Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I may be off base. Manchester City have to ballance their books according  to UEFA fair play regulations. So could they  be using us to assist with the ballance. My knowledge of City is not great. Take Arzani as an example; buy for 500,000 sell for 2,000,000. This type of profit on players signed (and who will never play for Manchester) helps ballance the books for a multi million pound signing. I am only speculating but it is a theory 

56 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

So whats the point of the worldwide City scouting network? Replacing our greatest ever player with an Aussie striker we will know about and not utilising a marquee spot properly. I like McLaren decent striker but the Heart could of recruited him as a marquee? Surely theres a Bobo type around that this scouting network knows about?

The point of the scouting network will still be to find useful visa players, but it will also be to locate and evaluate overseas Aussie talent - for example the likes of Boyle, or youngsters who have gone abroad but then not prospered, or who want to return.

I'm not sure I buy into this negative view of a "more Aussies" policy anyway. For a start we were looking for a credible identity. If we're seen as the go to place for (young) Aussie talent, if we're seen as the domestic nursery for the Socceroos, and as the place where Aussie talent can play in a decent professional environment as an alternative to a second or third rate overseas club, isn't that quite attractive, and distinctive? It will actually be great to see local talent develop, and then go on to bigger things if its good enough. And if that identity is strong enough, the Arzanis of this world might stay for two or three years, not just one. 

We're always going to be relative minnows in world football, but let's try and see some positives in this, rather than defaulting to whinge mode? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

The point of the scouting network will still be to find useful visa players, but it will also be to locate and evaluate overseas Aussie talent - for example the likes of Boyle, or youngsters who have gone abroad but then not prospered, or who want to return.

I'm not sure I buy into this negative view of a "more Aussies" policy anyway. For a start we were looking for a credible identity. If we're seen as the go to place for (young) Aussie talent, if we're seen as the domestic nursery for the Socceroos, and as the place where Aussie talent can play in a decent professional environment as an alternative to a second or third rate overseas club, isn't that quite attractive, and distinctive? It will actually be great to see local talent develop, and then go on to bigger things if its good enough. And if that identity is strong enough, the Arzanis of this world might stay for two or three years, not just one. 

We're always going to be relative minnows in world football, but let's try and see some positives in this, rather than defaulting to whinge 

All about developing Aussie talent mate love watching Mooy/Ryan run around in the EPL but for some of us to keep buying memberships year in year out id rather us buy players who are going to give us the best chance to win the league, not to watch us develop players who fuck off after a year

• Like 2

Just had a thought, always think better after breakfast. Hibernian were one of the clubs that wanted MOH before he came to Australia, could there be a swap deal be on the cards as their salaries will be similar. One back to the A League and the other back to the SPFL

16 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

All about developing Aussie talent mate love watching Mooy/Ryan run around in the EPL but for some of us to keep buying memberships year in year out id rather us buy players who are going to give us the best chance to win the league, not to watch us develop players who fuck off after a year

Duke, apologies if tagging my comment onto yours seemed like I was having a specific crack at you. Not the case, your comment was just a suitable starting point to run with an idea. And I agree with you, to win things there has to be some balance in this - and we do need to win things. But I'm inclined to be optimistic about the opportunities in being a go to place for domestic talent. We're already beginning to see it with Riley, Lachlan and Harrison. Pity we couldn't have hung on to Daniel for another season... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

We're always going to be relative minnows in world football, but let's try and see some positives in this, rather than defaulting to whinge mode? 

19 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

There's the debate summed up.

Simon Pearce intimated that in another 5 years most of the opposition to what CFG want to do will have evaporated. That's the timeframe. I think we know that an independent league is one objective. If removal of the salary cap is another - big if - then that will work in our favour too; we will be able to keep players longer.

32 minutes ago, neio said:

Yeah he did, but it's more the German club have to be happy with him coming here as well. It's not just between us and hibs 

McLaren and Caceres are essentially the same. McLaren's contract owned by Darmstadt, loaned to Hibs. Caceres' contract owned by Manchester City, loaned to us.

Edited by jw1739

I reckon the type of strikers that fit Wazza ball are ones that score from set pieces, so they either take them and score (ala Ross) or head them home (ala Timmy). Now given Wazza seems to value pressing ability over heading in goals that sort of player seems unlikely.

if our new striker needs team mates to play him in he’s likely to get very hungry 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 8:07 PM, Shahanga said:

I reckon the type of strikers that fit Wazza ball are ones that score from set pieces, so they either take them and score (ala Ross) or head them home (ala Timmy). Now given Wazza seems to value pressing ability over heading in goals that sort of player seems unlikely.

if our new striker needs team mates to play him in he’s likely to get very hungry 

That's why there's no real need for a true striker in his system, a CB can head a goal and a midfielder can score from a set piece

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

45 minutes in AFC, Aussies down 1-0 to Air Jordan and Maclaren looks absolutely dreadful, if this is the form he’s got to offer than I hope we don’t make him our number 9 

- no urgency to press

- poor touches

- poor positioning 

rather sign Bulut

Totally agree just a Pontiac. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Sooo if the rumours are true about MOH.. and Brunos departure is imminent.. realistically we should be looking to sign 2 defensive players this transfer period?? Or are we planning on sitting Bruno in the terrace until his contract runs out leaving us one marquee player down?

FTFY

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Basically reading most comments on here; with the current scenario, ladder standing and possible player departures, the club can really show if they mean business this transfer period - some fans are waiting with judgment after this transfer period.

You sure you didnt copy and paste this from last season? Or the season before, or the season before that?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Basically reading most comments on here; with the current scenario, ladder standing and possible player departures, the club can really show if they mean business this transfer period - some fans are waiting with judgment after this transfer period.

According to Joyce in his post-Newcastle presser (about 6.05 in - just before the end) we have signed Baccus, but only because we have let Anthony Caceres go. That is, we are hard up against the cap, so we can sign someone under the cap only if we let someone else go first.

Likewise, we are allowed only two marquees. For us to sign someone outside the cap, i.e. a marquee player, one of our existing marquees has to be released.

In summary, unless someone wants, and is given, a release, we ain't signing anyone.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to Joyce in his post-Newcastle presser (about 6.05 in - just before the end) we have signed Baccus, but only because we have let Anthony Caceres go. That is, we are hard up against the cap, so we can sign someone under the cap only if we let someone else go first.

Likewise, we are allowed only two marquees. For us to sign someone outside the cap, i.e. a marquee player, one of our existing marquees has to be released.

In summary, unless someone wants, and is given, a release, we ain't signing anyone.

Yep that would appear to be true. Assuming the MOH stuff is true, we have the ability to sign a visa player up to the wage level he was being paid at, as well as a marquee (visa) spot on the assumption Bruno is released. I think both assumptions are more than likely, however signing decent players in January isnt easy as most are under contract and may require transfer fees to release if they are actually in form, let alone being able to squeeze them under the cap restrictions in play.

According to Scottish papers Hibs are trying to get Maclaren off their books to free up wages to buy players in this window. This story is gaining momentum in Scotland and I have seen his name mentioned in a few places being a target of City. Joyce did say he like Australian players 

Edited by Inchcolm

Melbourne City set to backflip on Bruno Fornaroli’s future and release star striker to A-League rivals

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
3 minutes ago
Subscriber only

Melbourne City has backflipped on its vow not to releasemarquee superstar Bruno Fornaroli to another A-League club, with a sensational swap now on the cards.

Perth Glory sharpshooter Andy Keogh has emerged as a City target, leaving a marquee player “trade” now a real possibility.

City coach Warren Joyce, who is desperate for a striker, is interested in Keogh, who he managed when he was a Leeds United youth team coach in 2003-04, when the player first joined the Yorkshire club.

VICTORY: JOYCE HAILS CITY CHARACTER AFTER JETS WIN

CHANGE: CACERES JOINS FORNAROLI IN CITY EXIT QUEUE

DROUGHT: LUCKLESS STRIKER WILL FIND SOCCEROO FORM

Glory is considering tabling Fornaroli, 31, a multi-year, marquee deal, with City mulling over what terms to offer to Keogh, who scored his seventh goal of the A-League season in Sunday’s 4-2 win at Brisbane Roar.

Fornaroli, who is City’s record goalscorer, sensationally fell out with Joyce in late November and has not played since, with the club refusing to divulge the reasons.

It’s believed that high skinfolds and rumoured talks with another A-League club were behind Joyce’s decision, with a subsequent harsh exchange of words ending any hopes of a ceasefire.

93c671ff1994b29913b318e51db9f4ee?width=316Bruno Fornaroli celebrates a goal. Picture: George Salpigtidis fb5dd7d92a14e97135f9b30511f7877a?width=316Andy Keogh in action for Perth Glory.

City’s Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran has also been released from his contract due to homesickness – a hamstring injury resigned the ex-Rangers man made just one A-League appearance, as a late sub in the recent Melbourne derby – opening up another spot for attacking reinforcements.

“We’ll look (to sign) forwards. We’ll look at what movement we can do (out) and what we can do (signing players) and look in forward areas,’’ Joyce said.

A-League clubs are barred from paying transfer fees, which leaves City handcuffed and a swap the only option, with Fornaroli earning around $1.5 million per season.

A Japanese club inquired about Fornaroli and City’s preference was to sell the Uruguayan abroad, but his age and the fact that the Asian transfer market stretches into February, make it problematic.

The current A-League transfer window closes on January 31.

Fornaroli’s preference is to stay in Australia as he is edging closer to obtaining his Australian citizenship.

e6b1a4b082af2eaa95c29bdc41eeb311?width=1024Banished Melbourne City star Bruno Fornaroli watches on from the stands.

Adelaide United also entertained the idea of signing Fornaroli, but talks did not progress far.

Former Premier League striker Keogh, 32, has scored 47 A-League goals in 105 games for Glory.

Joyce has continually played a straight bat to questions about the reasons for the Fornaroli fallout, but has been searching for a like-for-like replacement with Lachlan Wales playing a make-shift role up front, with City battling hard to secure four wins, one draw and two losses in his absence.

Fornaroli, whose City contract was due to expire in May, has scored 54 goals in 76 games in all competitions.

He scored five goals in 10 games last season after returning from a broken ankle.

• Thanks 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic