Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

...but how do we know there were even issues in the pre-season? From what I remember, the perception was we were going along smoothly. Bruno was leading the line, we had brought in our visas and the practice game results were good.

It's ok to say we had all off-season to sort things out, but if these problems have only surfaced recently, then how could we have done anything?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

...but how do we know there were even issues in the pre-season? From what I remember, the perception was we were going along smoothly. Bruno was leading the line, we had brought in our visas and the practice game results were good.

It's ok to say we had all off-season to sort things out, but if these problems have only surfaced recently, then how could we have done anything?

Well thats the issue that Clint Bolton raised. What happend that week of the Brisbane game which caused this?

See what gets me is that there has not been once Iota of an impression that Bruno has been on thin ice since pre season. There was the penalty issue, but I saw no drop off in effort. I also cant fathom that a story like that Sydney story being kept secret since pre season. There is no way a move like that would be able to have been kept quiet. 

So something has happened that week of the Brisbane game and it happened after the squad was announced. The annoying thing is that we will probably never know. Its also interesting to note that Bruno has not said a peep since this whole thing started.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dylan said:

See what gets me is that there has not been once Iota of an impression that Bruno has been on thin ice since pre season. There was the penalty issue, but I saw no drop off in effort. I also cant fathom that a story like that Sydney story being kept secret since pre season. There is no way a move like that would be able to have been kept quiet. 

So something has happened that week of the Brisbane game and it happened after the squad was announced. The annoying thing is that we will probably never know. Its also interesting to note that Bruno has not said a peep since this whole thing started.

IMO you're absolutely right. No way that Sydney story could have been kept quiet. IMO what has probably happened is that even after getting his season started with a nice goal against Wellington, Joyce demoted Bruno to the bench for the Brisbane match, and Bruno opened his mouth too wide. We have it on the authority of De Laet that Bruno hasn't missed a training session, and has come in every day with his usual smile. It's just Joyce throwing a power wobbly. FMD, two adults squabbling in a kindergarten sandpit.

In terms of transfers, it doesn't surprise me that the club has suggested Caceres look elsewhere - he hasn't made the most of the limited opportunities he's had. Brattan a bit more surprising, but one or both of them leaving would leave cap space to sign Baccus and possibly Djite as well. Fornoroli leaving might save the club some money, but it wouldn't free up any cap space, and a transfer to another A-League club wouldn't get them a cent in transfer fees, so it would only be of benefit if we were to sign a better marquee player - and I can't see that happening.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're absolutely right. No way that Sydney story could have been kept quiet. IMO what has probably happened is that even after getting his season started with a nice goal against Wellington, Joyce demoted Bruno to the bench for the Brisbane match, and Bruno opened his mouth too wide. We have it on the authority of De Laet that Bruno hasn't missed a training session, and has come in every day with his usual smile. It's just Joyce throwing a power wobbly. FMD, two adults squabbling in a kindergarten sandpit.

In terms of transfers, it doesn't surprise me that the club has suggested Caceres look elsewhere - he hasn't made the most of the limited opportunities he's had. Brattan a bit more surprising, but one or both of them leaving would leave cap space to sign Baccus and possibly Djite as well. Fornoroli leaving might save the club some money, but it wouldn't free up any cap space, and a transfer to another A-League club wouldn't get them a cent in transfer fees, so it would only be of benefit if we were to sign a better marquee player - and I can't see that happening.

Well its clear the club is not handling it well and its about time we saw some cracks appear under pressure. The whole censoring the Fornaroli footage at the ground is just sad and amateur.

I know I am a broken record but I just cannot fathom the club would be that daft in moving Fornaroli on.  He is the exact type of player we have been crying out for since the Heart days and he is a player you build an XI around rather than what Joyce has done and created some shitty style which isolates Fornaroli and he becomes way less effective.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well its clear the club is not handling it well and its about time we saw some cracks appear under pressure. The whole censoring the Fornaroli footage at the ground is just sad and amateur.

I know I am a broken record but I just cannot fathom the club would be that daft in moving Fornaroli on.  He is the exact type of player we have been crying out for since the Heart days and he is a player you build an XI around rather than what Joyce has done and created some shitty style which isolates Fornaroli and he becomes way less effective.  

When I read this https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/brattan-backs-fornaroli-reaction-at-city I find it difficult to believe that Bratts has been told he can leave.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When I read this https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/brattan-backs-fornaroli-reaction-at-city I find it difficult to believe that Bratts has been told he can leave.

The only way i can picture this in my head is if wazza has called them in and said "if you dont pick up your game your benched" or something like that and the player getting shirty about it, then Wazza firing back and saying if you dont like it your welcome to leave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

The only way i can picture this in my head is if wazza has called them in and said "if you dont pick up your game your benched" or something like that and the player getting shirty about it, then Wazza firing back and saying if you dont like it your welcome to leave. 

Just how I left my State League club haha!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

See what gets me is that there has not been once Iota of an impression that Bruno has been on thin ice since pre season. There was the penalty issue, but I saw no drop off in effort. I also cant fathom that a story like that Sydney story being kept secret since pre season. 

Even if we assume the Sydney rumour is true, what are we meant to take from that article? 

Sydney made enquiries about Bruno during the off season, therefore he was dropped for the round 5 match??

If the Sydney thing was such an issue, why wasn’t he dropped in the first 4 rounds?

One thing that I did find surprising at the time was Joyce having a go at Bruno in the post match presser for missing that penalty. 95% of the time I would expect a coach to protect his player. I’m still not sure if it was because Bruno was already drifting out of favour or because Joyce is that bad at man management/leadership.

Edited by Jacques Le Cube

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

"Warren's an honest guy and if you earn his trust he plays you. He's proven that in the past."

So if Warren doesnt like you he gets rid of you!

Fan favorite, amazing goal scoring record, one of the best imports, came back from a serious injury, scores for fun but wants to get rid of.

Melbourne City is a circus ......

49 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

"Warren's an honest guy and if you earn his trust he plays you. He's proven that in the past."

So if Warren doesnt like you he gets rid of you!

Fan favorite, amazing goal scoring record, one of the best imports, came back from a serious injury, scores for fun but wants to get rid of.

Melbourne City is a circus ......

That's exactly what it looks like. One has to wonder what he bases it on..footballing ability or personal? From all reports all 3 on the list are well liked within the club and are decent players. To bad one person makes the decision. 

5 hours ago, rayv36 said:

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

If this is true than we have lost the plot completely, why not get rid of players you aren't playing like griffith to make room for backwards baccus.

That's just the same rumour repeated.

Further, there's a short interview with Bratts on the club's Twitter. If he's been told he can leave he's disguising it very well indeed.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Nigeria international Emmanuel Emenike has declared himself the answer to the woes of goal-shy A-League clubs, offering his services on a performance-based deal should he come to Australia during the January transfer window.

Updated Updated 3 hours ago
By Dave Lewis

The top scorer at the Africa Cup of Nations in 2013, as the Super Eagles soared to glory, the 31-year-old striker parted company with Greek heavyweights Olympiacos in June, and is promising the likes of Sydney FC, Wellington Phoenix, Brisbane Roar or even Melbourne City a hat-full of goals if they decide to take a punt on him.

Whilst he has been active off the pitch in recent months with his marriage to Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria 2014, Iheoma Nnadi, Emenike is desperate to re-activate his on-field career after recovering from a knee injury which blighted an underwhelming loan spell at Las Palmas.

Valued at $28 million four years ago, he scored in the UEFA Champions League for Olympiacos last season but failed to fire in five league outings.

Engin Durmus, the Sydney-based agent with the mandate to bring the ex-West Ham, Fenerbahce and Spartak Moscow man to Australia, said the striker is confident of “tearing it up” in the A-League.

“He’s supremely confident and says he’s fit and raring to go again,” said Durmus. “He’s guaranteeing goals.

“He is looking for a new challenge and at 31 clearly has a lot of football left in him.

“Whether we get to see that in Australia I don’t know, but the desire is there and so is the quality.

“His expectation would be to come here and hit the ground running and deliver on those promises.”

Emenike has bagged 86 goals in 200-odd games in top flight club football, including a spell in the UAE.

He netted nine in 37 appearances for Nigeria, his last cap coming in 2015.

Aware that a near six-month hiatus from club football might raise doubts, he’s also informed would-be suitors he’s prepared to sign on a performance-orientated contract to sweeten any deals.

“That’s how much belief he has,” added Durmus, of AFS Sports Management.

“There are also possibilities in China but he’s looking very seriously at the A-League.”

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Nigeria international Emmanuel Emenike has declared himself the answer to the woes of goal-shy A-League clubs, offering his services on a performance-based deal should he come to Australia during the January transfer window.

Updated Updated 3 hours ago
By Dave Lewis

The top scorer at the Africa Cup of Nations in 2013, as the Super Eagles soared to glory, the 31-year-old striker parted company with Greek heavyweights Olympiacos in June, and is promising the likes of Sydney FC, Wellington Phoenix, Brisbane Roar or even Melbourne City a hat-full of goals if they decide to take a punt on him.

Whilst he has been active off the pitch in recent months with his marriage to Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria 2014, Iheoma Nnadi, Emenike is desperate to re-activate his on-field career after recovering from a knee injury which blighted an underwhelming loan spell at Las Palmas.

Valued at $28 million four years ago, he scored in the UEFA Champions League for Olympiacos last season but failed to fire in five league outings.

Engin Durmus, the Sydney-based agent with the mandate to bring the ex-West Ham, Fenerbahce and Spartak Moscow man to Australia, said the striker is confident of “tearing it up” in the A-League.

“He’s supremely confident and says he’s fit and raring to go again,” said Durmus. “He’s guaranteeing goals.

“He is looking for a new challenge and at 31 clearly has a lot of football left in him.

“Whether we get to see that in Australia I don’t know, but the desire is there and so is the quality.

“His expectation would be to come here and hit the ground running and deliver on those promises.”

Emenike has bagged 86 goals in 200-odd games in top flight club football, including a spell in the UAE.

He netted nine in 37 appearances for Nigeria, his last cap coming in 2015.

Aware that a near six-month hiatus from club football might raise doubts, he’s also informed would-be suitors he’s prepared to sign on a performance-orientated contract to sweeten any deals.

“That’s how much belief he has,” added Durmus, of AFS Sports Management.

“There are also possibilities in China but he’s looking very seriously at the A-League.”

It's finally happening gents.

We're signing Augustine Sokan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AXIOM said:

That's exactly what it looks like. One has to wonder what he bases it on..footballing ability or personal? From all reports all 3 on the list are well liked within the club and are decent players. To bad one person makes the decision. 

You dont get so many good players leave for nothing!! Our turn over is a joke.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's just the same rumour repeated.

Further, there's a short interview with Bratts on the club's Twitter. If he's been told he can leave he's disguising it very well indeed.

Some people are just bigger people. No doubt those players (if true) wont have a problem finding another contract!!

I cant think of many Aussie replacements so hopefully its not going from bad to worse.

Bobo for Bruno?

Adelaide United is investigating the prospect of landing Bobo, the A-League's record breaking striker, as Reds 2016 championship winning attacker Bruce Djite is also set to return to Australian shores.The Brazilian hit two hat-tricks and five doubles in his 35-goal haul for Premier’s Plate and FFA Cup winner Sydney FC last season before signing for Turkish Super League club Alanyaspor in the middle of the year.Bobo, 33, is understood to be contemplating a move back to the A-League during next month’s FIFA January transfer window after winning Sydney’s player of the year award in May.He has scored two goals for the 13th placed Turkish side in 11 league and cup appearances.It’s understood Adelaide had discussed the prospect of signing the marksman before announcing on Wednesday night that its marquee striker Baba Diawara had knee surgery.Now Adelaide is looking at whether Bobo is affordable before it makes an official approach for the Brazilian.

0d6b5404258fc3cc373d0b3c865ffe79?width=1024  

Baba, 30, will now be placed on the long-term injured list after playing just 27 A-League minutes off the bench in a 2-2 round two draw with Newcastle Jets at home where he reinjured his knee.He made two FFA Cup appearances before Adelaide won the final after the Senegalese had a wretched run with injuries last season.Adelaide coach Marco Kurz expects Baba to be out of action long term.“It (surgery) is always the last step after a lot of moments to control (the injury) with conservative programs, but they didn't work,” Kurz said after Reds training on Thursday.“Now we will see. I expect not a short-term injury.“I think we need longer time and that for us is not a good message.“But my focus is for the players that are available.“The rest is to the medical staff to bring Baba back how quick they can.”

Meanwhile, Djite, 30, is destined to make a return to Sydney — his home state in January — but it’s not clear whether he will continue his career with Sydney FC.The club does have room in its salary cap to sign another player as it prepares for AFC Champions League action as well as defending its A-League crown in the new year.Djite ended his contract with Indonesian club PSM Makassar in July.Djite has been contacted for comment.“I’ll know what I’m doing after Christmas,’’ Djite said yesterday. “At this stage, nothing has been decided.’’

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/adelaide-united-considering-transfer-move-for-prolific-brazilian-striker-bobo/news-story/e35f5a2367982c1b1ba9cc6573c392fa

18 minutes ago, haz said:

Thinking about this, I doubt it would happen. Wazza hates those South Americans with their flair and attacking intent.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yes please. He is an absolute gun

Agree would take him. Did he play as a striker at NJ? Because when played in the NT he hasn't been too special.

If he did sign him, he would end up getting benched after scoring another outside of the foot curler!

• Like 1

I am still trying to get my head around the Cap and Marquee system. Did read somewhere that the FFA pay all or part of a marquee salary and it is outside the cap? If this is the case can Fornaroli only be replaced by another marquee player? What constitutes a marquee player is it a foreign internationalist?

9 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

What constitutes a marquee player is it a foreign internationalist?

Originally,  a marquee was a player with an ability to draw attention to the A-League ex-star players, eg Yorke, Fowler, Del Piero, Heskey etc. Now as A-League clubs and the FFA can't compete with the MLS, CSL, and J- League to draw big-name ex-star players (Honda being the exception) , the marquee rule is now a loophole to get players who can't fit into the salary cap. 

Edited by Forever City
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

I am still trying to get my head around the Cap and Marquee system. Did read somewhere that the FFA pay all or part of a marquee salary and it is outside the cap? If this is the case can Fornaroli only be replaced by another marquee player? What constitutes a marquee player is it a foreign internationalist?

My understanding:

Marquee: Can be Australian or overseas player. Two allowed per club. Paid by club. Must be approved by FFA. Examples: Fornaroli, De Laet.
Full Season Guest Marquee: Can be Australian or overseas player. Must be approved by FFA. Part paid by FFA or sponsor (such as Fox Sports), and part paid by club as negotiated. Limited by funds available to FFA . Examples: Cahill, Honda. This is a relatively new venture, and so far there have been only two and only one per season.
Guest player: Allowed to play 14 matches. Must be approved by FFA. Limited to one per club. Paid by club. Example: David Villa (four matches). 

All the above sit outside the salary cap. However, marquees sit inside the numbers cap and the limit on 5 visa players.

Pretty sure that the Full Season Guest marquee and Guest players sit outside the numbers cap and limit on visa players.

• Thanks 1

My understanding:

Marquee: Can be Australian or overseas player. Two allowed per club. Paid by club. Must be approved by FFA. Examples: Fornaroli, De Laet.
Full Season Guest Marquee: Can be Australian or overseas player. Must be approved by FFA. Part paid by FFA or sponsor (such as Fox Sports), and part paid by club as negotiated. Limited by funds available to FFA . Examples: Cahill, Honda. This is a relatively new venture, and so far there have been only two and only one per season.
Guest player: Allowed to play 14 matches. Must be approved by FFA. Limited to one per club. Paid by club. Example: David Villa (four matches). 

All the above sit outside the salary cap. However, marquees sit inside the numbers cap and the limit on 5 visa players.

Pretty sure that the Full Season Guest marquee and Guest players sit outside the numbers cap and limit on visa players.

Thanks, any marquee must be approved by FFA therefore I assume he has to be or has been a special, hence Baccus could not replace Fornaroli as a marquee.

1 minute ago, Inchcolm said:

Thanks, any marquee must be approved by FFA therefore I assume he has to be or has been a special, hence Baccus could not replace Fornaroli as a marquee.

No way would Baccus be approved as a marquee. Nor would anyone else currently on City's books. And, TBH, I can't recall any marquee player being replaced by another one mid-season.

• Thanks 1

No way would Baccus be approved as a marquee. Nor would anyone else currently on City's books. And, TBH, I can't recall any marquee player being replaced by another one mid-season.

Not the exact case, but Mooy was bumped up into an empty spot.

• jw1739 pinned this topic