Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

29 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If I remember correctly when Conte had issues with Costa, it was very transparent, the supporters were informed, Costa was still played because he was the key forward, and then they parted ways in the transfer window.

That's what defines professionalism IMO.

Exactly its now become about 2 people with the only thing that's suffering are Football Fans.

Not to mention the ignorance of a manager who will play a right back as a striker which is not only an insult to the sponsors, members & supporters who keep this club running, but football in general!!! 

Get rid of the both of them as not only is it toxic but it is dragging the game to its lowest level. 

Edited by AntiScum

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Liverpool periodically publish articles called Media Watch which summarise media speculation and rumours about potential signings. They always make clear the source and that it doesn’t reflect the position of the club.

City’s attempt isn’t exactly novel but it is a step in the right direction. It needs a bit of tweaking but I like the idea in general. I don’t think they should mention any current players who might leave, only potential signings.

They should also publish, and I’m using Liverpool’s website as inspiration again, a kind of Q&A every week from WJ. The questions can be statements like ‘on why RDL is used as a forward...’ or ‘the likelihood of January signings...’

It’s a simple and professional way of maintaining some transparency.  

I just think things like this sound better in theory than they'd be in practice. They'd have dozens - if not hundreds - of questions to choose from, so they'd just pick the easiest and most positive ones. Apart from that, it seems like it would just cause as many complaints as it would quell. My AFL team does this with the coach and there's seldom anything useful to be taken out of these sessions.

Example answer for the De Laet question: "Well, we put a priority on our players being versatile, Ritchie does have the ability to score goals regularly and he's banged in some very important ones for us this season. Of course he is a great defender too, so we need to find the right balance there."

An adequate, compliance response (so the team can tick a box that they've done their 'Ask the coach' segment for the week), but ultimately pretty unsatisfying for anyone who wants a bit of substance.

34 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I just think things like this sound better in theory than they'd be in practice. They'd have dozens - if not hundreds - of questions to choose from, so they'd just pick the easiest and most positive ones. Apart from that, it seems like it would just cause as many complaints as it would quell. My AFL team does this with the coach and there's seldom anything useful to be taken out of these sessions.

Example answer for the De Laet question: "Well, we put a priority on our players being versatile, Ritchie does have the ability to score goals regularly and he's banged in some very important ones for us this season. Of course he is a great defender too, so we need to find the right balance there."

An adequate, compliance response (so the team can tick a box that they've done their 'Ask the coach' segment for the week), but ultimately pretty unsatisfying for anyone who wants a bit of substance.

It would ultimately come down to to how serious they were with these kinds of things. Liverpool’s posts are informative. Of course you will always get standard responses but every now and then there will be an interesting nugget from an insider. It allows supporters some insights into the thinking behind certain decisions. 

At the end of the day, it’s the most we can hope for. 

21 minutes ago, Harrison said:

It would ultimately come down to to how serious they were with these kinds of things. Liverpool’s posts are informative. Of course you will always get standard responses but every now and then there will be an interesting nugget from an insider. It allows supporters some insights into the thinking behind certain decisions. 

At the end of the day, it’s the most we can hope for. 

Pretty much the same with everything from what did they find in the Christmas Stocking to pictures from the training track. IMO if you have an editor/producer who is determined to give something meaningful without straying into confidential/private information it would be a damned sight better than the corporate circular that we seem to get nowadays, looking as it does as if it's come from ANZ Bank.

You could have a "letters and questions" page, you could for the youngsters have a birthday page. And so on.

We're a club with a small supporter base, and likely to be so for quite some time yet. I think this sort of thing would help draw the club and the community together. I'm all for it.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/ex-epl-striker-heading-to-oz-518044

According to this story, at least one A-league club is looking to sign Matt Derbyshire in the January transfer window.

He is a 32-year-old striker who has played at a few different clubs. He currently plays in Cyprus but previously spent his career in England.

He is quick, strong and a poacher.

29 minutes ago, Harrison said:

According to this story, at least one A-league club is looking to sign Matt Derbyshire in the January transfer window.

He is a 32-year-old striker who has played at a few different clubs. He currently plays in Cyprus but previously spent his career in England.

Would be a good option.

So many younger players out there though. Sick of signing older players who hang around for a year or so. So much instability at the club with so much turn over ever year!!

38 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Who besides City has spare visa places?

6 hours ago, Harrison said:

Watched him last few seasons her in Cyprus playing for Ominia. He played along side Sheridan (Wellington). He has been top goal scorer for 2 seasons. If we get him problem of striker sorted as I believe Cyprus with it"s foreign players is a much better league than the A league.

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/your-guide-hyundai-a-league-january-transfer-window

These articles by City outlining January transfer window 

Interesting to get that - certainly easier than going through FFA regulations.

I'd like to know, though, who our current 20 players are - I can only get to 18 senior players unless I include a couple of Scholarship players- say Najjarine and Metcalfe - who haven't been announced yet as going on to senior contracts.

42 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Watched him last few seasons her in Cyprus playing for Ominia. He played along side Sheridan (Wellington). He has been top goal scorer for 2 seasons. If we get him problem of striker sorted as I believe Cyprus with it"s foreign players is a much better league than the A league.

Reckon we could pay him O’Halloran’s wage?

Edited by Missing_Moy

12 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Reckon we could pay him O’Halloran’s wage?

Here in Cyprus the average wage is 20,000 euros with 5% deducted for tax leaving 17,000 euros after tax. I guess that's the minimum he would ask for. I believe that is 27,000 dollars after tax. But remember that is an average wage he is probably is on more. 

So is this the normal salary after tax for a visa player.

Just now, Inchcolm said:

Here in Cyprus the average wage is 20,000 euros with 5% deducted for tax leaving 17,000 euros after tax. I guess that's the minimum he would ask for. I believe that is 27,000 dollars after tax. But remember that is an average wage he is probably is on more. 

So we’d need at least $400k for the rest of the season 

2 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Per week?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Probably on a lot more. Ex EPL or Championship won't be on €20k.

8 hours ago, neio said:

Had he ever crossed paths with Joyce? If he has, lock it in

They are both from Lancashire. Derbyshire is from Blackburn, Wazza from Preston. Same accent, easy commute. 

That article sums up just why we need to abolish the cap and operate in a similar manner to the other leagues in the world. The restrictions and rules are a joke really, and it’s embarrassing for Australian football.

Great article though ... although hopefully not buttering us up as an excuse not to sign anyone

Edited by Torn Asunder

10 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

That article sums up just why we need to abolish the cap and operate in a similar manner to the other leagues in the world. The restrictions and rules are a joke really, and it’s embarrassing for Australian football.

Great article though ... although hopefully not buttering us up as an excuse not to sign anyone

Into my 9th season supporting this club...I think that's exactly what the article is. An excuse for saying "it was all too hard to find anyone because of all the rules."

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think theyre listening to the fans and trying to be a bit more transparent, starting with explaining why its not as simple to work in the window as many would think. But there'll always be people that try to read more into it.

And just to add to that, it’s clearly referencing the Bruno situation, directly, and highlighting that we can’t let him walk to another A league club for nothing. We didn’t get the international offers and that’s the only way to recoup the cost. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think theyre listening to the fans and trying to be a bit more transparent, starting with explaining why its not as simple to work in the window as many would think. But there'll always be people that try to read more into it.

After the lack of transparency and the mind boggling decisions from this club, i have serious trust issues and will always look deep into any email, player being benched, meeting the players after the game (we are into the start of the new year so why havnt we had one earlier) etc. If i have this skepticism with the way i look at this club it only has it self to blame as far as im concerned. Oh i miss the simple club life.

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It's a good explanation of the complexities of getting the personnel in the squad to meet the rules, and the opportunities that there are to augment the squad.

But that's over-complicating the current issue - that O'Halloran has left, that we have cap space equivalent to his wages available, that we have a visa place available, and that we need a striker.

12 days to go. Let's see what happens.

Jamie Maclaren says he would consider an A-League return but is focused on the Asian Cup

• January 19, 2019 6:49am
  • by DANIEL GARB
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Australia's forward Jamie Maclaren. (Photo by Karim Sahib / AFP)Australia's forward Jamie Maclaren. (Photo by Karim Sahib / AFP)Source: AFP

— AL AIN, UAE

His full focus is on once again leading the Australian line at the Asian Cup in their round of 16 do or die clash with Uzbekistan but Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren concedes he could be set for a club switch in the January transfer window, with a return to the A-League a possibility.

The 25-year-old is currently on loan at Scottish Premier Division club Hibernian but has been used sparingly by manager Neil Lennon this season since returning from injury despite his superb contribution last campaign that saw him net eight goals in 15 games.

Maclaren has been linked with a move back to his native Victoria and a marquee deal with Melbourne City but the fact that he is still owned by German club Darmstadt and has one-and-a-half years remaining on that contract makes any potential switch, be it back to Australia or somewhere else in Europe, slightly more difficult to navigate

Nothing new here whatsoever.

I'm afraid I can't see how we can offer Maclaren anything this season other than under the cap or as a guest player, unless we suddenly find an acceptable home for Bruno. At this stage the latter situation appears to be locked in stalemate.

30 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

It's the only way we can guarantee we finish 4th place

There's little or nothing between us, Phoenix and Adelaide - we can easily be pushed down the table.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nothing new here whatsoever.

I'm afraid I can't see how we can offer Maclaren anything this season other than under the cap or as a guest player, unless we suddenly find an acceptable home for Bruno. At this stage the latter situation appears to be locked in stalemate.

There's little or nothing between us, Phoenix and Adelaide - we can easily be pushed down the table.

The World Game today make brief mention that Bruno has reached an agreement with the club for him to leave, and also says we’re looking at Maclaren on loan only. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/maclaren-s-focus-on-asian-cup-amid-melbourne-city-talk

15 minutes ago, Cityamatic said:

The World Game today make brief mention that Bruno has reached an agreement with the club for him to leave, and also says we’re looking at Maclaren on loan only. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/maclaren-s-focus-on-asian-cup-amid-melbourne-city-talk

Yes, that "agreement" was announced as long ago as 8th January, but nothing has happened since.

Loan doesn't really make any difference. Whatever we pay O'Halloran's replacement, whether on loan or not, has to be under the cap unless Bruno actually departs, unless the replacement comes as a guest. The latter is perfectly possible, and IMO should be considered, because we have only 14 regular matches to go (and there would be fewer when Maclaren actually becomes available).

• jw1739 pinned this topic