Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Hope O'Halloran does not go and gets a good run in this busy Jan fixtures to show us his worth. Exciting prospects of a player. Would be a shame for him to go prematurely. 

A few weeks ago I'd have said it was curtains for O'Halloran - now I'm not sure sure. It's only worth releasing a player if he's either unhappy or can be replaced with someone definitely better.

Or, of course, you're in trouble with the cap.

Edited by jw1739

Quote from Caceres:

Sydney FC are the biggest club in the A-League and to get an opportunity to come here, back to my home city, and be part of a talented and successful team is one I couldn’t pass up.

“I think this will take my career to the next level and I am delighted to be part of a successful club that wants to win and push itself every day."

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Why would Brattan go to the struggling Wanderers. He plays.  Money can't be that much bigger.

MOH may want to leave but who will make an offer for him.

I would assume money would be exactly the same as he would be on loan and the entire wage has to be in cap now 

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Why would Brattan go to the struggling Wanderers. He plays.  Money can't be that much bigger.

MOH may want to leave but who will make an offer for him.

He had offers from 10 SPFL clubs before accepting City. One of them will certainly offer him a contract. 

17 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Why would MOH leave? havent read of him being unsettled or on the outer with Joyce?

I havnt read anything into his selections as he was coming back from injury, but last night must have been concerning for him. Down to 10 men and he brings on an 18 year old in his 4th bench appearance over him 

2 games in 5 days coming up will probably tell us exactly what Joyce thinks of him 

21 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Why would MOH leave? havent read of him being unsettled or on the outer with Joyce?

I am sure he is not unsettled with family living in Melbourne. As for having problems with Joyce or any other coach that would remain  private because neither MOH nor Joyce would make it public. Plain and simple for what ever reason, Joyce is not playing him. I am sure he did not come half way round the world to sit on the bench when he could be playing elsewhere.

He passed a fitness test and got the all clear scan first week in December. If he had any intention of starting in the next game he would have given MOH game time yesterday rather than Najjarine. I am sure he will be reading that Najjarine will be selected before him as long as Joyce is in charge. So we can expect to see him on the bench again next couple of weeks. That is if he has not gone.

9 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

I am sure he is not unsettled with family living in Melbourne. As for having problems with Joyce or any other coach that would remain  private because neither MOH nor Joyce would make it public. Plain and simple for what ever reason, Joyce is not playing him. I am sure he did not come half way round the world to sit on the bench when he could be playing elsewhere.

He passed a fitness test and got the all clear scan first week in December. If he had any intention of starting in the next game he would have given MOH game time yesterday rather than Najjarine. I am sure he will be reading that Najjarine will be selected before him as long as Joyce is in charge. So we can expect to see him on the bench again next couple of weeks. That is if he has not gone.

He just got cleared from a bad injury? A game where we are trying to hold onto a lead and with 10 men probably isnt an ideal situation to give someone minutes to get up match fitness

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

IMO you're reading too much into it. Once Griffiths received his marching orders O'Halloran wasn't going to come on. As for his relationship with Joyce, well, he's impressed enough to be included in the match-day squad only a month after receiving the clearance from a bad injury. So he's done well and earned his place pretty quickly.

A few weeks ago it looked to me that O'Halloran might have been on his way home. But I don't have that feeling now.

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're reading too much into it. Once Griffiths received his marching orders O'Halloran wasn't going to come on. As for his relationship with Joyce, well, he's impressed enough to be included in the match-day squad only a month after receiving the clearance from a bad injury. So he's done well and earned his place pretty quickly.

A few weeks ago it looked to me that O'Halloran might have been on his way home. But I don't have that feeling now.

I take on board what you are saying but I still believe he should have come on before Najjarine. Having been deemed fit to play against Victory he was a better choice more experienced, faster and stronger. Najjarine got out after a couple of minutes and got a yellow card.

33 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

I take on board what you are saying but I still believe he should have come on before Najjarine. Having been deemed fit to play against Victory he was a better choice more experienced, faster and stronger. Najjarine got out after a couple of minutes and got a yellow card.

I think you need to take a step back mate. He got the nod ahead of Najjarine in the Victory game - he was subbed in much earlier than the kid.

The way I see it, it's horses for courses. The situation in the victory game called for attack and hence he got the nod. Both Adelaide and WSW however were match saving scenarios. Yeah it would have been great to see him and i can see why you think we could have pinched another with him on, but you can totally understand that bringing him on would have been more risk than reward.

He'll get his go, stay patient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rass said:

I think you need to take a step back mate. He got the nod ahead of Najjarine in the Victory game - he was subbed in much earlier than the kid.

The way I see it, it's horses for courses. The situation in the victory game called for attack and hence he got the nod. Both Adelaide and WSW however were match saving scenarios. Yeah it would have been great to see him and i can see why you think we could have pinched another with him on, but you can totally understand that bringing him on would have been more risk than reward.

He'll get his go, stay patient.

So are you saying Najjarine is a better defensive player and that's why he got the nod. If so I disagree because in big games for St Johnstone, he played right midfield where he was defending more than attacking. I think many have got the wrong end of the stick He is a right winger and right midfield player not a striker or centre forward.

7 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

So are you saying Najjarine is a better defensive player and that's why he got the nod. If so I disagree because in big games for St Johnstone, he played right midfield where he was defending more than attacking. I think many have got the wrong end of the stick He is a right winger and right midfield player not a striker or centre forward.

No I'm not saying that at all.

I think in those circumstances, it's easy to understand why he didn't turn to MOH. I can see why the coach threw the kid on - great opportunity to see if he can sink or swim.

14 minutes ago, rass said:

No I'm not saying that at all.

I think in those circumstances, it's easy to understand why he didn't turn to MOH. I can see why the coach threw the kid on - great opportunity to see if he can sink or swim.

That's my point he preferred to play the kid. In your opinion did he sink or swim.

8 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

That's my point he preferred to play the kid. In your opinion did he sink or swim.

I thought he floated...

Look I haven't seen anything mega special from him yet and can't quite see the hype around him, especially when compared to Arzani so favourably - but it's obviously too early to tell - and Joyce is rightfully giving him minutes and exposing him to pressure situations.

I have no doubt MOH will soon be starting games, so i wouldn't panic yet mate.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rass said:

I thought he floated...

Look I haven't seen anything mega special from him yet and can't quite see the hype around him, especially when compared to Arzani so favourably - but it's obviously too early to tell - and Joyce is rightfully giving him minutes and exposing him to pressure situations.

I have no doubt MOH will soon be starting games, so i wouldn't panic yet mate.

Re Najjarine, I'd agree. Not yet living up to the hype. But on this I would trust Wazza. Delbridge looked a donkey at first but now looks the business, and Wales is increasingly looking like a shrewd investment, given his finish on Tuesday night. I suspect he might come good as well, and this time next year we'll be wondering why we didn't see it. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Re Najjarine, I'd agree. Not yet living up to the hype. But on this I would trust Wazza. Delbridge looked a donkey at first but now looks the business, and Wales is increasingly looking like a shrewd investment, given his finish on Tuesday night. I suspect he might come good as well, and this time next year we'll be wondering why we didn't see it. 

Not sure how many have seen it but a documentary on Netflix atm "Class of 92 - Out of their League" Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers buy a team in like League 7 n have discovered a promising young fella and send him straight to "the best eye for young talent they've seen" Warren Joyce. I know he was their clubs youth coach n could have been all for the documentary but those blokes who've won nearly everything definitely seemed like they believed in him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Not sure how many have seen it but a documentary on Netflix atm "Class of 92 - Out of their League" Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers buy a team in like League 7 n have discovered a promising young fella and send him straight to "the best eye for young talent they've seen" Warren Joyce. I know he was their clubs youth coach n could have been all for the documentary but those blokes who've won nearly everything definitely seemed like they believed in him

Excellent sports documentary whether you’re a football fan or not. Worth viewing to get a picture of the way clubs work from the inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

The issue with Wales is that he is being judged by us in his ability to lead the line as a striker (which is not his opinion) and most of the negativity towards Wales is just misdirected criticism of Joyce.

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

They believed in his eye for young talent not his ability to manage a first team.

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Remember Najjarine has just returned after shoulder surgery. As for Delbridge - was he known to Joyce at all, or is he with us as a result of our scouting network?

Probably in the wrong thread, but all of this makes me think that all Joyce does is use the "Chinese piano player method" - get enough promising young people together, work them hard at what they're good at, and eventually one (or more) of them must come good. Statistics at work. Manchester City use a variant of the same method - spend enough money on enough players and sooner or later one of them turns out to be a star. Doesn't mean you can spot talent at all.

The best managers are those who can extract the best from within the limits imposed on them - such as Arnold when he was at Central Coast.

• jw1739 pinned this topic