Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, I think he's our number 10.

Yep, the club's announcement calls him an "attacking midfielder", Joyce called him "a creative attacking midfielder", and media reports he's a "playmaker" or a "box to box midfielder (here and here). 

It does seems like Berenguer played both centrally and as a winger in France, but my money is firmly on Joyce planning to play him centrally here.

We have a lot of versatility in attacking midfield with Frenchy, McGree, Vidosic, Caceres and Wales all capable of playing on the wing or in the middle. I think we'll see a fair bit of rotation during the season and during the games and can't really see anyone locked into 1 position unless they have some real standout games.

8 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

No offence taken. You a correct on all accounts. But my point was is he what the squad needs when there are so many others in that position.

Sorry not going to bite

With the A-League it is very important to get the best Australian talent possible due to the 5 visa’s rule. 

But it is also interesting that frenchy is a Left winger/AM and Ikonomidis is a similar position!

2 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

With Ikonomidis looking less likely now that we've signed a million midfielders, I wish we'd not signed Wales or Caceres.

Caceres was signed 2 seasons ago, not even by Joyce.

Wales was signed to be another potential "profit" for CFG. Imo he's been our worse player on the pitch in the first few games.

15 minutes ago, haz said:

Caceres was signed 2 seasons ago, not even by Joyce.

Wales was signed to be another potential "profit" for CFG. Imo he's been our worse player on the pitch in the first few games.

I know it's a subtle difference but, like Brattan, Caceres is on loan from Manchester City. Joyce is not obligated to include him in the squad. CFG could have found somewhere else for him, like last season, if he were to be deemed surplus (which IMO he is). I don't understand why we keep signing (and keep hearing rumours of) AMs, CMs and wingers if Anthony is seen as capable.

43 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

I know it's a subtle difference but, like Brattan, Caceres is on loan from Manchester City. Joyce is not obligated to include him in the squad. CFG could have found somewhere else for him, like last season, if he were to be deemed surplus (which IMO he is). I don't understand why we keep signing (and keep hearing rumours of) AMs, CMs and wingers if Anthony is seen as capable.

Joyce isn't obligated to select any one of our players. It is irrelevant that Caceres is a loan player - he's registered with us as a player.

IMO the general point to be made that it doesn't make sense - any sense - to have players whom the manager has no intention of playing, deemed "surplus," or however else you care to express it. That is just absolute stupidity when you have salary and numbers caps on the squad.

I, for one, don't wish to see a repeat of the situations we had last season with Brandan and Budzinski.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Joyce isn't obligated to select any one of our players. It is irrelevant that Caceres is a loan player - he's registered with us as a player.

IMO the general point to be made that it doesn't make sense - any sense - to have players whom the manager has no intention of playing, deemed "surplus," or however else you care to express it. That is just absolute stupidity when you have salary and numbers caps on the squad.

I, for one, don't wish to see a repeat of the situations we had last season with Brandan and Budzinski.

That's not really what my point was though. Caceres being a loan player is relevant, given I was replying to a comment saying he's been our player for 2 years. He went overseas last season and so there's nothing concrete tying him to us, except of course his return and registration to the club this season. Joyce must have wanted him, if we've got him again, and we're to believe he was upset at having lost him last year. It just seems an odd decision to me, as he's not been used much so far and he might keep getting pushed down the pecking order with each new signing for that position.

I, for two, don't wish to see any players rotting on the bench this season either - but I fear it might be inevitable with the way the club has recruited so far. I want to see better, more diverse and more transparent recruitment. I really do hope Anthony can play well this time around and add something to a role in which I don't think we've had anyone play effectively since Mooy's last season with the club.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that's the crux of this issue. 

O'halloran wasn't played in the last cup match and only 10 minutes in the first. 

Joyce has got form in making up his mind and pretty much sticking with it.

Its still early days.

37 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

A dominate CB or Ross ??

tough choose if we go with our hearts ♥️ 

but easy choice if we go with our Brain 

McGowan & Ross 😂

If it's with our hearts.... Nelly Yoa and that other kid who I've totally forgetten the name of

Edited by haz

Assuming the club would be willing to pay for Ross wage demands and they'd be willing to have another marquee in the striker position....the only reason I'd be upset with us not signing Ross is if we either use the marquee position on another Budzinski or don't even use the position at all. Only thing that would make it worse is if they above happened and CCM sign him. Then I'd be pissed. 

So I'm expecting the club won't disappoint and will make our second marquee position a high quality one. 

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Assuming the club would be willing to pay for Ross wage demands and they'd be willing to have another marquee in the striker position....the only reason I'd be upset with us not signing Ross is if we either use the marquee position on another Budzinski or don't even use the position at all. Only thing that would make it worse is if they above happened and CCM sign him. Then I'd be pissed. 

So I'm expecting the club won't disappoint and will make our second marquee position a high quality one. 

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The marquee would most likely be an unknown name going from previous seasons. Im keeping my fingers crossed for a CB. One Diego Polenta please!

(Can clubs whose window has shut, still loan players to a league where their window is still open?)

59 minutes ago, haz said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The marquee would most likely be an unknown name going from previous seasons. Im keeping my fingers crossed for a CB. One Diego Polenta please!

(Can clubs whose window has shut, still loan players to a league where their window is still open?)

That's fine if it's an unknown, but they have to be a top player in this league. I meant more a Budzinski like outcome.

7 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

John Terry is expected to sign a one-year contract with Spartak Moscow with an option for a further year, according to Sky in Italy. Another one to cross off the list. That surprised me him going to Russia thought he would have stayed in England.

They threatened to poison his dog if he didn't go. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic