Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not quite true. In the 6 years in the U.K. he played in 63 matches, including 2 for Newcastle United, 5 for Dundee United and 9 for Bradford City. The problem was that he suffered a serious hip problem, and most of his matches were for the Newcastle U-23 side.

The last I read was that he has overcome that injury. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aussie-defender-curtis-good-chases-new-challenge-as-time-at-epl-side-newcastle-comes-to-an-end/news-story/64cb3bf8bd924f2011fc7907cc9d1a0b

He's still only 25. 

I apologize. I guess I shouldn't trust wiki 🤣

• Like 1

“City are expected to sign a marquee player, although it is unlikely to be a huge name.

Having been bitten by the Tim Cahill experience, City have opted to be more low key and concentrate on developing younger players that they can feed through the City Football Group's global system if they are good enough - such as teenage winger Daniel Arzani, who made a huge impression for the Socceroos at the World Cup before being signed by the group's flagship club, Manchester City. He is now on loan at Celtic.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/birighitti-answers-city-goalkeeper-call-and-returns-to-a-league-20180911-p502z6.html

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

“City are expected to sign a marquee player, although it is unlikely to be a huge name.

Having been bitten by the Tim Cahill experience, City have opted to be more low key and concentrate on developing younger players that they can feed through the City Football Group's global system if they are good enough - such as teenage winger Daniel Arzani, who made a huge impression for the Socceroos at the World Cup before being signed by the group's flagship club, Manchester City. He is now on loan at Celtic.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/birighitti-answers-city-goalkeeper-call-and-returns-to-a-league-20180911-p502z6.html

As long as its a Bruno, Novillo, brandan, Engeelaar type over the Koren & budzinksi type itll be fine

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Once we knew that he wasn't on an Etihad flight we should have realised that he wasn't coming to us.

Not true. Did some snooping and is you check out Mark B's girlfriends instagram (@carlyhowz) and you see her instagram stories under the australian flag, you will see her and Mark took an Emirates flight to Australia.

30 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

In other words melb city is an academy to develop kids so CFG can make a profit.  Nice.

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, I rather thought it would be Perth. Not Etihad, a connecting flight to Perth possible, another winger when we've got plenty, not foreign marquee material, and Perth have serious ambitions this year. 

the last time they showed this level of ambition they were cheating the cap

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 5

By my calculations we have 17 players signed to senior contracts. Minimum must be 20.

It appears that we will sign a fifth visa player, plus perhaps Good, and I'm tipping Najjarine to be offered a senior contract. Maybe one other Scholarship player as well. So we will go into the season with 20-21 players, plus some very talented Scholarship players and others in the Youth squad, and have a little room to move if we want/need to augment the squad going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

By my calculations we have 17 players signed to senior contracts. Minimum must be 20.

It appears that we will sign a fifth visa player, plus perhaps Good, and I'm tipping Najjarine to be offered a senior contract. Maybe one other Scholarship player as well. So we will go into the season with 20-21 players, plus some very talented Scholarship players and others in the Youth squad, and have a little room to move if we want/need to augment the squad going forward.

Budzik was announced on the 18th, I'm really hoping we will hear something end of this week or next week latest.

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

We have a deep forward line and midfield.

Bruno

Ohal

Floral

Bratts

Vids

Grif

Cas

McGree

Whale

Mal

Probably someone else I am forgetting too...

Depth all over the park IMO. Defence is not too bad either. Jamieson, Atkinson, Pierias, Delbridge, Schenkeveld, Metcalfe, La Rocca, with Griffiths who can come back as required. Delbridge has improved a lot, and we haven't conceded a goal yet, which says something. Good will be a bonus if he does come.

For me it's going to come down to which manager manages their squad best.

59 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

If we sign a foreign marquee forward/winger & Curtis Good, will our squad be on par with the Perth squad? 

Our defence is still a problem (yes yes I know we haven't conceded a goal yet) but Bart can't do everything himself. One injury for him and we're fucked!

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Depth all over the park IMO. Defence is not too bad either. Jamieson, Atkinson, Pierias, Delbridge, Schenkeveld, Metcalfe, La Rocca, with Griffiths who can come back as required. Delbridge has improved a lot, and we haven't conceded a goal yet, which says something. Good will be a bonus if he does come.

For me it's going to come down to which manager manages their squad best.

Eh quality over quantity in my opinion

Bart (CB) - 9/10 best CB in the league

Jamieson (LB)  - 7/10 good quality HAL player

Atkinson (RB) - 7/10 raw talent, defensive skills need improving though

Pierias (RB/LB) - 5/10 unknown how good he is, hope he breaks through

Delbridge (CB) - 5/10 gotten better, but still makes some donkey runs. Not a starter

Malik (CDM) - 4/10 not a CB

La Rocca (CB) - 7/10 when he played, but right now he's a AWOL

Griffiths (CDM) - Hes a CDM, can play CB but he shouldn't move from CDM.

As I have preached so many times, the weakest spot in the team is our 2nd CB. Our wingers are fine.

Just add up all the times errors from our centreback cost us a goal last year.

Imaging having two Barts as our CB pairing!

Edited by haz

15 minutes ago, haz said:

Why does Petrillo always have to be in the contract signing picture? Is this normal for other clubs in the world?

He's Director of Football. Joyce's boss. As I understand it he's the one in charge of contracts, compliance with the caps, etc. etc. Joyce is the head of the coaching team and is in charge of on-field issues.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's Director of Football. Joyce's boss. As I understand it he's the one in charge of contracts, compliance with the caps, etc. etc. Joyce is the head of the coaching team and is in charge of on-field issues.

Yea I realise that it is his position and so is applicable, but does he REALLY need to have his head in these photos?

Its not going to make me switch teams, but I hate the sort of people in a work environment that have to have their names or face on everything. Its about us signing/announcing a player, not him

Likewise there's plenty of people on here and other social media platforms lining up to pot Petrillo, not to mention Munn or any of the other backroom staff for all manner of shit they know nothing about; who can blame the club for being proactive and showing fans a glimpse of what they actually get done.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Do not disagree but I believe it would be naive not to have a natural centre forward in reserve just in case of injury. That is why in my opinion we need another centre forward. 

Bit hard to do with a salary cap. Because of that this league has players who can play usually in multiple positions.

If we did sign/have a back-up striker it would have to be youth or an NPL player

• Thanks 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic