Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

From Michael Lynch

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-bruno-fornaroli-20190108-p50q4c.html

From the article:

"City are looking to change their culture and that is why Fornaroli is on the outer; despite his proven track record coach Warren Joyce, backed by the club's management, has been prepared to do without its most potent attacker to make a point to all at the club and those who join thereafter. Exceptions will be made for no one, no matter who they are."

The stupid thing is that a new manager might have a totally different view and Bruno would be back on the pitch. Bit like the spat between Pogba and Mourinho. Now with Solskjaer Pogba is back on the pitch and team results are coming back.

How do you solve a problem like Bruno Fornaroli?

By Michael Lynch

Call it the Fornaroli farrago, or simply ''How do you solve a problem like Bruno?"

The departure from Melbourne City of Scottish winger Michael O'Halloran - announced on Tuesday morning - provides the Bundoora-based club with the chance to sign another foreign striker.

But that's unlikely to take attention away from one of this season's longest running A-League subplots: what's happening with star striker Bruno Fornaroli.

While there are a few twists and turns still to come in the drama, we don't appear to be near the denouement just yet.

News broke on Monday of a possible swap deal involving the disgruntled Uruguayan and Perth Glory hitman Andy Keogh.

On the face of it, it looks like a plausible scenario.

Both are foreigners, both are proven strikers with goalscoring pedigree in the A-League.

Fornaroli is out of favour with his coaching staff, while sources suggest that Glory initiated the call, suggesting that they wouldn't mind moving on their pugnacious Irishman.

But, according to City insiders, the chances of such an arrangement taking place are very unlikely during this transfer window, which ends on January 31.

For a start Keogh, at 32, is older than Fornaroli and has plenty of miles on the clock. The club's preference is to replace Fornaroli with a striker who is younger and has several seasons' upside.

Nothing can ever be ruled out, but the club would undoubtedly like to get Fornaroli off their books.

He is a marquee signing on a package that could have earned him $1 million with appearances and he is taking up a visa spot.

But they are reluctant to offload him to another A-League club: what could be worse than their former main man coming back to haunt them in the finals? And there are no transfer fees allowed between A-League clubs, so they would get no compensation for him.

City's preference would be to move him overseas, even on a free transfer, as that would get his wages off their books and free up the marquee spot (as well as giving them another visa place on the roster).

This is a game fraught with danger for Fornaroli too.

He will be a free agent in June, but if he doesn't play between now and then he will have had nearly two years where he has hardly played any competitive games. He missed the bulk of the 2017-18 season with a serious injury, only returning near the end, and was dumped after a handful of matches this campaign.

His market value is likely to have diminished in Australia, and will be even less overseas as clubs will look at his injury and inactivity and be reluctant to pay handsomely for his services.

City are looking to change their culture and that is why Fornaroli is on the outer; despite his proven track record coach Warren Joyce, backed by the club's management, has been prepared to do without its most potent attacker to make a point to all at the club and those who join thereafter. Exceptions will be made for no one, no matter who they are.

It's not gone down well with fans, who who have seen supporter favourites like Tim Cahill and Neil Kilkenny depart during Joyce's tenure. But the coach has stuck to his guns and been backed by the management.

City's soccer has hardly been full of flair since the Fornaroli schism, but the results have been good.
Since the fallout occurred during the round five defeat to Brisbane, City have played six games, taking a possible 13 points from 18, and their only loss has been to league leaders Perth in WA.

City have conceded 10 goals in their 11 games, and have the best defensive record in the entire competition.
They currently lie fourth with 20 points, six less than Glory and three behind cross-city rivals Victory.

The club's hierarchy know that City are getting points winning ugly, and they are keen to see tactical and stylistic changes which would see more attacking fluency.

O'Halloran has returned home for personal reasons after barely six months at the club, and his departure gives City other options including another foreign visa spot.

*Kearyn Baccus, who has been ever-present since joining City as an injury replacement player in mid October, has inked a three and a half year deal to become a permanent signing.

He has taken the spot on the roster vacated by Anthony Caceres, who moved to Sydney early in the transfer window.

The 27-year-old said: ''It's been a big couple of months with the club and now I’m just glad I can officially call Melbourne City home.

"I’ve wanted to come for a while now and I’m happy to be here now.

“I want to win something and I think with the team that we have that that’s achievable this year, with the coach especially, anything is possible.''

I just hope that we're not going to fuck this up. I want to see us retain Schenkeveld next season, and IMO that will happen only if he is made a marquee. Our back line is pretty bloody solid with de Laet, Delbrdge, Bort and Jamieson, and Curtis Good a very able substitute to have around in case of injury or loss of form. But we can't keep de Laet and Bort and also have a top quality striker. So someone has to be under the cap.

• Like 1

Melbourne City have reached an agreement with wantaway forward Bruno Fornaroli to leave the club, giving Warren Joyce the freedom to find two new players, including a marquee.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-and-perth-glory-contemplate-swap-deal-with-bruno-fornaroli-and-andy-keogh/news-story/44def717161eccdc4e9b9f4772d3463c?nk=425dde2122ef39813eae8de5e4c16d4c-1546917749

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just hope that we're not going to fuck this up. I want to see us retain Schenkeveld next season, and IMO that will happen only if he is made a marquee. Our back line is pretty bloody solid with de Laet, Delbrdge, Bort and Jamieson, and Curtis Good a very able substitute to have around in case of injury or loss of form. But we can't keep de Laet and Bort and also have a top quality striker. So someone has to be under the cap.

De Laet will probably go after this season still in his prime and only on Loan so not up to us 

Edited by CityBoyz

28 minutes ago, neio said:

Heard the glory CEO on the radio, and in absolute no way did he even try and shut it down. Just said it was speculation but when he was asked if he could guarantee Andy keogh would be a glory player all season, he didn't say yes or no 

Age story reckons this was initiated by Glory, so that would follow. But also indicated that City weren't keen. 

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Reported that Adelaide and Sydney have entered the Fornaroli/Keogh market tussle. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/adelaide-and-sydney-out-to-scupper-fornaroli-keogh-swap-deal

What happened to the player who was supposed to be at Bundoora having a medical?

And the rumour about Matt Millar coming back to the club?

It’s becoming like the AFL trade period. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Reported that Adelaide and Sydney have entered the Fornaroli/Keogh market tussle. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/adelaide-and-sydney-out-to-scupper-fornaroli-keogh-swap-deal

What happened to the player who was supposed to be at Bundoora having a medical?

And the rumour about Matt Millar coming back to the club?

Very interesting.

Why the sudden backflip? 🤔

It's Sounding like city shopped Bruno around purely to get him off the books and balance the books, but it backfired. Paying Bruno a reported 1.5m yet are only willing to offer Keogh 650k 🤔

Something doesn't add up. 

10 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Very interesting.

Why the sudden backflip? 🤔

It's Sounding like city shopped Bruno around purely to get him off the books and balance the books, but it backfired. Paying Bruno a reported 1.5m yet are only willing to offer Keogh 650k 🤔

Something doesn't add up. 

1.5m per season for Bruno, 650k for Keogh the remainder of the season? What doesn’t add up?

Just now, Mr MO said:

1.5m per season for Bruno, 650k for Keogh the remainder of the season? What doesn’t add up?

You think Keogh is going to sign for 6 months, when he has another year at Perth? 

5 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

New signing Sheridan for Wellington looks decent. Wondering what our 32 scouts are doing 

Sitting in the Manchester City lounge playing Fifa 

9 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

New signing Sheridan for Wellington looks decent. Wondering what our 32 scouts are doing 

Trying to find players who will play for Joyce and that Joyce will accept and are in our price range.

If one of the scouts do find someone then they deserve a raise.

By price alone you can rule out half of europe and Joyce disliking any sort of creativity or flair essentially rules out the other half along with South America.

Probably should just sound our scouts to scour the German 2nd division.

9 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Straight to the bullshit watch topic

Agree. Absolute nonsense. wiki Facts:

Born: 1 August 1984 (age 34 years), Kolbermoor, Germany

Height: 1.83 m
Weight: 79 kg
Spouse: Ana Ivanović (m. 2016)
Current team: Chicago Fire Soccer Club (#31 / Midfielder)
Salary: 6.1 million USD (2018)

So from this, we would never match his salary. At 79kg he is at least 7 Kg too heavy (read slow and injury prone). And he is 35 next year. 

WJ would not be interested in the slightest. 

7 minutes ago, citymad said:

So from this, we would never match his salary. At 79kg he is at least 7 Kg too heavy (read slow and injury prone). And he is 35 next year. 

79kg being 7kg too heavy??? 

I'll compare him to Kroos who is Germany's current #8 - he's 1.83m and 78kg. Mbappe even weighs more and he's no slouch last time I saw him run. 

But for mine his age is the issue - 35 isn't the age we should be looking at. I agree though he wouldn't fit Joyce's profile - unless CFG have started to panic around the negativity around our squad of late and have ordered in a huge name. I still wouldn't go for him though.

14 hours ago, malloy said:

Trying to find players who will play for Joyce and that Joyce will accept and are in our price range.

If one of the scouts do find someone then they deserve a raise.

By price alone you can rule out half of europe and Joyce disliking any sort of creativity or flair essentially rules out the other half along with South America.

Probably should just sound our scouts to scour the German 2nd division.

And who also with have no problem with their contract being terminated within 6 months

• Haha 1

Even if the fact that these rumours keep appearing leads me to think that this is all a right royal fuck-up by City and CFG. The Fornaroli stand-off has been going long enough for us to have had Plans B, C, D, E and F in place long ago.

Simon Pearce thinks he knows what's best for football in Australia. He can't even fix getting a striker on board.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Even if the fact that these rumours keep appearing leads me to think that this is all a right royal fuck-up by City and CFG. The Fornaroli stand-off has been going long enough for us to have had Plans B, C, D, E and F in place long ago.

Simon Pearce thinks he knows what's best for football in Australia. He can't even fix getting a striker on board.

You do wonder whether these guys have any familiarity with the basics of risk assessment. Assess what could happen, the likelihood of it happening, and the impact of it happening. Do what you can to mitigate the risk and plan what you'd do if it actually happens. And in all of that, no one has looked at the risk of our only senior striker getting the hump or losing form? Mitigation, have back up for every position in the squad... That's where the problem started. Too many defenders and midfielders on the payroll that we don't need and barely ever use, but almost no attacking players. And two of that very limited number have in some way got the hump and can no longer be used... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rass said:

79kg being 7kg too heavy??? 

I'll compare him to Kroos who is Germany's current #8 - he's 1.83m and 78kg. Mbappe even weighs more and he's no slouch last time I saw him run. 

But for mine his age is the issue - 35 isn't the age we should be looking at. I agree though he wouldn't fit Joyce's profile - unless CFG have started to panic around the negativity around our squad of late and have ordered in a huge name. I still wouldn't go for him though.

I think the biggest factor against him is probably position; our keeper, back 4 and DM's are well and truly sorted and in the best condition theyve been in over the clubs entire existance. The issue is in the front third. Now I'm happy with Brattan/McGree as a 10 tbh, and between Wales, McGree and Dario we have three good front third options, but a striker and powerful winger (a la Novillo, George) is what we need to put us firmly in the contenders category imo. Schweinsteiger would be a nice draw, but its not what we need to win a title or qualify for ACL.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think the biggest factor against him is probably position; our keeper, back 4 and DM's are well and truly sorted and in the best condition theyve been in over the clubs entire existance. The issue is in the front third. Now I'm happy with Brattan/McGree as a 10 tbh, and between Wales, McGree and Dario we have three good front third options, but a striker and powerful winger (a la Novillo, George) is what we need to put us firmly in the contenders category imo. Schweinsteiger would be a nice draw, but its not what we need to win a title or qualify for ACL.

Agree - and those two names you mentioned are exactly what we need in terms of types of players.

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Agree - and those two names you mentioned are exactly what we need in terms of types of players.

In that context i'm fine with signing Keogh provided we use the marquee slot on that style of winger.
If we are signing Keogh as marquee as is rumoured on the World game article, imo that's simply not good enough, especially given it'd likely be an 18 month deal.

Although it might well be the case that 650k figure is spread over 18 months, which would likely see him squeeze under the cap.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

In that context i'm fine with signing Keogh provided we use the marquee slot on that style of winger.
If we are signing Keogh as marquee as is rumoured on the World game article, imo that's simply not good enough, especially given it'd likely be an 18 month deal.

Although it might well be the case that 650k figure is spread over 18 months, which would likely see him squeeze under the cap.

I agree about Keogh, the success of his signing if true will come down to who we can bring in to support him. A gun winger would be ideal given his height or as I alluded to a couple of days back, a quality #10 such as Castro.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

How are we also going to fit Keogh's wife under the cap?

Nah mate we pay her business outside the cap for the dresses she makes all the players...

Seriously though, what happens if we sign Player X who owns his own clothing company. The club then pays this company $100k for shoes for players and staff

Edited by haz

10 minutes ago, haz said:

Nah mate we pay her business outside the cap for the dresses she makes all the players...

Seriously though, what happens if we sign Player X who owns his own clothing company. The club then pays this company $100k for shoes for players and staff

In the AFL you have to declare it and they then run the tooth comb through to make sure its legit ie market value etc

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, citymad said:

Nothing nonsense about ana Ivanovic, 5 year deal pls

Melbourne City could move Bruno Fornaroli but the end of the week as they eye Socceroos striker

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
17 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Bruno Fornaroli is edging closer to the Melbourne City exit door, with the “trade” for Perth Glory’s Andy Keogh set to be completed by the end of the week.

City also look set to launch a marquee bid for Socceroo Jamie Maclaren as they near a stunning dual-solution to the striker crisis caused by the Fornaroli banishment.

City’s Manchester-based football chief Brian Marwood arrived in Melbourne this week and is engineering the audacious double swoop, with Melbourne-based chief Michael Petrillo meeting with Fornaroli on Wednesday.

SWAP: CITY’S SHOCK FORNAROLI TRADE GAMBLE

JETS: JOYCE HAILS CITY’S CHARACTER AFTER WIN

DROUGHT: LUCKLESS STRIKER WILL FIND ROOS FORM

Glory and City are both believed to have committed to offering their respective targets minimum 18-month contracts, which was the key to unlocking the deal.

If the Fornaroli-Keogh swap is completed, it sets up for an explosive clash between City and Perth Glory at AAMI Park on January 19.

City must offload Fornaroli to open up a marquee spot for Maclaren, who is on loan to Scotland’s Hibernian from German club Darmstadt.

0e7a05e45d7dfe755a8a5d1369941f86?width=1024Bruno Fornaroli looks to be on his way to Perth Glory. Picture: Stuart Walmsley

Despite Keogh, 32, likely to be offered similar wages to his current Glory marquee deal, it’s believed that City will attempt to squeeze him into the salary cap, with Warren Joyce signing Ritchie de Laet (on loan from Aston Villa) filling the other marquee spot.

Keogh’s predatory instincts appeal to Joyce, who managed the Irishman when he was a Leeds United youth team player.

As reported by the Herald Sun this week, City has backflipped on its vow not to release Fornaroli, 31, to another A-League club with its attempts to offload and replace him shackled by salary cap and squad size restrictions.

City’s preference was to offload Fornaroli overseas, but inquiries from Japan’s second division and lukewarm interest from elsewhere have not translated into formal offers.

City are now determined to complete the deal as soon as possible, to give it time to secure Maclaren or another marquee striker before the January 31 transfer deadline.

368138a776570dd76c0e8c0cb634b044?width=316Andy Keogh is Melbourne City’s No.1 target. 5d88cfea82c02085b49dfb720bd21a26?width=316City are also hunting Jamie Maclaren. Picture: Toby Zerna

Fellow Asian Cup Socceroo Andrew Nabbout, who trained with City while he was in Melbourne before the Asian Cup, is also on City’s wishlist but he remains contracted to Urawa Red Diamonds.

Melbourne-raised Maclaren, 25, started in the Socceroos’ loss to Jordan last Sunday.

He is contracted to Darmstadt until 2020 and has scored one goal in 12 appearances this season on loan after netting eight in 15 in last season’s Hibs stint, before his 11th hour World Cup call-up.

Adelaide United inquired about Fornaroli, but can’t afford the Uruguayan, contrary to suggestions that coach Marco Kurz has been handed a marquee war-chest.

City has another visa spot up its sleeve after Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran returned home due to homesickness.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Melbourne City could move Bruno Fornaroli but the end of the week as they eye Socceroos striker

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
17 minutes ago
Subscriber only
  •  
  •  
  •  

Bruno Fornaroli is edging closer to the Melbourne City exit door, with the “trade” for Perth Glory’s Andy Keogh set to be completed by the end of the week.

City also look set to launch a marquee bid for Socceroo Jamie Maclaren as they near a stunning dual-solution to the striker crisis caused by the Fornaroli banishment.

City’s Manchester-based football chief Brian Marwood arrived in Melbourne this week and is engineering the audacious double swoop, with Melbourne-based chief Michael Petrillo meeting with Fornaroli on Wednesday.

SWAP: CITY’S SHOCK FORNAROLI TRADE GAMBLE

JETS: JOYCE HAILS CITY’S CHARACTER AFTER WIN

DROUGHT: LUCKLESS STRIKER WILL FIND ROOS FORM

Glory and City are both believed to have committed to offering their respective targets minimum 18-month contracts, which was the key to unlocking the deal.

If the Fornaroli-Keogh swap is completed, it sets up for an explosive clash between City and Perth Glory at AAMI Park on January 19.

City must offload Fornaroli to open up a marquee spot for Maclaren, who is on loan to Scotland’s Hibernian from German club Darmstadt.

0e7a05e45d7dfe755a8a5d1369941f86?width=1024Bruno Fornaroli looks to be on his way to Perth Glory. Picture: Stuart Walmsley

Despite Keogh, 32, likely to be offered similar wages to his current Glory marquee deal, it’s believed that City will attempt to squeeze him into the salary cap, with Warren Joyce signing Ritchie de Laet (on loan from Aston Villa) filling the other marquee spot.

Keogh’s predatory instincts appeal to Joyce, who managed the Irishman when he was a Leeds United youth team player.

As reported by the Herald Sun this week, City has backflipped on its vow not to release Fornaroli, 31, to another A-League club with its attempts to offload and replace him shackled by salary cap and squad size restrictions.

City’s preference was to offload Fornaroli overseas, but inquiries from Japan’s second division and lukewarm interest from elsewhere have not translated into formal offers.

City are now determined to complete the deal as soon as possible, to give it time to secure Maclaren or another marquee striker before the January 31 transfer deadline.

368138a776570dd76c0e8c0cb634b044?width=316Andy Keogh is Melbourne City’s No.1 target. 5d88cfea82c02085b49dfb720bd21a26?width=316City are also hunting Jamie Maclaren. Picture: Toby Zerna

Fellow Asian Cup Socceroo Andrew Nabbout, who trained with City while he was in Melbourne before the Asian Cup, is also on City’s wishlist but he remains contracted to Urawa Red Diamonds.

Melbourne-raised Maclaren, 25, started in the Socceroos’ loss to Jordan last Sunday.

He is contracted to Darmstadt until 2020 and has scored one goal in 12 appearances this season on loan after netting eight in 15 in last season’s Hibs stint, before his 11th hour World Cup call-up.

Adelaide United inquired about Fornaroli, but can’t afford the Uruguayan, contrary to suggestions that coach Marco Kurz has been handed a marquee war-chest.

City has another visa spot up its sleeve after Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran returned home due to homesickness.

Big Boss Marwood in town means we mean business get Bruno deal done, get marquee striker JMAC and we have won out of this situation and would give credit to CFG if they get all of this done. 

20 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Big Boss Marwood in town means we mean business get Bruno deal done, get marquee striker JMAC and we have won out of this situation and would give credit to CFG if they get all of this done. 

I don't know - time will tell. All because two grown men had "harsh words." We could have played Bruno and MO'H (once fit) and avoided the whole thing.

Hope it works out for us.

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic