Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The explanation I've seen in the past is that Sydney focuses very much on their starting eleven, so that their nine non-marquee starting players take up a lot of their cap - and then their remaining players are paid at or close to the minimum rate. I don't know how true that is, but it is a plausible explanation.

Sydney and Victory are also prepared to splash out on its two marquees.

A recipe for success i would say, don't you?

Nah lets just get that warm and fuzzy feeling about young players with $$$$$$ potential.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Nah lets just get that warm and fuzzy feeling about young players with $$$$$$ potential.

In hindsight it does seem that Sydney and Victory have picked their marquee targets very well. Sydney's strategy of loading up on the starting XI also seems to have delivered. Arnold seems to have been extraordinarily "lucky" with injuries - or perhaps had a very competent medical/physio team behind him - or both. We always seem to have a player who gets injured and then disappear into oblivion - La Rocca being last season's example.

If they get De Jong they will have the best XI yet again almost.

De Jong> Ninkovic> LeFondre> DeSilva 

Our XI for bar Bruno and Bart fails into insignificance to there’s.

A much better strategy whereas ours is looking for best young talent and they leave after a good season. Sydney had success in the last 2 season cause they kept the core and added in stars like Adrian like they are doing this season with De Jong. 

If CFG have any intent and ambition these 2 visa spots and 1 marquee better be up to scratch. 

All of our European scouts and the best they could find last season was Budzisnki I agree he was our second to third choice but really, compared to Victory finding George and Sydney finding Adrian. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In hindsight it does seem that Sydney and Victory have picked their marquee targets very well. Sydney's strategy of loading up on the starting XI also seems to have delivered. Arnold seems to have been extraordinarily "lucky" with injuries - or perhaps had a very competent medical/physio team behind him - or both. We always seem to have a player who gets injured and then disappear into oblivion - La Rocca being last season's example.

Yeah it's not that hard to do that, it just shows these teams are committed and willing to put the best 11 on the park with the best chance to win the league. In a lesser extend they don't have to worry about overseas stake holders and return on investment 

• Like 2

Interesting debate regarding having a stacked 1st XI and budget backups. I'm not convinced it's the best approach. Okay Sydney did it for 2 seasons in a row but that still doesn't fully support that approach. They had 3 outliers that probably won't happen again for a while  (IMO). Firstly they had by far the best coach in the League at the top of his game (and Fwiw I hate Arnolds guts) secondly none of their main players missed any significant games and thirdly and mostly overlooked they stretched their cap with promises and bullshit in upcoming season's that to me is unethical. 

Now if Sydney do it again this season with a lesser coach and more cap scrutiny then I'll stand corrected. 

We on the other hand are extremely well placed to complete a very strong and balanced 16/17 squad. Just because we still haven't filled our last 2 important places yet doesn't mean we won't. We have arguably the best striker already and Marquee and arguably the best CB. O'Halloran could possibly be the best winger.

So we nail the last 2 spots in the next 4 or 5 weeks we will have the best list on paper this club has every seen.

Edited by Jovan
Obviously this post is made in August ask me again in December m
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

If they get De Jong they will have the best XI yet again almost.

De Jong> Ninkovic> LeFondre> DeSilva 

Our XI for bar Bruno and Bart fails into insignificance to there’s.

A much better strategy whereas ours is looking for best young talent and they leave after a good season. Sydney had success in the last 2 season cause they kept the core and added in stars like Adrian like they are doing this season with De Jong. 

If CFG have any intent and ambition these 2 visa spots and 1 marquee better be up to scratch. 

All of our European scouts and the best they could find last season was Budzisnki I agree he was our second to third choice but really, compared to Victory finding George and Sydney finding Adrian. 

It's a difference in approach. Rather like buying shares. CFG are looking for the undervalued player who will give a marquee performance (the undervalued share that will give you a capital gain plus income). Sydney in particular go for the proven player that they have to pay more but is very likely to go on performing for them (the share that is providing a steady dividend income). That's how I look at it anyway.

Having worked for big multinational companies, I can say that being part of one is quite often a hindrance rather than a help. Too many layers of management, too many egos to pander to. It's very obvious that Marwood calls the shots here in Melbourne. You can point to Budzinski as being a disappointment as a marquee, but of course you can also point to McCormack as being an injury replacement that we would not have had if not part of CFG. Likewise Novillo. Swings and roundabouts.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Really? Show me where a club has 'splashed out' in the past and been successful. And can you show me where someone has actually said they would have a preference of young players developing over wanting a marquee of high quality.

• Like 1

60 odd days till Victory game in RD 1 so ideally we would want to have squad finalised by half way through September so the team can gel and have continuity.

this is because all WJ said in early rounds that he had to build new players up and thus not play in the first part of the season this shouldn’t be a excuse this season 

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Really? Show me where a club has 'splashed out' in the past and been successful. And can you show me where someone has actually said they would have a preference of young players developing over wanting a marquee of high quality.

You can huff and puff all you want, the point I am making is that a successful team always has visa's and/or marquees that are the best players on the pitch and match winners, deny it all you want but it is the truth. 

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Budzinski as being a disappointment as a marquee

Its because he wasn't played however stats show that he was one of our best when he was on the park and even out of position.

Yes it was a mistake signing him, however the bigger mistake was not playing him every game.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The explanation I've seen in the past is that Sydney focuses very much on their starting eleven, so that their nine non-marquee starting players take up a lot of their cap - and then their remaining players are paid at or close to the minimum rate. I don't know how true that is, but it is a plausible explanation. Sydney is also prepared to splash out on its two marquees.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

I agree totally about having visas and marquees that are the best. This whole time you've just made completely incorrect assumptions without reading my comments. And I think you're just struggling with making your point. As above this indicates that you're saying the recipe is to 'splash out.' Splash out is spending more than usual, however as I pointed already no team up until now has 'splashed out' in order to win titles

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I agree totally about having visas and marquees that are the best. This whole time you've just made completely incorrect assumptions without reading my comments. And I think you're just struggling with making your point. As above this indicates that you're saying the recipe is to 'splash out.' Splash out is spending more than usual, however as I pointed already no team up until now has 'splashed out' in order to win titles

so we agree. Awesome

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Jovan has already demonstrated that other countries already have quotas, just as we do. My point is that IMO the quotas that we already have are sufficient for both Australian players in general and for young Australian players in particular.

And shock horror they vary from country to country 

11 minutes ago, Forever City said:

IMO we need 3 positions filled.

LW ( Ikonomidis) CB (Gulum or McGowan?) CM/CDM (Marquee/Visa).

Last I heard Gulum was back in Turkey but there has been no announcement yet of his new club.

From your post, we would still have a visa spot free. IMO that should be filled. Can we find a VISA who is better then Ikon or Gulu/McGowan? I think we should be able too, but I dont know what the club's opinion is.

28 minutes ago, Forever City said:

IMO we need 3 positions filled.

LW ( Ikonomidis) CB (Gulum or McGowan?) CM/CDM (Marquee/Visa).

I’m a 23 man squad I’d be surprised if we signed another CDM with Brattain Malik and Griffiths already filling that Position.

If McGowan falls through I’d expect a visa CB and a Visa CAM or winger.

Look, I believe and many others that we do not have a championship winning team. We still have a marquee and Visa spot left so it is up to CFG to sign 2 awesome ex-european players imo if we want a chance of truly succeeding this season and be a top team this season.

If we do not sign a Visa and marquee then it is up to wazza to get his tactics right or else we will fail this season (failing is not making top 3.)

City has the true potential of being a championship winning team but if Melbourne City scouts do not look for good players (many free agents out there who played in Europe), then we will not succeed this season.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Look, I believe and many others that we do not have a championship winning team. We still have a marquee and Visa spot left so it is up to CFG to sign 2 awesome ex-european players imo if we want a chance of truly succeeding this season and be a top team this season.

If we do not sign a Visa and marquee then it is up to wazza to get his tactics right or else we will fail this season (failing is not making top 3.)

City has the true potential of being a championship winning team but if Melbourne City scouts do not look for good players (many free agents out there who played in Europe), then we will not succeed this season.

Failing is not making top 2 and a competitive premiership race being close to the very end at least and a GF in the finals.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Failing is not making top 2 and a competitive premiership race being close to the very end at least and a GF in the finals.

I think with CFG in mind, this would be the club's goals this season

In no order:

1. Discover/Sign a profitable young player to Manchester (Atkinson, Genreau, ... ?)
  2. Qualify for ACL (marketing reasons)
  3. Silverware
  4. Finish top 3
  5. Average attendance (excluding derbys) above 10k

I dont think there will be any requirement anymore for 'exciting brand of football'. I dont mind this, as long as we win. In my opinion, I loved winning the first four games last season.

Edited by haz

One thing I would still really like brought in is a back up striker, one that is different to Bruno as well. 

Clubs have worked out how to play Bruno a little bit I think (he is still a star and very effective) so on those days he is having a quiet day, it would be good to have a genuine second option with some pace 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, neio said:

One thing I would still really like brought in is a back up striker, one that is different to Bruno as well. 

Clubs have worked out how to play Bruno a little bit I think (he is still a star and very effective) so on those days he is having a quiet day, it would be good to have a genuine second option with some pace 

Too bad we missed out on Mat Simon...

1 hour ago, haz said:

I think with CFG in mind, this would be the club's goals this season

In no order:

1. Discover/Sign a profitable young player to Manchester (Atkinson, Genreau, ... ?)
  2. Qualify for ACL (marketing reasons)
  3. Silverware
  4. Finish top 3
  5. Average attendance (excluding derbys) above 10k

I dont think there will be any requirement anymore for 'exciting brand of football'. I dont mind this, as long as we win. In my opinion, I loved winning the first four games last season.

I don't think that CFG care too much about no. 5. You don't build interest in the club by going on about "return on investment." I'd say no. 2 is the most important, followed by no. 1. And I'll stick my neck out and say that if Arzani does well at Celtic he'll be sold to the highest bidder.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that CFG care too much about no. 5. You don't build interest in the club by going on about "return on investment.".

5. is more so 'the more supporters, the more chance to advertise our brand'

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

followed by no. 1. And I'll stick my neck out and say that if Arzani does well at Celtic he'll be sold to the highest bidder.

Yea no different to Mooy. I hope Atkinson has an even better season but stays for a 3rd. As for Genreau (unless his loan goes tits up) I cant see him playing for us again.

10 hours ago, neio said:

Dario bobbed up a couple times last season a could see him filling a void if need be. Do we have any youth strikers that could do a job off the bench?

Quality Strikers normally don’t come cheap. 

Edited by Missing_Moy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Dario bobbed up a couple times last season a could see him filling a void if need be. Do we have any youth strikers that could do a job off the bench?

Quality Strikers normally don’t come cheap. 

Agreed. This is not a priority for spending. We've got cover in Vidosic, and almost certainly good youngsters (Najjar?). Bruno could do with an attacking foil, from the wing or midfield, to give him space, though. This, and a strong central defender, are the obvious gaps in the squad. As I think we've all agreed many times. 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I think there are too many underrating Griffiths signing IMO.

I find myself agreeing with you. Several of our signings are being discounted because they're not glamorous, even though they may prove to be astute and effective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I find myself agreeing with you. Several of our signings are being discounted because they're not glamorous, even though they may prove to be astute and effective. 

Agreed. Nothing wrong with any of our additions so far - O'Halloran, McGree, Caceres, Wales, Griffiths. Indeed, if they had all been signed by one of our rivals there would be plenty of grumbling on here that we weren't doing enough.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. Nothing wrong with any of our additions so far - O'Halloran, McGree, Caceres, Wales, Griffiths. Indeed, if they had all been signed by one of our rivals there would be plenty of grumbling on here that we weren't doing enough.

Granted we need a high quality visa/marquee. But outside of that happening clearly you haven't got the memo that everything is a disaster.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Afif Adam said:

Tasuku Sekiya why is this guy not playing in the A-league !

Same reason as most NPL guys. Job Pay + NPL Pay > A League minium salary.

Even if they got paid the same, some might not want to warm a bench if they were the best player in their NPL team

• jw1739 pinned this topic