anything happens I now think it will be a loan of a player from some UK/European club for the remainder of the season, arranged at the last gasp as the window closes and as other potential deals fall over.

If that happens we'll have only 10/11 matches left (at most) before the player arrives.

As each day passes IMO it's more likely that we'll finish the season with what we've got.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

10 days to go.

If anything happens I now think it will be a loan of a player from some UK/European club for the remainder of the season, arranged at the last gasp as the window closes and as other potential deals fall over.

If that happens we'll have only 10/11 matches left (at most) before the player arrives.

As each day passes IMO it's more likely that we'll finish the season with what we've got.

I think it's the Asian Cup that is holding us up mate, with our focusing probably hard on Maclaren now. Apart from Yeboah, I can't recall any other signings this transfer window - so most clubs are probably in the same boat.

Oh and there's the Bruno debacle also which has probably thrown a spanner in the works too....

Hopefully we can pick up a handy Visa and get a Maclaren in-Bruno out deal done because it's utter pointless having him sit around doing fuk all.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

10 days to go.

If we don't sign another striker surely they will have to play Bruno for the benefit of the team as a whole, they can't be that stupid.

Right?

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If we don't sign another striker surely they will have to play Bruno for the benefit of the team as a whole, they can't be that stupid.

Right?

You'd think if either had any sense, especially from a PR point of view, they would agree to disagree and come to an arrangement where he plays out the season.

Joyce especially has so much to gain here if he just dropped the stubborn bullshit. He's not well liked at all, to the point where he is getting jeered at home games whenever he is flashed up on the big screen. Sit down with him and just say: 'look, it shouldn't have got this far and i understand that this relationship is irreparable... but at least let's work something out where you can play for the rest of the season and then you can leave with our blessing. blah, blah'.

Even if he doesn't mean it, it would be such a big win in the eyes of fans and the public for Joyce to instigate this.

8 minutes ago, rass said:

You'd think if either had any sense, especially from a PR point of view, they would agree to disagree and come to an arrangement where he plays out the season.

Joyce especially has so much to gain here if he just dropped the stubborn bullshit. He's not well liked at all, to the point where he is getting jeered at home games whenever he is flashed up on the big screen. Sit down with him and just say: 'look, it shouldn't have got this far and i understand that this relationship is irreparable... but at least let's work something out where you can play for the rest of the season and then you can leave with our blessing. blah, blah'.

Even if he doesn't mean it, it would be such a big win in the eyes of fans and the public for Joyce to instigate this.

Won't happen imo. It'd be a concession of the immediate future overruling the culture.
Only chance that Bruno plays again is if he apologises publically and starts doing whats asked to get back in the side.

Now im not saying he'd be right to do that, as ive done to death on here we dont know whats gone on. I have my doubts that will happen either way if it hasnt already. Think both parties are too stubborn, particularly if there's contributory blame on both sides.

Edited by bt50

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Won't happen imo. It'd be a concession of the immediate future overruling the culture.
Only chance that Bruno plays again is if he apologises publically and starts doing whats asked to get back in the side.

Now im not saying he'd be right to do that, as ive done to death on here we dont know whats gone on. I have my doubts that will happen either way if it hasnt already. Think both parties are too stubborn, particularly if there's contributory blame on both sides.

I agree with the both sides being to blame - and definitely no one knows, as much as we all think we do, what really happened here.

I just think that sometimes you need to play the political game and whilst not admitting to being wrong, WJ could get a big win here if he could make it happen. They've already said we need a striker, so it's not an admission of being wrong - just an acknowledgment that there is a role for him to play.

But yeah, i know it won't happen unfortunately. :(

5 minutes ago, rass said:

I agree with the both sides being to blame - and definitely no one knows, as much as we all think we do, what really happened here.

I just think that sometimes you need to play the political game and whilst not admitting to being wrong, WJ could get a big win here if he could make it happen. They've already said we need a striker, so it's not an admission of being wrong - just an acknowledgment that there is a role for him to play.

But yeah, i know it won't happen unfortunately. :(

Id say its probably less about being wrong in the individual instance for both Joyce and Bruno, and more about the overall 'cultural' issues and what a concession would do to that psyche amongst the playing group that makes it virtually impossible for Bruno to come back, barring a full scale apology and jumping through every hoop.

• Like 1

Luke Brattan on SEN this morning 

“Hopefully we can sort out this striker situation,” Brattan told SEN Breakfast.

“It’s been going on for too long now. If we are serious about winning anything, then we need a number nine that can finish off chances.”

Brattan also explained the players mindset towards the Fornaroli saga, saying frustration is starting to creep in.

“It’s not easy, especially with Bruno being a marquee and all that sort of thing, it makes it very very hard,” he said.

“You could say (the players are) frustrated

I’m sure the club and Bruno are hopefully working together to sort it out.

“It’s not good for Bruno sitting in the stands not playing and it’s not a good look for the club, with the marquee sitting in the stands.

“It’s been going on for a long time, we get asked a lot about it and if we want to win anything and be serious, then we need a striker.”

5 minutes ago, neio said:

“It’s been going on for too long now. If we are serious about winning anything, then we need a number nine that can finish off chances.”

Brattan also explained the players mindset towards the Fornaroli saga, saying frustration is starting to creep in.

“It’s not easy, especially with Bruno being a marquee and all that sort of thing, it makes it very very hard,” he said.

“It’s not good for Bruno sitting in the stands not playing and it’s not a good look for the club, with the marquee sitting in the stands.

“It’s been going on for a long time, we get asked a lot about it and if we want to win anything and be serious, then we need a striker.”

Expect Brattz to be left out of tomorrow’s game being so honest won’t sit well with the club .

• Haha 3

Just now, Missing_Moy said:

Expect Brattz to be left out of tomorrow’s game being so honest won’t sit well with the club .

He was already left out of the last game so he probably thought fuck it. The truth will always come out sooner or later but the only word that describes this whole thing is 'SAD'. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I know what you're saying there, but I have to disagree. No-one has to admit anything, no-one has to even apologise, no-one needs to even know what went wrong, who said what, or who dug what hole.

What we're talking about is common sense. Agreeing to disagree for the sake of all those around you. For 13 matches - that's all. FFS, all through life you have to work with people with whom you disagree, even dislike, even despise. Workmates, neighbours, even within families. For the common good.

My club is more important than these two individuals.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, neio said:

Says a lot doesnt it ......

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I know what you're saying there, but I have to disagree. No-one has to admit anything, no-one has to even apologise, no-one needs to even know what went wrong, who said what, or who dug what hole.

What we're talking about is common sense. Agreeing to disagree for the sake of all those around you. For 13 matches - that's all. FFS, all through life you have to work with people with whom you disagree, even dislike, even despise. Workmates, neighbours, even within families. For the common good.

The fans are more important that the lot of them, and they are being taken for ride!!!

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

If there is no change in behaviour and the set cultural standards are compromised how would that look to the other players, particularly the ones that have been reprimanded previously? What would their reaction be if they see that this is the case? Once you lose players in this way in my experience it's very difficult to get that same respect back. Curious on your thoughts based on your post...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neio said:

You could say (the players are) frustrated

Well this SEN interview with Brats is interesting when you consider that last December (article below) he said that the team had moved on and that "these things happen in football."

Surely the Bruno situation would have a negative impact on moral around the club as it drags on without a speedy conclusion. It's like having the threat of redundancies or massive workplace change hanging over peoples heads - the best solution is to get it over and done with so everybody can move on.

Brats talks about the players being frustrated. I can entirely understand that. So are the supporters!

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/brattan-on-bruno-weve-moved-on-517067

Brattan on Bruno: We've moved on

Luke Brattan says his Melbourne City teammates have “moved on” from Bruno Fornaroli’s absence on the pitch.

There has been plenty of speculation regarding Fornaroli’s future as the Uruguayan is rumoured to leave City in January.

El Tuna’s last appearance for City was in Round 4 against Wellington Phoenix, where he scored his first and only goal this season. He was dropped by coach Warren Joyce for the following game.

Since then Joyce has had to field ongoing questions about the saga, but the gaffer has played a straight bat to them. Today, Brattan defined moving on as “getting asked every week about it”.

“As players, we’ve moved on, he’s back training… he’s always been training,” Brattan said.

“These things happen in football for whatever reason. He’s happy, he’s training and I think the gaffer said a couple of weeks ago that if he trains well enough, then he could be back in the team which is great.

“Everyone has moved on, I’m one of his best mates here, it’s definitely hard for me, but I see him every day and everyone is happy. We’re moving on and I think you guys should too.

“It’s tough. He’s one of my best friends in the team, but at the end of the day, that’s football. I think everyone has moved on, Bruno is still himself, he’s still happy and he’s still training.

“That’s just part of football and hopefully it gets resolved. We’re not using it as an excuse and Bruno and the boys have been very professional about it. It’s not a distraction in the least.”

Brattan added the scrutiny over Fornaroli has lifted the pressure off the younger players’ shoulders at Melbourne City.

He said the constant probing has helped youngsters Lachlan Wales, Ramy Najjarine and Riley McGree.

“I think they’ve got a bit of freedom now to come in and show what they’re made of,” Brattan said.

“There isn’t much pressure on the young kids, they’re playing for a massive club and we demand results here. The fans demand the same and hopefully we can gel quickly and the young boys do what they’re good at.

“They attack and show what they’re made of and the gaffer gives a lot of freedom and opportunities to the young boys which is fantastic. They just need to take the chance with both hands and make the most of it.

“I’ve tried to be a bit more of a leader in the last few weeks, it’s tough when we have such a young team. It’s part of my job as well, helping them in training and games.

"They know they can come to me and the other older boys when they have questions. They’re getting better each week.”

Edited by HEARTinator

• jw1739 pinned this topic