Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Yeah it's so satisfying finish 4th every year and going out in the first week of the finals #draintheswamp

Which big name did Sydney have the last 3 season? Which big name did the tards have when they won last season? 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Heard some rumour about CFG wanting Marchisio. Probably will not happen if it does it would be nice to see a talented player like him possibly making an impact on the A-League. Haven't seen a player like Marchisio play here since Mooy. 

Since there is interest already from the MLS he won't come here

Do not need to hi-jack anyone. Be patient, I am sure our choice of signings have been identified, it will take time to make them happen. I am sure most of the players we are interested in are weighing up their options. All will become clearer when the transfer windows about to close.  I hope one is a centre half.

4 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Must be their marquee with those wages 

Thats market value, not wage.

The average salary is around $525k AUD. Monterry is not the biggest team but above average popularity (they did win the comp two seasons ago). It seems he does always play 90 minutes hence he would be an important player. I would assume he would be on max $1m AUD a year.

6 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Do not need to hi-jack anyone. Be patient, I am sure our choice of signings have been identified, it will take time to make them happen. I am sure most of the players we are interested in are weighing up their options. All will become clearer when the transfer windows about to close.  I hope one is a centre half.

Just creating some conversation mate

19 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

so Milligan’s signed for Hibs so definitely not coming here 

So our only rumors atm are Ikonomidis, Birighitti, D.McGowan (?), 

There has been a small whisper about Marchisio, McCormack and Vermaelen but these are all BS.

2 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Probably is 99% bs but that 1% is hope to see Ross back

If I were Ross I would "do a Winston Bogarde" and stay at Aston Villa until my contract expires on 30th June 2020. Two years to go on an annual salary of 2.3m GBP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If I were Ross I would "do a Winston Bogarde" and stay at Aston Villa until my contract expires on 30th June 2020. Two years to go on an annual salary of 2.3m GBP.

The problem is he is not getting game time. And I would think Ross would rather go to a club where he knows he will get game time such as been rumored to Sunderland and back to Rangers

On 8/18/2018 at 0:15 PM, n i k o said:

Which big name did Sydney have the last 3 season? Which big name did the tards have when they won last season? 

I was more alluding to the end of your post, where it seems that people are more proud of the club for developing youth, despite the fact we haven't won any trophys and that's what we should be aiming for 

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I was more alluding to the end of your post, where it seems that people are more proud of the club for developing youth, despite the fact we haven't won any trophys and that's what we should be aiming for 

Do you think a rule change should take place where you must include X amount of Australian under 21s in the starting line up, as well as your marquees, foreigners and Australians? 

I'd rather see EVERY club play some youth, rather than washed up journey men. It'll give player's a pathway rather than ending up at some state league division 4 club. 

12 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Do you think a rule change should take place where you must include X amount of Australian under 21s in the starting line up, as well as your marquees, foreigners and Australians? 

I'd rather see EVERY club play some youth, rather than washed up journey men. It'll give player's a pathway rather than ending up at some state league division 4 club. 

Id rather there be less rules in general

31 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I'd love to see it but generally just creating more and more rules creates more problems than it solves 

The German bundesliga has a system where clubs that gives the most minutes to young players receive cash bonuses 

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

Its hard to say if this rule change would be effective. I'm always a big believer that the best players should be in your starting team, regardless of age, but atm theirs very little incentive for clubs to play youth over experience.

We've always been a club which has really prided itself on developing Australian youth players but i feel in all my years of supporting heart/city it has come at the detriment to the overall clubs success.

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

I think the bench should be increased to 7 and there has to be X amount of under 23s in your match day squad. I'm not sure what the number should be, as we still want the league to progress forward and not just he a youth development league 

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The club can come to some agreement and buy out some or all of his contract. I am sure that is what MOH did with Rangers. I was stated he was on £8,000 a week and he had 2 years left on his contract. (£416,000). I am sure he would not have left without some sort of buy out or he would have stayed for the 2 years worth of money. 

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

I'd love to see it but generally just creating more and more rules creates more problems than it solves 

The German bundesliga has a system where clubs that gives the most minutes to young players receive cash bonuses 

I think the cash bonus would be an idea. It helps promote youth that helps the sport grow to an extent. Maybe i used the wrong word and should of used the word incentive. 

2 hours ago, AntiScum said:

No. There already have to be three in the senior squad. That's enough now that there is the capacity to have a further 6 Scholarship players outside the cap. There are already too many rules in the A-League IMO. Every new rule creates further inflexibility and discourages further investment in the league.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Its hard to say if this rule change would be effective. I'm always a big believer that the best players should be in your starting team, regardless of age, but atm theirs very little incentive for clubs to play youth over experience.

We've always been a club which has really prided itself on developing Australian youth players but i feel in all my years of supporting heart/city it has come at the detriment to the overall clubs success.

It`s a tough one and although players should play regardless of age i agree you need to be successful to grow the club. Every play should play on there merits rather than thrown in for a rule.

If you look in the UK you have under age players always playing in over aged comps. Whereas here its always you stick to your age group.

51 minutes ago, neio said:

I think the bench should be increased to 7 and there has to be X amount of under 23s in your match day squad. I'm not sure what the number should be, as we still want the league to progress forward and not just he a youth development league 

This would be the best way to go about it. You have youth mixed in with internationals and experienced Aussies would help the talent pool greatly.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No. There already have to be three in the senior squad. That's enough now that there is the capacity to have a further 6 Scholarship players outside the cap. There are already too many rules in the A-League IMO. Every new rule creates further inflexibility and discourages further investment in the league.

If its done right it`ll work. Bench increase would be one of the better ways to do it.

12 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

If its done right it`ll work. Bench increase would be one of the better ways to do it.

Totally against messing about with "rules" to create our own head-in-the-sand variety of football. We already have the AFL. You're just getting further and further out of step with other countries in the AFC. We are already out of step with visa players. It's a global game. Play it as everyone else does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Totally against messing about with "rules" to create our own head-in-the-sand variety of football. We already have the AFL. You're just getting further and further out of step with other countries in the AFC. We are already out of step with visa players. It's a global game. Play it as everyone else does.

IMO Football will never be anything but a 3rd tier sport in this country, while its being run the way it is. Hence the reason its lagging compared to the rest of the world.

How do you take an Aussie team into the Asian Champions League with a salary cap of $2.275m and expect the game to grow?

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Well that's where you've misunderstood. Firstly my last post the point was Sydney and the tards didn't have big name marquee and still won titles, contrary to what you're alluding to. Secondly in the end of my original post I said I take pride in developing young players as opposed to signing a big name marquee. I never said anything about not wanting to win trophies any less though. You assumed that. Based on your comments I can only conclude that think that the club not signing a big name marquee means we don't prioritise winning any trophys. This brings us back to my example....which big name did Sydney or the tards have...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

And the AFC is out of step with the rest of the world by having quotas at all, whats your point ? every nation faces unique challenges 

7 hours ago, Chris p said:

And the AFC is out of step with the rest of the world by having quotas at all, whats your point ? every nation faces unique challenges 

Actually most leagues have quotas.

Germany's Bundesliga 1 and 2 do not have a maximum foreign player limit, but instead a minimum "local" player limit. At least 8 players must have played for the club in three seasons each before turning 25, and at least 4 further players must have done the same at any German club.

France's Ligue 1 appears to have a limit of five foreign players (with a similar meaning as above) and further allows only four to be playing on the field at any time. However sources on this are unclear as to whether the five is actually four (and thus the second limit is unnecessary). Actual regulations are not easy to find.

English Premier League currently requires a minimum of 6 "home-grown" players in the match list of 18, which is expected to rise to 7 and additionally require a "club-grown" player in 2018-19.

Notably this rule explicitly disregards nationality or citizenship. Such players must have played three seasons or three years for an English or Welsh-affiliated club before or during the year they turn 21.

So as far as rules go every League pretty much has its own set, which is more beneficial is up for debate and most notably beneficial for who?

9 hours ago, Chris p said:

@Jovan has already demonstrated that other countries already have quotas, just as we do. My point is that IMO the quotas that we already have are sufficient for both Australian players in general and for young Australian players in particular.

32 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sydney FC is rumoured to sign Siem de Jong (ex Ajax captain)....I really start to wonder how Sydney FC again manages to squeeze all these players in their cap. They only just signed Le Fondre.

The explanation I've seen in the past is that Sydney focuses very much on their starting eleven, so that their nine non-marquee starting players take up a lot of their cap - and then their remaining players are paid at or close to the minimum rate. I don't know how true that is, but it is a plausible explanation. Sydney is also prepared to splash out on its two marquees.

• jw1739 pinned this topic