Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

28 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Tomi Juric rumoured

From Daily Telegraph article

We hear Adelaide United is one of the clubs interested in making a play for Juric’s services, having dropped its pursuit of ex-Sydney FC striker Bobo and still making do without injured marquee Baba Diawara.

Melbourne City say they haven’t been approached despite the club urgently needing a striker amid Bruno Fornaroli’s seemingly unavoidable exit.

and later on..

There’s a chance Anthony Caceres could be on the way to Sydney FC in January if City’s complex roster situation comes to a resolution. City are looking to free up some funds in their salary cup, partly to make space for new first-team regular Kearyn Baccus, who’s on a short-term injury replacement deal, and partly to assist in their quest for a new striker amid Fornaroli’s imminent departure.

13 hours ago, Jovan said:

Sorry to break the news but no chance.

To find a striker in January that will score on a ratio of 50 goals per 70 games is almost impossible. 

I'm hoping this standoff ends and like Tevez going back he returns and helps to win a trophy. (Also unlikely).

Captain Jamieson seems to have changed his tune on Fornaroli. Let's hope common sense prevails.

Bruno was never going to repeat his first season, but outside of a scouting miracle we're not going to find anyone better in a mid-season window.

Joyce needs to be a man. Shake hands with Bruno on a "misunderstanding" and move forward.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Amazing how the media continues to overlook this point. Bruno leaving has nothing to do with the salary cap situation.

Well the football media is very small here and seems like there is a few very experienced journos and the rest are new starts.

like the league, it will all take time to mature. I get the feeling that the rest of the aus public don’t see it as a serious league yet, kind of like how I look at the big bash league

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Amazing how the media continues to overlook this point. Bruno leaving has nothing to do with the salary cap situation.

I'm not sure.

If Bruno walks in January I don't think we can just sign a new Marquee and whatever player we get in must be in the cap. I may be wrong but from memory when we were discussing replacing Koren and later Colazo someone posted some rules regarding marquees. 

Either way I'm leaning towards both camps being stubborn and hoping nothing happens in January and Bruno returns angry out to prove himself like he did in his first season. 

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm not sure.

If Bruno walks in January I don't think we can just sign a new Marquee and whatever player we get in must be in the cap. I may be wrong but from memory when we were discussing replacing Koren and later Colazo someone posted some rules regarding marquees. 

Either way I'm leaning towards both camps being stubborn and hoping nothing happens in January and Bruno returns angry out to prove himself like he did in his first season. 

Absolutely that is my understanding. I'm not sure that a replacement marquee is actually proscribed, but in practice it's never happened AFAIK. Which means that any funds freed up if Bruno leaves can't be used on a replacement, because that replacement must be inside the cap.

As I see it, for us to be able to sign Baccus and a replacement striker, we would have to release (at least) two of the existing players.

FMD, every season...this situation annoys me. All these back-room resources and we can't get the squad right.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Or media knows now how we operate. If a marquee can be replaced we won’t be splashing the out of cap cash anway until we offload Bruno and make some of his wages available. We have strict budgets for marquee spending.

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm not sure.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely that is my understanding. I'm not sure that a replacement marquee is actually proscribed, but in practice it's never happened AFAIK. Which means that any funds freed up if Bruno leaves can't be used on a replacement, because that replacement must be inside the cap.

As I see it, for us to be able to sign Baccus and a replacement striker, we would have to release (at least) two of the existing players.

FMD, every season...this situation annoys me. All these back-room resources and we can't get the squad right.

We can replace Bruno as marquee to my understanding, however its subject to FFA approval, as every marquee is. As we know though, thats more of an FFA fallback for clubs attempting to circumvent the cap so I'd be pretty confident we could replace Bruno with a new marquee, provided its a new player, and not one on our books already.

In regards to replacing Koren there was no deals able to be done at the time with players CFG thought were worthy of the coin they were asking. You have to remember that in January players are still under contract generally speaking, so in most cases you'd need to pay a transfer fee to get a player worthy of marquee status out of the club they're already at.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Makes you wonder why the fruitloop`s at Bundoora couldnt keep it civil and behind closed doors until the end of the year and part ways without turning it into a circus.

I wouldnt be surprised if this was done purposely to get a transfer fee for him and get him off the books to "balance the books"

Same shit every year!!

7 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Bare in mind, Giuseppe Rossi, Emenike, Berbatov, and Agbonlahor are all free agent strikers.. Quick City

Nah these guys are old and cost money. I don’t recall Melbourne City really reinforcing themselves with high profile players midseason. Who’s our best midseason reinforcement - Jaliens, Vidosic, Novillo?

Edited by Mr MO

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Nah these guys are old and cost money. I don’t recall Melbourne City really reinforcing themselves with high profile players midseason. Who’s our best midseason reinforcement - Jaliens, Vidosic, Novillo?

Not that old all in the early 30s except berbatov (unless you consider that as old) but you’ve got a point ....Novillo has to be our best one but JVS is gone , Wazza is a whole different human 

Edited by Afif Adam

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Not that old all in the early 30s except berbatov (unless you consider that as old) but you’ve got a point ....Novillo has to be our best one but JVS is gone , Wazza is a whole different human 

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Bare in mind, Giuseppe Rossi, Emenike, Berbatov, and Agbonlahor are all free agent strikers.. Quick City

Why these when we can get this

image.png.4b067669d6559895410976167c660997.png

Wazza would love him, no?

4 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

Will they ever get themselves fit enough to pass the fat and fitness tests required by Joyce to play and can they drum up sufficient enthusiasm to be one of the best 10 outfield trainees when competing against the puppies. Or will Joyce change his spots..

What a game that was. 

As I recall Kewell got a standing ovation when he was substituted. Outstanding game.

Germano got the equaliser and then Willo pulled that one out to win it.

A busted arse club but 100% united on the field and in the stands and for better or worse we stood independent in the world.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

What a game that was. 

As I recall Kewell got a standing ovation when he was substituted. Outstanding game.

Germano got the equaliser and then Willo pulled that one out to win it.

A busted arse club but 100% united on the field and in the stands and for better or worse we stood independent in the world.

Engelaar was sent off in the 33rd minute, so we did it with 10 men.

Williams was on fire with 6 goals in that run of five wins on the trot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony999 said:

This game had around 7500 l believe yet our active area looked so full

I don't think there's any question about that. For the same attendance there are now more gaps on the wings and at the Southern End,  and more people at the Northern End.

The drift is, I suspect, partially some former Heart supporters moving ends to follow the GA seating, and partially some former Heart supporters giving up and new members going to cheapest seats.

Also, TBH I don't altogether trust some of the numbers being reported at the present time. I note that we no longer announce the attendance over the PA system. Just one of a number of things that make me wonder what we're doing and where we are going.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic